Yet another GAC quesiton

disney*mom*82

DIS Veteran
Ive been to WDW many times and have used a GAC a few years back (DD was hooked to many machines and needed to stay attached to them), but I know as times pass, things change and just want to check with some of you to see what our options may be.

My DD4 has apnea and heart conditions. (bradycardia & tachycardia) She tires extremely easily and still naps 3+ hours a day and sleeps 10+ hours at night. She is not much of a walker, even at Wal Mart of the mall she needs to ride in the cart/stroller. She does not have a medical type stroller, just a normal stroller.

Myself- I have spina bifida occulta, many major congenitial malformaitions of the back (wear a back brace and use a tens unit daily) and have bone spurs and plantar faciotis in both feet. I cannot sit or stand long without being in pain. A wheelchair is not good for me since sitting too long causes pain, Im better pushing her in the stroller as it acts like a walker for me.

With that said, what are our odds of qualifying for a GAC? I think we would benefit best from the stroller with a wheelchair with alternative entrances. Do we? What do I need to tell the GS? I wouldnt use it unless we need to, I dont want to abuse the system, but it would help us be able to make this trip less painful.

I would definitely ask for stroller as wheelchair. As for any other, just explain exactly what you and/or she can and cannot do, and Disney will give you the best GAC for your needs.

Ive been to WDW many times and have used a GAC a few years back (DD was hooked to many machines and needed to stay attached to them), but I know as times pass, things change and just want to check with some of you to see what our options may be.

My DD4 has apnea and heart conditions. (bradycardia & tachycardia) She tires extremely easily and still naps 3+ hours a day and sleeps 10+ hours at night. She is not much of a walker, even at Wal Mart of the mall she needs to ride in the cart/stroller. She does not have a medical type stroller, just a normal stroller.

Myself- I have spina bifida occulta, many major congenitial malformaitions of the back (wear a back brace and use a tens unit daily) and have bone spurs and plantar faciotis in both feet. I cannot sit or stand long without being in pain. A wheelchair is not good for me since sitting too long causes pain, Im better pushing her in the stroller as it acts like a walker for me.

With that said, what are our odds of qualifying for a GAC? I think we would benefit best from the stroller with a wheelchair with alternative entrances. Do we? What do I need to tell the GS? I wouldnt use it unless we need to, I dont want to abuse the system, but it would help us be able to make this trip less painful.

I think you would certainly qualify for at least Stroller as a WHeelchair.
BTW, my husband has PF too and he finds New Balance shoes are great. I would use a good touring plan too, this minimizes waiting in lines more than a GAC could.

Good Luck! Have a great time :)

Yes, stroller as a wheelchair should qualify. Even with alternate entrance, you are still going to be waiting in lines, at some rides the line for access can be longer than regular at times (small world and kilimanjaro come to mind). Furthermore, there is going to be TONS of walking. When you get a GAC, GS will tell you that if walking an standing are a problem they recommend a Wheelchair, and that the GAC is not meant to bypass lines or decrease wait times. I would use FP as much as possible, try to go early when there are less crowds, and make sure to take breaks.

The information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is current with information about Guest Assistance Cards. You basically explain what the needs are and the CM will assist you.

That thread is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature to get there.

Since you have problems when standing, you may also want to look at some of the other posts on the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post one is an index to tell which post to find which information in. One post talks about attractions which involve standing - they involve standing for all guests unless you have brought a seat with you, in the form of a wheelchair/ECV or other mobility device or are able to borrow an attraction wheelchair while you are in that attraction.

As was already posted, a touring plan or at least knowing which part of which park is likely to be least busy is going to be very helpful to you in avoiding waits. It can help more than a GAC because it helps in places a GAC can’t help, like for just getting around, waits in places like bathrooms and restaurants.

Thank you for everyones advice. I really do appreciate you all. I go for injections in my back 1 week before we go to WDW, I usually get about 20-25 injections and should be feeling decent for the first few days, so then my only problem is my feet and we are woking on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter