Who rates resorts?

Beca

Apparently, we all have more money than brains!!!
The "superiority" thread has me thinking....I know some people have stated what "ratings" the resorts have received, and I never can remember what they are (I guess it really doesn't matter THAT much to me!!). But, now I am curious....who is the governing body that determines resort ratings, and is there a place I can go online to find them?

TIA,

:wave:

Beca

You're probably thinking of AAA, which has its "diamond" ratings for hotels and resorts.

AAA is probably the most prolific hotel-rating organization, with its one-to-four diamond rating system. AAA has one of the most sophisticated systems, because it has a narrative description for about a dozen different types of hotels, and so the ratings are not absolute, but are specifically with respect to the description of the type of hotel. For example, perhaps a two-diamond "resort hotel" could be, depending on what you're looking for, better than a three-diamond "country inn".

There are also several other long-standing hotel rating services, such as Mobil Travel Guide and Fodors. Mobil is even more detailed in its assessments, and more specific with regard to type of accommodation, than AAA.

Incidently, Mobil rates about all of Disney's deluxe resorts, as well as CSR and POR, as three-stars (out of five). All Disney's value resorts, and CBR and POFQ, are two-star resorts. Again, each is evaluated not against all other resorts, but strictly against other resorts in their same class. To get four-stars in Orlando, in the deluxe category, you need to stay at the Ritz-Carlton or The Peabody. Those are the only two four-star hotels in Orlando. There are no five-star hotels.

However, they're not the only ones. Many folks now are putting themselves forward as independent judges of hotels. Hotels.com did a whole set of commercials claiming that they rate thousands of hotels ("so we don't have to....")

I'm not sure what thread you are talking about, but TUG members rate the timeshare resorts that get quoted a lot on these boards. Disney always gets very high ratings.

Interesting!! And, thanks for the replies!!

So, there is no STANDARDIZED governing body who determines what "star" rating a hotel is? That strikes me as VERY strange.

I got on one website last night (I think it was hotelratings.org), and they gave BWI and YC/BC 4 stars, and CR and the Poly only 3 stars...I was shocked!!

Hmmm...I always thought these "stars" were an achievement for a hotel...like ONE organization had the final say, I guess I was wrong.

This is very interesting!!

Beca

Also note that the free standing DVC resorts (SSR, OKW) often get lower ratings because they don't offer room service and valet parking...so those ratings are pretty "subjective".

So, there is no STANDARDIZED governing body who determines what "star" rating a hotel is? That strikes me as VERY strange.
Not at all. The United States is a strongly capitalist nation, and relies on competition for that strength. The only place where standardization is imposed is where it is in the national interest. Hotel ratings don't qualify.

In another thread yesterday we were discussing college entrance exams. In some countries, like the UK, these exams are standardized and imposed by a single governing body. Here in the United States, there are two competiting governing bodies, each administering their own set of college entrance exams. Each university decides for itself which of the two to acknowledge, if either.

There are many other examples of where the United States has competition among standards, instead of a single-source.

I had forgotten that OKW didn't have room service. That would be a major down-side for me. Thanks for the reminder.

Beca said:
Interesting!! And, thanks for the replies!!

I got on one website last night (I think it was hotelratings.org), and they gave BWI and YC/BC 4 stars, and CR and the Poly only 3 stars...I was shocked!!

Hmmm...I always thought these "stars" were an achievement for a hotel...like ONE organization had the final say, I guess I was wrong.

This is very interesting!!

Beca

THose sound like AAA rating. they are the same. the people who are rating the places for AAA don't like dark rooms. So they give other excuses but Polyn, AKL and WL will be only 3 stars until AAA gets another person to this job.

AAA gives 5 stars....they are none in the Orlando area. Miami has several....Hey do you think AAA could get the person in Miami to move to Orlando......

Someone doesn't like dark - so Polyn, AKL and Wl pays for that.

to be a 4 star requires room service - so no moderate will ever get it.

OKW and SSR don't have room service - so they can't get a 4 star from AAA.

spiceycat said:
THose sound like AAA rating. they are the same. the people who are rating the places for AAA don't like dark rooms. So they give other excuses but Polyn, AKL and WL will be only 3 stars until AAA gets another person to this job.

AAA gives 5 stars....they are none in the Orlando area. Miami has several....Hey do you think AAA could get the person in Miami to move to Orlando......

Someone doesn't like dark - so Polyn, AKL and Wl pays for that.

to be a 4 star requires room service - so no moderate will ever get it.

OKW and SSR don't have room service - so they can't get a 4 star from AAA.

Thank you, Spiceycat! That makes a lot of sense. My entire life I thought resort ratings actually meant something....like there was a set standard that determined these things...gosh....I feel like I did when I learned Santa wasn't real. It's a good thing Mickey's around!!! It's nice to know SOME things are still real in this world!!! :earboy2:

Beca

I understand the no 4* for no room service if you are talking about a hotel, but it seems to me timeshares are different enough that they probably need a different set of standards. If I had to rate the DVC TIMESHARE resorts, I would say they would all get at least 4*'s. Some have certain things I like better than others, but all are certainly worthy of 4 *'s.

AAA does not rate timeshares.

it is their hotel service that these timeshares are being rated for with AAA.

WDW has long wanted a 5 star. but until AAA gets raters who are fairer in the Orlando area. WDW had best spend their money on DVC or the parks.

the new ritz-carlton does not have a 5 star.....see how difficult it is in Orlando to get a 5 star. the Hyatt don't have one either.

Beca,

Hotels and timeshares are rated just like movies: anyone with a website (or newspaper column, or guidebook, or ....) can hand out stars and diamonds! ;)

Bicker's right - this way you are not held hostage to only one group's opinion. Keep in mind, though, that all ratings are very subjective: I've seen and enjoyed movies that were only given 1 star out of 4 - and hated some 4-star movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter