Why do you go solo?

I think I am going solo in October. It's difficult to find someone else that is middle-aged (I'm 53) and that has the time and/or money to travel. I took someone with me last May, but I had to pay for everything. I only did so because I didn't want to go by myself on the first trip after my Mom died...she always traveled with me. And I had some use or lose DVC points.

My single cousin may go with me in October, but she's trying to get the time off. She's a commercial travel agent and has two free "use or lose" flights, so if she goes, I'll get free airfare :) But the company she works for may not give her the time off, as she's already used most of her vacation time for family illness and funerals.

I did make 3 ADRs for one person. If my cousin is able to go, it shouldn't be a problem, as a table for one, by default, is also a table for two.

Sorry, but Mission Space is doable at 65. Better find another reason! ;)

I agree. Mom was riding Mission Space at 86 yo.

I started going alone to WDW many, many years ago. I thought that I would feel uncomfortable, kind of like that, "everyone is looking at me and knows I am alone" feeling. Perhaps I did feel like that a bit, at times, but mostly people are into themselves and their families. The FREEDOM of being alone there (in every way) is an ecstatic one. You come and go as you please, eat wherever, walk wherever, stop and go, come and go, shop or not shop, talk to strangers or not. In my case, at times, I felt a bit lonely but then again, that has to do with my state of mind at the time, and not with the fact it happens to everyone. I also went to Hollywood Studios alone and just loved taking photographs of the sights and interactions of others. Please don't ever let going solo stop you from doing it. Frankly, after I did it, I never wanted to go back with anyone...LOL ENJOY!

I wish you a beautiful, magical, happy time. I know you are going to enjoy it tremendously!! Take in every moment.!! :-) Fill us in on how it went when you get back please. Thanks!

It is humorous to me that many people just freak out when you mention WDW and "solo" in the same sentence. I got past many an anxiety attack by going to WDW, getting out and seeing that I would be JUST FINE at the end of the day. I recommend it to everyone I can.

The only thing I really don't like doing by myself is eating out, so that was a tough thing for me to get over in WDW. I found myself doing CS and walking around eating rather than sitting and enjoying myself.

This is the part I'm concerned about. Sitting alone at a table waiting for food just sounds lonely to me.

This is the part I'm concerned about. Sitting alone at a table waiting for food just sounds lonely to me.

Actually that's the time I enjoy.... I update my fb status, look at the map to see what I want to do next, read, play a game or just people watch . If you spend a lot of time with people it's the perfect time to decompress from others....

I started traveling solo about 20 years ago because none of my friends could travel when I could. Now I travel solo for that reason and because I haven't found anyone who travels like I like to.

I have traveled to WDW, DCL and ABD solo numerous times. I have the freedom to come and go as I please and do exactly what I want instead of not getting to have my vacation because everyone in the group doesn't want to do what I want to. I always meet nice people when I travel and a lot of them tell me that they wish they were traveling solo.

I have my first Disney Cruise coming up in February. I couldn't be more excited:cool1::cool1: Yet everyone I tell Im going solo, feels sorry for me and wonders what I will do with myself. I actually feel sorry for them:rotfl:

I can't wait to have some travel time by myself.....do what I want to do, when I want to do it. Make MY own plans. Sometimes travelling with others can get....frustrating. I can eat where I want, take all the time in the world to people watch, take pictures, walk around different places (hotels).

I look forward to my first solo trip to Disney sometime next year as well. :yay:

Sometimes solo is the best way to do what YOU want on YOUR schedule. Not a selfish thing by any means, just a way to experience Disney the way you like.

I'm thinking of a WDW solo trip for this winter when DH does his guys ski trip. I've started perusing the solo boards to check it out. You are encouraging me !

I'm thinking of a WDW solo trip for this winter when DH does his guys ski trip. I've started perusing the solo boards to check it out. You are encouraging me !

DOOOOO EEEEETTTTT!!!

:hyper:

:rotfl:

One thing I enjoy when making a solo visit it offering to take pictures of families. When I see a dad for instance taking a picture of his wife and kids, I"ll ask him if he wants me to take a picture of everyone. It's an easy offer to make and often brings a smile to everyone.

Thanks for this thread! I've been thinking about a solo trip for the past few days but I still can't decide. My husband is not really into the idea of going (we've been twice together and our last time was ruined by someone else in our party, but he's just not as into it as I am) and the few close friends I have are either not interested or can't afford it. The biggest issue for me is being able to share the experience with someone. I'm a fairly reserved and quiet person who likes to go go go and do my own thing with the least amount of people possible, but I just can't shake the feeling that I'd be sad without someone beside me.

One thing I enjoy when making a solo visit it offering to take pictures of families. When I see a dad for instance taking a picture of his wife and kids, I"ll ask him if he wants me to take a picture of everyone. It's an easy offer to make and often brings a smile to everyone.

That's sweet! I try to do that on all my trips, anywhere. Sometimes you come back from a vacation and don't have a picture of everyone together and that is a big bummer!

Thanks for this thread! I've been thinking about a solo trip for the past few days but I still can't decide. My husband is not really into the idea of going (we've been twice together and our last time was ruined by someone else in our party, but he's just not as into it as I am) and the few close friends I have are either not interested or can't afford it. The biggest issue for me is being able to share the experience with someone. I'm a fairly reserved and quiet person who likes to go go go and do my own thing with the least amount of people possible, but I just can't shake the feeling that I'd be sad without someone beside me.

Only one way to find out...GO! Like myself I think that repeated solo trips eventually lose their appeal, but they are awesome when you first start them. Your self description tells me that you will do fine going solo. Have fun!:)

Only one way to find out...GO! Like myself I think that repeated solo trips eventually lose their appeal, but they are awesome when you first start them. Your self description tells me that you will do fine going solo. Have fun!:)

What I'm sort of doing now is planning a solo trip but still leaving the option open for a friend to come along. Thanks for the response!:flower3:

Even though I always go with my family I always take a day or two for myself and I love it, the only thing that still gets me nervous is dining by myself but I am getting more comfortable as time goes by. I can't express enough how relaxing is going to Disney solo. You get to experience Disney in a whole different way and do things that you might never do if you had company with you. When I go solo is all about what I want to do, what rides do I want to ride, I can ride them how many times I want, I can eat whatever I want whenever I want, and I can go at my own pace. I haven't done TS still, I think I am too young to use the excuse that I am taking a break from DS/DD/DH LOL.

I'm young-ish (23) and I've been married for 4 years but I still like him enough to be really sad when I have to leave him. :rotfl2:

I find this extremely interesting. I can do a lot of things alone, I go to the movies alone quite often and some of my friends often tell me they could never do that. I think the movies is one of the things that is easy to do alone.

I also often go to New York City alone and walk the streets and go to the parks. I find that very easy to do alone and a lot of fun.

However, for some reason, I don't think I could ever do Disney alone. Can someone help understand this. I wish I could explain it, but I can't. I just can't see myself getting on an attraction by myself or going to one of the shows. I can see myself walking the parks and eating counter service, but not much more.

I would just feel so out-of-place not being with someone.

This is EXACTLY how I'm feeling about it. I had never even thought about going to the movies alone before a month or two ago and I've done it a few times since. My logic in that is if I want to see it and no one else can go or wants to, I'm going to see it! I'm coming around to this logic about WDW and going solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter