Why No On-Site Sit-Down Restaurant at HHI?

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
DH and I are going to HHI for the first time in Jan '08, 5 nights in a 1BR, just the two of us. We have owned DVC since 2000, and own at BVW and VWL. We have also stayed at BCV.

DH likes to go to Disney to rest and relax :-)confused3 , no I don't understand either :lmao: ), and in a 5-night trip we might go to one park. (I get in my park fix when I go solo, or with my sister and nephew.)

So, we decided to try HHI, rather than a WDW resort, if we're not doing parks anyway, as it's less than an hour drive for us to HHI. I think I read there is a snack bar at the pool and at the beach house (both with limited hours), but no actual sit-down restaurant, correct? I was just wondering WHY is there no on-site restaurant? Does this resort not run at full capacity and can't support a restaurant? Just wondering.

You will have a wonderful time at HHI. My family loves it - it is our favorite vacation spot.

There are two nights when they do provide dinner - a county BBQ night and a shrimp boil night. Both cost $$. Hilton Head is renown for its wonderful restaurants. Add to that that most of the units have full kitchens (out of 102, most are 2 BR!) and the result is that a restaurant would be a money loser.

It is a great place - we just returned from a 2 weeker - one week at OKW and one at HHI. My kids asked every day - how long until Hilton Head?

Have a great time!

DH and I are going to HHI for the first time in Jan '08, 5 nights in a 1BR, just the two of us. We have owned DVC since 2000, and own at BVW and VWL. We have also stayed at BCV.

DH likes to go to Disney to rest and relax :-)confused3 , no I don't understand either :lmao: ), and in a 5-night trip we might go to one park. (I get in my park fix when I go solo, or with my sister and nephew.)

So, we decided to try HHI, rather than a WDW resort, if we're not doing parks anyway, as it's less than an hour drive for us to HHI. I think I read there is a snack bar at the pool and at the beach house (both with limited hours), but no actual sit-down restaurant, correct? I was just wondering WHY is there no on-site restaurant? Does this resort not run at full capacity and can't support a restaurant? Just wondering.

The Hilton Head (township I guess) zoning ordinances prevent Disney (and the other resorts) from opening a full restaurant and forces the snack bars to close at 5pm. Keeps the restaurant business with the local owners.

I think I remember from the member tour that we took when we were at HH the last time that it was also part of the deal made by Disney to be able to build at HH, not to have a sit down restaurant. There are all sorts of building codes and regulations at HH. If you are there on a Tuesday, you might be interested in the member tour. All kinds of interesting info.

There are several places to eat within walking distance and a wide variety of places to eat on the island.

If your DH is looking for a place to relax, then HH is the spot. One of my favorite activities is to sit on the really nice porch in the rocking chair with a good book. Doesn't get much better than that for relaxing.

Enjoy your trip.

I love everything Disney, I love HHI, the resort is one of my favorite places in the entire would. A sit down restaurant would be just like shutters at VB. while I like shutters, it is no where near some of the great places at HHI. THe burgers at the snack bar at HHI are not as good as Pecos Bills in the MK.

If you do not feel like going out, there is a service that will deliver some of the area restaurants to your room. You'll get a big book full of menus at check in.

If you do not feel like going out, there is a service that will deliver some of the area restaurants to your room. You'll get a big book full of menus at check in.

Now that's a great idea!! Thanks for the tip.

When we went we were very surprised that the snack bar closed at 5:00pm. We stayed in a studio. At first I was very disapointed. However, there are many great restaurants within walking distance of the resort. We learned very quickly that if we wanted alcohol at the resort after 5pm, we better have it in our room because it's not available on site! We are thinking of going back next summer and taking my parents with us. I think they would really enjoy it.

The Hilton Head (township I guess) zoning ordinances prevent Disney (and the other resorts) from opening a full restaurant and forces the snack bars to close at 5pm. Keeps the restaurant business with the local owners.

Thanks! Now that makes sense. I'm familiar with lots of the "odd" ordinances HH has (we live in Savannah, and my husband works in Bluffton), so I knew there had to be some reason there was no restaurant. Thanks for the explanation.

I don't mind the restaurant situation (there are too many great places to eat at HH as it is) but I wish they sold Mickey Head ice cream at the snack bar! Then it would be perfect.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter