You Want to Go Where? A 4th of July Weekend PTR

He doesn't get to go anywhere???:rotfl2:

Well... truly he doesn't. Since school is out of his bedroom. (he does online schooling) and he has few friends AND he is not involved in any extracurricular activities... he barely leaves his room. :rolleyes:

I think your plans for the surprise sound great!! Hopefully the weather is nice and hot when you leave so your A/C story works out! :laughing:

Ugh, I hope your reservation number/pizza coupon works out! It's always the littlest thing that gets me like "it's the principal of the thing! I want my pizza!". So yes, I totally understand! :laughing:.

Well... truly he doesn't. Since school is out of his bedroom. (he does online schooling) and he has few friends AND he is not involved in any extracurricular activities... he barely leaves his room. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a teenage boy, but mom does take him to WDW! I really hope that the surprise works out and Zach/Alex gets to go...I really like the idea of brother bonding time late in the parks!

Ahhh! The hotel/breaking the news plans sound so exciting! Everything is just planned so perfectly and I can't wait for Zoe to flip out!

How strange that most of the houses don't have AC. Sure AC is a MUST here in good ol'd AZ, but you would think that heat + humidity would necessitate AC as well!

I think your plans for the surprise sound great!! Hopefully the weather is nice and hot when you leave so your A/C story works out! :laughing:

Ugh, I hope your reservation number/pizza coupon works out! It's always the littlest thing that gets me like "it's the principal of the thing! I want my pizza!". So yes, I totally understand! :laughing:.

:rotfl: If it isn't hot... we can always say.. "oh, the rain... all it does is RAIN! Lets go to a hotel so we can at least pretend it is nice out and swim."

Sounds good, yes? :rotfl2:

And... i was given a call back with a gift card number and pin...so I should be able to get a pizza while on the trip. :banana: not a great pizza mind you... but it will be some food.
Sounds like a teenage boy, but mom does take him to WDW! I really hope that the surprise works out and Zach/Alex gets to go...I really like the idea of brother bonding time late in the parks!

The more I think about it, the more I think both will be happier to stay at home. Zach and I are square again. He texted me back and forth yesterday. He has decided to move out with someone in his squad so he is closer to the armory. (we live about an hour + away... but ironically, Zach's armory is less than a mile down the road from where Steve works..down the EXACT road) I think his cranky behavior was because he was torn/conflicted. I think he feels bad. He asked me "so, your not losing money?" :scratchin well? So in his texts he went back and forth. He tells me in one text that he thinks he can go.. and then in a few later tells me he is just not sure how he can make it work. In the end though... he told me to not cancel anything until he gets back. Thing that is weighing on me though... ticket prices went up.... and I can still find some NOW at the old price. Next week... I am not so sure I will be able to. In my store closest to me... they had all the adult ones at the old price removed. Another store not far from me had stacks of them....but how long until a rep comes in and takes them? :confused3 I am seriously thinking of ordering for Zoe, Steve and I and then IF Zach can go having him pick up the ones for he and Alex with the military discount. I planned to pay $500 for the 5... it is just a bit more than $600 for the 3 of us... so I am not paying too much more than I anticipated.

Ahhh! The hotel/breaking the news plans sound so exciting! Everything is just planned so perfectly and I can't wait for Zoe to flip out!

How strange that most of the houses don't have AC. Sure AC is a MUST here in good ol'd AZ, but you would think that heat + humidity would necessitate AC as well!

When we first moved to Western WA, we asked all the time "does the house have ac" when we were looking. People thought we were crazy. We were told... it doesn't get hot enough here. :rotfl: Well, a summer of 70 to 90 heat is warm enough for me!! I would like ac.. but :confused:

All caught up now...I'm so sorry about all the stuff with Zach (and please, I hope I have your boys names right :rolleyes:) and not knowing what's happening. That's a pain... On the plus, though, I'm glad you get to spend so little of your day travelling. I have to say that is one benefit of being on the east coast; the flight to WDW is under three hours! :goodvibes

Planning for DLR sounds a little confusing. So much so, I'm not sure I'd be up for it, especially given the cost/length of a flight from here to there and back again.

I LOVE your plans to surprise the kids. I wish I could keep a secret like that, but I can't. :rolleyes1

There is something in the water, because a friend of ours has decided to surprise their kids with a trip to WDW at Christmas and want me to plan it...although I am not so sure they are up to my style of touring! They are way too laid back and sleep in way too much and stay up way too late!

I don't think you are rambling Ann, but of course I am used to it after about 18 months of your posts! :rotfl:

:rotfl: Hahaha I think we all ramble!!!

As to the trip name...do you think we will take on WDW and win...my bet is WDW has not seen the likes of 8 OCD planners together at the same time!:rotfl2:

I think WDW should be scared!!!! Lol

So in last nights ramblings, I mentioned that I was trying to figure out what do do the night before we flew out. You see, that was Steve's suggestion. When I realized that surprising Alex and Zoe at 3am was probably not going to be the easiest of things, Steve said "why don't you just book a hotel for the night before so we don't have to drive so early" :idea:

Truly, I didn't want to add the additional cost. I think that is going to be a recurrent theme in this PTR, sorry. But... I have trip to the world and every time I spend money on this trip... I just fear it takes away from money for fall. Honestly, I don't think it is the case. That is MY trip and this one is OUR trip and remember was Steves idea.

So after much debating with myself I booked a night here. The rate was not much more than the place the guys used before their florida trip a few months ago. (a place that had a robbery attempt while they were there :eek:) Plus, for booking and being a member of their loyalty club, you get a coupon for a free pizza (it is suppose to be emailed to me and will be good for a place down in Anaheim) This place has a pretty nice pool and as I mentioned is near a family fun center. All in all, I am pretty happy with my decision. :goodvibes.

Sounds like a pretty sound decision to me. The hotel looks great@

Thanks! I will definitely have the camera handy!

On a side note... as if anything for me is easy lately. I noticed I had not received my promo code for pizza (that I plan to use in CA) for booking this hotel. My email confirmation showed my members number... but when I logged in on the hotel co. site... it showed no upcoming reservations for me. :faint:

After a couple calls and a very long time on hold, I got through to someone who understood what I was talking about. They have NO idea why my members number is not being associated with the reservation since in order to even book the reservation I had to enter my members number to get the rate I did. They could not manually enter in my members number. I can at check in apply it, but that doesn't help me with my pizza promo code. :rotfl: I laugh cause it is enough to MAYBE buy one pizza...and a cheap pizza at that. However, it was something that made me choose this hotel over another so I think I should get the darn pizza.

So they are looking into what ever glitch has happened in their system (again..how could I get the member rate if my membership was never used) and get me a promo code for the pizza.

Again... why are things just not going so easily for me. :rotfl2:

On the plus side though, as I sat on hold (barely listening to the looping advertising) I may have heard that for early risers they have breakfast packs to go. :scratchin That would be kinda cool... :idea: then I wouldn't have to get breakfast at the airport.

Maybe this week will be better. You just needed to put her head down and say "lalala" to everyone last week!

All caught up now...I'm so sorry about all the stuff with Zach (and please, I hope I have your boys names right :rolleyes:) and not knowing what's happening. That's a pain... On the plus, though, I'm glad you get to spend so little of your day travelling. I have to say that is one benefit of being on the east coast; the flight to WDW is under three hours! :goodvibes

Planning for DLR sounds a little confusing. So much so, I'm not sure I'd be up for it, especially given the cost/length of a flight from here to there and back again.

I LOVE your plans to surprise the kids. I wish I could keep a secret like that, but I can't. :rolleyes1

Yes, you have the names right. Zach is in the military. ;)

It is a plus that DLR is so close. It is close enough that I know more people who have drove there than fly. (which is still a LONG drive, but... people do it. :rolleyes:)

I am not sure the planning is confusing. I just may be making it confusing. ;) It is different though.

I think the plan to surprise Zoe will be fun. I figure I can wait 3 weeks... if it was much longer I think I would spill the beans. :rotfl:

Ann, I think the plans sound perfect (and I love Steve telling Zoe).

Thanks, I think it will be fun.

Maybe this week will be better. You just needed to put her head down and say "lalala" to everyone last week!

I think it will be!!

Well, I broke down and bought tickets for Zoe, Steve and I. I am slightly kicking myself. I had been reading that the online vendors who still had tickets at the old prices would stop today. But... I had been reading rumors for the last week. When I went online though, sure enough... they were up. :headache: Went to my closest store that sells 3 day hoppers... and :headache: They had pulled all the old ones and replaced them with bright shiny new- cars themed - ones... at the new price. Well just on saturday, I noticed a store I worked in had a full peg of them on the gift card racks. On a hunch that they would not have pulled yet... I made the trek back there. (this morning I went to that town to shop..so driving back was not in my plans for the day :rolleyes:)

Sure enough... tons there...all at the old price. :woohoo: It was only a bit higher than the prices at the online vendors. (214 vs 211).. but way better than $250+ tax.

Now if we find that Alex is heartbroken to not go I only have to buy one more ticket (and that extra $40 won't be the end of the world... I can gamble that $40 but $160, I wasn't willing to gamble)

If when Zach gets back and decides he can go, then I will have him pay for 2 military tickets for he and his brother.

I just feel better knowing that I have tickets now for at least the three of us.

I LOVE your plan for the surprise!! That's such a great idea!! :love:

We were able to go to the AP previews on Saturday to see Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. It is absolutely amazing!! I posted a bunch of photos on Twitter if you want to see them (not sure if you're waiting to look at pics of it or not). BUT, if you have any questions about the areas, I'd be happy to help out! :)

I dont' think Ariels Grotto (I think that is the name of the restaurant) in DCA was there in 2006. I think that so many changes have happened over the last few years... even with Ariels Grotto... it did have a dinning package for the World of Color show... but if I am understanding things correctly... as of June 15th it will no longer be offered.
I hear you on the grip that WDW has. We have not been back to DLR since going to WDW. I have been reading a WDW vet guide to DL sort of thread and it brings up so many things that have been "aha" moments for me. Like when it talks about WDW vets having their vacations be a lot about the dinning where in DL... it isn't the case. WDW visitors are comprised of a high number of "out of towners" where as the high percentage of visitors to DLR comes from locals... thus there are more cs options (and better ones) in DLR than in WDW. Just goes on and on about the differences and how it is a different way of thinking at one vs. the other... and that grip.. all the things that this talks about with WDW and why people go there instead... they are all things that I tend to like.
I am pretty excited to revisit the park that started it all for me... I am sure we are going to have an excellent time. :dance3:

I just wanted to chime in about the WoC dining options. You're right, Ariel's will no longer offer the WoC dining package as of 6/15, and will move to a character dinner, as well as the current character breakfast. Wine Country Trattoria will continue to offer the pkg, and Carthay Circle will take over for Ariel's as the new place to offer the packages. At Wine Country, they have a prix-fixe menu, and at Carthay, you would just need to order an entree, and either an appetizer or dessert to qualify. Assuming you're even interested. :rotfl: It can seem as clear as mud sometimes, so I just wanted to help clarify. I'm so excited for you that you're going back to your roots, so to speak. DLR has always been great, but it's really grown into its own in a whole new way over the last few years.

Oh, and Garden Grill back in the Paradise Pier area has SUPER yummy CS options. The steak w/chimichurri tastes just like the offering they have at the Argentina booth during Epcot's F&W Festival. So good!! :goodvibes

I LOVE your plan for the surprise!! That's such a great idea!! :love:

We were able to go to the AP previews on Saturday to see Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. It is absolutely amazing!! I posted a bunch of photos on Twitter if you want to see them (not sure if you're waiting to look at pics of it or not). BUT, if you have any questions about the areas, I'd be happy to help out! :)

I just wanted to chime in about the WoC dining options. You're right, Ariel's will no longer offer the WoC dining package as of 6/15, and will move to a character dinner, as well as the current character breakfast. Wine Country Trattoria will continue to offer the pkg, and Carthay Circle will take over for Ariel's as the new place to offer the packages. At Wine Country, they have a prix-fixe menu, and at Carthay, you would just need to order an entree, and either an appetizer or dessert to qualify. Assuming you're even interested. :rotfl: It can seem as clear as mud sometimes, so I just wanted to help clarify. I'm so excited for you that you're going back to your roots, so to speak. DLR has always been great, but it's really grown into its own in a whole new way over the last few years.

Oh, and Garden Grill back in the Paradise Pier area has SUPER yummy CS options. The steak w/chimichurri tastes just like the offering they have at the Argentina booth during Epcot's F&W Festival. So good!! :goodvibes

I really appreciate your help. I am use to planning WDW way... a package at a resort hotel with the dp and making ADRS 180 days prior to the day.

I need to find the menu for Carthay... I know it is new. Do you think the package for WoC is worth it? I have decided the dessert fantastic priority seating is not. Am I wrong?

I think one major thing I will have to change my thinking on is cs... I know DL and DCA have many more good options in that regard. Hmm... steak with chimichurri sounds yummy! And is a cs? I will put that on my list. See... with things being cs... I won't have to "plan" ahead for them. The way I figure... if we are in the mood for something..we stop.. and if not... we don't. Not like at WDW where I pretty much plan even our cs meals bases on where we will be in the parks.

Ann, glad you were able to find the tickets at the old price. You are right...$40 is a lot better than $160 when you buy for Alex.

Ann, glad you were able to find the tickets at the old price. You are right...$40 is a lot better than $160 when you buy for Alex.

Isn't it... and honestly, I doubt he will go so I don't think I will have to shell out the "extra" $40. I really was looking forward to the 5 of us again on a trip... and at the beginning it even looked like it might be all 7 of us. Oh well... 3 will be fun and easier to move around the parks with.

:woohoo: Your trip is coming together nicely! :thumbsup2 I love the fact that you were able to get tickets at the old prices!
Disney's price jump on tickets this year was a bit over the top, wasn't it? Thank god I was able to renew our APs ahead of time last year. ;)
I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you, so Zach and Alex can come too. ;)

:woohoo: Your trip is coming together nicely! :thumbsup2 I love the fact that you were able to get tickets at the old prices!
Disney's price jump on tickets this year was a bit over the top, wasn't it? Thank god I was able to renew our APs ahead of time last year. ;)
I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you, so Zach and Alex can come too. ;)

It is. It will be here soon too.

I don't really watch price increases... in previous years it always seemed to be fairly small amount. This year... at least at DLR... it is pretty substantial. I just assumed that it was just that bad at DLR to help pay for the DCA exapansion... Course... I guess WDW does have the fantasyland expansion...

Honestly, however it turns out with the boys... I will be fine.

Pro to them going.. well...:woohoo: we get to spend time together. I won't have to stress out about what to do with their airfare. I wont' have to either hurt Alex's feelings by not bringing him or worry that I might have. The guys can do "guy" things. The guys can stay out late at the parks together... I could go on.

Pros to them not going... I would not have to worry about the guys fighting(oddly, those boys of mine are moody right now). I would have a reduced food cost. I could spend one on one time with Steve and Zoe. I wouldn't have to worry about being crammed into a smallish room with my two large sons. (both are much bigger than Steve) I would have less people to managed the expectations of.

See, so each outcome has positives that the other doesn't. It will be a good trip no matter what.

I really appreciate your help. I am use to planning WDW way... a package at a resort hotel with the dp and making ADRS 180 days prior to the day.

I need to find the menu for Carthay... I know it is new. Do you think the package for WoC is worth it? I have decided the dessert fantastic priority seating is not. Am I wrong?

I think one major thing I will have to change my thinking on is cs... I know DL and DCA have many more good options in that regard. Hmm... steak with chimichurri sounds yummy! And is a cs? I will put that on my list. See... with things being cs... I won't have to "plan" ahead for them. The way I figure... if we are in the mood for something..we stop.. and if not... we don't. Not like at WDW where I pretty much plan even our cs meals bases on where we will be in the parks.

We'll be at Carthay Circle Theater this weekend, we're trying out both lunch & dinner, so I'll report back if we think it's worth the cost for the pkg along with photos of the menus. I'm SO excited!! :banana:

We used to always do Ariel's for the WoC package, and that was worth it. Wine Country was just meh when we tried it, so we haven't been back there in a long time. If you wanted to take the time to have a nice dinner, and meander over to your viewing spot, then yes, it's worth it. If you plan to be hustling most of the time, then I'd say just get a FP for it in the morning.

Like you said, there are so many good CS choices at DL, so yes, you can pretty much stop where ever you're at when you get hungry and find something good. Hungry Bear is one of those that's often overlooked, but it has good food and great scenery while you eat. They have a fried green tomato sandwich w/sweet potato fries and a lemon honey cupcake that is nothing but tasty!

Jolly Holiday Bakery is a great CS option for a snack or a meal. I posted a review of that one on my blog when they first opened a few months ago. And another one HERE cuz we visited again a few weeks after the opening. :rolleyes1 (shameless plug alert)

I tried to write more about the CS options to share with you, but then I realized I was just praising every place! lol

I would forego the Fantasmic! dessert party. It's over-priced, IMO. I would just say to try to catch the 2nd showing if your daughter can hold out until then, and search out a spot closer to the HM side. It's usually less crowded over there. You can get beignets to go at the Mint Julep bar and make your own dessert party (the bar is between New Orleans RR station & the French Market).

If you want an infamous Monte Cristo, I'd recommend Cafe Orleans over Blue Bayou. You can get pommes frites (fantastic garlic fries) at Cafe Orleans and everything is cheaper there - at BB you're just paying for the atmosphere and the wait staff is never very good.

One place I would say is not to miss is the Plaza Inn. Their Breakfast w/Minnie & Friends is our favorite character meal at the resort. It's a great option and has a TON of characters. However, if you don't want the character meal option, their lunch and/or dinner has fabulous fried chicken, a delicious cobb salad and fantastic dessert options.
ETA: For a great way to watch the fireworks without fighting the crowds, grab dinner here about 45 minutes before the show, and sit outside. Just try to get a decent view of the castle (i.e. close to the bushes by the hub, or further back by the Main St. shops).

And then one other thing while I'm on my tangent. Corn Dogs. If you've had them at DL, then you already know what I'm talking about. If not, holy cow. You NEED to try one. There's a red corn dog cart on Main St. (near Kodak & the Plaza Inn) if you're at DL, and in DCA, there's a Corn Dog Castle on Paradise Pier (near the Golden Zephyrs). Those are the only 2 places you can get them. So stinkin' good.

In case you're wondering; yes, we pretty much just go to eat. :love:

We'll be at Carthay Circle Theater this weekend, we're trying out both lunch & dinner, so I'll report back if we think it's worth the cost for the pkg along with photos of the menus. I'm SO excited!! :banana:

We used to always do Ariel's for the WoC package, and that was worth it. Wine Country was just meh when we tried it, so we haven't been back there in a long time. If you wanted to take the time to have a nice dinner, and meander over to your viewing spot, then yes, it's worth it. If you plan to be hustling most of the time, then I'd say just get a FP for it in the morning.

Like you said, there are so many good CS choices at DL, so yes, you can pretty much stop where ever you're at when you get hungry and find something good. Hungry Bear is one of those that's often overlooked, but it has good food and great scenery while you eat. They have a fried green tomato sandwich w/sweet potato fries and a lemon honey cupcake that is nothing but tasty!

Jolly Holiday Bakery is a great CS option for a snack or a meal. I posted a review of that one on my blog when they first opened a few months ago. And another one HERE cuz we visited again a few weeks after the opening. :rolleyes1 (shameless plug alert)

I tried to write more about the CS options to share with you, but then I realized I was just praising every place! lol

I would forego the Fantasmic! dessert party. It's over-priced, IMO. I would just say to try to catch the 2nd showing if your daughter can hold out until then, and search out a spot closer to the HM side. It's usually less crowded over there. You can get beignets to go at the Mint Julep bar and make your own dessert party (the bar is between New Orleans RR station & the French Market).

If you want an infamous Monte Cristo, I'd recommend Cafe Orleans over Blue Bayou. You can get pommes frites (fantastic garlic fries) at Cafe Orleans and everything is cheaper there - at BB you're just paying for the atmosphere and the wait staff is never very good.

One place I would say is not to miss is the Plaza Inn. Their Breakfast w/Minnie & Friends is our favorite character meal at the resort. It's a great option and has a TON of characters. However, if you don't want the character meal option, their lunch and/or dinner has fabulous fried chicken, a delicious cobb salad and fantastic dessert options.
ETA: For a great way to watch the fireworks without fighting the crowds, grab dinner here about 45 minutes before the show, and sit outside. Just try to get a decent view of the castle (i.e. close to the bushes by the hub, or further back by the Main St. shops).

And then one other thing while I'm on my tangent. Corn Dogs. If you've had them at DL, then you already know what I'm talking about. If not, holy cow. You NEED to try one. There's a red corn dog cart on Main St. (near Kodak & the Plaza Inn) if you're at DL, and in DCA, there's a Corn Dog Castle on Paradise Pier (near the Golden Zephyrs). Those are the only 2 places you can get them. So stinkin' good.

In case you're wondering; yes, we pretty much just go to eat. :love:

You have given me a lot of food for thought :rotfl: Seriously though.. THANK YOU. When we last were in DL, the food was not impressive to us. The two places we dinned were Blue Bayou and Wine Country. Both seemed to be the only good options. Even cs seemed to be lacking (except for I do remember liking the Mission sponsored Mexican restaurant near BTMRR)

Your blog... ok, so I WILL be going back to read it. :thumbsup2

Food is always an important aspect in our travels... It will be fun to try some of the newer options at DL. So... are things made on site more now? I notice you mentioned on your blog (yes, I peeked :rolleyes1) that the sandwich at Jolly Holiday was premade. We are not necessarily fans of premade...but you did say it was good.

Yay for buying tickets! Super yay for getting them for the old price!!

:banana: I know, right?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter