would not have bought - if read about hangups on check out day before purchasing

Lizziemom

Mouseketeer
Housekeeping harassing customers?

I can not believe that Disney allows this to continue.

This is not normal Disney customer service, why have they continued to ignore this problem?

While it obviously occurs (many have reported this), we have never experienced any check-out phone calls.

Occasionally, we have gotten a knock on the door around 9 AM and I always tell them we'll be gone by 11. We have never had a second knock.

We've stayed numerous times, and we've never had this happen.

If it's a concern, I would suggest that you make your feelings about this very clear when you check in, and call housekeeping the day prior to your departure as well.

You can also take your phone off the hook the day you plan to leave to avoid the wake up phone calls. We have had them.

hi: we've had them only on the two trips this past year. it's not a big deal, and it certainly wouldn't have stopped us from buying. didn't anyone ever have housekeeping knock on the door when staying in a deluxe or other hotel?

I have never experienced anything other than housekeeping stopping by (knocking) to see what time we were checking out. I never thought anything about this because it normally happpens at most hotels, and all I do is give the staff an estimation of time of departure and I am not bother again.

3 DVC stays so far and not one phone call or door knock. I think it happens but not as often as it sounds. I think I've read 5-8 posts about getting an early phone call on checkout day but I didn't read the 4,639 posts about never receiving a call or a knock.
I wouldn't sweat it.

I also read about 20-30 posts about getting into a room way before the 4pm check in time.
How do you think they get these rooms ready so early.

I think we've had 5 trips, 4 to BW & 1 to OKW... We've never had this type of phone call.. The first trip we did have someone knock on the door, but the last 4 trips I just put the "do not disturb" sign on the door.... I think this happens, but it just hasn't happened to us! Next time I'll be sure to take the phone off the hook though!!!

We've stayed at BWV twice now and did not get a phone call or a knock on the door on checkout day. We have taken advantage of express checkout and have not used the "Do Not Disturb" door hangers, either.

I do believe that it happens, but based on our experience, I would have to say it is the exception, not the rule.

I had wondered if this practice mainly occurs when their overwhelmed with a large number of check-in / cleaning-day rooms to manage. The only time this has happened to us was during our Thanksgiving Holiday stay when OKW was booked to capacity. I would assume the maid service has an assign number of rooms they must complete each day with in certain time frame. I know this is no excuse but I can see them trying to hurry people along so they can complete their job in a timely manner. We were very upset with the hang-up call followed a few minutes later my maid service knocking at the door. We told the maid we would be leaving in a hour. We still received an additional call about a half-hour later. I was angry at the time but I now realize the pressure they are under to get things done. This was the only complaint I have about our stay, pretty minor in the scheme of things I guess!

Sandy B.

Our family like DVCDUDES have never had a knock or a phone call. But have been able to enter our room early most visits.

I don't think that a knock or phone call would cause me not to purchase.

I've had one early knock on the door at OKW in 7 years. After that, I always put out a Do Not Disturb sign. It's my room until 11am and I don't make much of a mess to clean up anyway.

After reading the reports here, I actually wondered about this on our trip last week, as we were in the room till 10am, and my brother was in his room till 10:50. Neither of us got a phone call or knock, although the basket of new sheets and towels was in front of the room from about 8am on...they left us alone completely, despite the lack of "Do Not Disturb" signs on both doors. My brother had arranged for bell services at 11am, so perhaps they had noted that, but we had a rental car and did not give any indication as to when we were leaving.

I've have nothing but praise for housekeeping. Last Fall we were in a studio for 1 night at OKW. My wife got sick that night and could not keep anything on her stomach. When housekeeping came I explained the situation and she said don't worry about it and she would check back at 12. I went to the front desk and told them what was going on and the manager said he would see what he could do about getting us in our 1Bdrm ASAP. I came back to the studio and the lady came back to check and she said stay until 3 that she could clean it in an hour. I told her we were grateful and that they were doing what they could to get us in our next room. By 1pm they came up and brought us keys to our next room and it was almost next door and in the same building and floor. I couldn't thank housekeeping and the manager enough. The only thing we could figure out was that she was the only one to eat chicken strips at WL the night before and she was the only one to get sick. So it about had to be the chicken. Who knows next time it maybe a different story. That was a bad and good way to start off a vacation and I hope it never happens again. I'll be more than glad to check out and in on time with everyone healthy, I don't want to go through that again. Sure had me scared because I had no idea of what we would have done for 5 hours while she was heaving every 30mins.
Grateful

We just got in about an hour ago from our first DVC stay at BWV. We had a studio overlooking the boardwalk. We arrived at 12:45 PM and our studio was ready. On our last day (today) there were no phone calls or knocks on the door.:earsboy:

I have never noticed, is there a Do Not Disturb option on the telephone, too. Probably not or a lot of people would be using it. Any option in setting up DND thru the front desk for the telephone?

We don't actually have any proof that it is housekeeping making the calls (sometimes people are calling each other room-to-room and dial wrong....use the wrong prefix etc. Trying to get togther in the morning is when this is most likely to happen). If it is housekeeping, I don't really see what the big deal is if it's one call. Almost every hotel will knock on the door the day you are to leave once it's past 8:00-8:30. A phone call is actually less intrusive. All they want to know is if someone is still in the room. I would be more annoyed if I had hung the Do No Disturb and they called, since then they haven't tried looking at the room.

That being said....in 8 years of trips I've never had this happen at OKW, Vero or BWV.

PamOKW- like you said, I guess there is no actual proof that it is housekeeping. I do, however, ALWAYS have the "DND" sign hanging on my door because we are late sleepers. I have received these calls at both BWV and OKW. We never get to bed early, especially on the last night, so these early calls really hack me off. I am going this weekend to WLV and will take my phone off the hook before I go to sleep the last night there.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I do think it's wrong. I don't think it's right for HK to call three hours before check-out time to see if we have left. They should come up with a different system.

And I wouldn't mind if they spoke to me, but hang-ups calls are just rude. This did happen to me on date of departure at BWV. I don't have proof it was HK, but seem to think it might have been after all I've read on this board.

In any case, we bought in 1993 and have stayed at OKW 1-2x a year since; have stayed at HH & Vero and BWV each one time. It only happened one time, at BWV. Even though it did happen, and even if it happened every single time, it never would make me want to change my decision to buy into DVC. That's a minor inconvenience compared to all the wonderful times we have spent at these four resorts.

Buying into DVC was most definitely a smart move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter