Would you wear 2 grooms hats (or bride's?)

carolina - My partner and I will be there the last two weeks in September - so if we see you, you'll get a great big "Congratulations!"

We're planning a Disney wedding in a few years - we've just got to save up for it!

We are fellow Jersey people and will be there 9/26-10/2. I say wear the hats, the buttons but most of all wear big smiles!! Congrats to you!! Hope to see you there and congratulate you both in person!!

Thanks for the support, everyone!

So, for the buttons - Do you get those from City Hall, like the Birthday Buttons, or what? That would be great to have . . .

Dirk

Thanks for the support, everyone!

So, for the buttons - Do you get those from City Hall, like the Birthday Buttons, or what? That would be great to have . . .

Dirk

You can get buttons at your resort, City Hall @ MK, and guest relations @ the other parks. Last year we sat near a same-sex couple @ Mama Melrose's. They had on anniversary buttons. DH and I were just about to have dessert sent to their table when their server brought them a "Happy Anniversary" dessert, along with a Mickey balloon. Everyone around clapped and wished them happy anniversary, so wearing the buttons definately has perks! Congrats and hugs to you both!!!

Misty

I would give an even bigger smile to those 2 groom hats than I give to the plain old one groom one bride ones!

Have a wonderful Disney Honeymoon!

First of all CONGRATULATIONS Dirk!!! That's so awesome. I wish you both nothing but happiness and luck.

Second of all, I just wanted to say that my wife and I just did EXACTLY what you are about to do. We got married in NJ on July 14th and Disneymoon'd from the 15th to the 22nd of July. We got the buttons and wore the hats (my wife wore the bride one and I wore the tophat one, I tend to be more butch and the bridal one looked totally silly on me and was totally uncomfy with my hair short and all)

Make sure you call the dinner reservation line and tell them that you are there for your honeymoon and all. They'll make it a big deal everywhere you go, it's great!

No one cared that we were two women. In fact, while in line to check bags at MK one night, there was a security guard there was that made it pretty clear that she was a lesbian. They were doing this thing congratulating all the newlyweds coming thru the gate that night by yelling that there were newlyweds and everyone would clap and yell and all. It was so great and I'm not usually one to draw attention to myself but it just makes the whole thing special.

This is your time Dirk, make it as special as you can. Don't be scared and don't worry what everyone thinks, just have fun and enjoy each other, that's what your honeymoon is for! Theoretically, you only get married once..you know? Congrats again and have a blast!
:grouphug:

Ok, just to disagree with everyone - don't wear that hats!

It's not a gay thing - I just hate the hats.

I think they are attention seeking devices and an obvious attempt to get people to fawn over you (not you personally but you get what I mean!) with endless congratulations. Personally, I don't particularly care who's just got married and who hasn't. Sorry - clearly I'm a grumpy old man!

It sounds like you're a hat fan though so all I'd say is please don't either of you wear the bride hat! You're not women!!! (not that I'm suggesting there's anything wrong with women you understand :scared: )

I don't usually post on this board; but I'm in disney right now, and happened to see 2 women in bride's "ears" today. Good affirming reception all around, except for one small child who pointed and asked where the "guy Mickey" was. The mother shushed the child, but gave the brides a dirty look and hustled the kid away with a look on her face like "Disney is supposed to be for families." I loudly remarked to my 11 yr old DD how nice I thought it was that everyone can celebrate their honeymoon here (DD's biggest wish).

I'm a presbyterian minister --a denomination which may never "get" inclusion--so from my POV, the more people they are who demonstrate that "family values" come in many kinds of families, the faster people like the ones who vote in our General Assemblies may get over themselves.

go for the hats, and be kind to children with clueless parents.

As a straight wife and mother in a small Midwestern town I would welcome the chance for my two sons to see a variety of couples/families at Disney and would congratulate the both of you. What a wonderful opportunity for you to be in (what seems to be) a welcoming atmosphere.
Michelle

As a straight wife and mother in a small Midwestern town I would welcome the chance for my two sons to see a variety of couples/families at Disney and would congratulate the both of you. What a wonderful opportunity for you to be in (what seems to be) a welcoming atmosphere.
Michelle

What a wonderful sentiment! We don't have such a thing, but if we did, you would have just won: POST OF THE DAY!!! :thumbsup2

Ok, just to disagree with everyone - don't wear that hats!

It's not a gay thing - I just hate the hats.

I think they are attention seeking devices and an obvious attempt to get people to fawn over you (not you personally but you get what I mean!) with endless congratulations. Personally, I don't particularly care who's just got married and who hasn't. Sorry - clearly I'm a grumpy old man!

It sounds like you're a hat fan though so all I'd say is please don't either of you wear the bride hat! You're not women!!! (not that I'm suggesting there's anything wrong with women you understand :scared: )

Actually, I'm not a big hat fan either - though I do like the standard baseball cap (but the bill always gets in the way of the camera!).

I'm not interested in calling attention to myself, but it is a celebration thing to do, and Disney likes to celebrate too. I don't see us wearing hats at all times - but at certain moments (going into the MK on the first day, in front of V&A for a photo before dinner, that kind of stuff). Besides, who wants to deal with those thingson Big Thunder or Spash Mountain?!!

erinch- we're both Episcopal clergy, so I understand. I'm amused at how the kids in my own parish 'got it' before their parents did.

drmlmeadows - that is a very nice sentiment.

Thanks to everyone for the continued support.

All of this started when a straight couple we met on the Magic last year and have become friends asked us if we would wear the hats!

Well, it's 4 weeks 5 days - so you can imagine how many details of got on my mind right now. Cheers!

Dirk

Congrats!

As an aside, I hope that you enjoy V&As as much as my partner and I do. The service is absolutely top notch and (as with the rest of WDW) the cast members are completely unphased by a same sex couple.

Enjoy!

CarolinaYankee: your denom is ahead of the PC(USA) --except for our own neck of the woods, Pittsburgh, which, I think has joined the Ethiopian diocese? I lose track of your ecclesiastical politics, since our PC(USA) reality show is so entertaining. I'm a presbytery executive and we're currently waiting to see if our biggest congregation is going to exit over gay ordination and marriage issues. I've tried 3 separate times to get the pastors to sit with me and explain why this is "the" issue to split the church. Why not the death of 36,000 children a day globally from preventable causes? why not the environment? I've heard no coherent or even rational answer to that question.

But it's a non-issue to most of the young people I know, even those from conservative congregations. In the meantime, when you can bring yourselves to wear the hats, you're educating a flockof children around you about marriage, and includinng yourselves in the Disney glow. when children of homophobic parents hear a CM tell you congratulations, right in the shadow of the castle, there's nothing their parents can do to erase that image. Change always happens through subversion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter