who sells at craft shows? tips?

mena292

Mouseketeer
Hi I am doing my student teaching this fall from Aug-Dec. I was forbidden to work during this time, due to my college's rules. Crazy I know! I have most of the money I need saved up for my budget until Jan 1st, but was wondering if I couldn't do a craft show or two to earn some money...SO...I was wondering if you have ever sold at a craft show tips you could give me. About prices, popular ones (I am in Ohio), what sells, etc... Also, if you shop them, what do you think is fair? Or what do you hate? Do you want me to available, or working on my craft? I want to answer questions, but not look too anxious or scare people away. I will be selling hippie skirts with patchwork and applique on some, messenger hippie bags, fringe bracelets and other jewerly, tshirts tye dye etc...I was going to try to throw in some disney stuff? I just dont know. Any and all input is greatly appreciated! Also how much is the most or worst type of money you have made? Are they worth it? So many questions, sorry! TIA MIssy

My sister does those air brush tatoos and I can tell you that you will have your best bet with established fairs, like 15th, 20th annual so and so. I would skip out on the 1st annual unless their entry fee is cheap and very close in distance. If you are selling jewelry make sure you pin those down or have a set place for each one because they will grow feet and walk off. It is a lot of fun and you will meet a lot of people that will be more than willing to help you out. Ask the people in the booths next to you which shows are good and which ones to stay away from. Sometimes you make a $$$$$$$ and some times you will go home in the hole. Good luck

Make sure you check before selling Disney stuff, there are some copyright issues with that.

Good luck!

Make sure you have cute bags to package your stuff in and put your business card in them and some kind of sticker with your info on the bags :)

I always make sure i have someone working the fair with me so we can take bathroom breaks and such :)

Be ready to answer questions, but don't pressure people, just be friendly! :)

Have fun! They are a blast!

Hi where can i find such cute bags? and do you know a place that makes free business cards? What do yours look like and What should I have on them? Thanks!

I buy the bags in bulk on EBAY and in a bind, I buy them at Hobby Lobby (packs of 10 i believe) They are just colorful paper bags and I print out a sticker on an address label with my information on them & stick them to the bag fronts. I also tuck purchases into one sheet of tissue paper, just to make the bag look pretty :)

My business cards I make myself. I bought business card paper at SAMS CLUB in bulk and print them up as I need them. I keep them on my tables at the shows and when people buy from my online store, I always tuck a business card into the purchase :) Make sure you get your name out there :)

MY business card has the following info:

Charmed I'm Sure
Custom Accessories, Unique Pieces & Vintage Finds by Michelle
LOGO PHOTO HERE<--For me it's a cell phone and charm
Place Your Custom Orders at: BeadorNot2Bead@aol.com
Visit Me At: www.mywebsiteinfohere.com <--Not allowed to post the real one
EBAY SELLER ID: PrincessBeadCharm
It's Time To Charm Your Life! <--My little slogan

I do all my printwork in Publisher :)

Also how much is the most or worst type of money you have made? Are they worth it? So many questions, sorry! TIA MIssy

It all depends on the sizeof the show. I'm pretty pregnant right now, so i'm doing very small local shows now. They don't cost much to enter and I can usually make about $200.00 which is pretty good considering, I don't drive far & the average cost of my items is about 7$.

Is it worth it? Yes and No. I do it more for a way to get out and meet other crafty people than to make money. I also do it to get rid of the stuff I make :) I have a habit of making EVERYTHING i see and then having hundreds of bracelets, that I know i will never be able to wear them all :) My main money maker is my site, but the craft shows are fun! Sometimes you don't make a lot of money and you've wasted an entire weekend, so that gets pretty bad. SOOO i try to only enter shows where the entry fee is not too expensive. I don't sell pricey items and I need to realize that although i would get ALOT of traffic at a HUGE county fair, the $200 booth fee, would eat ALOT of that up, since I most likely wouldn't make that much.

About prices

This past issue of ADORN magazine (it has button crafts on the cover) has a FABULOUS article about pricing your stuff and such things at Craft Shows and gives some great advice.

If You can't find it on the stands anymore, let me know and I can snail mail you a photocopy of the article, just PM me your address :)

Do you have a web site? I would love to see some of your work! :hug: have fun!!!

michelle can you snail mail me a copy of that article? i should have had you send it with the beads...i forgot, thanks!

Sure no problem! Just go ahead and PM me your address again, in case I can't find it! It will go out as soon as possible!

Here's some great tips just posted on a clay forum I visit. It's by one of THE leading ceramic artists today. She also published in one of the leading ceramic magazines. (I can't remember which.)

Congratulations to Anne and to all who
will be doing their first craft show this
Holiday Season.

Here is some basic advice and hints
to make the first show easier for you.

Price everything before you get there
with removable stickers or hang tags.

Have business type cards available with
all of your contact information.

Buy a two part sales book so both you
and your customer have a record of the
sale.

Set up will take longer than you think.
So will take down.

BRING :
several pens, calculator, cash box with
about $50 change, stapler, scissors, scotch tape,
safety pins , measuring tape, wrapping material,
bags, bottled water, aspirin, easy to sneak a bite
snacks such as raisins and peanuts.

[MAKE SURE YOU PACK THIS BOX FIRST!!! Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes1 :headache: ]

DO NOT :
Eat in your booth.
Read in your booth.
Sit down on a chair.
Talk on the phone.
Gab with neighboring artists about how
good or bad things are going.
Count your money or start to pack up
while the show is still open.

Force yourself to smile and look friendly.
Force yourself to talk about your work in
interesting, non technical ways.

Beware of accepting custom orders that
need to be ready by Christmas.
This can be crazy making!

Good Luck

Chris Campbell- in North Carolina

DO NOT :
Eat in your booth.
Read in your booth.
Sit down on a chair.

:lmao: Uh-Oh! I will be sitting ALOT at my next show, since I will be having my baby 1 week after it :laughing:

Now let's just hope he can stay put until then!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter