Wine and Dine 2015

Well, I just impulse registered for a half in MA for this Sunday to make up for last weekend. I was going to do one 11/22, but that would have been 5 weeks out from my last long run. This weekend it is! I hope my feet have recovered from all the park walking by then. :D They still hurt!

I know exactly which one you're doing!! I considered it, but decided not to after I got held up at two different airports yesterday while trying to get home :(

It very well might have been. I actually did start very close to the back of G (could see the separation ribbon for the start of H as we were moving forward at one point). So who knows. :)

I think it was you. I could see the OTHER side of the seperation ribbon from my spot in H. And when @SunDial posted his clip of his perspective of the H corral start- I'm basically even with the annoucer's platform. Like I could literally see the timing mat between the spread of people for the start. We probably ran a very close pace- but I bet you passed me in the end. I kind of forgot that I hadn't trained to run a sprint for 7 miles and that last mile I had to conserve. Or rather, the body was like 'hey stupid? you're 37 not 17; you're not Meb. Slow it down'

I like to finish the last quarter at a dead gallop- and if I'd have kept going the way I had been? I probably would have had to crawl. or in a burst of flames *pokes @flatlandcycle*

Just as you hit stop so you could start running? that blue blurb moving across the screen? That was me. I was pretty much in line with the announcer's stand. Small world indeed
I was probably about 10-20 feet behind @SunDial judging by my starting vantage point and the video. :) My vantage point from H:

pSoEnh5l.jpg

To echo what @Dis5150 said, the level of a$$hattery from people was out of control.

The third or fourth time I got elbowed through (and I was off to the far right, as usual), by some idiot thinking they were going to win the race after hitting every character stop, I kinda threw in the towel and stopped trying to push myself to do better and really just tried to avoid tripping or getting knocked down.

And let's all be real - while there was definitely a safety issue that forced the course to be cut short, I'm sure Disney still wanted to maximize the time 14k-plus people spent spending more money at the After Party.

Anyway. I'm officially over it and I've moved on. I've also left all the FB groups related to this race, so that's definitely helped me move past my feelings towards this race! :D

To echo what @Dis5150 said, the level of a$$hattery from people was out of control.

The third or fourth time I got elbowed through (and I was off to the far right, as usual), by some idiot thinking they were going to win the race after hitting every character stop, I kinda threw in the towel and stopped trying to push myself to do better and really just tried to avoid tripping or getting knocked down.

And let's all be real - while there was definitely a safety issue that forced the course to be cut short, I'm sure Disney still wanted to maximize the time 14k-plus people spent spending more money at the After Party.

Anyway. I'm officially over it and I've moved on. I've also left all the FB groups related to this race, so that's definitely helped me move past my feelings towards this race! :D

Was the fallout on FB bad? I don't use FB anymore and haven't in years, so I'm not in the loop....

I know exactly which one you're doing!! I considered it, but decided not to after I got held up at two different airports yesterday while trying to get home :(

Is it the trail based one?
Thought about that. Wonder if it's harder or easier to do a trail run half marathon. Probably a wicked fun challenge....

Is it the trail based one?
Thought about that. Wonder if it's harder or easier to do a trail run half marathon. Probably a wicked fun challenge....
No, Harborside in Newburyport.

I actually switched because the one in Nashua on 11/22 was a trail one. Groomed trails, but still not a surface I've trained on at all since high school cross country. :)

I have pretty much gotten over the race being shortened for the weather. We had a good run, and it was probably the best call at the time, given the looks of the radar and the risks. I figure I'm willing to take the risk for myself, but it wouldn't be fair of me to expect volunteers or cast members to be out there in the open just because I want to run. So that part of the weekend I've made my peace with.

What I'm still really hung up on is the after-party. Was this experience pretty typical of what it's usually like? Am I missing something? We did go on Soarin' with no wait, so that was cool, but other than that, it seemed to be just tired, sweaty people proceeding forward around World Showcase with nothing to do, or else standing in amazingly, off-puttingly long, long, long lines for food and drink. Is that what the party is? Or was this unusual? I guess I just expected it to be more fun. Maybe I was too tired and deflated to appreciate it? What are these parties usually like in comparison to this one, those of you who have done it before? I was disappointed, and wouldn't want to do it again if this was the norm. We had a much better time at Epcot on Sunday, which was still pretty crowded, than we did that night. The lines were shorter and there was more to do.

Thoughts??

I've been to F&W nights where it felt like EPCOT was standing room only. And I've been there where it was definately busy; but doable. DH ran this race last in 2011- and felt like this one was horrible compared to that one in both terms of on course antics and after party. The lines were just out of control I felt. We made the most of it- but definately did not hit up all the booths we would have if they'd been more manageable. I don't think we spent $20 of our own money at the party. Certainly not more than $30.

No, Harborside in Newburyport.

I actually switched because the one in Nashua on 11/22 was a trail one. Groomed trails, but still not a surface I've trained on at all since high school cross country. :)

Oh! That one. I saw that one. I think registration closed yesterday for it. I thought about the trail run- but like you haven't trained on a groomed trail since like March. And that was like 2 runs. I do have the shoes for it- but I haven't trained for it.

I was probably about 10-20 feet behind @SunDial judging by my starting vantage point and the video. :) My vantage point from H:

pSoEnh5l.jpg

my picture didn't turn out but based on what I can make out, I was by after the flag post but before the light stand there. I was between center and left hand side of the road.

Was the fallout on FB bad? I don't use FB anymore and haven't in years, so I'm not in the loop....
Lot of complaining on the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon group, and some weird thing about fairies or something and secrets that doesn't make any sense to me but kind of annoying. I didn't do this race but am in the group for future info if I do it.

I wonder if the "attitudes" were from the 10K distance. Thinking about it when I did the 1st Minnie Mouse 10K I got much of the same mentality I witnessed at Wine and Dine this year. Lots of A and B corral people stopping for character then flying past run/walkers while yelling stuff about race etiquette.

I did try to say sorry any time I was unintentionally rude. I will say I wish walkers would fall into a line or something when it gets super crowded. There was no "run" lane on the Boardwalk and at Beach/Yacht so until it opened back up there was just no running back for H people.

I wonder if the "attitudes" were from the 10K distance. Thinking about it when I did the 1st Minnie Mouse 10K I got much of the same mentality I witnessed at Wine and Dine this year. Lots of A and B corral people stopping for character then flying past run/walkers while yelling stuff about race etiquette.

I did try to say sorry any time I was unintentionally rude. I will say I wish walkers would fall into a line or something when it gets super crowded. There was no "run" lane on the Boardwalk and at Beach/Yacht so until it opened back up there was just no running back for H people.
I think you are right on about numbers. A 10k will be quite full with 14000 runners.

It got clogged at the castle during the Princess 1/2, 2015. The race came to a dead stop for walkers. Maybe they should stop selling so many race slots.

Last edited:
It got clogged at the castle during the Princess 2015. The race came to a dead stop for walkers. Maybe they should stop selling so many race slots.

I cannot recall a single race where the castle hasn't been a major clog/congestion/stop point, at least by the time my corral to it. And the chances of runDisney lower the number of bibs when they can sell them all I think is very low.

I think you are right on about numbers. A 10k will be quite full with 14000 runners.

It got clogged at the castle during the Princess 1/2, 2015. The race came to a dead stop for walkers. Maybe they should stop selling so many race slots.

I think they will have to cut out several thousand to get the crowded parts back under control.

At least the castle is like the light tube where it isn't too long. The Boardwalk area felt so long and having to walk sucks. It doesn't help since I was doing 20/30 splits my Garmin ran out of intervals since it won't let you do 20 in a run only multiples of 15. It only does 20 in workout mode.

Lots of A and B corral people stopping for character then flying past run/walkers while yelling stuff about race etiquette.
Yep, that would be us A and B corral people :earboy2:
Honestly, if you stop for photos you just need to accept the fact you are going to be with people who are of different pace than you were running. The more stops the greater the difference. Bolt out of the line and then find a way back to your pace. It can be tough, my closest experience was running the Peachtree this year. I ran with my wife at about 12:30/mile pace for the first 4 miles and then picked up to about 7:45/mile to the finish. It was tough finding space to run through everyone, but if patient and vocal you can do it safely. Though you can't help but frighten the music listeners who have no idea you are coming until you zip past them in fairly close quarters.

Yep, that would be us A and B corral people :earboy2:
Honestly, if you stop for photos you just need to accept the fact you are going to be with people who are of different pace than you were running. The more stops the greater the difference. Bolt out of the line and then find a way back to your pace. It can be tough, my closest experience was running the Peachtree this year. I ran with my wife at about 12:30/mile pace for the first 4 miles and then picked up to about 7:45/mile to the finish. It was tough finding space to run through everyone, but if patient and vocal you can do it safely. Though you can't help but frighten the music listeners who have no idea you are coming until you zip past them in fairly close quarters.

I don't mind the zipping past part. This time it wasn't so bad except the guy almost took out someone trying to get around them. The Minnie 10K was the worst. Some lady came out of the Goofy line and ran past screaming "Out of my way I'm going for a PR" and my friend yelled back "If you want a PR don't stop for characters!".

The A/B thing was just how stacked we were this time. Instead of thinning out over the first few miles the thinning didn't happen until the lights really and even then it was still pretty packed. The 5ks are the same way but I don't know anyone that runs a Disney 5K to win. The 10K is the last distance where people are still stacked for most of the race.

I skipped my walk break on the boardwalk, kept looking behind and always had people too close. Decided to pick up my pace then had trouble passing someone, was very tight through there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter