• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

YIPPIE! HoB is Closing

Yeah......I work there......we aren't going anywhere. Not to mention the box office/smokehouse/outdoor seating refurb that just happened . . .

1) My posting did not quantify when-what is closing.
2) All I heard was they did not renew the lease and are closing.
3) Since nothing else is known at this time, they could be
. . . relocating
. . . closing parts of the establishment
. . . closing it all
. . . adding/subtracting their footprint
4) This early on the game, there are lots of unknowns.
5) I am sure details will eventually come to the surface.

NOTE: Very early on, no one believed me when I said Pleasure Island was
closing. People also did not even want to consider the possible closure
of what "they thought" was the highly profitable Adventurer's Club. Of
course, it was hardly a major profit center. Yet, it is all gone. Also, no
one wanted to believe the announced Hyperion Wharf's announced 200
new jobs, 600 construction, 500 restaurant and 100 suppliers went South.

. . . relocating
. . . closing it all

Although the flaming wasn't terrible, you should have left the cloak on until the end of the day at least. Just to be safe.

{FLAME PROOF CAPE FROM DRAWER TO MY SHOULDERS}
1) OK, so maybe I should not show so much glee.
2) But, they were always average-to-mediocre.
3) Then, they allowed Aaron Sanchez to author a new menu.
4) The taste and quality didn't go downhill - it outright dived!
5) So, they have not renewed their contract and will be leaving.
6) The "rumor" came from a solid source I know, so I trust the info.
{FLAME PROOF CAPE RETURNED TO DRAWER}

NOTE: In regards to the Gospel Luncheon, this will be missed. But, a new
eatery would be a welcomed addition to DTD-West.

Our Ratings of House of Blues: (*rev 2/6/2014*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The new menu is seriously disappointing. All HOB websites claim new menus by
Aaron Sanchez. Not sure if this is bragging or an apology. Supposed more Southwestern
USA and items are said to be bold-sassy-contemporary. They sadly miss. Additionally,
HOB at Disney used to be very reasonable and is now overpriced for what's on the plate.
It is still loud inside, as no acoustical aids. On the good side, the Sunday Gospel Lunch
is great for both music and food (make ressies!) .

Now, for a "Blues House", where are the blues?

I'm not gonna comment on the rumor...but I'm confused by the date you posted just prior to your review.

There is no way you reviewed the place on 2/6/2014 unless you have a time machine.

So either the date is wrong, or you plan to revise it/ revisit shortly....

Can you clarify?

. . . relocating
. . . closing it all

:thumbsup2 Rusty... you have my respect.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-at-house-of-blues-downtown-disney-west-side/

More fun food at Downtown Disney West Side – House of Blues opened their new Smokehouse, a quick-service window where it’s easy to grab a generous smoked beef brisket sandwich, pulled pork or chicken sandwich, smoked turkey leg, St. Louis half-rack of ribs or an all-beef hot dog. That’s the menu, short and sweet. And the cole slaw has just the right amount of tang, the baked beans are sweet, the bread is soft and warm, and the meat is smoked right there in the House of Blues kitchen. True Southern-style good eats.

HOB111567THUMB.jpg
HOB222876THUMB.jpg

Seating is just outside of Crossroads at House of Blues on the “Front Porch,” an expanded area with a stage for live (local) music seven nights a week. And the outdoor cocktail bar is handy – you can order from the bar and Smokehouse, or servers will wait on you in the evenings. Pair a brisket sandwich with a Swamp Water specialty drink (vodka, Blue Curaçao and orange juice) for a quick and casual bite.

HOB333678THUMB.jpg
HOB444879THUMB.jpg

The Smokehouse opens at 11:30 a.m. daily, with closing around 10 p.m. Prices range from $6.99 to $12.99 (and not on the Disney Dining Plan).
Ha... just posted today by Disney-they must read over here. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Rusty... you have my respect.

Now, technically, while HOB may close sometime in the distant future, the title of this thread is "hob closing", and the original post had no stipulation for "or maybe they are building something to add on."

A little early to celebrate.

Rusty-- no flame intended.

Now, technically, while HOB may close sometime in the distant future, the title of this thread is "hob closing", and the original post had no stipulation for "or maybe they are building something to add on."

A little early to celebrate.

Rusty-- no flame intended.
Good point. :thumbsup2

My DBF and I really enjoyed eating at House of Blues when we visited in November. I had the ribs and was actually really impressed with the food! I didn't realise it was so unpopular!

I love going to gigs there too (though they don't seem to book as good gigs as they did years ago when we first started visiting) and I think it'd be a shame to see it go!

My DBF and I really enjoyed eating at House of Blues when we visited in November. I had the ribs and was actually really impressed with the food! I didn't realise it was so unpopular! I love going to gigs there too (though they don't seem to book as good gigs as they did years ago when we first started visiting) and I think it'd be a shame to see it go!

Well the lease was re-signed, so they'll be here for at least another 5-10 years.

As for booking gigs, there is some red tape and logistics to consider. Even though House of Blues is owned by LiveNation, Disney still has the final say on if an artist can perform and what merchandise they can sell at the Orlando and Anaheim locations. Many artists have been "banned" for one reason or another (ranging from selling inappropriate merchandise after explicitly being told not to [Skeletonwitch], to calling a guest on stage to eat a Twinkie out of an inappropriate part of another person's body [Goldfinger], to just viewing an artist as inappropriate [GWAR]). Plus, The venue only has a capacity of 2,200. Some acts are too popular and can play at bigger venues nearby (Amway, Bob Carr, etc.).

Not sure where this came from, but if they are, the employee's haven't been told... I have a friend who works there and he said no one has said anything.

From my understanding, that HoB is one of the busiest in the country... Given their large corporate ownership by LiveNation, I just don't see it.

{FLAME PROOF CAPE FROM DRAWER TO MY SHOULDERS}
1) OK, so maybe I should not show so much glee.
2) But, they were always average-to-mediocre.
3) Then, they allowed Aaron Sanchez to author a new menu.
4) The taste and quality didn't go downhill - it outright dived!
5) So, they have not renewed their contract and will be leaving.
6) The "rumor" came from a solid source I know, so I trust the info.
{FLAME PROOF CAPE RETURNED TO DRAWER}

NOTE: In regards to the Gospel Luncheon, this will be missed. But, a new
eatery would be a welcomed addition to DTD-West.

Our Ratings of House of Blues: (*rev 2/6/2014*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The new menu is seriously disappointing. All HOB websites claim new menus by
Aaron Sanchez. Not sure if this is bragging or an apology. Supposed more Southwestern
USA and items are said to be bold-sassy-contemporary. They sadly miss. Additionally,
HOB at Disney used to be very reasonable and is now overpriced for what's on the plate.
It is still loud inside, as no acoustical aids. On the good side, the Sunday Gospel Lunch
is great for both music and food (make ressies!) .

Now, for a "Blues House", where are the blues?

I used to really love the HOB until they changed the menu with that Aaron Sanchez debacle. The food is so completely inauthentic for a blues restaurant. If they would bring back the old menu, I would be happy to visit there again but until then we won't be going back.

Well the lease was re-signed, so they'll be here for at least another 5-10 years.

As for booking gigs, there is some red tape and logistics to consider. Even though House of Blues is owned by LiveNation, Disney still has the final say on if an artist can perform and what merchandise they can sell at the Orlando and Anaheim locations. Many artists have been "banned" for one reason or another (ranging from selling inappropriate merchandise after explicitly being told not to [Skeletonwitch], to calling a guest on stage to eat a Twinkie out of an inappropriate part of another person's body [Goldfinger], to just viewing an artist as inappropriate [GWAR]). Plus, The venue only has a capacity of 2,200. Some acts are too popular and can play at bigger venues nearby (Amway, Bob Carr, etc.).
Ha! That's crazy, gross and sad.....I've got to try this place and I would like to catch a good show there if I can.

Exactly, They didn't just try, but succeeded for many years.

They wouldn't have closed PI if it had been a successful profit maker.

Seems more than coincidental that both PI and Church St fell on hard times as City Walk took off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter