Why tip the restaurant head server?

dkis4nu

Mouseketeer
We have our restaurant server and our restaurant assistant server, that we tip very well. Isn't the restaurant head server just the guy who seats us, and later, asks how things were? Am I missing some behind the scenes duties that call for a tip? Just wondering - but, I'd rather give a bigger tip to my 2 servers. What am I missing, anyone know?

dk

We wondered the exact same thing...since she didn't do anything for us...she put pepper on our food one night...gave us our character breakfast coupons. The only thing she said she would do for all the couples/people celebrating at our table was have the cakes delivered..she set up the nights and everything...none of the cakes showed up.

We did tip her...but, we really didn't want to.

Webray,
That's more than what our head server did for us on our cruise last December! LOL

We saw ours the first night (he pointed us in the direction of our table) and the last night (he "chitchatted" with us, probably because it was tip night!).

Our Head Server Tommy from Norway came to our table every night to check in on us. He brought the birthday cakes to our table, and really got my DD 13 blushing every time he came around. We also saw Tommy filling in and serving a few of the other tables, when one of the regular servers must have been out sick one night. Tommy left for his two month vacation the Saturday we disembarked. Hope you are having a nice vacation Tommy.

August%2023-30,%202003%20DCL%20Cruise%20photos%20092.jpg

Tommy from Norway-Our Head Server

Your Head Server oversees 1/2 of the dining room. It is their responsibility to make sure that everything runs smoothly. Almost to the point of the less you see them (except for those occasions mentioned) the better. Because they cover so much their expected tip is a lot less than the server and asst server who have to serve a much smaller group.

I've had good and bad head servers. We've had ones we didn't see at all. We have also had ones that have been fantastic. Always stopping by and talking, stopping by our table while at Topsiders, once we even met one in St. Thomas and he stopped to wave and say hello to us even though he was on the phone.

I just my tip to them not only on how they treat me, but others around me. For example on our last cruise we have a family with two small children next to us. The head server paid a great deal of attention to the children and did such a good job with them (thus helping the parents enjoy the cruise more) that I felt he more than earned his tip.

We don't go overboards with the Head server like we do with the others (for example we don't give them phone cards). If they truly go above and beyond I just up their tip a little.

we had Mclean(sp?) as our head server on a recent cruise.....my DS, 7, was crazy about him.....and we all thought he was great...One thing that he did which really impressed me was he bent down to speak to my DS's, so he was always at eye level to them.....this was just a little thing, but I just thought that was great...

head servers do alot of the "behind the scenes" stuff to make the diningroom run smoothly....

Originally posted by WDWLVR
Your Head Server oversees 1/2 of the dining room. It is their responsibility to make sure that everything runs smoothly. Almost to the point of the less you see them (except for those occasions mentioned) the better.

I tend to agree with this WDWLVR. I think they are kept very busy doing a lot of tasks and filling in areas as needed. They are also responsible for mixing salads and making some of the deserts that are prepared in the restaurant seating area.

We have always had Head Servers who made it a point to introduce themselves at the start of the cruise and then to check-in with us as it progressed. This was usually done every-other night or more.

On our last cruise, Tommy was our Head Server as well. He did a great job and was very funny. As it turns out, when he is on vacation from DCL, he returns to Europe and transports sports cars for people! Not a bad second job!

Kappor was my favorite head server. He was always friendly. When we were at Parrot Cay, my husband raved to him about the ribs. Kappor brought out another plate of them AND the chef to our table. Lots of FUN!

Are there really only two head servers per dining room? I was under the impression that there were several more. Anyway, I have had head servers who come by the table each night to ask how things are going, help server food and drinks, or just to say hello; and I've had head servers that I rarely saw. On one cruise, we litereally never saw our head server. When filling out the tip sheet, there's a space to list the crew member's name. I didn't know it, so had to leave it blank. I don't feel the need to tip someone I've never seen.

Ali was our head server on our 4 nite Wonder last month. He came by and brought my DW's cake and our Anniversary cake. Every dinner he came by and said hi, played with the kids and even cut my 11yo DS's steak into cubes! We also requested a special ethnic dish that wasn't on the menu for my 7yo DS for the following night and he came through. DS was so happy for a home cook meal that evening. We also saw him around the boat a number of times and everytime he sees us he always said hi and spend a little time chatting with the kids. We were very happy with all 3 servers.

On the 2 DCL cruises we took, once we never saw the head server the entire time - except across the room. I didn't even know who the HS was until my husb. pointed him out the last night.
The other time the guy said 'Hello, how are you' each night but never came around until the last night & then 'forced' a very short, (overly) friendly talk. I would rather the previous than to be acknowledged just because it is 'tip night'. We barely tipped these guys.

But on two other lines we cruised years ago the Head Server made a point of acknowledging us, & talking & playing around with my kids every night. We have a bunch of pictures in our album of him with the kids. He knew all of us @ the table by name & other tables, too. So, he got a VERY generous tip - over & above the recommended.
The other one we didn't have kids with us, but the HS was just as friendly & made a point of acknowledging everyone & helping to serve.

This Tommy sounds like the perfect HS. I hope we get one like him this time.

Most cruises list the Head server as an assistant Maitre D. On most cruise lines this position is recommended for tipping only if they do somethings special., as is the person in charge of the entire Dining room. The Maitre D usually only gets involved if you have a problem that cannot be handled otherwise or for change of seatings so they rarely are tipped but I understand they tend to be paid very well. The assistant Maitre D usually do the special deserts, handle special events (Bdays, etc), check and make sure all is going well and the like. Some are really hands on and others only there if they're needed.

I can't speak to DVC but with RCCL, they have usually been the best part of the wait staff. One we had on the Enchantment of the Seas a few years ago was the best I've ever seen at any restaurant for anything. He was charming, funny and efficient. He had previously been a Maitre D but said the stress ws too much so moved down a notch. We were on the Soverign of the Seas this past winter and again this was the best part of the wait staff.

It is really hit and miss... have had some great ones that came by everynight, gave you a rundown of the events for the next night, did the celebrations, knew you by name ... and have had others that you never see, only on the final night do they make an appearance.

And so it goes that the tipping is hit and miss too ... the great ones get tipped ... and the others, we'll, they get missed. Not sure if that is right, but some do go all out and those deserve to get rewarded.

Originally posted by gswfan
Ali was our head server on our 4 nite Wonder last month. He came by and brought my DW's cake and our Anniversary cake. Every dinner he came by and said hi, played with the kids and even cut my 11yo DS's steak into cubes! We also saw him around the boat a number of times and everytime he sees us he always said hi and spend a little time chatting with the kids. We were very happy with all 3 servers.

We had Ali also and loved him....he really catered to my daughter the whole time. We also had Michael and Tayfun who were great too...I can't remember out stateroom host but he was not that great, didn't talk, left one towel animal, ice only in the morning...nothing special.

We had McLean as our head server on our cruise last year. He was wonderful. He always spoke to the kids and made them feel important. As a previous poster stated, he would kneel down so that he would talk to the kids eye to eye. He really helped make a great cruise experience.

Pam

On our first DCL cruise the Head Server was great! He stopped by our table everynight, very informative, even served us one night when regular waiter was sick. On our last DCL cruise the Head Server was just annoying. Maybe it was me, maybe it was cultural, but none the less she was annoying.

Originally posted by Lloyd Dobler
Are there really only two head servers per dining room? I was under the impression that there were several more.

I thought there were more than two per dining room as well. It seems that I've seen more than just two...

There could be more than two but what sticks out in my mind is when they come out for the parade on AP night it always seems there are just two with jackets on (the head servers) and everyone else in the vests (the servers and asst. servers). I could be totally off base. I don't think there are more than 4 per dining room, but I really thought it was 2.

I just wanted to give some credit to our head server on our Wonder cruise last year. PJ was awesome, he stopped by every night to chat with our table. Most nights, we were the last ones to leave because we were having such great conversationgs with him. Not only did he handle all of our special occasions, make sure we were all having a great time, but he was full of tips and information to make our cruise even better and more interesting. :) I saw him all over the ship too...working...and always with a moment to smile, wave or chat. :) In my opinion, he more than deserved the tip we gave him.

PJ you're awesome!

We had Mac as a waiter two years ago and were thrilled to read he had been promoted, so much so that we tried to get him as our head server on this past cruise, sadly without success.

He did manage to find us, at Topsiders one morning and we had a great conversation.

On four cruises we have had two terrific and two OK head servers. The they were tipped accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter