Why Disney, WHY??

Personally, I learned a ton more from the virtual muster drill. As I mentioned earlier, I still remember where my muster station was for each of my last 5 cruises that used virtual muster. For the in-person muster drill I struggled to remember where my muster station was even by the end of the cruise. Further, because many cruise lines required guests to observe and pay attention to a one-on-one in-person life jacket demo during the virtual muster drills, I also retained that information a whole lot better.

We here have no evidence that the in-person muster drill is any more or less safe than the virtual one, we just [possibly incorrectly] assume that the old way of doing it is superior because it's just the way it has always been done (in recent history, at least). I can say that virtual drills, when executed well, increased safety for me personally, but that's only my experience and I have no idea if it is true more broadly. I just know that Disney stands alone here so far.
Maybe you were honest and did the right thing but I can confidently say that not everyone visited their assigned muster station or watched the video. I have read many people admit that they did not. How is it safer the new way?

Didn't someone mention that NCL is also going back to the old way? I expect that they'll all follow eventually.
Yes, NCL has returned to the in person muster drill. The issue appears to be people weren't doing the virtual one. With the in person muster drill, everyone does it at the same time and there is no way to cheat.

Maybe you were honest and did the right thing but I can confidently say that not everyone visited their assigned muster station or watched the video. I have read many people admit that they did not. How is it safer the new way?
Most cruise lines I sailed required each passenger to tag their key card on a terminal at the muster station individually (and staff made sure the photo matched) and then the staff present reviewed the most important safety details again in that small group setting. I’m sure there are still ways around it, but I’d bet more people absorbed the most important information in that method than in in-person drills. That Disney may have chosen a method that is easier to defeat doesn’t make virtual drills as a whole less effective.

Yes, NCL has returned to the in person muster drill. The issue appears to be people weren't doing the virtual one. With the in person muster drill, everyone does it at the same time and there is no way to cheat.
Apparently it was only two reports across the entire fleet, and since then all of their drills have been virtual again. I wouldn’t be surprised if they occasionally need to do an in-person one for staff training purposes.

Most cruise lines I sailed required each passenger to tag their key card on a terminal at the muster station individually (and staff made sure the photo matched) and then the staff present reviewed the most important safety details again in that small group setting. I’m sure there are still ways around it, but I’d bet more people absorbed the most important information in that method than in in-person drills. That Disney may have chosen a method that is easier to defeat doesn’t make virtual drills as a whole less effective.

Apparently it was only two reports across the entire fleet, and since then all of their drills have been virtual again. I wouldn’t be surprised if they occasionally need to do an in-person one for staff training purposes.
This is how it was when I sailed on Princess a year ago. Everyone in the stateroom had to go to the muster station and scan our medallions (like magic bands), and then we got a brief 'overview' from one of the crew members at the muster station, and watched a video in our stateroom right after. That way Princess could ensure each person had at least visited the muster station and heard the brief briefing (lol).

If you’re worried about disease and germs on a cruise ship then maybe it’s not for you. More importantly if we are dropping all Covid requirements then why would they not have the in person drill. You can’t have it both ways.

Just my worthless 2 cents…
Because for some of us, the dislike for the in-person muster drill has nothing (or very little) to do with COVID.

This is how it was when I sailed on Princess a year ago. Everyone in the stateroom had to go to the muster station and scan our medallions (like magic bands), and then we got a brief 'overview' from one of the crew members at the muster station, and watched a video in our stateroom right after. That way Princess could ensure each person had at least visited the muster station and heard the brief briefing (lol).
At least everyone shows up at the muster station itself BUT there is no guarantee that every single person on that ship watched that specific video on the TV.

Because for some of us, the dislike for the in-person muster drill has nothing (or very little) to do with COVID.
The original poster literally used germs/disease as their complaint against bringing back the in person drill…whose purpose isn’t to entertain you.

The original poster literally used germs/disease as their complaint against bringing back the in person drill…whose purpose isn’t to entertain you.
Fair point. Others since then have expressed other reasons for disliking the muster drill. Since your comment didn't appear as being a direct reply to the original post, it wasn't clear if you were replying to them or just to the conversation in general.

Never done any cruises before( sailing later this summer on the Wish), so haven't done the muster drill in either form. So question; do you have to be in your cabin before the drill? Is that where your life vests are, and do you bring to drill. I ask bc since we decided to sail concierge( since new and clueless, and would appreciate the extra help) so our room theoretically will be ready earlier. So I hoped to board, drop carryon in room, grab some lunch and then let my granddaughter hit the pool, so that's probably where I would be at 4 pm. Planned to catch the beginning of the sail a way party and then clean up for 1st dinner service.
So can you go to muster station from pool area? That wouldn't help much about finding crew stairs from cabin if the emergency started from there? Do they blow a whistle and then you make your way to station, or are you supposed to be there at 4 without an announcement.
I guess I need to search out some YouTube videos.

Never done any cruises before( sailing later this summer on the Wish), so haven't done the muster drill in either form. So question; do you have to be in your cabin before the drill? Is that where your life vests are, and do you bring to drill. I ask bc since we decided to sail concierge( since new and clueless, and would appreciate the extra help) so our room theoretically will be ready earlier. So I hoped to board, drop carryon in room, grab some lunch and then let my granddaughter hit the pool, so that's probably where I would be at 4 pm. Planned to catch the beginning of the sail a way party and then clean up for 1st dinner service.
So can you go to muster station from pool area? That wouldn't help much about finding crew stairs from cabin if the emergency started from there? Do they blow a whistle and then you make your way to station, or are you supposed to be there at 4 without an announcement.
I guess I need to search out some YouTube videos.

You do not need to bring the life jackets on DCL, you just go directly to your muster station. They do tell you that in a real emergency to go to your stateroom to grab them (they are in the closet) and THEN go to the station. You are right that the crew stairs are only open during the drill, so if you feel you would need to see them prior, then I'd suggest starting from your room during the drill. They will make an announcement when it is time to head to the drill, and then they blow the warning blasts you would hear while you are there.

Frequent cruisers are not exempt, just as frequent fliers are not exempt from the safety lecture given before every flight. Does everyone pay attention to the flight attendants who are giving the demonstrations? Of course not, but the passengers are still there.

If new cruise line passengers attend the mandatory drill, only to see that there are only a few people there, the seriousness of the drill will be lost.

There are NO shortcuts or opt-outs when it comes to safety. So, be "inconvenienced" for a little while and pay attention to what's being said. Hopefully, it will never come to pass, but your lives may depend on it.

I still don't understand why DCL is doing this. Everyone else is still using e muster
I understand exactly why—in the virtual muster, they had to post a CM to each muster station on the ship for several hours from embarkation to sailaway to check people in and help those who couldn’t figure out the app. That’s a lot of staff tied down who could be otherwise occupied helping clear tables at cabanas, cleaning the ship between meals or any number of other useful tasks. Now that the cruise ship staff only need to devote one hour to the muster drill, ship operations can be a lot more efficient on embarkation day.

Now, I will say I do hate it. After a disastrous first cruise muster on deck in the sun in 90 degree heat, I learned to always book an indoor muster station even if it meant compromising room location, so I’ll have to revert to the practice now that muster is the old way. I also have an autistic DS now and am worried how he will handle the loud sounds and crowds and waiting—he was just a toddler last time we had a “real” muster so he was not yet diagnosed, but maybe I’ll contact DCL to see what they advise. But as much ad I hate it, I do understand it.

But I don’t think it makes us any safer. We listened to the videos a lot better in our stateroom where it was comfortable. Last real muster, I recall spending most of the time shushing my kids who were squabbling because they’d been waiting for ages for the last stragglers to show up and were bored.

The key is to show up at the last minute. Wait until the last ring of the alarm and then head to the muster station. The safety discussion will begin then. No need to get there early and suffer. We have done this out last few cruises. Absolutely no need to be there early.

The key is to show up at the last minute. Wait until the last ring of the alarm and then head to the muster station. The safety discussion will begin then. No need to get there early and suffer. We have done this out last few cruises. Absolutely no need to be there early.

Does that delay things for everyone else? It's really frustrating to get there on time and then wait for the late comers. But I like the idea of trying to time it in a way to minimize standing there, while not being rude to everyone else.

Does that delay things for everyone else? It's really frustrating to get there on time and then wait for the late comers. But I like the idea of trying to time it in a way to minimize standing there, while not being rude to everyone else.
No, we never get there late, just at the last minute :)

I still don't understand why DCL is doing this. Everyone else is still using e muster
NCL went back to doing the in person muster drills last year. I think other cruise lines have also started doing them but I do not know what ones.

I have a feeling eventually all the cruise lines will go back if they have not already.

Unfortunately I think the muster drills that were done during Covid will go away in my opinion because some people were gaming the system by not properly participating in full, the way each cruise line set them up.

Unfortunately it only takes a few people to mess things up for everyone else.

Except then you are listening to the super loud alarm sound they blare into the staterooms and ship common areas for even longer. It’s lose-lose.

NCL went back to doing the in person muster drills last year. I think other cruise lines have also started doing them but I do not know what ones.
It was only the Norwegian Sun, and only for a few sailings. It got a lot of attention because there was a popular vlogger on one of the sailings. They're back to fully virtual drills now, although I wouldn't be surprised if they (and other cruise lines) continue to do in-person drills on occasion for various reasons (e.g. staff training). So far Disney is the only cruise line that I know of that has returned to in-person drills entirely.

In the last 21 years my wife and I have been on fifteen, seven day cruises.
Each cruise was approximately 164 hours long over 8 days. I do not think 20 minutes for a muster drill is to much to ask.
My wife and I were on a Disney Cruise back on November 26th of 2022. From the time the alarm went off till the time the drill was done was by my watch 20 minutes. I timed it just to see how long it would be because our last cruise was back in February 2020.

If some people/family's have some sort of disability that makes the muster drill difficult then they should find out if the cruise line they are sailing with can make some sort of accommodation.

I have heard stories of people just not wanting to do the muster drill because they don't want to or think they don't have to for what ever reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter