WOULD YOU RATHER get a throwaway room at CBR/CSR or add waterparks to your tickets?

Do the throwaway - makes sense to me and we enjoyed both pools at CBR and CSR giving the nod to the CSR pool due to the slide!

In the example I shared, we would use the 12 credits to pay for the 4 adults' meals, still paying for the children's meals out of pocket.

Got it. A child deluxe dining plan costs $38 per night, so not even taking account the 2 snacks and the refillable mug, each credit is costing you less than $13 each. And you are getting full adult table service meals from those. I guess I need to go hire some kids...

Last edited:

We book a 1 night AP discounted throw-away ticketless package for 1 adult and 3-4 kids. The kids swim in the pool, and everyone (including 3 other adults) shares 12-15 deluxe dining credits over 2 days. It works!

Take this example:
Day one: lunch at Crystal Palace
Day two: breakfast at 'Ohana and dinner at 50s Prime Time Diner

If we all get one snack and pay for meals out of pocket, for 4 adults and 3 kids, it costs about $640. If we get a $150 moderate room and the dxdp for 1 adult and 3 kids and we pool dining credits, it costs $530. That's a 17% savings, discounting refillable mugs, parking passes, the cost of magic bands, and the intangible value of resort amenities like the pool.

We wouldn't use the pools if we didn't get a room. You get 2 days to use the credits for a 1 night dining plan.

People have mentioned elsewhere that the waterparks are ineffective for afternoon breaks from the parks, mostly because they are as intense as the parks themselves. But isn't it possible for us to relax in beach chairs and people can split off to play if they want?

So the only people swimming would be 1 adult and the kids?

Waterparks gives you access to a pool for the length of your WDW visit. The throw away room would only give you access for 2 days...

I'm assuming you have a car? That's the only way I would do the waterpark option as transportation to the water parks is a bit cumbersome, IMHO. Yes, you can definitely relax at the water parks, however, if you plan on arriving in the afternoon, it may be hard to find chairs together and you will have longer lines than if you go in the morning.

If you don't have a pool at your offsite accommodations and want to swim a lot, I think I would vote for the campsite and the water parks option. If you really only want to swim 1 or 2 days, I guess I would go for the room, however, I'm not sure how you are getting the people who aren't on the reservation into the pool area. You are supposed to be a registered guest to use a resort pool.

We book a 1 night AP discounted throw-away ticketless package for 1 adult and 3-4 kids. The kids swim in the pool, and everyone (including 3 other adults) shares 12-15 deluxe dining credits over 2 days. It works!

Take this example:
Day one: lunch at Crystal Palace
Day two: breakfast at 'Ohana and dinner at 50s Prime Time Diner

If we all get one snack and pay for meals out of pocket, for 4 adults and 3 kids, it costs about $640. If we get a $150 moderate room and the dxdp for 1 adult and 3 kids and we pool dining credits, it costs $530. That's a 17% savings, discounting refillable mugs, parking passes, the cost of magic bands, and the intangible value of resort amenities like the pool.

We wouldn't use the pools if we didn't get a room. You get 2 days to use the credits for a 1 night dining plan.

People have mentioned elsewhere that the waterparks are ineffective for afternoon breaks from the parks, mostly because they are as intense as the parks themselves. But isn't it possible for us to relax in beach chairs and people can split off to play if they want?

Yes, we find it pretty easy to relax at the water parks. It's a much slower pace and we don't find them much like the regular parks. You can hang in the lazy river, in a beach chairs by the wave pool, or in the wave pool and ppl. can go do what they want. Water park days for us are kind of break days for us as they're just much more laid-back.

Interesting question. I'm not a fan of waterparks but I also don't find the pools at the resorts worth spending money to use so I guess I'd go with the water park.

Trying to maximize the dining plan and get resort swim time in over a two day period with several people sounds stressful to me. But if the savings is worth it to you, go for it.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. For the record, we wouldn't get a room for only one night, we'd get one every other night for the duration of our visit. That means that the kids would have pool access every day, which is the same thing we would have at the water parks if we upgraded our tickets.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. For the record, we wouldn't get a room for only one night, we'd get one every other night for the duration of our visit. That means that the kids would have pool access every day, which is the same thing we would have at the water parks if we upgraded our tickets.

Okay, I wont pretend to even try to do the math on this one. I just think it is a lot of work. I would pick a lane and stay there. On site or off. This one day here and one day there is a lot of work. You would need to pack anything you were using in the room every day, find yoru new room two days later, and on and on.....

Can you explain the math on this?

As someone who likes Ft. Wilderness, I'm not a huge fan of the "throwaway campsite" pattern, but I understand the economics of it. I have a hard time working out the math in my head for getting a throw away moderate every other night.

Whoa! My head is hurting with the thought of this. :faint:
Do you mean you get a new dining plan every other day too?

WOW. I can't imagine wasting the time and energy checking in, checking out, multiple DDP, figuring out out how to feed the masses, multiple MB, etc. to save a couple hundred bucks - which doubt you're saving because you are paying to stay off site too.

Surely doesn't sound like vacation to me at all.

Last edited:
Whoa! My head is hurting with the thought of this. :faint:
Do you mean you get a new dining plan every other day too?

Mine, too. Reminds me of extreme couponing. It does work. You just have to be willing to put the time into figuring it all out. The one thing that does bug me is taking up a room that another family could be enjoying who do want to stay on site, but to each their own, I guess.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter