• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Yep...Dreamworks has gas alright

HBK

Mouseketeer
Here's a link for ya'll.....

Shrek tops 200 Million

I guess that speaks for itself to the ongoing popularity of Shrek...

Who knows...maybe one day we'll all be trucking on to Dreamworld wearing green ears.

That would be great. And then all these Shrek posts could be posted on the other "DIS" Message Boards A live, free forum, by, about and for Dreamworks fans.

I didn't like Shrek, I know I'm in the minority. And despite the fact that I am an avid Disney fan, I really wanted to like this movie. I heard all the great reviews and was very excited to see it. Maybe my expectations were just too high, but I thought it was just okay.

And the Disney fan that I am, I happened to like most of the Disney films of late with the exception of one of them. Even though they may not have been putting out their best stuff, there is still a certain element that is classic Disney found in each of these films. Am I an unthinking Disney zombie? I don't think so. I know what I like and what I don't like. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I certainly respect the peoples opinion that Shrek is much better then Atlantis or any other movie. Not everyone is going to like the same movies no matter how good or bad they are doing in the box office.

Can't we just all agree to disagree and stop making people feel that they are sub standard if they like a Disney film over Shrek? After all, the reason most of us visit this site regularly is because we are Disney fans.

...Pixieduster, there seems to be a great deal of condescension around here if one doesn't hop on the Shrek-worshiping bandwagon.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie a lot. However, it was a cute, funny movie--not one to savor, like Atlantis: The Lost Empire. I "like" Baby Ruth candy bars, too; Godiva chocolates are to savor.

Joe

and don't take that the wrong way. My point is in the numbers....the business end of Disney.

Right now, the Disney company is in a rut. And the fact that Shrek has out-performed Disney's biggest block buster (Pearl) and it's looking like it's going to out perform Disney's "Savorable" movie (Atlantis).

I personally thought Shrek was good for what it was. I haven't seen Atlantis yet. I'll get to it eventually.

I'm sorry if people don't like to admit facts. And if you still like Disney's new products....great for you....but more and more of the public are becoming indifferent to Disney's product line.

That is my point. Not whether you like a park, movie or broadcast....but is Disney making prudent business decisions?

The answer....No.

Seems we have some folks poised to name Dreamworks the reigning king of animated profits. One success surely doesn't do it for me.

Recall Dreamworks last film, Road to El Dorado, it did $50m US gross on a $95m production budget. Call me a "wait and see" kinda guy, but hey what has Billy Ray Cyrus done since "achy breaky heart"? :)

HBK,

I understand what your saying about Disney's product doing poorly and that you are only stating numbers. However, Dreamworks movie Shrek doing so well has very little bearing on the type of product Disney has been putting out. Shrek was a box office hit, but will that sway Disney fans to swing over to Dreamworks and abandon Disney. Maybe, but probably not. Most of us will hope that maybe this will be some sort of eye opener for them and that they will strive to put out a better product.

I also agree strongly with gcurling that it takes more then one hit to make someone a leader in the industry. They're previous attemps had failed terribly. As far as Dreamworks is concerned, we'll have to wait and see how well their future films do before giving them the title of "king". If they continue to put out fabulous movies, then that's great for them.

In the meantime, here's hoping that Disney will see what they need to do to hold their position in the industry.

One point to remember about animated films... They take a long time to make. So even if Disney executives are scared out of their rut by Shrek's performance, it will be 5 or 6 years before the public sees any benefit from it.

Personally, I think that same people who watch Atlantis are the ones going to Shrek. I also know which one I like better (and it has no ogres in it), but we've already established that I have a minority opinion on some of these points, I mean, hey I even liked The Swan Princess (a Don Bleuth film for those who don't remember it).

A little competition is good for the field, even if it does take a while for it to ramp up. If Dreamworks continues by releasing good stuff (and, frankly, I'm worried that their first response to Shrek's success is to start planning a sequel), then those of us who love animation will have more of a chance to pick and choose which animated films are the best.

Sarangel

A little competition is good for the field, even if it does take a while for it to ramp up.
Well, I think that's really what's on HBK's mind through all this. It looks to me, and HBK (if I can speak for him) that Disney has thrown in the towel. At a point where we feel they should "ramp up", they are taking a dive. Very un-Disney-like. I, for one, am very dissapointed.

Well, I think that's really what's on HBK's mind through all this. It looks to me, and HBK (if I can speak for him) that Disney has thrown in the towel.

Baron....of course you can speak for me here....and you hit the nail right on the head.

I know animated movie's aren't made overnight.

But when you're fighting a war....and the other side starts to make gains on your turf, you don't let half of your army go fight for the enemy.

I don't think Disney's waging a war....I think they've raised Uncle Mike's tighty whities up their corperate flag pole.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter