Worthwhile Indulgences

ANZ PE..best money we have spent..so much better than VA

Concierge upgrade on Disney cruise...waste of money, could have used that $1600 for other things.

great to hear ANZ are increasing flights...& I do enjoy the Auckland terminal 1Km dash...gets the blood pumping before a long flight:thumbsup2

I wish we could have some footage of that 1km dash :lmao:, with your bright carry on suitcase dragging behind you :rotfl2:

It amuses me to see that, by what I read on these boards, they are doing so well on the ex Australia market to the U.S. On one hand I am pleased for Air NZ but on the other hand, it's worrying because, if the planes fill up with ex-Australia fares, the fares for Kiwis, who pay a premium to fly direct anyway, will go up!:scared1:

My thoughts exactly! I'm quite surprised to hear that Air NZ is one of the cheapest options from Aus, as more often than not it's one of the most expensive from NZ. Airlines such as Virgin and Air Pacific often price up cheaper.
I read a Herald article a few months back that said Brits flying LHR - AKL - LHR are often paying thousands less than kiwis flying AKL-LHR- AKL. It does bug me quite a bit when I hear that us kiwis are paying a premium to fly our own airline.

As with most others, I have always looked at Premium Economy as a possibility, but then multiplied x 4 people, and I just can't justify the expense for 14 hours. I always think that the extra $4000 can pay for 5 star hotel, where I really enjoy myself, so maybe one day with frequent flyer points!

I agree. It's a tough one to justify.
A bit of extra comfort for 14 hours equates to roughly the same price as a week long cruise, a mammoth shopping spree or even a cheap car.

Who knows? Maybe one day?

We have stayed at one of the Disney hotels each time we've been to Disneyland - our first trip I was looking at the other hotels but my husband said, we're paying so much for airfares and travelling so far, we may as well stay at the Disneyland Hotel (he tends to be far less stingy than me too!) - and since then I've stayed at all 3. So now I'm spoilt and would always stay at one.

Fantasmic dessert package at Disneyland - yes to this too. Fantasmic was a complete zoo on our September trip - people camped out on the ground 3-4 hours ahead, in really hot humid weather. My kids and husband thought they were pretty special in their seats with the dessert boxes and drink waiter (and would have driven me mental with the whingeing and complaining had we tried to watch the show the normal way).

We did concierge at Paradise Pier this trip and I'd indulge in that again. It was convenient to have breakfast at hand and my husband loved 'beer o'clock'.

Also we indulged in the theme park view room at PPH and I'd do that again too, it was fantastic.

We usually have 1 big meal per day, usually dinner but sometimes lunch.

Character meals - the kids love them and it's an easy way to meet characters (especially our last trip when there were heavy crowds and lineups for most meet and greets).

And ONE day - we will go premium economy!! I've said we will try and save the extra for our next planned trip in 3 years.

Things I wouldn't indulge in again - World of Color meal - you still have to line up and stand up for ages.

Other holidays - the last 3 years we've gone to the Sunshine Coast - husband has driven up and back while I have flown with the kids, so we don't have to hire a car, and we avoid the long car trip with 3 kids. Well worth the $800 I think.

We haven't gone to the snow in ages, but when we were childless we did both staying at Thredbo and staying elsewhere (Cooma, Jindabyne) - staying at Thredbo definitely beats anywhere else (too bad it's so expensive).

Other holidays - the last 3 years we've gone to the Sunshine Coast - husband has driven up and back while I have flown with the kids, so we don't have to hire a car, and we avoid the long car trip with 3 kids. Well worth the $800 I think.

Gee, you drew the short straw there! :rotfl: (That would be a long drive!)

When a flight is first loaded into the system (for eg Air NZ AKLLAX 14 October 2013 was loaded this morning), the flight is normally loaded with the full range of booking classes for the long-term airfares. These are the airfares that are available year round. There are a certain amount of seats sold at each fare level and ,as a booking class sells out, the next fare up becomes the lowest available etc. Then, at certain times throughout the next 11 months until that flight, the airline may release seats at extra booking classes that are valid for short-life special fare bookings. This is what we cannot predict even though there are some pretty sure bets such as Earlybird fares to UK/Europe on sale the October/November the year before (i.e. we are selling now for 2013 travel). Air NZ also normally does a New Year worldwide sale too. However the rest of the specials are all mainly based on either a mission to boost loadings or as a response to a competitor's special. So very hard to predict, unless you have the ear of an airline insider, and of course Franrose, I'm not familiar with the ex-Australia market.

There are certain times of the year when you can be sure no special fare will be released such as at Christmas. Since we are departing for Hawaii on 29th December, I knew that there would be no lower fare than the lowest longterm fare available for sale with the fight was first loaded. So, as a result, I booked our seats the moment the flights were loaded onto the system and sure we paid a pretty high fare but you should see them now!!!! :rotfl2:

I just priced up BNE-AKL-LAX return, leaving BNE 2 Dec and returning 31 Dec, 2012 (this year). Four seats, including one sky couch: $6400. No skycouch, just on $6000. That sounds so good to me considering anything I've tried to price up on Virgin for next year (to get an idea) was $9000!

If I try and book my 2013 2 December flight on the 2nd of December this year, would that be about the cheapest I'd get it TM?

Gee, you drew the short straw there! :rotfl: (That would be a long drive!)

I just priced up BNE-AKL-LAX return, leaving BNE 2 Dec and returning 31 Dec, 2012 (this year). Four seats, including one sky couch: $6400. No skycouch, just on $6000. That sounds so good to me considering anything I've tried to price up on Virgin for next year (to get an idea) was $9000!

If I try and book my 2013 2 December flight on the 2nd of December this year, would that be about the cheapest I'd get it TM?

Franrose, in case you're interested, I just priced up those date too for AKL/LAX return, and it seems, even with the conversion rate, you guys over in Aus are getting the better deal. Not by too much though - the difference is about $200.

I also noticed that flights home on the 30th were quite a bit cheaper. Perhaps the 31st is a popular date to fly and hence flights on this day have risen in price quicker??? If this is the case, it definitely suggests the earlier you book the better.

Those prices seem great to me!!

We paid NZ$9189 for 2 adults and 2 chn from Christchurch-San Francisco, returning LAX to Christchurch for this Christmas. (economy-Air NZ)

Unfortunately we are leaving CHCH after 16th Dec which is apparently when the more expensive rates kick in. We are away for a month.

I started watching flight prices about this time last year, and there have been no cheaper flights come up at all for the time we are away. We booked in July this year, and then noticed the flights were getting full by September. Looking at our flight home from LAX, there are only about 3 empty seats. :confused3 No sneaking into other seats for us.

Can't wait!! (to get there that is. Not looking forward to the flight so much:crowded: )

Those prices seem great to me!!

We paid NZ$9189 for 2 adults and 2 chn from Christchurch-San Francisco, returning LAX to Christchurch for this Christmas. (economy-Air NZ)

Unfortunately we are leaving CHCH after 16th Dec which is apparently when the more expensive rates kick in. We are away for a month.

I started watching flight prices about this time last year, and there have been no cheaper flights come up at all for the time we are away. We booked in July this year, and then noticed the flights were getting full by September. Looking at our flight home from LAX, there are only about 3 empty seats. :confused3 No sneaking into other seats for us.

Can't wait!! (to get there that is. Not looking forward to the flight so much:crowded: )

Woooooohhhhh, that is alot of money. That is a good reminder as to why we are flying out 9 Dec which is the last day of cheap flights.

good advice that is..always check when is the last day of the low season..doesnt matter what day you return, its your departure date that counts:thumbsup2

thats why we flew 13 sept this year....after around the 16th it went thru the roof:rolleyes1

I'm sitting here trying to work out just how far my holiday budget is going to stretch and it has got me wondering how best to maximise my money.

In an ideal world I would be able to stay in 5 star resorts, fly first class, eat at michelin star restaurants and shop till I drop. :cool2: But given that my middle-class income is not that generous, I'm always looking for ways to get the 'best bang for my buck'.

So here's what I'm wondering:

1: When deciding how to treat yourself, what luxuries do you find the easiest to justify and why?

For me, it's spending money on the resorts and/or ships where I will be spending the most daylight hours. If I'm going to be out all day and just need somewhere to sleep, I'm happy with a 'value' resort. However, given that our Disney Cruise will be the relaxing part of our trip and has lots of sea days, that is where I'm spending the largest chunk of our accommodation budget.

2: Do you have any little indulgences that you will now always find a way to justify?

For me it's Works Deluxe on ANZ. It's the best seat I can afford on short-haul international flights and, despite being economy class, it comes with heaps of great perks such as lounge access and a neighbour-free guarantee. Also, as I was to discover on my last flight, it also increases your chances of a free upgrade to business. We only paid $80p/p each way to upgrade to Works Deluxe over Works and IMO it was money very well spent.

3: Lastly, have you ever 'splashed out' on holiday and regretted it.

While I don't regret any of my holiday expenses/experiences, I do think that helicopter flights are overpriced for the time you get in the air. South Island scenery almost brings me to tears with how beautiful it is, so on a recent helicopter flight I was expecting to be completely overwhelmed. I think the only thing that overwhelmed me was how quickly I had just spent a thousand dollars :laughing:

Anyway, interested to find out how others think :)

Have been enjoying reading everyone else's responses and find myself nodding and smiling when I read along.

I've found it hard to think about my own answers. Let's see where this goes:-

1: When deciding how to treat yourself, what luxuries do you find the easiest to justify and why?

I find when we are planning a trip we have 2 sides. I like to find the cheapest flights possible, I like to find the best accom for the best price but it must be really nice accom, I like to find good airport transfer companies with great reviews but not too expensive etc. But when it comes to experiences, like the best private tour, the most amazing show, best restaurant, etc. We definitely treat ourselves if it's something that will be a one time experience, I feel like there are some things you can't put a price on :rotfl:
2: Do you have any little indulgences that you will now always find a way to justify?

Decent accom, sporting events, private tours, beautiful meals. These are things that I find we as a family will always spend and justify to our budgets

3: Lastly, have you ever 'splashed out' on holiday and regretted it.

We went to Fiji last year and whilst it wasn't an expensive holiday, we didn't really like it. I would've preferred to spend more to go somewhere else, to stay somewhere nicer, to see more interesting things.

Our biggest indulgence ever was purchasing Bruce Springsteen tickets online one night after vaguely discussing a US trip and having far too many champagnes. I then headed to the TA the next day and booked a whole month long holiday around that boozy evening purchase :rotfl2:.

I now know the best way to get me a holiday overseas. DH is a sucker for ouzo and coke and finds it hard to say no when I present him with an overseas holiday when he is under the influence :rolleyes1

My thoughts exactly! I'm quite surprised to hear that Air NZ is one of the cheapest options from Aus, as more often than not it's one of the most expensive from NZ. Airlines such as Virgin and Air Pacific often price up cheaper.

I know, it's sounds so strange to me when I read the Aussies saying that Air NZ is a bargain for them as, for us, Air NZ is always one of the most expensive options if not the most expensive! :sad2:

I read a Herald article a few months back that said Brits flying LHR - AKL - LHR are often paying thousands less than kiwis flying AKL-LHR- AKL. It does bug me quite a bit when I hear that us kiwis are paying a premium to fly our own airline.

Oh, don't get me started on this. We regularly moan to our Air NZ rep about it. He admits that Air NZ has to compete much more strongly on that market than on ours and hence drop their prices for travel ex the UK and somewhat ex the US too.

No, not necessarily I'm sorry because early December is still not the busy busy time so, closer to the time of travel, if they need to fill their planes (especially as they will have more of them flying that route by then), they may bring out specials. However, if you book at the time the flights are loaded (about 11 months 1 week out for Air NZ), you would be sure to get the lowest "regular" fare and you'd be sure you had seats on the dates you wanted to travel.

Also remember that your date of return is important to consider too. Whilst the outbound at the beginning of December might not be in the busy busy time, a return in later December or early January will in be peak season and those flights will book out fast because the inbound market to NZ start arriving for our peak tourist season.

Yes, that's the same for me with our Hawaii trip. Because we were departing in the middle of peak season on 29 December, I knew no specials would be released valid for those dates and felt sure the flights would just progressively fill up so I booked very early. Just like your flights, ours sure have filled up and only a few seats a a full economy fare are available now. Yikes!! Christmas travel is the busiest and most expensive time of the year to travel and I never thought in a million years I'd do it but, with a daughter in high school meaning only school holiday travel, travelling at that time of the year made sense.

good advice that is..always check when is the last day of the low season..doesnt matter what day you return, its your departure date that counts:thumbsup2

thats why we flew 13 sept this year....after around the 16th it went thru the roof:rolleyes1

Oh Karen, I'm not sure what they are doing in your market but guess what your kissy kissy Air NZ are doing to us now?! As from a few weeks ago, they now only sell one way fares. So that means that, although you may depart in the low season and get a low season outbound fare, if you return and the return date is in another season, you pay a higher fare applicable to that season. So, say you departed 9 December in low season and returned 30 December in high season, you used to get a return low season fare because it was all based on your departure date. But now you get a fare that is calculated by adding a low season fare for the outbound with a high season fare for the return. :sad2: Such a shame......

This AirNZ talk really disappoints me. I reckon the reason they're doing people travelling out of Aus a better deal is because there's competition in the market here. If they try and be competitive, they may pick up that extra $$. Whereas those originating from AKL have no real other option (beside spending lots going to Aus first, which makes no sense).

Oh Karen, I'm not sure what they are doing in your market but guess what your kissy kissy Air NZ are doing to us now?! As from a few weeks ago, they now only sell one way fares. So that means that, although you may depart in the low season and get a low season outbound fare, if you return and the return date is in another season, you pay a higher fare applicable to that season.

This does answer a question I had though, as to whether it would be better to book my outbound fare as soon as that opens, and then the inbound separately when those dates become available. Guess there's no need to wait (until they are both available) if they're treated as one way.

Also remember that your date of return is important to consider too. Whilst the outbound at the beginning of December might not be in the busy busy time, a return in later December or early January will in be peak season and those flights will book out fast because the inbound market to NZ start arriving for our peak tourist season.

They're so (relatively) cheap now though, two months out! Cheap to me, anyway, I haven't seen any really AMAZING fares to compare to, I've seen $9000 (for family of four) and $6000 so $6000 sounds dang find splendid lol. (Hypothetically looking at this year's return dates just after Christmas, flexible around the 27th of Dec.)

Dang airlines, making booking a flight feel more like you're gambling your money! I hate it!

This does answer a question I had though, as to whether it would be better to book my outbound fare as soon as that opens, and then the inbound separately when those dates become available. Guess there's no need to wait (until they are both available) if they're treated as one way.

It's complicated to explain but you need to book them together so that they are on the same ticket as that what is required for the oneway fare on the ex US portion of the travel to be an NZ (or Aus in your case) market fare i.e. a fare from your local market in your local currency.

Dang airlines, making booking a flight feel more like you're gambling your money! I hate it!

Yep, no doubt about it, it is a gamble :sad2:

It's complicated to explain but you need to book them together so that they are on the same ticket as that what is required for the oneway fare on the ex US portion of the travel to be an NZ (or Aus in your case) market fare i.e. a fare from your local market in your local

I just tried pricing both journeys up seperately and I see what you mean. It works out quite a bit more expensive to pay the fares in US dollars on the way back.

I wish I was more I.T. minded and I would trick my computer into thinking I was living in the States. I'm pretty sure the flights would them come out as quite a bit cheaper. :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter