WONDERful Mexican Rivera Trip Jan 8-15, 2012

suzanneaz

Mouseketeer
Since I loved reading trip reports I thought I would write one too....

Our family

My mom saw an ad in the newspaper for Kids Sail Free right before Thanksgiving so she booked the trip for me and my girls. She also invited my sister and nephew but my sister gets sea sick so she declined. Mom will take them to WDW when nephew is a little older. Mom didn't think my dad would enjoy the trip so it was a girls trip. Thus, my husband didn't have to take time off work.

My mom, GM, is a talented quilter. She hates to make clothes but can do it. Dad bought her a Disney embroidery machine for Christmas and she has never used a new machine so much in the first 3 weeks. She made us all matching Cinderella t-shirts that we bought in neon yellow. She hated the color but it was the only color that had all our sizes. She also made us all matching Minnie Mouse pirate costumes. Mom has always been outgoing and ready to get out and do things. We have a lot of fun together.

Me, a stay at home mom who did the research to be “in the know” for this trip. I created a lot of the sewing projects for mom. I liked the neon yellow shirts and promised they would be great for us to not lose the kids in Mexico.

DD5, my first princess. She is sweet, well mannered, follows all the rules and is happy. Everyone would have tons of kids if they were all like her.

DD3, my little princess. She is outgoing, sweet and determined. She is quickly learning to take turns and stand in line. She can be equally sweet when she wants. She is darling and is growing up a lot in the past year.

Pre-Cruise

I spent a ton of time reading trip reports, looking for tips and ideas on the disboards. I found a lot of wonderful information that made our trip more special. I was fortunate enough to get in our FE group. FE stands for “Fish Extender”. You join the group on the disboards and then bring gifts for everyone in your group on the cruise. We had 16 cabins (including ours) participating with about 60 people. I spent about $150 on gifts. I had 2 separate family gifts and a gift for each child (Disney watch for most the kids, make-up for the older girls, light up bouncy balls for the very young kids). I felt really good about our gifts. Mom and I spent most of one day making the FE holder.

We found out the nights of Formal (2nd), Pirate (5th) and Semi-Formal (6th) so I requested dining rotation PTTAPTA. We were able to get into the early dining thanks to the pre-cruise concierge service. I also convinced GM to make us matching pirate costumes. I can't wait for pirate night!!

We had requested whale watching but could only get a ticket for GM. We were happy for my mom to go and decided it may be better for the girls not to go. Concierge called me the day before we sailed and told me they had booked all of us for whale watching. Very exciting! They had also gotten us Palo reservations for night 4.

My girls love the princesses but don't like to wear the fancy princess dresses because they are itchy and uncomfortable. On our 10th anniversary we ended up taking them to dinner with us and then shopping at the Disney Store. I realize some people take trips to Hawaii or cruises but we went to the Disney store with our princesses. I was hoping they would get t-shirts but instead they fell in love with the satin Cinderella nightgowns. So that ended up being my anniversary present....ok I got a sapphire ring too so don't feel too bad for me. Anyway, they have loved these princess dresses enough that we bought them Rapunzel ones for Halloween. When I found out we were going on a Disney cruise, I went crazy and also bought them Belle, Cinderella's wedding dress, Ariel and Snow White. My husband told me to use restraint so I didn't buy the pink one with all the princesses or Tinkerbelle. Such restraint took a lot of willpower on my part but hey I didn't want to go overboard. I packed all of them for the trip.

So we only told the girls we were taking a Disney cruise when we arrived at the airport. They only figured out we were going to the airport last night as they eavesdropped on my conversation with GM. Hey, we kept it a secret for a long time and it was really tough not to tell them. So they were excited but didn't really know what to expect.

We flew into LAX from PHX. It is an hour flight and we took the earliest flight in case there was a problem. We happened to sit next to Vicki who was in our FE group. We waited for about an hour for the DCL bus and then watched the cruise video on the bus to the pier. I had a lot of great information from the boards so I knew to sort-of hang out in front of the kids club line and look for the characters. We were first in line to get the kids club bands and hit all the lines right. We were concierge so we had a Boarding Card #1. We first saw Goofy in the port lobby. We went to sit in the Concierge lobby which was pretty empty. It may have been more fun to sit with everyone else who was excited for the trip. We saw the family of the day getting ready to board and then GM went to see what character was out for pictures. It was Pluto so we got in line. They were already on board group 2 by the time we took the picture and went to board. So look for the characters to change if you arrive at the port early.

The girls brought their light up suitcases that Santa had given them for Christmas. They loved them and we received a lot of complements on them. They were very proud to have their own suitcases to roll around everywhere.

We boarded and they asked our family name. I knew this was coming so I had them say our girls names. Guest servcies didn't have a line so we stopped there to get tickets to the Disney Friends Tea Party. We then went to Parrot Cay (pronounced “Key”) for lunch. It was a nice buffet with shrimp, cheese, salad bar and carved beef. The girls had eaten the sandwiches GM brought in the port terminal so they weren't very hungry. There was a kids buffet line but they were happy to have ice cream. I most enjoyed the shrimp and salad. The beef from the carving station was good too.

After lunch we found the Cadillac Lounge for the Concierge reception. We met Mike who sat down to chat with us about the cruise. I had typed a list of my goals which I gave him a copy to review. This was extremely helpful because I was so excited I know I would have forgotten a lot of the things I wanted to tell him. He confirmed that they were able to book all of us on a whale watching tour and gave us tickets to our excursions.

We then took the kids to the Oceaneers Club for Open House so they could check it out. They loved it!! DD3 loved the tree house with the slide. DD5 quickly found the dress up chest, put on a Cinderella dress and started watching TV. I had their swimsuits in my carry on but it seemed a little cool outside to swim. We were pretty busy and didn't have much time to explore the ship beyond the kids club. That was fine as the girls were having a blast in the club.

We went to our room a little after 2pm. WOW!!! It was gorgeous and huge!!! It was a handicap accessible 1-bedroom suite, 8600. It had a long hallway, 2 full baths, a sitting room with pullout couch, separate bedroom with a walk-in closet and bathroom. Since HA , no tub but it did have the removable shower head which was fabulous to wash the little girls hair. I liked it so much I think I will be replacing my shower head at home. In the sitting room was built in shelves with books, a turtle sculpture, a fish sculpture, antique cameras and other decorations. There was a tv and dvd player with a 4 page list of movies we could borrow. We picked Tangled since it is DD3s favorite and our copy at home doesn't play anymore.

Our balcony was huge and had two “hidden balconies” which are under the “bubble out” from the 9th deck next to Beach Blanket Buffet. They were covered so we could stand out on them if it happened to rain. It was very nice to have a balcony with covered and uncovered areas. We were able to put 2 sun chairs on them in addition to the 2 chairs and small table that were there. The only downside of the balcony, which was curved to around the back of the ship was that the bottom was steel and you could not see out when sitting down. Perfect for standing or laying out in the sun but sitting was really only good for reading. The room had a better view when sitting. Speaking of sitting there was a table where the girls could color and we could eat. It was next to the wet bar with a dark green marble top. There was tons of space. Mom had a cot put in the room and there was still space. There are so many cabinets and drawers that we didn't bring enough stuff to fill them all even though we completely unpacked. There was plenty of space for the 4 of us. GM commented that she thought it was bigger than their first apartment after my parents got married. Honestly, we didn't need that much space but it was really nice.

We relaxed in the room a little while and then went to our FE meet up. It was nice to put a face with a name. It was super crowded and we didn't get to meet everyone. We did order the drink of the day, ta Bahama Mama which they described as tastes like a Mai Tai but has more alcohol. The girls were a bit overwhelmed and hungry since they didn't eat much lunch so we went back to the room. A fruit bowl had been delivered from the Concierge and they loved it. My girls love fruit. The girls colored, played with their Leappads from Santa and started a journal with GM.

We went to the muster drill and found Cari from our FE. She is blind and brought her guide dog, Denver, and best friend Julie. We sat with them and when they left a few minutes early we followed. This extra few minutes let us easily get on an elevator and we were front and center for the Sail Away party. It was LOUD being in the very front but super fun. GM stayed closer to the back as she sat down on the bench when we arrived. She could see really well standing on the bench without blocking anyone. They handed out mini pom poms to the kids which my girls loved. The show was high energy and a lot of fun. DD5 got a little tired of the show so I told her she could sit on the edge of the stage. DD3 wanted to run out onto the stage and I had to keep holding her back.

Once the show part was over they continued the music and dancing. We immediately left to go downstairs to see Mickey. He took a little time but we were 2nd in line. It was all very exciting and wonderful fun.

Dinner was at Parrot Cay and since our bags hadn't all been delivered we went straight to the restaurant. We sat down and met our servers, Maria and Teody. They were super nice and cut the girls food. The girls started with watermelon and DD3 feel asleep on my lap before our food arrived. Maria cut her food and tried to feed her but she only took one bite. She slept on my lap so Maria cut up my dinner :) DD5 ordered the pizza and it was awful so we reordered the chicken strips which were much better. I ordered the mixed grill which was fabulous. The tuna appetizer was very spicy but tasted ok and the crab dip was ok. Dessert, crème brulee cheesecake wasn't worth the calories so I only took a few small bites.

The little sister was still asleep and big sister was tired so we went back to the room. My mom goes to bed around 8pm also so we were done for the night. This would be a recurring theme...early to bed, early to rise.

So happy to see another MR trip report! We're also from Phoenix, sailing in March. I hope you'll be posting pictures of your matching shirts and pirate outfits!

P.S. My daughters also love those silky "dress-up" nightgowns!

Great start! Any chance you can post the navigators? There don't seem to be any recent ones online. Thanks!

Thanks for writing a trip report! Loving it so far! How was your concierge host? We are on the boat in 2 months in a one bedroom also, and had heard both good and bad things.

Thank you for taking the time to write your TR. Looking forward to your next instalment. :flower3:

:laundy:

So glad you are writing a trip report! Keep writing I am enjoying reading! I sent you a private message could you check it?

Thanks for the encouragement...I have been busy sorting through the 1100+ pictures I took. Next I will have to look at GM pictures. Need to also think about unpacking too. I think pictures add a lot to the reports so I will add some :)

Thanks for writing a trip report! Loving it so far! How was your concierge host? We are on the boat in 2 months in a one bedroom also, and had heard both good and bad things.

Our Concierge host was Mike and we thought he was great. His contract is up in 3 weeks so he will not be there when you cruise. Todd was the other host and he was nice as well. We felt well taken care of. They did tell us we couldn't order Palo dessert to our suite. I guess someone previously posted that they had gotten Palo to their suite (not a royal suite) but I just wanted dessert and was still told no. I had read a bad report on Mike but now find it completely inaccurate. I only have good things to say about the service.

The best thing I did for Concierge was bring a list of my goals to review. It made the initial greeting session easy. I had stopped by guest services to get tickets for the tea party and Mike reprinted my tickets. The concierge reception was wonderful with a character (it changes weekly). We lucked out and got Daisy. Our 1-bed room suite was huge and fabulous. I had dreamed of one day having a royal suite but this room was big enough for us with tons of drawers and closet space. It took a long time when we were packing to check everywhere to make sure the kids hadn't hidden things.

In a suite you were able to get movies. We loved this. I got Tangled the first night and was glad I did. All the princess movies were gone by the 2nd day and you can keep them as long as you wish. You can have up to 3 movies. I suggest getting them early if you want something.

The robes in the suites are fabulous!! Super soft.

Great report! We are leaving this Sunday on the Wonder...any last minute advice for us? We are first time cruisers, non-concierge (I wish!) :)

Day 2 – At sea

The girls woke up before 6am and were thrilled to watch the movie, Tangled. It is DD3's favorite. I picked up some fruit and yogurt from Goofy's Galley. I then went and got myself breakfast – a big serving of smoked salmon with capers, onion and lemons, yum! I also saw the omelet station and he had some bacon so he made me a bacon and cheese omelet which was wonderful. I grabbed donuts for the girls and myself...yes they are Krispy Kreme and ate in the room. GM ate her breakfast upstairs at Beach Blanket Buffet (BBB).

Yesterday during our initial meeting, I requested Mike change our character breakfast since I didn't want the girls to be too tired to enjoy it as I thought it was the morning after the pirate party. After dinner we had a message from Mike that the restaurant manager was able to get us into the 9:45am character breakfast today. Since the girls were up we let them eat breakfast as they would never make it to 10am for breakfast. Also on my goal list was go to scrapbooking. Darn if the scrapbooking event wasn't at 9:30 this morning. I called Mike and told him that I had wanted to do scrapbooking but it conflicted with our new breakfast. No worries says Concierge Mike, he will set us with scrapbook supplies. I had read a bad review about Mike so I wasn't sure what to expect. So we dropped by the scrapbook event, picked up the two free sheets of paper and bought 2 books and 2 paper packs. (As a side note, I buy 2 of everything for my girls. I dress them matching a lot too). The supplies were Mexican Rivera 2011 thus they were half price so we were glad we stopped by.

The restaurant manager was expecting us at breakfast thanks to Mike. They found us a nice table on the isle. We weren't hungry so we didn't order anything to eat. The girls were really antsy and were having a hard time waiting for the characters so we ordered them Mickey waffles. This helped a lot as it gave them something to do. The character breakfast takes about an hour so we left a little early to get the girls up to the club for Do-si-Do with Snow White. Since we were going to the character breakfast, I decided to let the girls choose which princess dress they wanted to wear. DD5 wanted Cinderella and DD3 wanted Belle. I decided it is their vacation too and let them wear what they wanted.

We picked the girls up for lunch and went up to the pool deck for burgers and hot dogs. The food was quick and easy and much like Disneyland park food – not bad but ok. It was a fun environment – music playing, kids swimming, people happy to be on the Disney Wonder as we sailed to Mexico.

We took the girls back to the club. Mom and I decided to go back to the room. Concierge had left us a cheese plate so I opened a bottle of wine. (Since we flew in day of I didn't pack any wine to carry onboard but one of our FE friends had brought a lot and was sea sick so she gave me 3 bottles. I gave her our cans of Sprite and several bottles of water. We both happy with what we got but I can't help but think I got a much better deal. Thanks laalac!!) I enjoyed the cheese and wine on the balcony and it was wonderful. I even sat down long enough to read 10 pages of my book but then couldn't stand not being able to see the ocean so I put the book away and stood up to enjoy the view. GM took a nap. In hindsight, maybe I should have let the girls have lunch in the club. However it was fun to have lunch on the deck together.

A note about the kids club. DD3 loved it to the point that if she saw me coming to get her she would run the other way. More than once I had to drag her out of the club...literally carry her crying out of there. She loved it. DD5 loved it too but not as much. She was happy to see us and was ready to go when we picked her up.

We picked up the girls to see Chip and Dale, Pluto and Goofy before the 2pm show of the Golden Mickeys. My mom has always been a morning person and goes to bed about the same time as the girls. Since the girls were so tired at dinner it was perfect to see the afternoon show while they could enjoy it. Mike met us in the Cadillac Lounge to take us through the cast members (CM) walkway which put us at the bottom of the theater. We were in the 3rd row center for the show – perfect seats. The show was all you would hope for and expect from Disney. It was fabulous! We all loved it. After the show, we went into the shops. We are a family that loves a good gift shop. My girls have learned this. I am always surprised by the things you can find in a gift shop. Such treasures. This is where I discovered the mystery puzzle pins....more on this later.

At 4 I took the girls to Story Time with Belle which was during open house so I could stay and watch. Belle wore her blue dress and “read” her story of Beauty and the Beast. The girls listened intently. Belle was wonderful and sh was very animated in telling the story. I enjoyed it as much as the girls. They then did parachute games in the club which the girls both participated. DD3 loves the slide. DD5 loves watching the movies – today they were showing the Lion King. She calls it the King Lion – so cute. We haven't really ever sat down to watch the whole movie but somehow she still knows about it.

GM stood in line to see Minnie who was wearing a gorgeous gold dress while we were in the club. It was super helpful to split up even though I felt like mom would have liked our activities. They had free Bahama Mamas at the Captain's Welcome Reception so I took one to GM and had one as well. DD3 loved having her own fruit punch like looked like a Bahama Mama. She will be my little party girl. Mom went into dinner and I took the girls to see Captain Fabian. DD3 looked at him and announced “Your not Chip & Dale” who they had seen earlier in the lobby. Hilarious! He must hear it all.

As I am writing this and looking at pictures I noticed that we also saw Lilo and Stitch (none of us have seen this movie). It is overstating the obvious but we were on the go all day and had a ton of fun? The girls were much more alert at dinner tonight. We ate in Tritons which is a nicer restaurant than Parrot Cay because it is not as noisy. We were dressed up but not everyone was. I had a lady come ask me why everyone was dressed up...apparently she had no idea it was formal night. I can totally understand that it was written in tiny print on the front of the navigator. The girls are enjoying the wonderful service in the restaurants and have been very well behaved at dinner. The show was good enough to see again but 8:30 start was too late for us so we went back to the room. The girls were thrilled to find FE gifts and a towel animal on the bed. We hung out in the room the rest of the night.

I was surprised that the navigators come pretty late at night – like after 9pm. Since we were up so early we also were going to bed early.

Oh, we came back after dinner and Mike had left the scrapbooking supplies. Wow he really set us up!! He brought 2 beautiful scrapbooks, 2012 page kits, character tags and some other goodies. We were blown away by his generosity. It was very nice and a total perk of being in concierge. Thrilled is the only way to describe it. Mike is wonderful!!!!

Great report! We are leaving this Sunday on the Wonder...any last minute advice for us? We are first time cruisers, non-concierge (I wish!) :)

Bring a hairdryer!! Go to all the shows!! Don't worry too much about a Palo ressie, you should be able to make them on the ship if you go as soon as possible to make a reservation. We cancelled our reservation so I can't tell you about it. Take a glass bottom boat in Cabo. Pick a couple things that you really want to do and then consider everything else a bonus. Be prepared to stand in line for the characters, especially the princesses. Set your expectations pretty low for the food. There are things that are amazing like the mixed grill but it is not constant 5 star dining. Order as much as you want and enjoy. The desserts are just ok and sound better than they taste. when you do find something really good you will be thrilled as opposed to disappointed consistently in the food. It was warm in Mexico but cool several times on the ship, both on the deck and inside. Be sure to bring long sleeves and a jacket just in case. Bring plenty of $1s, $5s and $10s. If you order soda from room service they will charge you so go to the beverage station on deck 9. Have a great time!!!

I can't figure out how to post pictures...I searched FAQ and read how to do it and then couldn't find where to add an album on my page. Sorry that means no pictures...yet.

Thank you for the advice! :)

When I posted pictures here, I ended up going to photobucket, putting my pics on there, then adding them in one at a time to this site with the "img" button at the top of the posts. I have no idea how to do it the other way--I'm sure there are people on the board who know and can help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter