Would Alaska ABD be good for older teens?

lstowe

Earning My Ears
Traveling with me:
24 yo dd
20 yo ds
19 yo dd
15 yo ds

From reading these forums, it sounds like this is not your typical WDW adventure that is geared for younger kids. However, on the ABD page, it speaks to recommended ages as well as Junior Programs...

So, before I take my older kids on this, I want to confirm... otherwise, we will cruise...

Thanks for any advice...:confused3

Welcome to the ABD Forum, lstowe!!!

The age on the website is the recommended *minimum* age. They'll *allow* 4-year-olds, but recommend that they are at least 6. But the trips are geared towards "kids" of *ALL* ages!

I did the Alaska ABD, and it's a *fabulous* trip! I did an Adults Only trip, but they told us the *only* difference in the itinerary was that we went to a brewery for a tour & lunch instead of the Alaska Wildberry Products/the Sourdough Mining Company in Anchorage. I'm not sure if they even go there any more.

I know I loved it. I think most teens would love it, depending on what they are into. We saw wildlife, we took a jetboat down a river in Denali national park, we hiked in Denali Natl park and on a Glacier near Girdwood, we took a fabulous wildlife viewing cruise on the Kenai Fjords, we went to a wildlife santuary, we heard a presentation about the Iditarod race, and got to meet the dogs & puppies, we rafted down a glacial river. The ABD Guides are fabulous at gearing the trip to everyone who is on the tour. I wouldn't worry about it being too geared to little kids only.

The Junior Adventurers are all the kids who want to participate. They won't exclude any of your kids who want to join in the Junior Adventurer's activities, but they don't have to participate, either. There are always options.

Take a look at my Trip Report linked in my Signature. I think you'll find it's a fabulous trip for all ages. The itinerary is a little different now, but it's still pretty close to what I did.

Feel free to ask any questions you have about this ABD. There are several of us on this Forum who have taken this trip (some with kids, and I'm sure they will chime in here also!) Those folks have Trip Reports in the Trip Report Sticky at the top of this Forum, also!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2167714

Sayhello

On our trip in 2010 there was a sprectrum of kids basically fell into two groups. One was around 11-14 yrs. old and the other 12th grade in high school and freshman and sophmore in college. The "kids" tend to find their own groupings and get along quite well. All had a wonderful time. The tour is completely different than a cruise where the inner Alaska is beautiful and just the time in Danali far surpasses a cruise where you see the coast and many just tour the inside passage. I LOVED the tour and got to see the real Alaska away from those tourist areas lined with shops. The guides will adjust their tour to whom is participating and I would almost promise your kids will be overwhelmed by the beauty. Take a cruise later AFTER the final bills are paid for college.:scared1::)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter