Will I fit on HP rides?

Sergeant Watermelon

Earning My Ears
Going to Orlando in 2 weeks and I've been working hard all summer to lose weight. I've lost 30lbs so far but I didn't reach my goal for the trip sadly. I'm currently 294 and 6'2. My belly is 54" and my chest is 50". I'm hoping I can fit on the Harry Potter rides. I have 2 weeeks so I'm pushing myself as hard as I can to lose as much as possible before go time. Thank you for any insight it's greatly appreciated

Sorry to say that I don't think that'll cut it. They'll have test seats....be sure to try them. Good luck!

Your height might help you.

Dh is assuming he'll get on FJ, based on how far the test seat has gotten before, once he's below 300 and he's shorter than you.

I might be wrong. Dh might be wrong. But maybe.

You might be okay on Gringotts since it's a lapbar. My husband is 5'11 and was around 315 when we last went, and he managed to squeeze in. He hasn't been able to fit on Forbidden Journey yet though, even when he weighed 300. Forbidden journey has an over-the-shoulder harness and requires 3 clicks to be able to ride. He's only ever gotten 2 clicks. He carries his weight in his stomach. You're taller though, so you might have more luck!

Good luck! And if you can't fit the Harry Potter rides, just keep pushing yourself to lose until you can. Congratulations on the weight loss! Keep it up!

As other posters said, definitely try the test seats. I went in May and weighed 230 but I am only 5'3". My belly / hips were 52" and my chest was 54". I was able to ride everything. There is a row for Gringott's that provides a bit more room - does anyone here know what that is?

Good luck with your weight loss and don't get discouraged!

Definitely the last row! I should have mentioned that. My husband always needs that row. It also provides more leg room for taller people.

I know the Mummy also has the last row for large or tall peeps
One of my sons was 5' 11 and 265 lbs and did okay on last row of the mummy and a few other rides.

It's going to be close. As others said, ask for outside seats on Forbidden Journey and ask for last row on Gringott's. I think you have a good chance for success, though.

Not sure about your specifics size, but try Gringotts before FJ. We went with someone who fit on Gringotts but just missed fitting on FJ. (He also fit on Hulk but not Mummy). They made sure to put him in a row on Gringotts that had more room. I'm not sure about bigger seats on FJ but once they had me sit in the middle despite me being a single rider and splitting up a party of three. They wanted one of the people on the edge who looked like he could have been borderline for fitting.

Wishing you good luck. Your post and attitude inspires me somehow. Keep on going, I really really hope you will be able to ride everything.

Man I love this forum so much!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

I'm not sure about bigger seats on FJ but once they had me sit in the middle despite me being a single rider and splitting up a party of three. They wanted one of the people on the edge who looked like he could have been borderline for fitting.

The outside two seats on every bench have a more generous allowance for the harness.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is tall and big. He sometimes can't get the lock for the over the shoulder restraints. Try the test seats and say something to the staff right away so they can route you to the appropriate seat. Happy travels! ☺️

I want to mention that each different ride might be different.

Because of how dh carries his weight he's unlikely to ever get on The Mummy or Gringotts. Especially Gringotts. Even when smaller he has tree trunk thighs and calves that likely will never squeeze into the small space allotted for legs in those upside-down-U restraints.

FJ has a different system. Withrhat breadth of shoulders + thickness of back + belly + legs = nope for him. He finally found a way of eating that works (grain-free and no added sugar, poor thing, but it's helping his overall health not just his weight) and his back and belly are shrinking. So the thighs will still be there but he wint have so many issues adding up to not being able to ride.

Makes sense?

Thank you everyone for the replies, I will definetly at least try. I was honestly a little discouraged to even give it a shot. I never thought much about the weight issue until the whole fiasco with flight of passage at animal kingdom and began looking into the other parks we would be visiting. I have 2 weeks! And I'll be pushing myself to progress further and further until it's time to go!

If you carry weight in your shoulders/chest FJ may not work. I rode it at 230 lbs and 5'7" and had to move to an outside seat to fit. No other ride has ever given me problems. Good luck with your weight loss. I've lost 50 lbs in the last 7 months and hope to take off a few more before my spring trip.

Thank you everyone for the replies, I will definetly at least try. I was honestly a little discouraged to even give it a shot. I never thought much about the weight issue until the whole fiasco with flight of passage at animal kingdom and began looking into the other parks we would be visiting. I have 2 weeks! And I'll be pushing myself to progress further and further until it's time to go!

Pilates! Concentrated core work can suck you in at the belly. Not sure if two weeks is enough but if you're careful with form it can't hurt and might help.

I gave some vague encouragement above, but I'll swallow my pride in order to give you (and others reading this) some more specific anecdotal advice. Based on my experience, you are indeed right there on the edge. I'm 6'1 and similar weight/measurements. Weight is difficult to base the prediction, since scales vary a lot (I always weigh about 10 lbs more at my doctor's office than at home). My current chest is about the same as you, and my belly is a couple inches less.

BTW, I'm hoping I still fit in a few weeks when we go to USO. So I understand your anxiety about the whole thing.

Anyway, I am usually able to fit on both rides, but I have been disallowed even on the same day where I was able to ride (Forbidden Journey). I strongly recommend you spend a few minutes in the test seat trying to figure out the best way to sit and how to pull the harnesses.

If you get a yellow light on the FJ test seats, then you still have a good chance of getting to ride in the outside (modified) seats. It's a bit of a puzzle figuring out how to sit and be able to pull down the harness. Broad shoulders/chest and the belly can both be problematic. Try to figure it out to get a yellow on the test seats. You might get pulled aside in the queue to try the mid-castle test seat, but don't let that bother you. Sometimes on the real seats a Cast Member will give you that last little push on the harness to click to green. Not guaranteed they will, but they might. Of course, even if they do, if you are uncomfortable, ask to be let out to wait in the child swap room.

On Escape from Gringott's, the problem area is shins/thighs. Be sure to empty pockets into the locker before you get in the line. My cell phone and wallet in my cargo shorts almost cost me a ride on Gringott's at HHN last year.

As I, and others, said earlier, for FJ: ask for an outside seat (they have a little more room for chest and belly) and for EfG: ask for last row (it has a little more room for legs).

Reiterating here: Wear loose clothes and empty all pockets into a locker, try the test seats (if you get a yellow light, still go through the line and try), and if you don't make it on the ride, try again later, because it's easy to gain/lose bloat on-site.

I still think you have a good shot to ride both rides, but it will be close (based on my experience with similar attributes). I honestly wish you the best and hope you get to ride both, but if it doesn't work out, don't let that ruin your vacation. There are plenty of rides you will get to enjoy either way!

Unsolicited advice: ask for last row on The Mummy (same reason as Gringott's, but it's easier to fit on Mummy), ask for a modified seat on Hulk, and if you ride Flight of Hippogryph (or Woody Woodpecker) family coaster try crossing your legs to get the lap bar to close. There is absolutely no embarrassment asking for modified seats where available. The only person that will know is the Cast Member you ask.

Finally, relax, have fun, and enjoy everything you can at USO. There's plenty to enjoy, not just those two rides!

Imprint, your post may be one of the best messages that's ever appeared on this board. I frequent some other sites and everybody is in such a hurry to criticize other people or talk down. Your post was well thought out and filled with empathy and great advice. The world needs more people like you.

My brother in law and sister are both very tall and very large people around the high 200 mark and the only ride I remember that neither one could fit was The Hulk. Gringotts wasn't there yet, but they both did FJ as I recall with no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter