Wrapping up a week at Aulani

gatechfan99

Mouseketeer
We are leaving today and I thought I’d share my thoughts and experiences for those with a trip soon. In general, it was outstanding.

We had been here once before in May 2019. We have 3 kids, ages 14, 11, and 8.

Travel day: took a direct flight from Atlanta on Delta. The Safe Travels website goes away soon, but until it does, get the wristband at your departing airport. If you have that, there’s no screening at all at HNL, just sent through a different line without slowing down. 10 hour flight can start to feel a little long but I was impressed with the food Delta had and their seat back entertainment has so many options to keep you entertained. We rented a car from Alamo and had it set up to go straight to car. All told, we were probably on the road 30 minutes after exiting the plane.

Check-in: probably the worst part of whole trip. We had done Online Checkin but you still have to go to the desk. We got there at a crowded time as well. Long and slow moving line with all the vaccine card checking.

Room: we are DVC and got an ocean view 1 Bedroom. Plenty of room for all of us and on a long trip, the kitchen and washer/dryer make a big difference. Our balcony had a perfect view of the sunset on the ocean.

Crowds: definitely seemed worse on the weekend. Mon-Thurs light crowds at pool. You can get a chair somewhere at any time. If you want a specific view or shade, may want to get down by 8 which isn’t hard when coming from East Coast. We rented a cabana one day which was outstanding.

Food: everything is open except AMA AMA and room service. If you want the view of sunset from AMA AMA, they are using the outdoor tables at Off the Hook so just show up there to eat around 6 and it should work out nicely. We had Makahiki for breakfast and dinner. Both were good but we probably preferred breakfast a little more. Ulu Cafe is convenient for all meals. Monkeypod across street is a good option but crowded. We made a reservation on Open Table a couple of weeks earlier and were seated immediately.

For other food, we hit highlights on island of Leonard’s, Ted’s on the North Shore, and Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck. If you have a chance to get there, all highly recommended.

Spa: another nice treat for my wife and me. Get there an hour early to enjoy the outdoor gardens and whirlpools.

Excursions: we drove ourself around to all. Did Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial. We did it at 8:00 which is good to get moving on you day, but beware traffic getting there. Also went to Dole Plantation which everyone enjoyed (I thought of it as a fancier version of Living with the Land which I also like). We did the ATV Raptor tour at Kualoa. So fun but also so dirty. Plan getting back to your shower before doing anything else. Also the view on highway H-3 through the island is worth it by itself.

Also recommend Chief’s Luau at Wet n Wild. So entertaining and as many have said, Chief really sets this luau apart from other options.

Masks: I’ll be honest, coming from Alabama, we have barely worn masks for months so it was a little adjustment but it certainly doesn’t take away from the experience. You’re outside so much they don’t matter very often. It’s really just reminding yourself when leaving to grab it if you want to run in the restaurant or shop. You do have to keep it on during massage which is a little different but not a deal breaker.

In summary, for us, it’s hard to picture a better vacation. The differences between now and 3 years ago are fairly minimal. We‘re already looking at calendars for when we can come back! If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to try to answer.

Last edited:
I just came back from Aulani and a Disney cruise just now both are perfect disney products I’m glad you had an amazing time
We’ve taken 2 cruises and were discussing how they compare. Other than the ability to see other places (Alaska, Mediterranean, etc), we think we prefer Aulani. But you can’t go wrong with either.

Sounds like a fabulous trip, do you happen to remember you room number since you commented about the balcony sunset view? Thanks.

We are leaving today and I thought I’d share my thoughts and experiences for those with a trip soon. In general, it was outstanding.

We had been here once before in May 2019. We have 3 kids, ages 14, 11, and 8.

Travel day: took a direct flight from Atlanta on Delta. The Safe Travels website goes away soon, but until it does, get the wristband at your departing airport. If you have that, there’s no screening at all at HNL, just sent through a different line without slowing down. 10 hour flight can start to feel a little long but I was impressed with the food Delta had and their seat back entertainment has so many options to keep you entertained. We rented a car from Alamo and had it set up to go straight to car. All told, we were probably on the road 30 minutes after exiting the plane.

Check-in: probably the worst part of whole trip. We had done Online Checkin but you still have to go to the desk. We got there at a crowded time as well. Long and slow moving line with all the vaccine card checking.

Room: we are DVC and got an ocean view 1 Bedroom. Plenty of room for all of us and on a long trip, the kitchen and washer/dryer make a big difference. Our balcony had a perfect view of the sunset on the ocean.

Crowds: definitely seemed worse on the weekend. Mon-Thurs light crowds at pool. You can get a chair somewhere at any time. If you want a specific view or shade, may want to get down by 8 which isn’t hard when coming from East Coast. We rented a cabana one day which was outstanding.

Food: everything is open except AMA AMA and room service. If you want the view of sunset from AMA AMA, they are using the outdoor tables at Off the Hook so just show up there to eat around 6 and it should work out nicely. We had Makahiki for breakfast and dinner. Both were good but we probably preferred breakfast a little more. Ulu Cafe is convenient for all meals. Monkeypod across street is a good option but crowded. We made a reservation on Open Table a couple of weeks earlier and were seated immediately.

For other food, we hit highlights on island of Leonard’s, Ted’s on the North Shore, and Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck. If you have a chance to get there, all highly recommended.

Spa: another nice treat for my wife and me. Get there an hour early to enjoy the outdoor gardens and whirlpools.

Excursions: we drove ourself around to all. Did Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial. We did it at 8:00 which is good to get moving on you day, but beware traffic getting there. Also went to Dole Plantation which everyone enjoyed (I thought of it as a fancier version of Living with the Land which I also like). We did the ATV Raptor tour at Kualoa. So fun but also so dirty. Plan getting back to your shower before doing anything else. Also the view on highway H-3 through the island is worth it by itself.

Also recommend Chief’s Luau at Wet n Wild. So entertaining and as many have said, Chief really sets this luau apart from other options.

Masks: I’ll be honest, coming from Alabama, we have barely worn masks for months so it was a little adjustment but it certainly doesn’t take away from the experience. You’re outside so much they don’t matter very often. It’s really just reminding yourself when leaving to grab it if you want to run in the restaurant or shop. You do have to keep it on during massage which is a little different but not a deal breaker.

In summary, for us, it’s hard to picture a better vacation. The differences between now and 3 years ago are fairly minimal. We‘re already looking at calendars for when we can come back! If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to try to answer.

We are arriving in April. Q's travel tax, groceries, and booking excursions did u do it at Disney. Oh and renting a car how long if u did and where from?

We are arriving in April. Q's travel tax, groceries, and booking excursions did u do it at Disney. Oh and renting a car how long if u did and where from?
I'm not sure how they calculate it (I guess based on how many DVC points the room costs?), but our tax was $33 a day.

For groceries, we went to Foodland first, but later we stopped by a Safeway in the area and it seemed to be bigger with a better variety and selection, so I would probably recommend that. There is also Super Target, Costco, and Walmart in the area so there are plenty of options.

I didn't book any excursion from Disney. I just like to research and plan things on my own and be free to structure the day however I want. It's easy to do these things if you have a car for your whole stay. If not, you can rent a car at Aulani for the day. Part of the allure of Hawaii is just being able to drive around on your own and explore the scenery.

We rented from Alamo at the airport. The new Car Rental Center is a big improvement from what we had 3 years ago when we went. We had the "straight to car option" so it was very quick, but I didn't notice any bad lines at the different counters as we walked by on Saturday afternoon.

Also, I didn't mention, take advantage of the Ko'Olina Club Lounge at the airport if you're going to have a wait. It's free and you can make your reservation online. So much more peaceful waiting there than at the chaotic gates up above. It was just us and one other family in there for about an hour and a half.

Hi, also flying direct to Oahu from Atlanta on Delta (in April). You mentioned the food on Delta - were you in coach/comfort plus or business class? We're in comfort plus and wondering if there is food for sale or if we need to pack our own meals, the Delta website is not very informative.
Also, for the spa, are you allowed to use the amenities only for the hour prior to your treatment? Trying to plan my spa appointment around husband/son's golf tee time and not sure if the spa amenities are available before and/or after. Thanks!!

Hi, also flying direct to Oahu from Atlanta on Delta (in April). You mentioned the food on Delta - were you in coach/comfort plus or business class? We're in comfort plus and wondering if there is food for sale or if we need to pack our own meals, the Delta website is not very informative.
Also, for the spa, are you allowed to use the amenities only for the hour prior to your treatment? Trying to plan my spa appointment around husband/son's golf tee time and not sure if the spa amenities are available before and/or after. Thanks!!
Yes, I wasn't sure on the food either before the flight.

We were in Comfort +, but I'm pretty sure they were handing out the food to all rows on the plane. It wasn't even for sale, just handed out for free. It was a meal about an hour into the flight. It came in hot boxes and were either a vegetarian pasta or roasted chicken with some mashed potatoes. My picky kids didn't really eat anything but it helped to hold off hunger for us for the 10 hour flight. They also gave a snack that was a small mushroom pizza in the same size little box with about 2 hours to go before landing. We brought some frozen uncrustable pb&j's and the kids ate them along with some purchased airport snacks.

For the spa, they had told us we could check in an hour early to use the outdoor whirlpools and garden area. I got the impression it was only for the time before the appointment, but honestly, I didn't see anything or anyone that would have stopped us from using it afterward once you're already in the spa and changing areas. I guess if it were getting very crowded they might try to enforce that post-treatment a little more.

Yes, I wasn't sure on the food either before the flight.

We were in Comfort +, but I'm pretty sure they were handing out the food to all rows on the plane. It wasn't even for sale, just handed out for free. It was a meal about an hour into the flight. It came in hot boxes and were either a vegetarian pasta or roasted chicken with some mashed potatoes. My picky kids didn't really eat anything but it helped to hold off hunger for us for the 10 hour flight. They also gave a snack that was a small mushroom pizza in the same size little box with about 2 hours to go before landing. We brought some frozen uncrustable pb&j's and the kids ate them along with some purchased airport snacks.

For the spa, they had told us we could check in an hour early to use the outdoor whirlpools and garden area. I got the impression it was only for the time before the appointment, but honestly, I didn't see anything or anyone that would have stopped us from using it afterward once you're already in the spa and changing areas. I guess if it were getting very crowded they might try to enforce that post-treatment a little more.
Wow that’s great news about the food. Thanks!

We flew MSP-HNL. ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL direct flights are treated similarly. Coach and Comfort+ receive a meal shortly after take-off, snacks, and then a light meal/heavy snack awhile before landing. My recollection is that Comfort+ receives slightly elevated snacks. Comfort+ also receives “complimentary” alcoholic drinks.

I’m at Aulani now and have been to the spa twice. Unless your appointment ends at closing time, you can use the facilities after your treatment. What seems popular after the appointment is the room with the massaging chairs. My spouse and daughter golfed on Sunday. They had a 9:30 tee time and were told to arrive at 8:30 to get fitted for clubs, etc. My spa appointment was at 10:00, so I could arrive at 9:00. They currently do not have snacks at the spa, but they have bottled water and cans of orange juice and cranberry cocktail.

Be sure your husband and son bring plenty of sunscreen and water golfing. My daughter went through a small tube of sunscreen and came back with a burn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter