• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is everyone so concerned with the new Poly tower

You bring up a great. Point in that it’s not just PVB resale getting access, it’s all resale except RIV and VDH.

I agree the move makes no sense for having done restrictions in the first place. If RIV wasnt my favorite, I’d buy resale for tower stays.
The decision really makes me question Disney’s judgement. Why wait to buy the new tower direct when you can get the 11 month window already, right now, with resale? And I’m not sure the ability to book at Riviera and VDH, with apparently nothing else on the horizon, will make a direct purchase any more attractive.

It doesn’t bother me that they are there, but it makes no senses. Which is why I won’t be too surprised if they are amended in some way down the line.
Agreed. And though I’m not a Riviera owner, I love the resort, and if more people buy resale to stay at Poly2, that will mean less direct point owners with whom I have to compete at 7 months to book Riviera!

The decision really makes me question Disney’s judgement. Why wait to buy the new tower direct when you can get the 11 month window already, right now, with resale? And I’m not sure the ability to book at Riviera and VDH, with apparently nothing else on the horizon, will make a direct purchase any more attractive.
Disney will be selling millions of PVB2 points direct. By contrast, I just added up the total number of PVB points currently available on the Fidelity resale site and it is 2,035. I know there are a few other resale sites, but on a proportionate basis, Disney will be losing a tiny fraction of direct sales to the resale market.

Disney will be selling millions of PVB2 points direct. By contrast, I just added up the total number of PVB points currently available on the Fidelity resale site and it is 2,035. I know there are a few other resale sites, but on a proportionate basis, Disney will be losing a tiny fraction of direct sales to the resale market.
For me, it was never really about people flocking to resale, I totally agree with you it was never going to amount to a significant amount to be a huge problem for Disney. It was more that the beloved Poly was always going to sell well no matter the restrictions, so why not add them when they had enough incentive to do so.

Anyway I’ve belabored the point enough I think haha and I’m not trying to argue against what you’re saying, you clearly have a better grasp on it than I did. It just continues to be an odd decision on Disney’s part, in my opinion 🤷🏼‍♀️

I just hope the 7mo window is open enough since I’m not sure my 100 pt resale will be enough with what I’m sure will be high point charts. Maybe that’ll be the trade off for giving us this boon by making it the same association! Super high point charts forcing us all to buy more points anyway!

As has been noted, this decision definitely blurs the line between resale and direct. Forget the 11 month Poly resale advantage. Every single resale contract on the market, with the exception of Riviera and VDH, will be able to book the new tower at 7 months. I don’t really understand how this furthers their long term goal of making a direct purchase more attractive than a resale one. Maybe this heralds the beginning of the end of resale restrictions.

CFW? But point is well taken. DVCRM and all other resale brokers are celebrating tonight. DVD just breathed life into the resale market.

I'm not surprised that they made it the same association. My guess is that chopping 9 years off of every contract is more valuable than the sales benefit that comes from creating a new association with the resale restrictions. I also suspect that they're not particularly worried about selling out a proper monorail resort since Big Pine Key sold out in near record time.

I'm not surprised that they made it the same association. My guess is that chopping 9 years off of every contract is more valuable than the sales benefit that comes from creating a new association with the resale restrictions. I also suspect that they're not particularly worried about selling out a proper monorail resort since Big Pine Key sold out in near record time.

Except they did have to severely discount VGF to get it to sell. And they will have to price this competitively if they want it to achieve the same results.

If RIV and AUL are offered for less, many buyers will go that route and take chances with Poly at 7 months, Plenty of data to support that is what happens…and did in 2022 when RIv outsold VGF for 4 to 5 months.

But, as has been now reported, she told someone nothing has been filed and it can change. So, while it does appear it’s being added, I would still be cautious as DVD does things that are surpsiing.

Given this type of answer, to me, is one of them.

Except they did have to severely discount VGF to get it to sell. And they will have to price this competitively if they want it to achieve the same results.

If RIV and AUL are offered for less, many buyers will go that route and take chances with Poly at 7 months, Plenty of data to support that is what happens…and did in 2022 when RIv outsold VGF for 4 to 5 months.

But, as has been now reported, she told someone nothing has been filed and it can change. So, while it does appear it’s being added, I would still be cautious as DVD does things that are surpsiing.

Given this type of answer, to me, is one of them.
Maybe so…but maybe I should thank Disney for adding value to all my resale contracts! Hard to believe that this won’t at the very least slow down the sales pace for direct Poly2 points. And all the little things they’ve done for direct buyers, like Moonlight Magic, Magic Band sliders, special photo ops, etc, all of which I really do enjoy and are all fun, won’t really convince anyone to go direct when they can get into Poly2 cheaper.

On the other hand, you’ve got to assume they’ve thought of all this, right? Maybe they’ll match the resale Poly1 price, or offer some monumentally cool additional incentive we haven’t anticipated. But it’s hard to interpret this as being anything other than negative for Riviera resale prices, and a betrayal for what they might have led Riviera direct buyers to believe.

Maybe so…but maybe I should thank Disney for adding value to all my resale contracts! Hard to believe that this won’t at the very least slow down the sales pace for direct Poly2 points. And all the little things they’ve done for direct buyers, like Moonlight Magic, Magic Band sliders, special photo ops, etc, all of which I really do enjoy and are all fun, won’t really convince anyone to go direct when they can get into Poly2 cheaper.

On the other hand, you’ve got to assume they’ve thought of all this, right? Maybe they’ll match the resale Poly1 price, or offer some monumentally cool additional incentive we haven’t anticipated. But it’s hard to interpret this as being anything other than negative for Riviera resale prices, and a betrayal for what they might have led Riviera direct buyers to believe.

If RIV was not my top resort, this decision would put me 100% back in the resale camp.

I guess we will see what they say moving forward but having to seem to be leaning heavily to it being the same…and stating that..it does certainly muddy the message.

I think people here overestimate the percentage of buyers who would ever consider purchasing resale, or even know that they can, or would bother to go to the trouble of researching all that after being impressed by a DVC sales pitch at a booth and visit to a model room, with a smiling salesman pitching all of the blue card privileges and other advantages of buying direct, compared to dealing with sometimes flaky sellers and brokers, fees and closing costs, the trauma of going through ROFR, and so on. People on this board who are experts in all of this and have a deep understanding of the pros and cons may well indeed choose to save a bit of money by going the resale route, but they are a tiny minority in the scheme of things.

If RIV was not my top resort, this decision would put me 100% back in the resale camp.

Yep, that's what's going on in my head now.

RIV isn't something we prefer but bought some extra VGF direct thinking we would use it at Poly2 eventually, but that wasn't necessary as it turns out.

I had been 110% expecting restrictions, so I'm shocked, but as a non RIV owner I'm pleased. Now I'm back to focused on resale given this mixed messaging.

On the other hand, you’ve got to assume they’ve thought of all this, right? Maybe they’ll match the resale Poly1 price, or offer some monumentally cool additional incentive we haven’t anticipated.
This is my thought as well. I think if they do keep it same as PVB, they will aggressively price it. My first instinct was to jump on the resale market now because I've been wanting (and waiting for) more Poly points but I'm still going to wait. Not because I think it will be a new association now, but because I expect the price to ultimately be much less than we all expected.

This is my thought as well. I think if they do keep it same as PVB, they will aggressively price it. My first instinct was to jump on the resale market now because I've been wanting (and waiting for) more Poly points but I'm still going to wait. Not because I think it will be a new association now, but because I expect the price to ultimately be much less than we all expected.
If you can find resale PVB still in the $130s or even the $140s after yesterday, that is probably one of the best bargains you will ever get.

I think people here overestimate the percentage of buyers who would ever consider purchasing resale, or even know that they can, or would bother to go to the trouble of researching all that after being impressed by a DVC sales pitch at a booth and visit to a model room, with a smiling salesman pitching all of the blue card privileges and other advantages of buying direct, compared to dealing with sometimes flaky sellers and brokers, fees and closing costs, the trauma of going through ROFR, and so on. People on this board who are experts in all of this and have a deep understanding of the pros and cons may well indeed choose to save a bit of money by going the resale route, but they are a tiny minority in the scheme of things.
That’s a common sentiment I often hear expressed on these boards, and maybe it’s right. But it might not be unfair to presume that at least some percentage of first time buyers are savvy enough to do a tiny bit of research before plunking down tens of thousands of dollars. And that percentage might not be completely insubstantial.

We also don’t know what percentage of current DVC owners, who know their way around this particular race track, might comprise the pool of potential Poly2 buyers. And if they are not fans of Riviera and VDH, with its ever increasing transient tax and the potential to be surrounded by years and years of construction, there’s zero reason to buy direct.

And the decision does alienate other buyers, like my myself, who don’t like Poly1, who were hoping Poly2 would not be plagued by the crowds at the Polynesian, and might have bought if it were a separate resort.

That’s a common sentiment I often hear expressed on these boards, and maybe it’s right. But it might not be unfair to presume that at least some percentage of first time buyers are savvy enough to do a tiny bit of research before plunking down tens of thousands of dollars. And that percentage might not be completely insubstantial.

We also don’t know what percentage of current DVC owners, who know their way around this particular race track, might comprise the pool of potential Poly2 buyers. And if they are not fans of Riviera and VDH, with its ever increasing transient tax and the potential to be surrounded by years and years of construction, there’s zero reason to buy direct.
You know, DVD sold a bunch of Poly 1 points when you could have gotten in at 7 months with your SSR points. Didn’t seem to hurt sales then, why would it now?

And the decision does alienate other buyers, like my myself, who don’t like Poly1, who were hoping Poly2 would not be plagued by the crowds at the Polynesian, and might have bought if it were a separate resort.
Conversely, making it a different association would alienate current Poly 1 owners that are considering adding on…

If you can find resale PVB still in the $130s or even the $140s after yesterday, that is probably one of the best bargains you will ever get.
Or not. What if Disney opened up Poly2 sales with a price that undercut resale? Or what if they introduce some game changing direct purchase benefit? You’ve got to assume that they are not completely clueless. Then again…. :)

Or not. What if Disney opened up Poly2 sales with a price that undercut resale? Or what if they introduce some game changing direct purchase benefit? You’ve got to assume that they are not completely clueless. Then again…. :)
Well I did say "probably", not "definitely". I suppose it is possible that Disney starts selling PVB2 at $130 a point; I just don't think it's very likely.

You know, DVD sold a bunch of Poly 1 points when you could have gotten in at 7 months with your SSR points. Didn’t seem to hurt sales then, why would it now?

Conversely, making it a different association would alienate current Poly 1 owners that are considering adding on…
True on both accounts. But, really, who knows? Maybe the number of Poly1 owners who wind up buying Poly2 will dwarf those who were only going to buy if it were a separate association. Maybe they’ll sell a ton of points to naive first time buyers who don’t realize the benefits of the higher prices they’re paying are minimal, maybe all logic will get thrown out the window in a mad rush to buy into a new Magic Kingdom tower.

Or maybe not. We just don’t know. On a personal front I’m disappointed because I was interested in buying but no longer. Chances are, though, that there might be some additional twists and turns in this story that might very well invalidate both of our arguments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter