Why oh why does it always happen to us? - warning, long thread ahead

musicmama

Now an Irish Dancer's mama
We were going to our favorite local campground for a relaxing Memorial Day holiday. Were. Not now. (and I'm prepared to hear about how we wussed out, but remember, DH is mechanically inept and our usual camping buddies who are "ept" are other places this weekend) We have a '96 FourWinds 29' Class C that did make to the Fort twice - once with the original owners and once with us. This is the first time DH, DD and I have been all together since DFIL had heart failure in late March and DH has been spending 5-6 days/week there (DFIL is back home and recovering well, wanted DH to come with us just to have some quiet time of his own :rotfl:)

So, DH goes out yesterday afternoon to start 'er up and MH doesn't start. (hasn't been run since Christmas time) Opens the hood and the battery is corroded. Badly. The Sears DieHard battery that I bought 2 Thanksgivings ago and unfortunately paid cash for and can't find the receipt for, so no discount/credit for being inside warranty. Online pickup from Sears takes about an hour to get there, pick up, and get back home. Battery installation takes longer than DH anticipated but the MH starts. Meanwhile, he notices that the rear tires are very low, so he gets the compressor out and fills them.

All these "little" delays mean that instead of leaving at 5pm, he leaves at 8pm. DD and I are still at her Irish Dance class, we still have to go back home for me to pack. We leave our house at 11:15pm, it'll take about 45 minutes for us to get to the campground, unless we stop at Walmart for perishables (which we do).

DH gets to campground around 10:30pm (he stops for a hoagie for dinner) - the first time that he's ever checked in and parked alone, and manages pretty well. Until...

He hooks the water up and starts it through the system. Very slow pressure. Goes outside to check and water is POURING from the bottom of the MH. Looks with the flashlight and there is a HOLE in the freshwater tank and water has spewed everywhere.

He calls me at 12:15AM (yep after midnight) when I've just gotten to the Walmart with an exhausted DD and we've got the milk and eggs in the cart. DD has a meltdown in the store and she and I go home, thinking that we might come out in the early afternoon, after I finish work. I was originally going to work from the MH using their pay-for-the-day internet, but it'll be easier if I just use my own already-paid-for internet connection. We could try using a hose from the connection and minimal water use, which I'll have to buy because our current white hose is too short, but I'm also supposed to take DD to a party later today. Meaning - work, drive to campground 30 miles west, be there for an hour or so, drive 60 miles east to DD's party (30 miles back to home plus 30 miles to party location) wait to pick her up at 11:30pm and drive 2 hours back west to campground.

Meanwhile, DH confirmed that the floor is still pretty wet this morning. So, I tell him to come home. I'll just have to get the tank fixed or replaced later so we can camp in August at the shore. Plus watch out for mold from the wet.

My DSis found a tank repair kit online, but it seems to be more for cracks than holes. Anybody with this kind of experience wanna give some advice? Should I just get the tank replaced? It's the original 1996 tank - does that mean anything? And what can I do about watching for mold - the wet area is under my sink cabinet, stove cabinet, and below the sofa / water heater.

As always, any advice from the gurus here is welcomed. (By the way, is this the kind of repair that insurance would cover?)

Gee I wish I'd opted for the Disney trip...... oh yeah, that wouldn't be til August anyway so I'd still be at the campground for Memorial Day.

Sounds like the holding tank had water left in it over the winter and your avatar leads me to believe some cold weather had a part in it. I would look online for a company that will sell a replacement tank. A wet-vac should help dry the carpet and floor up and then I'd put a high speed fan on the area to dry it out. Do whatever it takes to dry it out before you close it up.

I know nothing about about holding tanks, but I wanted to say I am sorry this is happening. We all have crappy times when nothing seems to work out.:sick: I am just sorry yours is right now.:hug: I hope this gets resolved soon and you can enjoy some much needed family time.:)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would keep some Damp Rid in your MH to help with pulling the moisture out of the air. It does sound as if you are going to have to replace the water tank.

Unfortunately, the wet area is pretty inaccessible (below the sofa and under the cabinets). I was thinking that if we prop the cabinet open and pull the under-stove drawer out, that a fan might work?

Also, we did winterize after our Thanksgiving trip, but I'm thinking that maybe it didn't quite get through to the tank, even though the pink stuff was coming out of the faucets when we finished?

I would open the cabinets, place fans to optimize air movement, and use a dehumidifier... or if the air is dry and warm where you live, just leave the windows open. I use a dehumidifier regularly in our motorhome, but we live in a rather humid climate. It keeps the moho smelling fresh rather than musty, and if there are any places for moisture to get in it keeps the problems to a minimum.

:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter