Wisteria- Good, Bad or Ugly?

Helopoh

<font color=3300FF>Who me jump??<br><font color=FF
I am considering planting some Wisteria on one real empty side of my house. Is it hard to grow and is it hard to maintain? Does anyone have any and can they tell me what to expect or if I should just forget it all together? I have been reading about it but I really want someone who has some to tell me what they are dealing with. Seed and Garden suppliers just don't seem to be a good source since they really want you to buy the stuff...LOL

I have never grown wisteria. I find it to be one of the most beautiful climbing plants around, though. My understanding is that it can be tempermental.....not blooming for years for no apparent reason. However, if you find a place that it likes, you'll have an abundance of beauty for many, many years.

I wish I could be of more help.

BTW.....HELLO, Helopoh!

I put in three "trees" in the fall...I agree with Gina...i love them and am not sure what luck I am going to have.

I have heard not to put them close to the house because they have very strong vines which could destroy stuff.

We had (still have) wisteria. It has been a nightmare for us. I think if you really keep it confined to the place you want it, it would be fine. We did not do this and it went everywhere. It went up a tree and killed it. It has grown up under our house and everywhere in our yard. We found the original hole and have dug it out. Put chemicals in it and have really tried everything we can think of. We are now cutting it back everytime we see a sign of it. It is beautiful, but if you don't have the time to keep it under control, I wouldn't suggest it. IMHO.

Tammy

I have also read about it being hard to control if you let it go. I really think it is one of my favorite plants that I would love to have in my garden given the conditions are right for growing it. I have seen some beautiful pictures of it and love the stencils I have also seen of it. I might actually just paint(stencil) a mural of it someplace and call it a day and when I can get some resources about it and see if where I want it will be the best place. I was thinking about pretty far away from the house and maybe on an arbor. I am just not sure...

HELLO.....Gina Nice to see ya!!!!!

Hi jimmytammy, Welcome to the Flower & Garden board! :) Sorry to hear about your mutant ;) wisteria, but I hope you'll come back and tell us a bit more about your garden. :)

Helopoh, my Mother has wisteria growing on a privacy screen. She's had it for approx. 10 years, does NOTHING to it, and it seems happy as can be. The only problem is it was planted incorrectly, and blooms were the sun is, on the WRONG side of the privacy screen! :rolleyes: :) No one bothered to move it, and it will probably stay where it is.

Here's a (not very good), pic of it.
wisteria2.jpg

That is a wonferful picture of wisteria. I think it looks wonderful and I can't wait for spring now more than ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter