Why didn't Disney Store choose to partner with any other stores rather than Target and JCPenney?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Something that I never figured out is rather than closing every single Disney Store and partnering with Target and JCPenney is why Disney Store didn't choose to partner with any other store and sell their Disney merchandise through it? Because just like we saw Macy's partner with Toys "R" Us to sell toys during Christmas I think Disney Stores should've gone this route and partnered with Walmart or Kohl's because that would've kept them alive. Because I think way before Disney Stores closures were mentioned Disney had a dream to expand the stores beyond malls and they thought that teaming up with Target and JCPenney would help them grow and expand their audience but due to the closing of Disney Stores it never happened that they would also expand to other stores. One thing that Disney should revive though I don't think it's possible due to ShopDisney is The Disney Catalog and if The Disney Catalog was revived it would encourage Disney fans to buy Disney merchandise and preorder movies by mail. Because it was so cool that you could preorder movies with a watch and lithograph set and you picked it up when it was ready at Disney Stores. But I do hope if someday Disney Stores get revived though I don't see that happening any time soon in the future they bring an expanded version of it to malls

The partnership isn't so much the problem but how it was done. JC Penny wasn't the same stuff that you bought at the disney story, it was a lower quality line for similar prices with no sales (or very little). Target the selection is pitiful and half of it is the same stuff all targets carry and not actual disney store stuff, but again is sold full price with no sales till clearance. You can often get the same stuff cheaper on shopdisney.com than on target.

Something that I never figured out is rather than closing every single Disney Store and partnering with Target and JCPenney is why Disney Store didn't choose to partner with any other store and sell their Disney merchandise through it? Because just like we saw Macy's partner with Toys "R" Us to sell toys during Christmas I think Disney Stores should've gone this route and partnered with Walmart or Kohl's because that would've kept them alive. Because I think way before Disney Stores closures were mentioned Disney had a dream to expand the stores beyond malls and they thought that teaming up with Target and JCPenney would help them grow and expand their audience but due to the closing of Disney Stores it never happened that they would also expand to other stores. One thing that Disney should revive though I don't think it's possible due to ShopDisney is The Disney Catalog and if The Disney Catalog was revived it would encourage Disney fans to buy Disney merchandise and preorder movies by mail. Because it was so cool that you could preorder movies with a watch and lithograph set and you picked it up when it was ready at Disney Stores. But I do hope if someday Disney Stores get revived though I don't see that happening any time soon in the future they bring an expanded version of it to malls

I expect it was simply that Target and JCP were the ones willing to offer the best "deal" for Disney.... but it had to be a rather exclusive deal to be of any value.

But, times change.... at this point Disney's focus needs to be online.

Disney merchandise is sold in many stores, including Walmart.

The retail world isn't what it once was. The dream for most consumers today is to click on their smartphone and get same-day delivery to their front door.

We haven't been to a mall in years. (Unless you count Disney Springs.) My kids have never used a DVD. Is there any Disney merchandise not available via Amazon and eBay? Disney, of course, also has an online store.

Could the Disney store return? Perhaps a few stores in a few high-profile tourist locations, like Las Vegas or Times Square, but I think for now that is a concept whose ship has sailed.

None of this means that Disney isn't going to keep expanding its brand and building awareness. They bought Marvel, Pixar and rolled out Disney+. There are Disney shows and new movies based on its classics and attractions.

Disney has a lot of resources and always must keep its foot in the door to the future. Sometimes that means abandoning things in did in the past.

My big problem with the Disney store (and Disney merch in general) is that it's low quality and higher priced than Disney merchandise sold at Walmart. If I'm getting low quality stuff, then I don't want to pay any more for it than Walmart charges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter