Would you work for a company that was doing 'things' that you didn't approve of?

shep

Let me tell ya about our 2008 trip out west...
This just came to mind on what DW was saying that might happen where she works that she doesn't approve of....

it depends what the things were and how involved in them i had to be.

Alot of things go on here that I don't approve of but I keep my mouth shut because I'm not the boss. There isn't much work in this area so I need to keep my job.

Nearly every company I've worked for has done "things" I didn't approve of but nothing that I felt was so morally reprehensible that I was forced to quit over it.

depending on what the "things: were. I think lots of companies do things that some of their employees do not always agree with.

As I've said before, I once worked for a Nutraceudical company ("natural" health aids). I took the job because I needed a job, but knew that it wasn't going to be right for me. I felt some of the things that they did were unethical. When I was offered my current position, I immediately left. This nutraceudical company still exists and sells their wares in such stores as GNC. But I am glad to be out.

If it meant puting food on the table and having a roof over my head you better believe it!

If it was my only possibility or the worse of two evils, yes. That being said, it really upsets me to see things going on in a business that should not be going on.

I once worked for a place that the owner and I really disagrred on this: I felt that money should be in the bank before checks were written. (Including paychecks) I hate bounced paychecks. IT was embarrassing when she wanted the managers to lie to others to cover!

I don't think this is a black and white kind of thing. It would depend - what kind of "things"? and are they doing them or would they expect me to do them? Of course if is illegal and not just immoral there is that whole nifty whistleblower thing.

I struggled with that for a while at my former job. And it was a major contributing factor when I finally left that job. Various things were going on in different departments to look good during evaluations of the company. :eek: And when I was TOLD to add something to files and back date it, I felt VERY uncomfortable and would have quit right then if I could. What's your choice as a single parent? You have to work. But there were too many things going on that just didn't sit right with me.

It would take something really wrong before I would leave a job with no savings/job to go to and kids who need food and clothes. But, if I started to see signs of things I was uncomfortable with, I would definitely start looking for something else. I would probably push very hard to find another job. What your wife is seeing going on may be only the tip of the iceberg or the beginning of a change in direction. So now is the time to look elsewhere.
Now, if I could survive but just would be giving up luxuries, vacations, etc. Or would maybe be eating a bit more spaghetti, and soup and what was going on really made me uncomfortable I would leave. From personal experience, it is always better to look for a job while you are employed and not feeling rushed to find something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter