You know those 24 points we are allowed to buy?

vellamint

DIS Veteran
I am little shaky on if I understand this correctly....here is my situation.

I need 280 points for the accommodations I would like.....my use year is August.

I will have 55 points banked in March 2011, I will receive 200 points on August 1, 2011.....

Grand total 255.

Can I purchase those 24 points and then borrow the ONE point more I will need from my next years points? Or since I am actually able to borrow the entire 25 points from my next year will they NOT allow me to purchase the 24 points?

Thank you......just trying to keep up and fairly new at this.

OOps....one more question.....I am booking my home resort at the 11 month mark....but my son really wants another resort that I will waitlist for at the 7 month mark. The son's resort only requires 254 points.....what happens then to the 24 points I have purchase.....I believe the 1 point I will have needed to borrow has to be used in that current use year.

You can not purchase the 24 one time use points until you are within the 7 month window. They do not allow the one time use points during the 11 month priority booking window.

Oh.....

Then if I borrow the 25 points from my next use year.....to bring my needed total up to the 280 I need......and then downsize my reservation.....will they use the borrowed points towards the reservation first and then the current years points...my understanding is that once you borrow points you cant return them.

Hope that made sense...

Oh.....

The if I borrow the 25 points from my next use year.....to bring my needed total up to the 280 I need......and then downsize my reservation.....will they use the borrowed points towards the reservation first and then the current years points...

Hope that made sense...

You'll need to remind MS that you borrowed points and to use those first. Hopefully, you will still be within your banking window to bank the extras you don't need.

You'll need to remind MS that you borrowed points and to use those first. Hopefully, you will still be within your banking window to bank the extras you don't need.

Okay great.....will definitely still be in the banking window as it is an early August trip and our use years is August.....trip will be over before our banking window is closed.

I am little shaky on if I understand this correctly....here is my situation.

I need 280 points for the accommodations I would like.....my use year is August.

I will have 55 points banked in March 2011, I will receive 200 points on August 1, 2011.....

Grand total 255.

Can I purchase those 24 points and then borrow the ONE point more I will need from my next years points? Or since I am actually able to borrow the entire 25 points from my next year will they NOT allow me to purchase the 24 points?

Thank you......just trying to keep up and fairly new at this.

OOps....one more question.....I am booking my home resort at the 11 month mark....but my son really wants another resort that I will waitlist for at the 7 month mark. The son's resort only requires 254 points.....what happens then to the 24 points I have purchase.....I believe the 1 point I will have needed to borrow has to be used in that current use year.

You may only borrow one use year ahead, so the borrowing question depends on the dates of your vacation.

With an August use year, you are currently in your 2010 use year. That goes 81/10 - 7/31/2011.

So if you have 55 banked points (from your 2009 use year, and the 200 points from your 2010 use year, and your vacation falls within your 2010 use year, you may borrow up to 200 points from your 2011 use year to reserve a March 2011 vacation.

As already mentioned, the 24 one time use points can only be used after the 7 month window opens.

My understanding is that if you cancel a reservation made with the 24 one time use points, you lose them. Could be wrong. Hoping someone who has actually done that will confirm or correct. I am 100% certain that the one-time use points cannot be banked.

You may only borrow one use year ahead, so the borrowing question depends on the dates of your vacation.

With an August use year, you are currently in your 2010 use year. That goes 81/10 - 7/31/2011.

So if you have 55 banked points (from your 2009 use year, and the 200 points from your 2010 use year, and your vacation falls within your 2010 use year, you may borrow up to 200 points from your 2011 use year to reserve a March 2011 vacation.

As already mentioned, the 24 one time use points can only be used after the 7 month window opens.

My understanding is that if you cancel a reservation made with the 24 one time use points, you lose them. Could be wrong. Hoping someone who has actually done that will confirm or correct. I am 100% certain that the one-time use points cannot be banked.

Yes, canceling a reservation you would lose them, but just changing resorts they will probably use them for the new reservation.....

I will have 55 banked points from this current use year...I will bank them by March 2011. Thanks....I had wanted to buy the 24 points so I wouldnt have to borrow but I dont think that will happen because I dont have the nerve to wait until the 7 month mark to make my reservation....I am a chicken.

Just an FYI for someone reading this who is interested in the 24 one time points thing - I just made a reservation buying one time points last week. If you cancel the reservation, you still have the points you bought - but they must be used within the use year for which you purchased them to be used in the original reservation. No banking allowed. So - as long as you had enough time / opportunity in that particular use year - you can use the one time points for another reservation. This was explained in detail by MS before I made the one time purchase.

If you have points you can borrow, I would not buy the points, just borrow, and then when there is nothing left to borrow, thats when I would buy the 24!!

:) But if I borrow from the next UY, I will not have enough points for that trip. :rolleyes:

I will have 55 banked points from this current use year...I will bank them by March 2011. Thanks....I had wanted to buy the 24 points so I wouldnt have to borrow but I dont think that will happen because I dont have the nerve to wait until the 7 month mark to make my reservation....I am a chicken.

Since you are looking to change resorts anyway, could you book all but the one night that would be required for borrowing?

This way, at the 7 month mark, you could either try to add the one night back (by buying the points) or getting the other resort?

Just a thought!

Not sure where you are wanting to stay, but if you have to purchase 24 points, you might look at just paying cash for one night, it might come out less. Especially with all the discounts Disney is offering.

We always borrow a few points each year, I mean in the end is it really going to matter. I might at some point considering purchasing 5 points or less, but if I needed 24 each trip I would either be borrowing or shortening the trip to make it work with my points.

If i was borrowing 24 points each year i would looking to buy 24 more points from DVC... You may be able to only add 50pts as a min but if it were me, i would buy the 50 pt add on and add another day to the resv to use up the left over...

If this is a one time need, why see if someone is willing to transfer you points? Many have a minimum or all their points, but then you could bank some of your original UY points for next years trip. :teacher:

We just bought in June and were never told about these 24 points. Was that a special thing or is that available to all DVC members?
How much do you pay per point?

We just bought in June and were never told about these 24 points. Was that a special thing or is that available to all DVC members?
How much do you pay per point?

This is something new, maybe Spring of this year. If you are making reservations 7 months or less and find yourself a few points short (up to 24) for the reservation, you can buy them from MS for $15 each.

These are one time points and can not be banked, borrowed, or transferred. If the original reservation is cancelled, those points expire at the end of that UY.

They can not be used during the home resort booking period.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter