Yes, we're going to WDW AGAIN!

CJK

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the Community board, but I thought my fellow adult Disney lovers may be interested too. We are forever hearing about how nuts we are to be going to WDW again, especially since we don't have children. Any of you go through the same thing?

Some people cringe at the sound of nails on a chalkboard. I, however, cringe when I hear the phrase, “you’re going to Walt Disney World AGAIN”??????

My love affair with everything Disney began on my first trip to WDW at the young age of 2. I may not remember much (if anything) from that trip, but my family sure does. To this day, 30yrs later, my parents still talk about the palpable excitement we all felt in the car when we entered the Disney gates and followed the signs to Fort Wilderness Campground for the very first time. We were literally bouncing up and down in the car, just itching to get out and start exploring this new place called Walt Disney World. The trip not only met, but actually exceeded all of our expectations. We enjoyed 5 glorious, carefree days of park touring, character kissing, canoeing, marshmallow roasting, swimming and dinner shows. We had found paradise.

In fact, we all had such a wonderful time; we ended up going 14 more times by the time I turned 18! As both my parents had summers off, we enjoyed a lot of summer vacation time (something I have since longed for in my adult life!). For the month of July all through my childhood, we would travel up and down the east coast of the U.S., taking in all the sites from the Virginias, to the Carolinas and even a few jaunts to Tennessee. We had wonderful, quality family time that I will always carry with me and treasure. However, if you were to ask us each individually, I’m sure we’d all agree that reaching WDW was our ultimate destination. The other stops, though enjoyable, were gravy.

Over the years, we shared the magic with family and friends along the way. Cousins and friends joined us for our annual family vacation. I remember dragging my cousin from ride to ride in the Magic Kingdom. I considered myself a “Disney authority”, so I considered it a family duty to show my cousin all that Disney had to offer. I do wonder if she still resents me for dragging her around, literally, by the arm. I should have cautioned her that when traveling with me to Disney, wimps need not apply. J

Did I learn my lesson?

Years later, I went to Disney with my roommate and I once again found myself in the position of tour guide. I’m pleased to report that while I didn’t pull her by the arm, I may have possibly prevented her from eating lunch from time to time…. . There’s just too much to do and see to sit down and, well, eat.

Rest assured – these were in my younger days.

If we went back today, I’d give her an apple.

Yes she’s still my friend.

Ah the memories! Never was my family so relaxed, then when we were on vacation. I can hear my dad whistling while he set up the trailer in Fort Wilderness. I can still imagine my mom’s pigtails, which we affectionately renamed, “vacation hair”. In fact, I learned how to drive while in Disney! I’ll never forget the day my dad said that I could drive the golf cart. The thrill of the wind in my hair, whizzing by lost tourists, I truly tasted the freedom of adulthood.

Well, as adult as you can feel in Fantasyland.

Yes, I literally grew up in Disney. My sister and I used to ride our bikes, go swimming and do so much together that we never really did at home since we were 5yrs apart in age. At home, hanging out with your little sister left something to be desired (though I was a darn cute little sister if I may say so myself), but while on vacation, age barriers disappear. In fact, in Disney, age is irrelevant. We’re all young when we’re visiting the Mouse. Trip after trip, year after year, you just can’t beat the pure excitement you felt when you catch that first glimpse of the castle as you walk down Main Street. Pipe in some Disney music, and we’re at the mercy of our joyful tears.

I remember one trip in particular. I was 8, and my sister was 13. We were swimming in the pool, completely immersed in Disney magic, when my dad suddenly noticed a fellow teacher from home. They immediately started chatting and our families were promptly introduced. This other family had an 8yr old boy. You’d think I’d have a new playmate wouldn’t you? Sadly, it wasn’t meant to be. My little 8yr old self, though undeniably adorable, was no match for my 13yr old POST-pubescent sister. This 8yr old boy was in love.

And I waited for puberty.

Did this twosome fall in love and get married and live happily ever after like Disney fairytales suggest? Not exactly. You see, the younger, wicked stepsister grew into a beautiful swan and after awakening from a spell-induced sleep with a single kiss, she reunited with her prince.

Okay, well maybe I’m confusing fairytales with reality, but it sounds better than saying my 13yr old sister preferred older men and I did eventually go through puberty.

Did I just call myself wicked?

I did marry him, 16yrs later. As the saying goes, “slow and steady wins the race”. I figured it was better to spend a couple decades getting to know one another before rushing into marriage. J

I don’t even need to tell you where we went on our honeymoon.

In the 8yrs that we’ve been married, we’ve been to Disney about 7 times. We both love Disney and all that it has to offer. Maybe it’s because it brings back such fond memories. Or, maybe it’s because once you’re there, you needn’t do a lot of traveling because everything you need is right there. With 4 theme parks, 2 waterparks, dozens of hotels to explore, hundreds of restaurants, Nightlife, lots of shopping, parasailing, tours, golf, etc…you’ll never, ever get bored. The parks are always changing and new attractions are always being created too. We still have not experienced all that Disney has to offer. We hope to rectify that soon (in 3 months and 2 weeks to be exact).

Last year, we took another family vacation to Disney. Only, this trip included husbands and nephews – a real grand gathering. How magical it was to see the magic of Disney captured in the next generation of our family – in our nephews. I even learned how to be a better tour guide and actually allowed my family to walk at their own speed and even sit down to eat.

Just don’t ask me for restroom breaks.

It was a glorious trip that will go down in the history books. If you’re interested, here’s a link to my trip report. http://www.disboards.com/showthread...52&goto=newpost

Before you go thinking I need to broaden my horizons, be assured that we do travel elsewhere. We’ve gone skiing in Quebec, camping up north, enjoyed the Grand Ole Opry, traveled to different countries and soaked in the different cultures style. We have goals of traveling across Europe (we’re accepting donations) and Australia (we’re accepting even more donations). We’ve been blessed to be able to go on two trips a year. One trip is to “go home” to Disney. The other is to go somewhere new.

Yet, we continue to hear the same comments from people every year. It baffles me in a way. A friend said to me a couple weeks ago that she tells people how she has this friend who always goes back to Disney every year. I mentioned that we also went to Varadero a few months ago and Freeport the year before. Does she also tell people that we go to other places too? She was honest and said, “No. It’s more fun to tell people you’re obsessed and only go to Disney”. I admit to being surprised and slightly hurt. But hey – I came up with a good comeback.

Never mind that it was a week later.

You see, this friend has a trailer up north that her family goes to every weekend in the spring and summer. Should I ridicule her for not broadening her horizons?? Is she obsessed with her trailer?

Do we enjoy exploring new places? You bet. I think it’s important to see the world if it’s within your means. Where we live is a very small representative of the world as a whole. We look forward to seeing many different countries.

And not just in World Showcase in Epcot.

Another favourite comment of mine is, “but you don’t have children”!!! This thought process makes me giggle. As other Disney enthusiasts will tell you, Disney was not built for children. Walt’s vision was to build a theme park where children AND adults could play and have fun together. Walt remarked many years ago how it wasn’t as much fun to watch his children play, as it was to play with them. Thus, Disneyland and later, Disney World were born. I have yet to see an adult go to the Magic Kingdom and not enjoy an encounter with the Pirates of the Caribbean or find themselves humming or tapping a foot along with Br’er Rabbit and the gang in Splash Mountain.

Some people have cottages. Some people have trailers. We, happen to have a little place in Florida called Walt Disney World. Whether our love of Disney is based in fond family memories or in a mutual bond between my husband and myself, it’s a fantastic vacation spot for us. It may not be right for many of our loved ones, but it’s perfect for us. My husband tells me that other people don’t pay for our vacations, so it shouldn’t matter what they think anyway!

I read on a favourite message board something that I will think about the next time someone makes a comment to us about going back to Disney AGAIN.

“For those who “get it”, no explanation is necessary, and for those who don’t, no explanation will do”.

It’s time to forget about any negative comments from people and ignore the nails on the chalkboard. My love affair with the Mouse began 30yrs ago and is showing no signs of slowing down. I’ll talk to you after I get back from Disney – AGAIN.

All I can say to that is......."BRAVO CJK!" My wife and I have been together for working on 5 years now and have always made an annual trip to WDW. By the way, we have no kids. I always tell folks that question our annual pilgrimage to see the mouse that this is the one place and the one time a year that we as adults can be kids. I cherish every trip to WDW and always head back home just mentally planning our next trip. Thanks for that thread........I really enjoyed it! :)

My late wife and I first went to WDW in 1987 (which was before we got married). From 1992 we had APs (Judy until she died in 2004, me until I started working at WDW last August) and from our first trip until the time we moved we spent 320 nights in WDW or nearby. Never any children involved.

Of course we were so over the top that when one time we had to tell our bosses that we had to "make an emergency visit to Disney World" there was no shock. Of course we were each known as the Disney experts in separate office buildings with over 1,000 people in each.

CJK-Just wanted to let you know I'm another one who "get's it" :goodvibes
While I certainly don't have the history with wdw that you do, I am making up for lost time :teeth: My 1st trip was a "once in a lifetime" trip in 2000 with my dh and dd (ds didn't want to go :confused3 ). We loved it so much we were planning a 2nd trip for 2002 on the way home. Life, as we all know, does not always play out as we expect, and sadly, we lost my dh unexpectedly to cancer before our next trip came to be. My dd and I made the trip to wdw in 2002 alone, while it was sad because we missed dh, we soaked in the many happy memories of all we had shared in 2000 and made more happy memories we will always have to share in the future. Since then, my dd has joined me on another trip in Dec 2003 and I have been on 6 solo trips! That's 9 trips in 6 years :cloud9: My friends and co-workers make fun of me LOL but that's okay. Disney is my safe, "happy place" . I have so many happy memories of our 1st trip, and continue to make special memories for the future. This Oct I'm going back for a few days solo and then my dd and her dbf will be joining me for about 10 days....then I think I'll need to go back in April 2007 before my AP expires... :woohoo:
katypop

I have been going to WDW since 1972 - had to stop in 76 Grandmother died and didn't come back until 79 - then in 83, started back on yearly trips in 1988, then twice a year in 91, joined DVC in 93 and one year I stayed 7 times.... but generally only 3 or 4.

I have stayed twice this year and have 2 more times scheduled. I am definitley going in December - just not sure about Sept. If my brother and his family go in Sept I will - if he doesn't I am not sure.

believe me I can understand where you are coming from. I got teasy alot - but now that I have a timeshares (DVC) at Disney they just 'understand' that I 'have' to go to WDW.....yea right!!!

Disney and DVC are great together - you are at the best place in the world!!!

I have tried to go to other places - Hilton Head, Sc; Williamsburg, Va; Gatlinburg, Tn; - but why - when we visit other places we just miss WDW.

One week Honeymooning at WDW's Caribbean Beach started it for me.
Then a one day visit four years later.
A 5 day trip last March (which was very near our 5th anniversary).
Then Disney offers Free Dining and we are going back in August for my Birthday.
And of course we hear "Again!!!!!"
Then I tell them,
"$120 per day for each of us. 6 days five nights includes Parkhopper passes, Resort stay, Free Dining, Magic Express and.............AIRFARE!"
And the reply is "WOW" "Yes, we would go too with that deal"

Mikeeee

We enjoy WDW and we'll have 6 visits this year. I generally just tell people we're going to Florida.

Bobbi :sunny:

Most people who know me don't even ask anymore where I am going when I say I am going on Holiday. They know. But if I don't go to Disney they ask "what, not a Disney destination". :teeth:

Thanks for all the responses! How refreshing to meet so many kindred spirits!

My DH and I get the "You guys don't have kids and you are going to Disney why????" But alot of our friends are jealous now that we have joined DVC a few years back and when they hear about all the vacations that are Disney. (Disney cruise, WDW, Vero Beach) They now realize that we are getting fabulous vacations and it is not just for kids. Funny how many people think that way. As a Disney nut I will say, "Too bad, so sad for them"

CJK-beautifully said! I couldn't agree more! I get the same response when I tell people I'm going again. At least I do have a DD6 princess: to take and I can tell people-"I'm taking my daughter" :rotfl2: The truth is she went on her first trip when she was 2 yrs. 9 mo. She dosen't remember that trip or the next one when she was 4.25 yrs. My mom and I went on three trips prior to taking her and I'm not counting my first trip in 1983 as a young adult. My DD6 has now been 6 timers with her 7th coming in Sept.

The first time my mom and I went together was Sept. 98. We had a great time. Then, just when I was feeling the urge to go again, my mom and my sister suggested going back to WDW for my 40th birthday. So June 1999 we went-we took my 8 yr. old nephew that time. Then my mom and I again April 2000. I was starting to see a trend. We were going every 9 months. That seemed like a good spacing-just when I was missing Disney, we would go again. Next trip June 2002-first trip with DD. Oops-what happened? How did we go so long with WDW? :sad1:

Then my DM was disagnosed with breast cancer and we had to hold off going for awhile. She told her doctor that when she was done with her treatments, she was....."going to Disney World" I don't think he believed her but that's exactly what we did! Dec. 2003-and MVMCP. My mom, my DD4, my niece (DL CM) and myself. The holiday decorations were great! 9 months later we went again Sept. 04. This time my sister and her friend joined us. We just missed Hurricane Frances and left the day Ivan hit the panhandle. Then my mom agreed to a last minute trip in Jan. 05. We did the DDP for the first time. I finally broke the 9 month gap. This was only 4 months! :goodvibes

Then of course, Disney offered free DDP, and we had to go back in Sept. 05. Jan. 06 we went back with our largest group to date. My mom, my 2 sisters (1 a newbie), my niece (CM), my DD6, and myself. First time with 2 rooms. And now, finally we are going back again for free DDP in Sept. and our first time at MNSSHP.

A few important facts-my mom is doing great and is still cancer free! She is a young 66 yr. old and is very adventurous. Other than our trip in Jan. 05, all of our trips have included some time away from Disney. My mom insists on little side trips, but I like them too! My DD6 is in a year round school and she is off in Jan., May, and Sept. which allows us to go when most kids are in school-I love that :lovestruc

I have a theory about WDW. You are either born with the ears (hence my name), or not. My fate was cemented as a child when I realized one of the Mouseketeers had the same name as I. I did not get to visit Disneyland until I was in my 20's and then was thrilled when I found out I would be within 10 hours of WDW. I've been at least 20 times and get just as excited each time we go. Have you noticed that most people are not "middle of the road" - they love it or could care less about going. Thankfully, I married a man (although he did not know it at the time) that loves Disney as much as I do. We must have passed on the genes because our adult children won't miss an opportunity. In fact, when offered a cruise this fall they both said they would rather go back to WDW. Other family members think we are insane.....but we never tire of it. I am just happy to know that there are so many others just like us!!

Annette

People are now beginning to understand my obsession so I don't hear "you are going to Disney again?" Instead they say "WHEN are you going to Disney again?"

It is also funny that now that I have "come out" about my Disney obsession, others have secretly begun to seek advice. In fact last week I developed a one-day itinerary for a couple who are stopping by Epcot during a week-long trip to Florida. And this is a couple who own a villa in Italy!!!

Our 20 something children tolerate our trips, and occasionally accompany us, but they are not obsessed like we are. My parents live 1.5 hours from WDW so we are able to use them to justify our frequent trips....

Anyway, you are not alone!

Many times I get the same comments from friends...but I look at it this way - the more of them that stay away...the more room for us to play...have a great time - I can't wait - I leave tomorrow for a quick 5 day trip!!!!

I actually just heard that from 2 co-workers on Friday! I do go to other places, such as California & Las Vegas, but there is just something special for me at WDW. I told them that there is always something new every time I go. It's the one place where, no matter what your age, you can just be a big kid again. It's relaxing for me. Believe it or not, I get a little teary eyed everytime I first walk down Main Street and see the Castle or as I'm approaching EPCOT and see Spaceship Earth. It's like going to my other home.

I told a friend of mine just today that my dream vacation would be the Disney World Tour. I'd start in California, then go to Tokyo and Hong Kong, France and then back to WDW!
I'm single, never married, with no kids and I'm sure people have made judgements about my Disney addiction. I could not possibly care less.
To love Disney means that there is still a part of you that believes that a puppet can be a real boy, that anyone can fly with a little Pixie Dust and no matter how bad things seem, Dreams still can come true. The day that I lose that part of myself will be the day they put me in the ground. (wearing a Disney shirt and all my pins!)

DH and I are in our 30's, no kids and have owned DVC for 7 years. We've been able to take our families and friends but when we go alone people usually comment something like "Again, your going to WDW!" I've started just saying were going to Florida or to visit our good friend's who happen to live in Orlando. They don't even visit WDW as much as we do :confused3

It's a huge misconception that Disney is just for kids. There are so many things for adults but for people who are not educated on Disney or never visited, unfortunately don't realize that. Heck, I'd be happy just laying out in the sun at the pool as long as it's WDW. :sunny:

I love telling this story of my best friend who was 32 when she first saw Cindrella's Castle at Magic Kingdom and cried. She grew up very poor with 5 brother's and sister's and she said it was just so overwhelming for her that she was overcome with tears (of joy, of course). I wish more people would open themselves to feel such emotion. :wave:

When we announced to our friends in April that we were going back to WDW again, I heard " Don,t you ever go anywhere else?" This from someone who never goes anywhere. Our first trip was in 1990 with our kids 8 & 11. I can still remember how excited I was as we rode the ferry over to MK. I was much more excited than the kids. We went back with the kids in 1994. Then in 1997 we went without the kids. That is definitely the way to go ! We seem to go more often, as we get older. Next trip (no. 8) will be Sept 06, one year after the last one. And planning it is lots of fun as well.

79 days and counting ! :cheer2:

Hey OP, there are many of us just like you! :wave:

Neither DH nor I went as kids (families couldn't afford it), our first trips were in our 20s. When we started dating (in our mid-30s), I got the idea that a WDW trip would be a good test of our compatibility. We both swear that long weekend was when we knew we would get married, and we were engaged a few months later. Honeymooned in WDW and have been going regularly since.

After three trips in 12 months on our first-ever APs, we were supposed to skip WDW in 2006. Ha! We booked a short October trip a couple of months ago. We took 5 adult friends with us last November, and all of them can't wait to go back with us in 2007. (We are all late 30s to 50, no kids).

We let it slip that we are going back for a short trip in October. Our best friends Bill & Stacey are going to be in FL visiting her mom at the same time, so lo and behold, we are now picking them up in St. Augustine and driving them to WDW for five days! :rotfl: Bill swore he wouldn't like WDW much, but once he experienced it our way (good planning, discounts, great dining, Food & Wine Festival), he was hooked! We are doing MNSSHP again...a total blast for adults, trust me! and our first-ever Monorail Drink-A-Thon.

Like many have posted, I no longer get the "You're going to Disney AGAIN?" comments, I get requests for planning assistance and inquiries about joining our next group trip.

My best girlfriend went for the first time with us last November, and she already wants the 2007 dates booked!

Let the naysayers go elsewhere...shorter lines for the rest of us! :)

I am so glad that there are people just like me!!!

My family thought that my DH and I were crazy for going to WDW again this year, this is only our 2nd trip this year. Friends even looked at us as if we were nuts, because we are going alone, just the two of us, without our 3 lovely children. :goodvibes

I just can't wait, it is like going somewhere new each time we go, this will be our 4th trip in just over 2 years, and I am just as excited about this trip as I was about the first.
:cheer2: :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter