"You’re going to Disney AGAIN? By YOURSELF?"

I get the same reaction from people. They don't understand why I keep going back to disney, and how I could travel solo. I have done Disney solo as well as a 3 week trip to Europe solo. I've gotten reactions of shock from friends, as well as from people I encounter on the trip. I figure life is what I make of it, and I'm not going to wait around for someone to go with me and possibly miss out on an opportunity. Besides, sometimes it's nice to do what I want when I want.

Thank you so much for this post! I really needed it... mostly because of the fact I have been reading a lot about people doing WDW trips solo, but they tend to be older... I am 26 now, but for my 27th birthday in September I have been thinking of gifting a trip to Disney World for myself. There are several reasons 1) I'll be in Alabama for a wedding on the 10th and would have been flying back to Seattle on the 11th which is my birthday, but why not just make a triangle... especially since 2) I have an annual park pass that I should use at least 1 more time before November when it expires. The timing just couldn't be better for me to do this. When I was there in November my ex convinced me to buy a park pass so we could come back again as he is a DVC member... problem is the relationship didn't work out... and now I have a park ticket and no one who will go with me. But why should that stop me?!! Now it is where to book the hotel - Special Offers on Disney's site has Value Resorts priced at $69 a night (Sun-Thurs) for when I'm there! That's awesome for solo travel. Thing is I know I love the Moderate Resorts for their property - just need to convince myself that the deal of $129 a night would be worth it. Not sure I can though. Where do you stay when you are there solo?

Thank you so much for this post! I really needed it... mostly because of the fact I have been reading a lot about people doing WDW trips solo, but they tend to be older... I am 26 now, but for my 27th birthday in September I have been thinking of gifting a trip to Disney World for myself. There are several reasons 1) I'll be in Alabama for a wedding on the 10th and would have been flying back to Seattle on the 11th which is my birthday, but why not just make a triangle... especially since 2) I have an annual park pass that I should use at least 1 more time before November when it expires. The timing just couldn't be better for me to do this. When I was there in November my ex convinced me to buy a park pass so we could come back again as he is a DVC member... problem is the relationship didn't work out... and now I have a park ticket and no one who will go with me. But why should that stop me?!! Now it is where to book the hotel - Special Offers on Disney's site has Value Resorts priced at $69 a night (Sun-Thurs) for when I'm there! That's awesome for solo travel. Thing is I know I love the Moderate Resorts for their property - just need to convince myself that the deal of $129 a night would be worth it. Not sure I can though. Where do you stay when you are there solo?

Well, I know you'll get different opinions, but when I was solo, the Moderate Resorts were the way to go. POR was my moderate of choice. I stayed at a value resort once and even though I'm a cheapskate usually, I decided that spending the added money for a Moderate was definitely worth it, and never stayed at a value resort again.

Well, I know you'll get different opinions, but when I was solo, the Moderate Resorts were the way to go. POR was my moderate of choice. I stayed at a value resort once and even though I'm a cheapskate usually, I decided that spending the added money for a Moderate was definitely worth it, and never stayed at a value resort again.
I totally agree with you. It really just depends on your personality. Values tend to be louder with more going on-- more kids, more large groups, less peaceful, etc. When I stay at moderates or deluxes, I tend to roam around the property in the evening and just take in the atmosphere. Plus, values don't have a fridge (although you can get one for $10 a day) or coffee maker, which I like having both. But it's really about you, DummbGirl. If you don't plan on being at the resort much, the value is a much better deal. And remember, if you go to the value and just really don't like it, you can get transferred to a moderate during your stay (if there is availability).

Oh, and there are younger people who go on solos, so don't worry about that part. I was nervous the first time I went alone, but it took about 2.5 seconds for me to get comfortable and start having fun. You'll have a GREAT time! Just keep following the boards, look at trip reports, make "friends," and by the time September rolls around, you'll be all set! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

If you are looking to save money and will spend most of your time in the parks, I would go with a value resort. My favorite is Pop Century.

If money is not an issue and you want to spend time at your resort, I would go with a moderate. I love Port Orleans French Quarter.

You should go! I hope you have a blast.

I usually stay Mod/Deluxe. If you are worried about money, or plan to spend most time at the parks, Pop Century is fine. If you want to try a little of both, you could do a split stay (like 2 nights at Pop and then 2 nights at a Mod). Disney will move your bags for you.

As for Mods, my fav is PO-FQ. And now it has refurbed rooms! However, all the Mod rooms are essentially the same, except for theming.

I get the same reaction here....so much so, I just stopped telling people where I go. Plus, I don't need to be questioned. lol

In any case, sometimes I'm in a condo (having a car is really nice!!) and do visit family or visit sometihng else. I've been in both a moderate and a value.

I thought I wouldn't like a value but decided upon POP for their own bs service and it really is a good choice. I didn't really hear loud voices/screaming children/families at all. Then again, I was in the parks all day. :goodvibes The bus service was good too and tie-dye cheesecake, who can beat it!!

I've never done a deluxe solo, just doesn't seem to worth the price for such an extravangance.

I'm a late bloomer, deciding to go solo & first-time disney trip for my bday back in March 2009 and just never turned back.

Most of my trips are solo, but certainly have enough meet-ups w/podcast, mags and other people I met through disboards and twitter. :wizard:

Since I live in SoCal I usually go to DL everyother weekend and sometimes more. This year I have visited WDW once but I have two other trips planned within the next six months. I've also gone on two Disney Cruises this year with one scheduled for September and one early next year and with the exception of the WDW trips ALL of these trips are solo. Needless to say I get the same reaction but I wouldn't change a thing except maybe finding someone who enjoys Disney as much do.

hows the planning coming along JB ??!!??:goodvibes

The few times I've gone solo for a few hours(while on vacation with other people, but the chose to stay at the hotel), I've taken my camera and just taken photos for hours. I just get lost in my photography and take in and breath in every minute I'm there.

I get the same response from people when they find out I am going to Disneyworld again. Me( 24) and my husband( 26) usually go at least twice a year and we always get the why don't you go somewhere else questions from people. We have also cruised with Disney, got married at WDW and are visiting the new Aulani resort in Hawaii next year. I just think if I am going to vacation, why not do it with Disney because it is what I love!

Pretty good! August is pretty much done, I just booked the MK dessert party yesterday, so excited about that.

I am also planning a solo trip from Oct 7-10, to take in F&W (never been) and 40th celebration (I'm sure they'll do something). Alas, I won't be able to attend the Halloween Party. Oh well, next year!

hows the planning coming along JB ??!!??:goodvibes

Pretty good! August is pretty much done, I just booked the MK dessert party yesterday, so excited about that.

I am also planning a solo trip from Oct 7-10, to take in F&W (never been) and 40th celebration (I'm sure they'll do something). Alas, I won't be able to attend the Halloween Party. Oh well, next year!

Welcome to the solo club! :thumbsup2

I too go 3-4+ times a year, mostly solo. And for the sake of my sanity I have stopped posting on FB & telling certain people when I am going- just couldn't handle the "you were just there! you don't have any kids! my kids have never gone once! How can you be there again!, Don't you feel stupid?" comments.

I went in Feb w/DH, snuck back in May on a Solo for Destination D, and am heading back for solo's for F&W and the food and wine classic Oct 4-11, If you like food you will love F&W!
Reunion/Dispolooza Dec 6-13, and Jan for marathon. All of which I will be keeping very low key from my judgmental family & friends. I feel like an addict hiding my stash :lmao:

One thing I found is that although I travel alone I am rarely alone in the parks- I have made so many wonderfull friends over the years who are either local or who travel for the same events.Thank you DIS :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter