• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wish Cruise for Two Adults - Should We Keep It?

We just sailed on the WIsh last week and would do it as two adults. We were there with 3 grandchildren and their parents so our time was child centered. I did not think the adult areas were crowded and we wished we could spend time there. The shows are worthwhile for adults - more interesting to us than to our 5 year old DGD.

There were so many adult areas here and there that we could not see them all. We have sailed all of the ships and found the adult areas we saw to be well themed but we could not take advantage.

We did not enjoy the Marvel dining room but we are not into that genre. It was a bit too noisy for us. Perhaps as two adults it would have been better - we had to settle 2 of the children because they found some of the film clips on the wall disturbing and they wanted to leave. That would be a night to go to Palo or perhaps get food on the pool deck. Some of that looked quite inviting.

We loved the 1923 and it is our favorite of all the ships. Arendelle also was fabulous and the show was the best dinner show of its type (we most love the drawing night in Animators). There is a window wall at the back of the dining room that has a fantastic view before the shades are pulled.

It is a beautiful ship. I would not cancel.
Thank you so much!!! We really want to try it. So happy for a positive review!

I'm in a similar boat. ;) Due to working in a school I'm limited when I can travel. The Dream and Fantasy leave on a Saturday the week I am off in February, leaving me little room for error if I fly Friday night from the North East (we would most likely drive anyway due to cost of flights Friday night). So, our only option is really the Wish leaving Monday. I'm not very excited about it.

We spend most days on the adult deck, on the sides of Satellite Falls and never have trouble getting a chair. Then by late afternoon we go to the Cove Bar, or even Currents, and have no trouble getting seats at the bar. It looks like this may not be so easy on the Wish. Palo Brunch is a highlight of our trip too, and it seems that may be hard to get for Platinum guests. I'm also not thrilled about dinner shows yet, I usually enjoy the dinner experience, we have met some great servers over the years. I don't want to skip dinner. With that said, I have booked it. I figure we have to go and see for ourselves. We will end up on the Wish at some point, Im sure, so might as well do it.
This is kinda where we are as well. Please report back!

I think you need to look at why you booked the Wish in the first place. If all of those reasons are still valid don’t cancel.

Be careful with the reviews. Everyone has their own opinion. I read a number of negative things in various reviews that we just did not experience ourselves.

We had a great time on the Wish and have already booked another cruise.

I think you need to look at why you booked the Wish in the first place. If all of those reasons are still valid don’t cancel.

Be careful with the reviews. Everyone has their own opinion. I read a number of negative things in various reviews that we just did not experience ourselves.

We had a great time on the Wish and have already booked another cruise.
I’ve read a lot of reviews on the Wish, a lot of the initial things people were complaining about seem to have dropped off the complaints but the small and cramped adult area and lack of shade keeps cropping up.

I’m keeping my Wish res because I want to sail on the new ship and I’m just setting my expectations to low on the adult pool area.

Thank you so much!!! We really want to try it. So happy for a positive review!

Adding another mostly positive review for future adult-only cruisers, or those who may be considering. I just finished a 3 night cruise on the Wish with only an adult friend. It was my first time on DCL and her first cruise. Both of us had a great time and we would definitely do it again, although we agreed that we’d like to check out at least some of the other ships before returning to the Wish.

For the rotational dining, our table-mates were a couple that were also cruising with no kids, and most of the others that we talked to were also on ”adults only” trips. No one that we spoke with was having a bad experience or had any regrets about going, although a few past cruisers acknowledged that they preferred the adult areas (excluding the lounges) on the other ships.

To start off, we arrived at PC for our 11:30 PAT and we were in boarding group 8. The boarding process was efficient and we were having lunch before 1. Our room was actually ready when we were done with lunch, and while we had our pool things with us, it was nice to go back there and unpack a bit first. We had a extended family verandah cabin on the 9th floor bumpout. The room was quite comfortable and it offered plenty of space, especially since it was just the 2 of us there. I have no complaints about it whatsoever and I would have gladly spent more time there if I wasn’t so busy exploring other areas.

The biggest downside IMO was actually the rotational dining. We started with 1923, where the food and service was phenomenal, so that set the bar. The next night we went to the Worlds of Marvel. My friend and I are Marvel fans but we found the show, and the food, to be kind of lackluster. The couple across from us planned to stay onboard for a B2B trip and they said they’d be ordering room service on their next Marvel night f they couldn’t get reservations at Palo/Enchante. They went to Enchante on that trip and they spoke glowingly about their experience there. Arandelle fell in the middle of the pack, with the food being just fine and I also liked the show. It just didn’t quite rise to the level of 1923. Marceline Market was decent for breakfast and lunch, but I preferred exploring the lunch options at Festival of Foods and they definitely didn’t disappoint.

As for the entertainment, we went to Seas the Adventure, Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. We had the 8:15 dining rotation so we went to the shows at 6-6:30. We got there at the start time each time and we were able to get balcony seats without issue. We also went to the pirates party for about an hour. We picked out the Scallywags musicians as people from the other onboard entertainment areas and wow, they are all tremendously talented! We had already seen the onboard movies so we didn’t go to any of those and while the theaters may be smaller than those on the other ships, they didn’t look overly crowded whenever we popped in to take a peek (usually later at night).

Prior to the “main” shows starting, we were busy soaking up time in the adults-only pool area. Like others have said, it was crowded at times but it was tolerable, or even nice, at other times. A lot of people seemed to stay onboard during the Nassau day but the area seemed to clear out as people left to get ready for dinner. On future Wish cruises, I’d consider skipping the dining rotation for everything but 1923 and getting room service, a dinner reservation, or even going to Festival of Foods so that I could stay in that area during those times.

After dinner, we made it a point to go to all of the lounges/bars. The piano player (Alex Robinson) in Nightingale’s was great. The couples on our cruise also made “Match Your Mate” into a hilarious event and the karaoke was full of talented singers. Our bartender at Keg & Compass was lovely too. We did trivia there and at Luna, and we got seats about 10 min. beforehand each time, although I see how it could be over-crowded for some events. The Bayou is a nice atmosphere and while Hyperspace was a cool experience, I‘m not in a hurry to do it again. We went to the Rose at night but next time I’d go earlier so I could enjoy the views from up there.

One of the unexpected highlights for me was the spa. I happened to be in the area for the spa raffle on the first night so I threw my name in and I ended up winning a $150 voucher. I tried to combine that with a $50 birthday voucher that I received but they would only let me use one. I threw in some cash to splurge on a facial based on the recommendation of my dining table-mate, who had gotten one on the first day. It was worth every penny (maybe even without the voucher) but if I hadn’t gotten that, I would have gladly spent some time in the Rainforest Room because that looked equally amazing.

Interestingly enough, I posted photos of the cruise on social media throughout the trip but I never posted anything that would link the trip to Disney, at least to those who are unfamiliar with the Wish. When I got back, several people told me that the photos looked amazing and they were shocked to learn that it was a Disney cruise. The ship is nicely appointed all around so hopefully it doesn’t taint my opinion of the older ships too much!

Overall, I agree with the general sentiment that it’s possible to have a great time on an adults-only Wish cruise if you go into it with an open mind. The ship stands on its own and they all seem to have their pros and cons, so it ultimately depends on what you’re looking to get from your own experience.

Adding another mostly positive review for future adult-only cruisers, or those who may be considering. I just finished a 3 night cruise on the Wish with only an adult friend. It was my first time on DCL and her first cruise. Both of us had a great time and we would definitely do it again, although we agreed that we’d like to check out at least some of the other ships before returning to the Wish.

For the rotational dining, our table-mates were a couple that were also cruising with no kids, and most of the others that we talked to were also on ”adults only” trips. No one that we spoke with was having a bad experience or had any regrets about going, although a few past cruisers acknowledged that they preferred the adult areas (excluding the lounges) on the other ships.

To start off, we arrived at PC for our 11:30 PAT and we were in boarding group 8. The boarding process was efficient and we were having lunch before 1. Our room was actually ready when we were done with lunch, and while we had our pool things with us, it was nice to go back there and unpack a bit first. We had a extended family verandah cabin on the 9th floor bumpout. The room was quite comfortable and it offered plenty of space, especially since it was just the 2 of us there. I have no complaints about it whatsoever and I would have gladly spent more time there if I wasn’t so busy exploring other areas.

The biggest downside IMO was actually the rotational dining. We started with 1923, where the food and service was phenomenal, so that set the bar. The next night we went to the Worlds of Marvel. My friend and I are Marvel fans but we found the show, and the food, to be kind of lackluster. The couple across from us planned to stay onboard for a B2B trip and they said they’d be ordering room service on their next Marvel night f they couldn’t get reservations at Palo/Enchante. They went to Enchante on that trip and they spoke glowingly about their experience there. Arandelle fell in the middle of the pack, with the food being just fine and I also liked the show. It just didn’t quite rise to the level of 1923. Marceline Market was decent for breakfast and lunch, but I preferred exploring the lunch options at Festival of Foods and they definitely didn’t disappoint.

As for the entertainment, we went to Seas the Adventure, Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. We had the 8:15 dining rotation so we went to the shows at 6-6:30. We got there at the start time each time and we were able to get balcony seats without issue. We also went to the pirates party for about an hour. We picked out the Scallywags musicians as people from the other onboard entertainment areas and wow, they are all tremendously talented! We had already seen the onboard movies so we didn’t go to any of those and while the theaters may be smaller than those on the other ships, they didn’t look overly crowded whenever we popped in to take a peek (usually later at night).

Prior to the “main” shows starting, we were busy soaking up time in the adults-only pool area. Like others have said, it was crowded at times but it was tolerable, or even nice, at other times. A lot of people seemed to stay onboard during the Nassau day but the area seemed to clear out as people left to get ready for dinner. On future Wish cruises, I’d consider skipping the dining rotation for everything but 1923 and getting room service, a dinner reservation, or even going to Festival of Foods so that I could stay in that area during those times.

After dinner, we made it a point to go to all of the lounges/bars. The piano player (Alex Robinson) in Nightingale’s was great. The couples on our cruise also made “Match Your Mate” into a hilarious event and the karaoke was full of talented singers. Our bartender at Keg & Compass was lovely too. We did trivia there and at Luna, and we got seats about 10 min. beforehand each time, although I see how it could be over-crowded for some events. The Bayou is a nice atmosphere and while Hyperspace was a cool experience, I‘m not in a hurry to do it again. We went to the Rose at night but next time I’d go earlier so I could enjoy the views from up there.

One of the unexpected highlights for me was the spa. I happened to be in the area for the spa raffle on the first night so I threw my name in and I ended up winning a $150 voucher. I tried to combine that with a $50 birthday voucher that I received but they would only let me use one. I threw in some cash to splurge on a facial based on the recommendation of my dining table-mate, who had gotten one on the first day. It was worth every penny (maybe even without the voucher) but if I hadn’t gotten that, I would have gladly spent some time in the Rainforest Room because that looked equally amazing.

Interestingly enough, I posted photos of the cruise on social media throughout the trip but I never posted anything that would link the trip to Disney, at least to those who are unfamiliar with the Wish. When I got back, several people told me that the photos looked amazing and they were shocked to learn that it was a Disney cruise. The ship is nicely appointed all around so hopefully it doesn’t taint my opinion of the older ships too much!

Overall, I agree with the general sentiment that it’s possible to have a great time on an adults-only Wish cruise if you go into it with an open mind. The ship stands on its own and they all seem to have their pros and cons, so it ultimately depends on what you’re looking to get from your own experience.
I can't imagine skipping the main dining rooms. Many people do not know this, but you can order something from another restaurant if you truly can not find something that you like on the existing menu. They also always have just the standard items, chicken, steak, salmon, etc. Plus they always have some kind of Indian dish. I think some think that you are limited to exactly what is on the menu and that is not the case.

Oh your review here is extremely helpful! I have seen reviews on the Festival of Foods and can see us skipping the Marvel MDR to eat there. Good to know about the adult pool area thinning out before dinner. I am sure we can find some way to enjoy the adults areas. Great review of the bars! We usually try and see a first run movie on the ship, and definitely the shows so glad to see seating was available. Thank you so much!!

Thank you so much for this info!!!! I can definitely see us skipping Marvel MDR and eating at the Festival of Foods instead!

I can't imagine skipping the main dining rooms. Many people do not know this, but you can order something from another restaurant if you truly can not find something that you like on the existing menu. They also always have just the standard items, chicken, steak, salmon, etc. Plus they always have some kind of Indian dish. I think some think that you are limited to exactly what is on the menu and that is not the case.
Before experiencing Marvel, I could not imagine skipping a MDR. Now I would skip Marvel for sure. As for making a special request of food, the noise level would have prohibited asking the server for anything special. We are not familiar with the other restaurants on tthe Wish so would not know what to order. I am well familiar with the salmon, chicken and steak options as they are the same as the other ships.

I assume the noise level did not bother you when you ate in marvel, nor the constant talking on the screen. We do not eat meals to TV so this us difficult for us to converse and we could not hear the servers when they tried to talk to us, let alone hear each other.

We have decided that in future cruises on the WIsh we will do Palo, pool deck food (which looked quite good) or room service. If I miss the marvel experience I can turn the TV on full blast and eat in the room.

Thanks for posting this! Will definitely eat at Festival of Foods. We are on a 4 night cruise so need to squeeze in Paulo or Enchante.

I've read all the negative reviews on the Disney Wish as well. My family has had a back to back reservation made for the Wish since Platinum CC members could first book a cruise on her. I am taking these reviews with a grain of salt and will form my own opinion when we are on her in December.

My response for this question that comes up every time someone is concerned after reading all the negativity.
If I had cancelled every vacation because of the negative reviews I have read. I would have missed out on many wonderful family vacation memories!

Obviously there is no guarantee you will enjoy the Wish. For the very reasons you have read, or for others that you have found.
But if you do cancel this cruise for another ship. Any ship you choose as a replacement, you will find just as many negative reviews.

I've debated whether to post here because (1) haven't sailed yet (going in two weeks from now) and (2) I have kids. But I am also an adult and even if I didn't have kids I would still have booked the Wish. I am really looking forward to it for myself, totally separate from what my kids want.

We've been on 5 cruises on other disney ships and hardly ever use the adult only pool and deck areas. I like going to the scheduled activities indoors (trivia, bingo, crafts, music etc.) and when we do go out on the pool deck, I prefer to be able to see the funnel vision and watch a movie there (which is also why I don't mind the indoor movie theaters are smaller on the Wish). So I really couldn't care less that the adult pool is smaller and more crowded. I actually love that the extra family pools will mean I can now watch my funnel vision from a less crowded pool.

I recognize cove cafe is smaller, but I like that they have added specialty coffee to the main lobby area which is more convenient to me anyway because I prefer to book rooms on a lower floor. Again, YMMV and I can see how the location of the Cove would be inconvenient if you are used to booking a top floor and being right below it.

I also am just excited for something new. We've eaten the same food from the same menus so many times on our prior disney cruises, so excited for the new MDRs. I am looking forward to the new shows as well. If this was a first disney cruise, I don't think I would feel the premium price for the Wish was necessary, but since OP mentions booking this on another DCL cruise, I feel that it's fair to say there is some value to the newness/variety the Wish introduces.

I guess I will report back after my cruise!

I've debated whether to post here because (1) haven't sailed yet (going in two weeks from now) and (2) I have kids. But I am also an adult and even if I didn't have kids I would still have booked the Wish. I am really looking forward to it for myself, totally separate from what my kids want.

We've been on 5 cruises on other disney ships and hardly ever use the adult only pool and deck areas. I like going to the scheduled activities indoors (trivia, bingo, crafts, music etc.) and when we do go out on the pool deck, I prefer to be able to see the funnel vision and watch a movie there (which is also why I don't mind the indoor movie theaters are smaller on the Wish). So I really couldn't care less that the adult pool is smaller and more crowded. I actually love that the extra family pools will mean I can now watch my funnel vision from a less crowded pool.

I recognize cove cafe is smaller, but I like that they have added specialty coffee to the main lobby area which is more convenient to me anyway because I prefer to book rooms on a lower floor. Again, YMMV and I can see how the location of the Cove would be inconvenient if you are used to booking a top floor and being right below it.

I also am just excited for something new. We've eaten the same food from the same menus so many times on our prior disney cruises, so excited for the new MDRs. I am looking forward to the new shows as well. If this was a first disney cruise, I don't think I would feel the premium price for the Wish was necessary, but since OP mentions booking this on another DCL cruise, I feel that it's fair to say there is some value to the newness/variety the Wish introduces.

I think that the addition of the other coffee bars is great, especially for those that want some specialty coffee but are traveling with little ones. Now with 3 extra coffee locations, the waits will be much shorter also.

I agree with many of the things you stated. We just turned Gold and having sailed the other ships, want to try something new. We roll with a lot of things. If places are crowded, we move on to something else. We aren’t at the pool all day. We sleep in and just enjoy no schedule! I am sure we can find plenty of things to do. I appreciate your comments!

I think that the addition of the other coffee bars is great, especially for those that want some specialty coffee but are traveling with little ones. Now with 3 extra coffee locations, the waits will be much shorter also.
And this I did not know!

I’ve seen lots of mixed reviews on the Wish, but I am not interested in changing the family plans for next summer. Hopefully some of the issues not related to the ship’ design will be worked out by then.

An individual on another social media site was recently raving about the B2B she did with her husband on the Wish. They have booked again for next summer. She was raving about the couples massage in the Senses Spa suite they booked.

We booked this cruise while on another DCL cruise before any info was out about the Wish. Hearing all of the negativity about the adult areas, we are wondering if we should keep this cruise. It is for the last week in Sept 2023 so school will be in session. But will that effect the overcrowding at the adult areas? It is a 4 night cruise so we will be able to experience all of the rotational dining. But I am hearing the theaters are very small. Any comments from previous adult cruisers on the Wish would be appreciated!!
Just fininishing up a 3 day on the Wish. The adult area was really nice. The infinity pool in the back was fun to look out of. It did get crowded on Nassau day, but I was still able to find seating, and it was completely empty today on castaway day. If you were looking to splurge the rainforest room was really nice too, and the outdoor portion of it was quite nice as well. I found the food and entertainment to be top notch on the ship. It's definitely worth trying at least once.

Just fininishing up a 3 day on the Wish. The adult area was really nice. The infinity pool in the back was fun to look out of. It did get crowded on Nassau day, but I was still able to find seating, and it was completely empty today on castaway day. If you were looking to splurge the rainforest room was really nice too, and the outdoor portion of it was quite nice as well. I found the food and entertainment to be top notch on the ship. It's definitely worth trying at least once.
Since this will be our second 4 night cruise, we may just stay on the ship when docked at Castaway Cay to take advantage of the empty adults pool area. Thank you for that info!

The thing is we don't know what the sailing demographic for the Wish will be by that time. Perhaps it will not be as adult heavy and making the adult areas feel less congested due to that. On my 9/5 sailing there were 3070 total people and only 500 children were part of that 3070 total. There is no way Disney plans for an 84/16 split when building out an area but with that being said the area is smaller than other ships but the ship is gorgeous and the food is amazing.

The thing is we don't know what the sailing demographic for the Wish will be by that time. Perhaps it will not be as adult heavy and making the adult areas feel less congested due to that. On my 9/5 sailing there were 3070 total people and only 500 children were part of that 3070 total. There is no way Disney plans for an 84/16 split when building out an area but with that being said the area is smaller than other ships but the ship is gorgeous and the food is amazing.
Except they tried to do the same thing on the Dream and the area was too small. They learned from that and put Satellite Falls in on the Fantasy. Why make the adult area smaller than your other two ships that hold the same amount of people but the adult area is still full?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter