• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Yeti Gone?

Caissons can be repaired and/or reinforced. What they don't want to have to do is remove it completely - hugely expensive and possibly destabilizing to the surrounding areas (that reportedly have other caissons or foundations). It's much easier to make repairs when the structural load is removed; depending on the severity of this. It really depends in part how bad the cracking is and whether the Yeti also needs to be re-designed to avoid a future repeat, even with a repaired, replaced, or "beefed up" caisson.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the caisson isn't as bad as some have speculated. There is no way they would have continued to operate an attraction racing around that Yeti caisson (with the full weight load of the Yeti still upon it) if it was unstable to a huge degree. Safety folks...

Wow! I just checked Amazon and it's $125 used and $175 new! That's pretty darn steep for a book that's listed (though not in stock) at Chapters for $25.

Really? WOW, that's steep.

I picked it up when it came out a few years back for around $20. It's good..but it's not $100+ good! That's a higher price than "Since the World Began" (the Kurti book I mentioned previously)!

Wonder why it's so expensive!

I've actually never gotten around to getting this book (WDW -the first 25 years)...is it a good read for a themepark technophile?

It's hopelessly outdated, now. And it's not super technical.

But it gives a great historical account of how the park was built, it's history, etc. Lots of cool trivia (most of which Disneyfiles already know) and GREAT presentation.

It's not nearly as "technical" as something like Vinyl Leaves, but it's presented in pretty standard "coffee book" fashion. Lots of pictures and some good content.

Either just before or just after Bruce Gordon passed away, there was another book that came out called Walt Disney World: Then, Now, and Forever, also done with Jeff Kurtti (I think Jeff finished it after Bruce passed). It was available (I think) only in the parks and at Disney stores. I confess, I haven't laid hands on it, but I remember reading it was a spiritual successor to the 25th Anniversary book.

But looking around, that, too, looks out of print with ridiculously high prices.

When exactly did the Yeti break? The first and only time I have been on EE was in July 2009. Was it broken then? I'm not really a rollar coaster fan so I may have been to terrified to notice ;)

When exactly did the Yeti break? The first and only time I have been on EE was in July 2009. Was it broken then? I'm not really a rollar coaster fan so I may have been to terrified to notice ;)

Definitely broken then. I don't know precisely when they turned it off completely, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a year. Possibly a lot less.

however geeked you can get about the story...the fact it is a western runaway railroad is pretty tired, and the reality is that you spend 30 seconds going up a lift 3 times with 15 seconds of curves and dips in between is really choppy and makes a bad run....today, tomorrow, or in 1979.

I kinda agree with this one...I don't think any other amusement/theme park company in the world would get away with a coaster having 3 lift hills without being laughed at by enthusiasts, but Disney somehow did it.

Having said that I like Thunder Mountain, but it's a lot of waiting (and very loud lift hills, though Space Mountain is STILL no better in that regard)

Definitely broken then. I don't know precisely when they turned it off completely, but I'm pretty sure it was less than a year. Possibly a lot less.

Can't seem to find when it broke anywhere. I do know it was still working in June 2007.

TT is no longer the most expensive it's cousin Radiator Springs Racers will be 350 million.

Radiator Springs Racers looks amazing so far. Glad they are gobbling up the bland Anaheim skyline with the cool Cars background.

I was on the ride in January, without the Yeti. I'm not sure what people are complaining about, it's still the best coaster at WDW.

Yeah, I agree...I mean I've been on it in A<B< and C modes, and granted A was cool...It wasnt all that, you're going by very fast anyhow. My mom missed the Yeti alltogether, she didnt even notice it while riding....hahaha. She claims she just didnt look up, she was looking fwd.
:rotfl2:

It was in B mode, "ala disco/strobe" Nov. 2010, but the last time I notice it moving was in 2007

:surfweb:IMO I can't see disney letting the yeti go away permanently. There was just too much money and time put into this to blow it off. They know that they've already wooed the crowds (including me, this is my favorite ride) and that a *yeti* ride would be pointless without a *yeti*. Unless they change the theme, but that wouldn't make since either after the mini yeti museum in the wait line and all the yeti merchandise. I imagine that Disney has been working on it after hours and they will eventually get back our yeti friend even if it takes a few months. If they can build a yeti, they can fix it. :grouphug:

:surfweb:IMO I can't see disney letting the yeti go away permanently. There was just too much money and time put into this to blow it off. They know that they've already wooed the crowds (including me, this is my favorite ride) and that a *yeti* ride would be pointless without a *yeti*. Unless they change the theme, but that wouldn't make since either after the mini yeti museum in the wait line and all the yeti merchandise. I imagine that Disney has been working on it after hours and they will eventually get back our yeti friend even if it takes a few months. If they can build a yeti, they can fix it. :grouphug:

Money that is spent is spent. Nothing can get it back. If the ride continues to have long lines why spend more money?

On that note I have never been on the ride in A mode. Would love to see it. I hope they can and do fix it.

BUt if it is going to to cost an extreme amount of money and have little return with guests at the turnstile I can not see todays Disney sinking a lot of money into it. If it is a minimal amount of money then they may fix it.

What I can see is if a fix is possible keep the Yeti covered. Then if attendence falls at the park they can fix it and have a whole marketing campaingn saying "the Yeti has returned" much the same with with the different itterations of tower of terror.

The yeti is just a myth...folklore...legend. those pulled up train tracks were not actually done by the yeti...I won't believe it until I see him/her with my own eyes!!

BUt if it is going to to cost an extreme amount of money and have little return with guests at the turnstile I can not see todays Disney sinking a lot of money into it. If it is a minimal amount of money then they may fix it.

That's just the thing. Today's Disney literally cannot understand why you would spend money to fix something like that, with very little return and which many guests don't seem to much notice or care about.

But elements like an A-mode Yeti are what (used to) separate Disney from its theme park neighbors - attention to detail and maintaining its own standards. "Bad Show" didn't used to be considered "good enough show" if it would save a buck.

That's just the thing. Today's Disney literally cannot understand why you would spend money to fix something like that, with very little return and which many guests don't seem to much notice or care about.

But elements like an A-mode Yeti are what (used to) separate Disney from its theme park neighbors - attention to detail and maintaining its own standards. "Bad Show" didn't used to be considered "good enough show" if it would save a buck.

Bullseye!

Agreed, I hope I am wrong and they are fixing it.

Today, May 27, 2011, I rode Everest, expecting to see the yeti covered up, but he wasn't. He was uncovered, the strobe light was on him, but he wasn't moving. I don't know why he was uncovered if they are working on him, unless it's just for Star Wars Weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter