Will changing dates cause deposit loss?

canadakath

Mouseketeer
We are considering booking a 2018 Rhine River Cruise. I would like to book now to take advantage of current offers, but DH can't be guaranteed that specific week off until November this year. If we have to switch weeks, would we lose our deposit?

We are considering booking a 2018 Rhine River Cruise. I would like to book now to take advantage of current offers, but DH can't be guaranteed that specific week off until November this year. If we have to switch weeks, would we lose our deposit?

You shouldn't. ABD typically let's you move a deposit around without penalty. If the date you move it to is more expensive than the one you originally booked, you might need to pay some additional deposit. For example, we booked Backstage Magic for this summer, but then decided to move it to Summer 2018. Those dates aren't out yet, but we were coming up on our pay in full date, so our TA moved our ressie to a December 2017 trip while we wait for 2018 dates to be released. We had to pay a tiny bit more in deposit because we lost our early booking discount with the move. But otherwise, there was no penalty.

Yeah, I've done it too. Used the deposit I put on the San Francisco trip towards my upcoming backstage magic. From my understanding, the only reason they may not allow it, is if your cancellation could cause the trip to be a no-go (which I don't get because if you choose not to go and forgo the deposit it is probably still in jeopardy). However, with a river cruise, that wouldn't be an issue given the number of people the ship holds and I'm sure if they're working with AMA, Disney would have to ensure those ships go.

Thanks Calfan! I thought I had read about a few folks here moving dates around, just wanted to make sure!
Yep, I'm one of those folks who moved a deposit around. I actually ended up switching it to a different trip! (From the Central Europe trip to the Danube River Cruise) They've been really good about that.

Sayhello

I moved a deposit as well. Was planning on going on a the Danube river cruise for Christmas 2016, switched it to Summer 2017 with no trouble. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter