WISH - Disney Easter Eggs (warning: spoilers included)

Show me one racist or homophobic comment in this thread. Saying you value a good story way above the diversity quota being met for the cast is neither. I want great winning content from Disney, I don’t care about anyone’s ethnicity or bedroom preferences…….those are their business not mine.

Seriously, why can't we have 1 thread were we can talk about the quality of a movie that doesn't end up with ppl blaming politics, saying that only money matters and/or making racist/homophobic comments???
Especially since the film in question has absolutely 0 aspects that could be interpreted as political. Unless a king refusing to grant wishes for selfish reasons counts??

If you don't think a diverse cast is a bad thing, then why are you always bringing up as downfall for these movies. I mean, you are right - it shouldn't matter, but it apparently does to you. The story is independent of the casting, etc. Wish is in fact a very good movie - maybe not Renaissance-era great, but it's enjoyable for sure. In fact, it does all the things that you are always saying they need to do - get back to the roots, etc. They did that in spades. The story may as well have been written in 1958! Maybe that's what audiences are not responding to, though that flies in the face of what you are usually in favor of.
I do not think it matters at all except it appears it gets put before telling a good story often. When Ghostbusters 2016 came out it was front and center that the casting choices were important and groundbreaking. They forgot to make a good movie though and it failed to meet fan expectations. Get the story right period!

Black panther had more of a minority cast than any marvel movie ever and it did great right? Why? It had a great story that the audience wanted to watch right?

I do not think it matters at all except it appears it gets put before telling a good story often. When Ghostbusters 2016 came out it was front and center that the casting choices were important and groundbreaking. They forgot to make a good movie though and it failed to meet fan expectations. Get the story right period!

Black panther had more of a minority cast than any marvel movie ever and it did great right? Why? It had a great story that the audience wanted to watch right?

But do you think that GB 2016 would have been better if they had cast differently? Chances are it would have been the same. Your perception is that they are spending resources on diversity that are somehow taken away from story, but one doesn't really have anything to do with the other.

On top of that, a "good story" does not necessarily mean strong performance. I really hate to tell you this, but GB 2016 made more than Afterlife. Not by a ton mind you, but it still did. Both weren't exactly considered to be big hits.

But do you think that GB 2016 would have been better if they had cast differently? Chances are it would have been the same. Your perception is that they are spending resources on diversity that are somehow taken away from story, but one doesn't really have anything to do with the other.

On top of that, a "good story" does not necessarily mean strong performance. I really hate to tell you this, but GB 2016 made more than Afterlife. Not by a ton mind you, but it still did. Both weren't exactly considered to be big hits.
please tell me you understand how box office returns work.

Ghostbusters Afterlife = $204.4M box office minus $75M budget. So if you assume 50% box office return the movie made approximately $27.2 M not including marketing.

Ghostbusters 2016 = $229.1M box office minus $144M budget. So if you assume 50% box office return the movie lost $29.5 M not including marketing.

One was a financial success and one cost the studio money.

Come on man, I know you are way too intelligent a dude to miss that with your “made more” comment.

please tell me you understand how box office returns work.

Ghostbusters Afterlife = $204.4M box office minus $75M budget. So if you assume 50% box office return the movie made approximately $27.2 M not including marketing.

Ghostbusters 2016 = $229.1M box office minus $144M budget. So if you assume 50% box office return the movie lost $29.5 M not including marketing.

One was a financial success and one cost the studio money.

Come on man, I know you are way too intelligent a dude to miss that.

Yeah, but you keep on saying that a "good story" will drive people to the theaters. Afterlife has a good story. People did not show up. Neither movie was considered a big hit at $200M and change. Yes, Afterlife managed it's finances better, but that's irrelevant to the "good story" will make a movie popular. MORE people still paid to see GB2016!

Well afterlife did have to overcome all the bad vibes that 2016 created by ticking off so many of the fans. My box office money is in both by the way.

Tell you what give me $144 M today and I will give you back $115 M next week, that a deal?

Last edited:
I guess I am confused on this good story narrative. Raya and the last Dragon, Encanto, Soul, Luca, Turning Red all had good stories. Come to think of it what animated movie had a bad story. You keep stating the most overused buzz words but are not actually providing anything constructive to the discussion.

I have not seen Wish but really that was the first movie that was the first animated movie by Pixar or WDAS that was received in a more negative light and it is the first movie, by your standards, that has no offensive materials within it. Every other animation was either highly receive or mixed.

I guess I am confused on this good story narrative. Raya and the last Dragon, Encanto, Soul, Luca, Turning Red all had good stories. Come to think of it what animated movie had a bad story. You keep stating the most overused buzz words but are not actually providing anything constructive to the discussion.

I have not seen Wish but really that was the first movie that was the first animated movie by Pixar or WDAS that was received in a more negative light and it is the first movie, by your standards, that has no offensive materials within it. Every other animation was either highly receive or mixed.
The story in Wish wasn't bad but rather it was boring and derivative of Disney movies that came before it. Whether you think that's bad is a whole other discussion.

I've seen movies way worse than Wish so I don't think it's too terrible.

It's also incredibly subjective. To me, Wish has a good story, to others it doesn't. To others, Quentin Tarantino movies have good stories, to me they don't (with few exceptions). It's all about personal taste.

Even movies that are generally considered "bad" have ppl that like them.

I agree that what you and I think is a good story is very subjective. For example I think The Big Lebowski is a great movie / story and it bombed at the box office. It has a cult following on the secondary market, but it was certainly a box office flop.

But if Disney is winning at the box office is not subjective. They have had a record number of flops this year. They have added 5-6 of the top 10 financial flops of all time in the last 15 months or so. That has been for a variety of reasons, with streaming being one, inflated production budgets being another, losing the good will of their past customer base being another.

I want Disney to pivot and make great content for the largest possible audience. That’s their way to win again in my opinion. Go hire the best directors and actors on planet earth with zero regard to what marginalized group they belong to. Hire really smart people and get the heck out of their way and allow them to make box office magic again.

Last edited:
I think there is no doubt that Disney is struggling at the box office.

This is well said:
I agree that what you and I think is a good story is very subjective. But if Disney is winning at the box office is not subjective. They have had a record number of flops this year. That has been for a variety of reason, with streaming being one, inflated production budgets being another, losing the good will of their past customers being another.

I want Disney to pivot and make great content for the largest possible audience.

I don’t think their content has necessarily been bad or made for a small audience though. They just haven’t made anything stellar. Something you have to see at the theater because you don’t want to miss out. Something that has a song not only stuck in your head but everyone’s head. A movie that has that “it” factor. They need to find that to have success again in the movie theater. That will transcend any of the highlighted reasons that are given for “why” some of these movies are disappointing. Disney studios have to go back, rethink their hiring processes when it comes to all aspects of the movie making process (because something is not working).

I don’t think their content has necessarily been bad or made for a small audience though. They just haven’t made anything stellar. Something you have to see at the theater because you don’t want to miss out. Something that has a song not only stuck in your head but everyone’s head. A movie that has that “it” factor. They need to find that to have success again in the movie theater. That will transcend any of the highlighted reasons that are given for “why” some of these movies are disappointing. Disney studios have to go back, rethink their hiring processes when it comes to all aspects of the movie making process (because something is not working).
Fully agree with you.

I do wonder how much of the creative process is hindered by studio interference. Like having a married couple being the villains was something new they could have a lot of fun with. The Star boy could have been interesting, maybe some Stardust vibes :D

How many creative ideas were shut down because the studio bosses wanted to go in a different direction / play it safe?

I think FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) is a legitimate reason people go to the movies. Top Gun’s word of mouth was so good everyone was talking about it and that drove others to go. Heck the sale of aviation style sunglasses started peaking again partly due to that movie’s popularity.

Teenagers and women around us dressed up to go see Barbie, it was as an event. There was certainly FOMO in the Barbie movie.

Super Mario Bros had some of this as well, with really good audience reviews and word of mouth.

Disney has just not had many event type movies that drive FOMO and for a huge variety of reasons. I would argue more talented creatives are the biggest issue. Running John Lassiter off has had a very obvious effect on the quality of Pixar offerings.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread.

Disney's Wish became available for streaming on Disney + on April 3. In the first five days, it received 13.2 million views, making it the third most viewed streaming premiere for Walt Disney Animation

Now that many more people have watched it, what hidden references, or Easter eggs, did you find?

Note: Please create a separate thread if you want to debate the merit of the movie. Thank you! :hyper2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter