Why isn't a kid's club offered at SSR?

The expenses for the SPA do not come out of your dues - you are NOT paying a penny for that facility unless you choose to use the personal service. The same goes for restaurants - they don't cost the members anything unless they choose to use them. Barbershops, Beauty Salons, Boutiques and boats are available at many resorts, but none are included in the membership expense or reservation expense - they are all funded on a fee-for-service basis.

The childcare facility (Harbour Club) at BWV/BWI has closed - I suspect due to insufficient use to justify the operational expense - but guests may still use the other onsite centers. While many of the DVC resorts do have some free recreational activities, most of the programs also have an expense involved (often with a discount for DVC members).

We've stayed in very few timeshares where there is any childcare service provided - other than a list of local babysitters. The few that have offered some form of childcare have also had a fee schedule for those desiring the service. WDW and DVC guests have at least as many childcare options as most other timeshare resorts and many other resorts in general.

Thanks for the clarification. The spa was a bad example. How much would you guess the dues increase would be to cover something like this?

Thanks for the clarification. The spa was a bad example. How much would you guess the dues increase would be to cover something like this?

Why should it come from dues? Why not just have those using the rather limited service pay a fair rate - as is done at all of the other childcare facilities at WDW? Or better yet, why not just use the childcare services already available at WDW?

Those interested in a special service should definitely contact DVC (writing to the Celebration offices is probably better than just calling MS) to make the suggestion. Those that want dining, groceries, DVC logo merchandise, Theme Park admission or spa services included in their dues should do the same thing. If DVC gets enough requests/demands for things like this, perhaps they will consider providing these things.

I do not think that the possible SSR childcare center has to come out of DVC member dues. Like the childcare centers available at the other WDW resorts, the parents/guardians who elect to use the childcare center should pay the appropriate fees, not the DVC membership in general. As the physical structure is already in place, the childcare usage fees should be put toward the salary of the CMs in the childcare center.

I have thought this from the get go. I thought that when they were done selling they would turn the kids club currently there to one that can be used. Especially with PI right across the water. That would be super convienent for those staying at SSR to drop their kids off, walk over to DTD and then walk back to get their kids and head back to the room.

I have emailed member services a few times about it. I think this is one thing that needs lobbying for.

But then there are those members who despise that people use SSR on the buses to go to DTD. If that was the closest childcare, there'd be even more traffic.

Not that I would complain. I just want to try the SSR spa! :rolleyes1

But then there are those members who despise that people use SSR on the buses to go to DTD. If that was the closest childcare, there'd be even more traffic.

Good point. Let's hear it for a DTD childcare center too!

I have thought this from the get go. I thought that when they were done selling they would turn the kids club currently there to one that can be used. Especially with PI right across the water. That would be super convienent for those staying at SSR to drop their kids off, walk over to DTD and then walk back to get their kids and head back to the room.

I have emailed member services a few times about it. I think this is one thing that needs lobbying for.
Lots of liability here! Whoi determines if the parent has had to much to drink when picking up thier kids after a night at PI. Just MHO stay with your children while at WDW and save your night out for when your at home with a babysitter you know and trust. I never left my children with people I did not know the thought of it gives me the creeps. I always made it a point to know thier teachers, coaches, etc. until they were old enough to "take care of themselves".

Lots of liability here! Whoi determines if the parent has had to much to drink when picking up thier kids after a night at PI. Just MHO stay with your children while at WDW and save your night out for when your at home with a babysitter you know and trust. I never left my children with people I did not know the thought of it gives me the creeps. I always made it a point to know thier teachers, coaches, etc. until they were old enough to "take care of themselves".

Okay, so now you're saying that everyone that goes out w/out their children at WDW is a drunk or has to get drunk while out! Wow, you are a very judgemental person aren't you? So did you get to know ALLl your kids teachers & coaches on a personal level-how well did you really know them? when you leave your kids at school or w/coaches you are ALWAYS taking some risk that something could go bad. Gimme a break-why don't we all just put our kids in a big bubble until they are 12 yrs old?

I didn't realize childcare facilities had the liability of determining if I had too much to drink?:confused3

The part about staying home? Well you know what, I pay for those trips that we get to take, and you know mom and dad getting a couple of hours to go out to a nice restaurant to relax isn't too much to ask. For most, that is what we are talking about, one night out.

Would I hire an in room babysitter? NO WAY!!!!!!!!! But I would and have on a couple of vacations used a large child care facility at a resort. Safety in numbers and we also check it out before hand to see if we are comfortable with the procedures used.

I'm sure your post wasn't intended to be some kind of rip on parents that want or need this type of child care. It did come of that way though.

I didn't realize childcare facilities had the liability of determining if I had too much to drink?:confused3

The part about staying home? Well you know what, I pay for those trips that we get to take, and you know mom and dad getting a couple of hours to go out to a nice restaurant to relax isn't too much to ask. For most, that is what we are talking about, one night out.

Would I hire an in room babysitter? NO WAY!!!!!!!!! But I would and have on a couple of vacations used a large child care facility at a resort. Safety in numbers and we also check it out before hand to see if we are comfortable with the procedures used.

I'm sure your post wasn't intended to be some kind of rip on parents that want or need this type of child care. It did come of that way though.

Thank you!!!

Okay, so now you're saying that everyone that goes out w/out their children at WDW is a drunk or has to get drunk while out! Wow, you are a very judgemental person aren't you? So did you get to know ALLl your kids teachers & coaches on a personal level-how well did you really know them? when you leave your kids at school or w/coaches you are ALWAYS taking some risk that something could go bad. Gimme a break-why don't we all just put our kids in a big bubble until they are 12 yrs old?

:offtopic:
1) You can put your kids wherever you want just don't ask me to pay for it.
2) In a bubble "no" but until they are old enough to take care of themselves, I wanted to know who they are with, and as much about that person as possible.
3)Since either I or DW was involved in school and activities I got to know all the teachers, scout leaders, coaches, etc. that my children were with. Either personally or by reputation I also got to know my children, if this constitutes a bubble than I guess I'm guilty!
4) By 12 years old most kids should be able to watch themselves for a couple hours, before that and we're 1200 miles from home they're with me or someone I know.
5) Judgemental not at all you'll notice the standard disclaimer "IMO" was used, lots of people on this board and lots of opinions, if some don't agree with yours don't take them personally. I like hearing them all and sometimes chimming in with my own.
:rolleyes1 Back on topic (before we get hollered at) child care is fine for those that want it, my only concern is who pays for it, not how anyone else runs thier household.

Just curious- what are the maintenance fees for a place like this? I may be in the minority but don't want or need the above mentioned things so would not want to have to pay for them. At present there is a conceirge desk that will help with your entertainment, dining reservations etc. at OKW and SSR at least (haven't stayed at other DVC resorts in last year so don't know about them), you can have groceries delivered ( fill out the form on the member site or call one of the off site grocery delivery places) and there are kids clubs at various locations ( yes maybe SSR from sheer size could use one of its own) and I believe there is babysitting available from something called fairy godmothers or similar. I would guess that the kids clubs need to be self supporting to warrant Disney keeping them. The services are out there for those who wish to make the effort to pick up a phone or walk down to the registration area.

Maybe it comes down to the fact that DVC "home away from home" is not for everyone as a vacation choice. As a previous poster said: Many have researched what DVC resorts offer prior to making such a major purchase and decided against if the resorts didn't meet their needs and expectations.
This is definitely the thing to do and I hope that those considering purchasing take the time to do their research. Those who didn't and now find they don't like what they bought can always sell and probably not lose much if anything allowing them to purchase something that more closely meets their expectations - another timeshare or just use the money for a couple of vacations at what they consider "truly deluxe resorts".

I don't remember the fees being to outrageous compared to The Homestead(the big resort timeshare in the same town). Now the Homestead did have a setup like the kids club's at WDW. We used the facility everytime we went. The reason we didn't buy was it was a traditional timeshare and a little to rigid for our planning(late April week in N. Mich YUCK). Enough people put there units in the rental pool, so it's easy to get a good week in prime summer season.

:offtopic:
1) You can put your kids wherever you want just don't ask me to pay for it.
2) In a bubble "no" but until they are old enough to take care of themselves, I wanted to know who they are with, and as much about that person as possible.
3)Since either I or DW was involved in school and activities I got to know all the teachers, scout leaders, coaches, etc. that my children were with. Either personally or by reputation I also got to know my children, if this constitutes a bubble than I guess I'm guilty!
4) By 12 years old most kids should be able to watch themselves for a couple hours, before that and we're 1200 miles from home they're with me or someone I know.
5) Judgemental not at all you'll notice the standard disclaimer "IMO" was used, lots of people on this board and lots of opinions, if some don't agree with yours don't take them personally. I like hearing them all and sometimes chimming in with my own.
:rolleyes1 Back on topic (before we get hollered at) child care is fine for those that want it, my only concern is who pays for it, not how anyone else runs thier household.

Who went off topic first? Anyway just as you would never leave your kids in a kids care for a couple of hours while on vacation to go have dinner, I would NEVER go on a vacation Without my kids-period-even if the paternal grandparents were watching them. To each his/her own, I guess.
I'm not asking you to pay for it BTW, I'll be happy to pay the per child rate that if done at the other Kids care places on site. I really don't know how these things are figured out in dues and such, I just thought that SSR would be a good place for one of the Kids care units.

I think the bottom line is that most of the parents on here are very good parents/people but obviously we all have some differences in what we feel is good for our children so lets try not to judge eachother too much.

Just because some people go to PI doesn't mean they get drunk. I am not a big drinker - maybe one drink at a gathering and that is about it. I most likely won't even finish that one drink either. Hubby usually only has one or two as well.

So getting drunk isn't necessarily the issue here.

Back to the topic -
I would gladly pay for my kids to go there so it isn't subsidized, just like what is currently occuring at other kids clubs. Plus it would be nice to have a nice dinner at the Turf Club, a carriage ride for just the parents and have a nice evening and knowing their kids are close by.

Just because some people go to PI doesn't mean they get drunk.
So getting drunk isn't necessarily the issue here.

Only takes one person I'm only thinking liability which would raise insurance rates. Disnet is self insured but they do charge each subsidiary. May not seem like an issue but the local papers not long ago had a story about a day care being sued because when Dad picked up the kids he was drunk. Then got into an accident fortunatly no one was killed but Mom is sueing. There was no custody issue as all lived together.
deffinatly not insunuating everyone that goes to PI is a drunk or I would have to include myself and DW, I drink but don't think I've been "drunk" in the last 20 years.
Back to the topic -
I would gladly pay for my kids to go there so it isn't subsidized, just like what is currently occuring at other kids clubs. Plus it would be nice to have a nice dinner at the Turf Club, a carriage ride for just the parents and have a nice evening and knowing their kids are close by.

This seems to be the general feeling so I guess my concerns over increased dues is unfounded.

... As the physical structure is already in place, the childcare usage fees should be put toward the salary of the CMs in the childcare center.

The physical structure is not really part of the SSR resort, it is owned by DVD and is included as a small component of the sales center. When/if the sales center is gone from that location, a child-care facility in the same location would need to fund not only salaries for the staff, but also liability insurance, maintenance, utlilities, etc. for the facility itself- just like the other child-care centers at WDW. The space now used is not physically part of the resort itself.

Again, if enough owners at the resort want such a service , I'm sure DVC would consider finding a way to make it happen. I'd still suggest writing to DVC at the Celebration address as the best way to make your wishes known.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter