Wind & Waves

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
Wasn’t sure if I should post this on the restaurant board, or the DVC board. Opted for DVC because I figured most non DVC folks wouldn’t know the restaurant.

Anyway, we eat here a couple of times per month as we are local.

I opted to venture to something new and ordered the pizza. They listed the pizza of the day and it sounded great. Roast beef & Swiss with garlic.
Well the pizza came out without red sauce. I brought it to the servers attention and she said she read the toppings. True enough, but everyone expects red sauce & mozzarella UNLESS ITS ADVERTISED AS A WHITE PIZZA.
I pointed out there was no such mention and they sort of got argumentative. I asked for the manager, who got even more argumentative and claiming there is no such thing as a white pizza.

There is more details to my gripes, but I’ll let it go at that.

Please just advertise it as a white pizza and I would not have ordered it. That is my entire gripe summarized , but somehow they did not grasp that concept.

So, this roast beef, swiss cheese, and garlic creation was basically a flat roast beef, swiss, and garlic sandwich which was toasted? I'd have sent it back too, because that is not pizza!
Indeed... it was in pizza form without a red sauce. No red sauce is a white pizza. They refused to acknowledge that.

I’ve never heard of the restaurant but wouldn’t have expected that combination to have a red sauce. It’s pretty common for nicer pizza places here to do this-in other words, the menu lists exactly what’s on the pizza so if no red sauce is listed, there isn’t any.

I would have expected red sauce definitely!

I mostly like their things but what they described as chicken pot pie was not IMO. I will not order it again!

I would not have expected a tomato based sauce on this pizza. I would have expected garlic/olive oil or garlic/parmesan sauce. A little rosemary would've been nice, too.

Thing is, I am very familiar with pizza that does not have red sauce.
But it’s listed as a white pizza. If it doesn’t say white pizza, I expect a red sauce.

I agree with some of the other posters that I wouldn't have expected (or even wanted) that combination to come with red sauce. I've seen and eaten plenty of pizzas without red sauce that were not classified as white pizza. There are all types of pizzas with all types of sauces - or none at all. If the menu doesn't specifically say it's a white pizza I'd never just assume that meant red sauce.

Now, that's no excuse for the staff to be rude to you and the fact that the manager didn't know what a white pizza was is pretty laughable. Sorry you're experience wasn't great.

The term "white pizza" must be a regional thing. No place in my area uses it. They simply list the ingredients, which includes what kind of sauce is on it, as there are several...that they use.

Marinara, meat sauce, creamy alfredo, pesto, and so forth. Asother have said, I never kust assume a pizza has a tomato based sauce, and with the other ingredients you listed, using a tomato sauce would not even be on my radar.

Okay... I’ll let it go with the term white pizza.
I’ve always considered a pizza to automatically come with sauce & cheese, unless otherwise listed. If one orders a pepperoni pizza, red sauce and cheese is assumed. No need need to order a pepperoni pizza “with red sauce”.
But, I’ll leave this one alone. apparently others disagree, so perhaps I was wrong.

Never heard of a white pizza ... but from a CA POV, I wouldn't have expected red sauce. We have plenty of pizza toppings here that don't have red sauce. Yes, we eat vegetables on pizza! :)

OP, I know what you mean when you say white pizza. All our locally owned traditional pizza places call a pizza without red sauce a white pizza. In the last 5-10 yrs, all kinds of specialty and chain shops have opened up. They probably don't use the term white pizza.

I would not have expected red sauce either. I think it probably just depends on if you have run into it before or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter