Why isn't a kid's club offered at SSR?

I also find myself wishing for a Kids Club over in the DTD area - I don't want to stay out late, but I would appreciate the chance for dinner with DH or a chance to at least LOOK at the PI clubs sometime in the next 10 years while my kids had a fun time in a supervised and interesting environment. The point of mentioning it to DVC and our guides is the best one yet, I think!

I personally bought into DVC not only because I love SSR but because of the awesomeness of WDW.:banana: :banana: :banana: I am one of those vacation people that want to have a lot of options when I'm vacationing. I want to be entertained, I want great food, I want great pools. DVC gives me that. If I need a sitter, the furthest one is not 10 minutes away. IMHOP there isn't a timeshare out there that gives the range of options that any of the DVC's that are located in the heart of the number one vacation destination in the world give. DVC and WDW are intertwined. To own DVC is to have access to more entertainment, more ammeneties, more dining options than any other timeshare. Not to mention the fact that I have all these great resorts from which to choose.

This is not to say that I would mind a kid's club at SSR or even more stuff there and if enough members make enough noise about that, we have seen results. I just think that DVC can't possibly be compared to any other timeshare just by the strength of the locations of DVCs. The access that we as DVC owners have to a world of absolute magic is unprecidented. Any timeshare any other place can have there baby sitting because I have the world!!!:cloud9: (plus very conveniently located kid club facilities in that world). My kids cherish the oppurtunity to visit other resorts even if it's to hang out at the kid clubs at the other resorts.

Spoken like a true WDW junkie.:upsidedow

The Homestead in Northern Michigan is a timeshare/DVC type set up and they have a kids club. Can send them for half day, all day and for dinner time. Didn't like the fixed weeks, though but if VB doesn't work out, we'll probably go there on cash for our "beach fix".

please send this information to your guide and managment of your home resort.

I think DVC should have kid's club too- if they see other timeshares are going it - they might.

I'm with you on this one Dumbo!

We have stayed in a timeshare(thought about buying) called Le Bear up in Northern MI. Absolutely beautifully done inside and out. A real live conceirge(sp). Give them a list of groceries you want(can be very specific on brands) and it's in the frig(sub zero) and pantry when you arrive, get you ressies in the local chi-chi resturants that book up(worked out well). Babysitting and kids activities.

Yes I would pay more for amenities. I find it funny when I check out WDW to see if the DVC's have cash rooms available, the site always recommends to me GF. Actually our first trip, DH wanted to stay there, but got hooked by the 2br villa that popped up for SSR. He'll go for extra room over luxury any day.

Just curious- what are the maintenance fees for a place like this? I may be in the minority but don't want or need the above mentioned things so would not want to have to pay for them. At present there is a conceirge desk that will help with your entertainment, dining reservations etc. at OKW and SSR at least (haven't stayed at other DVC resorts in last year so don't know about them), you can have groceries delivered ( fill out the form on the member site or call one of the off site grocery delivery places) and there are kids clubs at various locations ( yes maybe SSR from sheer size could use one of its own) and I believe there is babysitting available from something called fairy godmothers or similar. I would guess that the kids clubs need to be self supporting to warrant Disney keeping them. The services are out there for those who wish to make the effort to pick up a phone or walk down to the registration area.

Maybe it comes down to the fact that DVC "home away from home" is not for everyone as a vacation choice. As a previous poster said: Many have researched what DVC resorts offer prior to making such a major purchase and decided against if the resorts didn't meet their needs and expectations.
This is definitely the thing to do and I hope that those considering purchasing take the time to do their research. Those who didn't and now find they don't like what they bought can always sell and probably not lose much if anything allowing them to purchase something that more closely meets their expectations - another timeshare or just use the money for a couple of vacations at what they consider "truly deluxe resorts".

[ The services are out there for those who wish to make the effort to pick up a phone or walk down to the registration area.

Uhh sorry, but you can't just "pick up a phone or walk to the registration area" to be able to place your kids in a kids club for the evening. Either the resort you're staying at offers the service or it doesn't. If you don't stay at one of the resorts that offers this, you can not use the service-end of story. And that's how it should be since understandably the resort needs to be able to take care of it's present guests. As far as babysitting services go, as I said in my original post, we aren't comfortable w/that option as many other parents aren't as well.
In the future we will plan to stay at some of the DVC resorts that do offer the kids club so that we can take advantage of it. I just personally feel that SSR is one of the DVC's that should have it because of the sheer size and also as many others have pointed out, the fact that it is in the Downtown Disney area and there are probably many parents that would love to use it. Another poster said that it would be nice to have it so that (she?) could use the Spa treatments available which is also a very good point. Perhaps DVC will begin to realize that having one could be very advantageous for them as well.

Uhh sorry, but you can't just "pick up a phone or walk to the registration area" to be able to place your kids in a kids club for the evening. Either the resort you're staying at offers the service or it doesn't. If you don't stay at one of the resorts that offers this, you can not use the service-end of story. And that's how it should be since understandably the resort needs to be able to take care of it's present guests.

Guests at all WDW resorts may make reservations for the childcare programs by calling 1-407-WDW-DINE. The Swan/Dolphin also offer a kid's club available to WDW guests (and even those staying off-site can use some of these services and walk-ins are also available as available). Some are available only to guests of the resort, but many allow any WDW resort guest to use the service. The GF reserves some of it's programs to resort guests and those having dinner at the resort restaurants.

Here is a link to WDW Childcare information.

Guests at all WDW resorts may make reservations for the childcare programs by calling 1-407-WDW-DINE. The Swan/Dolphin also offer a kid's club available to WDW guests (and even those staying off-site can use some of these services and walk-ins are also available as available). Some are available only to guests of the resort, but many allow any WDW resort guest to use the service. The GF reserves some of it's programs to resort guests and those having dinner at the resort restaurants.

Here is a link to WDW Childcare information.

Oh boy-well in that case I apologize. We called one of the resorts once while there-can't remember which one & were told that only guests of that specific resort could use the kids club-I think it may have been at the Poly but I'm not sure? Well if what you say is the case then that certainly makes it a little better to accept that SSR doesn't have one (yet :wizard: ) but I still say that it would be a great place for it to be offered.

It makes complete sense to have a kids center at SSR with its proximity to DTD. Also, Disney would make more money in the long run if mom and dad spent money on a fancy dinner or going to Pleasure Island. Most DVCers have APs, so Disney is not making extra money if mom and dad decide to do the parks with the kids instead. I think a kids center would be a nice selling point to SSR. Aside from the costs to staff and maintain extra insurance, using a pre-exsisting kids center is a no-brainer, especially once SSR sells out.

There used to be a Kindercare onsite also. I remember when we looked into leaving our son there on one of our earlier trips.

The childcare centers are open to all WDW Resort guests not just those staying at the resort that offers the service. Im sure part of the logic of closing BWV's, was that BWV Guests could use BCV's facility and maybe 2 care centers was too much for that area's demand.

As Doc posted, you can even check them into the S&D childcare center. Some of their restaurants offer 2 hours or more free if you dine there.

I wouldnt mind them adding a center to the DTD area, we wouldnt use it, and Im sure if there was a Deluxe Hotel in that area it would have one. With OKW and SSR, they dont share the cost with the resort side for those types of amenities. The members and DVD would pay the entire cost.

Maybe they need to do a survey of members to see how many are really interested.

It makes complete sense to have a kids center at SSR with its proximity to DTD. Also, Disney would make more money in the long run if mom and dad spent money on a fancy dinner or going to Pleasure Island. Most DVCers have APs, so Disney is not making extra money if mom and dad decide to do the parks with the kids instead. I think a kids center would be a nice selling point to SSR. Aside from the costs to staff and maintain extra insurance, using a pre-exsisting kids center is a no-brainer, especially once SSR sells out.

The costs would be minimal at best when spread out over that many members.

Seriously, wouldn't it worth a 10 cents per member increase to have that offered? Before WMD calls my bluff, that 10 cents is a guess. I'll go out on a limb and say he'd probably agree the cost would be very low in the grand scheme of things.

Seriously, wouldn't it worth a 10 cents per member increase to have that offered?

Since I have no children of my own and am the designated "kid care" person for my nieces and nephews, my answer would be no. :)

Since I have no children of my own and am the designated "kid care" person for my nieces and nephews, my answer would be no. :)

I agree100% why should all members be asked to pay for your babysitter...If they want to open up a babysitting service that is pay as you go and not subsidized by my dues I'm all for it.
Maybe I'm a little strange but when DW and I took our children to WDW or anywhere else we vacationed with them and never once thought of dropping them off with strangers. We did however vacation once a year while GM and GP watched our children. Now that our parenting job is complete we have plenty of time to eat out and have a few drinks, sure do miss sitting in the room at night with two tired out kids after a day in the parks or at the beach.

I would love to go to the spa at SSR, but can't because no nearby kids' club. So I will have to take my spa dollars to the GF where they offer it. If SSR is supposed to be a real spa resort feel, how can they not offer a kids facility for the solo travelling parent/guardian? I just don't understand that.

I agree100% why should all members be asked to pay for your babysitter...If they want to open up a babysitting service that is pay as you go and not subsidized by my dues I'm all for it.
Maybe I'm a little strange but when DW and I took our children to WDW or anywhere else we vacationed with them and never once thought of dropping them off with strangers. We did however vacation once a year while GM and GP watched our children. Now that our parenting job is complete we have plenty of time to eat out and have a few drinks, sure do miss sitting in the room at night with two tired out kids after a day in the parks or at the beach.

Well, I guess everyone's idea of vacationing is different. Everything we do is for our kids, but I'm a SAHM and DH is home every night and is off 2 days a week so we are w/our kids 24/7 which is the way we want it. My oldest is in school full time now, but one is in preschool and the other is only 2. We go out to dinner about once every 3 months for about 4 hours and leave the kids w/our good friend who we babysit for in return. We don't have any grandparents to watch them-not because they're not around, but they are not the babysitting type-let's not even get into that subject! But anyway even if they were and did, DH and I wouild never go on vacation and leave them w/the grandparents because we couldn't be away from them for that long-not even one night. -Maybe when they are older we could do a weekend but I mean when they are MUCH older (like highschool age). As far as leaving them w/ "strangers", we feel that the kid's clubs are quite safe and supervised and are much like dropping them off at school-they get to interact w/other children and basically just have fun. Now, we wouldn't leave them w/an inroom sitter because if she ends up being a wack job who's gonna stop her? Pretty much in the kid's club we feel there's safety in numbers. Plus our kids are very social and make friends w/other kids immediately. Just want to say, that I'm not trying to judge those of you who would use the inroom sitters, it's just that we arent' okay w/it. Plus, we're only talking about doing dinner w/out them 1 night out of approx. 9 (that's usually how many nights we stay at WDW)-I don't think we should feel guilty about it (although we probably will miss them at some point 'cause that's usually how we feel when we're not w/them for more than a couple of hours :) )

Well, there are some services offered that I don't use, maybe I can get a refund on my dues?

Seriously, just because you don't use something doesn't mean it shouldn't be offered. The more things offered the more valuable your resort becomes. Many don't use the pool, maybe that lifeguard cost should be removed? Hey, I don't go to the Spa, doesn't mean I don't appreciate having it at SSR.

I'll gladly pay dues for services that many members may enjoy. The question becomes if enough members would want this to justify the cost in dues.

I don't see why it can't be somewhat self supporting? I would expect them to charge a fee. Perhaps it needs a little support in terms of funds and building space but why not?

I know at VB they charge a fee for the evening. I don't think they have a super themed space, but what they do have is great CM's that do fun activities with the kids. We actually didn't use it (thought about it but it didn't fit our schedule) but saw them walking through the resortone evening.

Well, there are some services offered that I don't use, maybe I can get a refund on my dues?

Seriously, just because you don't use something doesn't mean it shouldn't be offered. The more things offered the more valuable your resort becomes. Many don't use the pool, maybe that lifeguard cost should be removed? Hey, I don't go to the Spa, doesn't mean I don't appreciate having it at SSR.

I'll gladly pay dues for services that many members may enjoy. The question becomes if enough members would want this to justify the cost in dues.

The expenses for the SPA do not come out of your dues - you are NOT paying a penny for that facility unless you choose to use the personal service. The same goes for restaurants - they don't cost the members anything unless they choose to use them. Barbershops, Beauty Salons, Boutiques and boats are available at many resorts, but none are included in the membership expense or reservation expense - they are all funded on a fee-for-service basis.

The childcare facility (Harbour Club) at BWV/BWI has closed - I suspect due to insufficient use to justify the operational expense - but guests may still use the other onsite centers. While many of the DVC resorts do have some free recreational activities, most of the programs also have an expense involved (often with a discount for DVC members).

We've stayed in very few timeshares where there is any childcare service provided - other than a list of local babysitters. The few that have offered some form of childcare have also had a fee schedule for those desiring the service. WDW and DVC guests have at least as many childcare options as most other timeshare resorts and many other resorts in general.

I have thought this from the get go. I thought that when they were done selling they would turn the kids club currently there to one that can be used. Especially with PI right across the water. That would be super convienent for those staying at SSR to drop their kids off, walk over to DTD and then walk back to get their kids and head back to the room.

I have emailed member services a few times about it. I think this is one thing that needs lobbying for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter