Your perceptions of VWL???

las3888

DIS Veteran
DH and I are going on a last-minute getaway next week and were surprised to find VWL available (we own at BWV and we mostly stay there, but have ventured to OKW once as well). We have stayed at WL once, and liked it well enough, but we didn't venture to the villa side at all. Any thoughts on your stay at VWL (good or bad) would be interesting to us...we really have heard very little about this home away from home. We did request a lakeside room, having read to do that in one of our books. Other than that, we have no idea what to expect...thoughts???

Very quiet...feels like you are a million miles away from the parks, yet you are very close to the MK.

We love it.

Don't count on getting the view you requested however. You may be better off asking to have something close to the elevators when you check in. That way you don't have to trek down what my family calls "the hall that never ends".

I guess alot of it has to do with how you liked WL. The villas are very quiet, very woodsy and very relaxing. It is everything that BWV is not. I own at both, I love both. I just love getting caught up in the mood that VWL creates, down to the western music and the crickets chirping.

We liked WL well enough - I think our complaints were that it was sort of dark, but anywhere you can end up with a dark room. I did really like the theming and the music. Do you go through the main lodge to get to your rooms (so I can hear the music :) ) or do you have a separate entrance for the villas? If so, I am wondering if it feels second-rate in comparison to the great atmosphere when you go through the WL lobby??? Also what are the different views? I know my guide book said to request lakeside, but it seems this is pretty popular. What does that really entail? If we don't get that, what would the view consist of? How many stories is the resort and are there any advantages to being on a higher or lower floor?

We are pretty familiar with the long hallways (remember, we own at BWV :flower: ) but since we don't have DS with us on this trip, we probably won't mind the long walk. Is it as long as the BWV hallways?

We are looking forward to it, and it's exciting trying something new! Any other tidbits or observations are welcome!

DH & I have stayed at WL a few times, but never the VWLs. I can't imagine the "feel" of them is much different though. I find the deeper colors kind of "cozy". I think the overall feel of the resort is very serene and relaxing. The villas are right next to the lodge...you can go through the lodge's lobby or you can cut off to get to the villas without going through the lobby. Based on their location, most of the villas seem like they would have a woddsy view...maybe some of the lake, but the way they are situated on the property, there is nothing that I would consider "lakefront"...probably more like "stand on the deck and look through those trees and there's the lake".

DH and I spent a couple of very nice,cozy couples romantic stays at the WL. I odn't think you'll be disappointed.

Hi,

Love VWL!!!!! Relaxing! Have fun!!

Ms. Sparrow aka Allison

Dh and I love VWL, in fact if we win the power ball tonight, we're buying points there!! It is very quiet and peaceful. You can hear the music on the villas side as well (and you can hear it on MouseHouse Radio at live 365 every Friday morning - makes Friday's worth going to work for :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc ) Last Oct Dh and I had a one bedroom at the end of the "short Hall" to the right out of the elevator on the third floor. At that end of the villas it is only three floors. Really great place.
You'll love it.

Another VWL lover here!

As for the lake view, you probably need to be on the top floor to see it.

VWL is very peaceful and relaxing. We like the darker colors because it is cozy. We tend to sleep in instead of beng up at park openings, so the rooms at VWL dont let the light shine in quite so bright as other DVC resorts. Of course the blinds need to be closed for this to work :sunny:

Take advantage of all the VWL has to offer, like the quite nooks in the Iron Spike Room for one.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy!

We've stayed twice at WL and once at VWL. We really love the resort. The villas side is very quiet, and peaceful. The place is beautiful, well worth staying at atleast once to try it. And I'm sure we'll be back to VWL again sometime soon. ;)

Thanks all! I am really looking forward to this. I'm glad to hear it is quiet and we will take advantage of the darker rooms for sleeping too.

Jimmytammy, what is the Iron Spike Room?

lsuttigger2, is this the same as Radio Disney? I haven't checked it out yet, or is this XM radio or something like that?

We love it so much we are afraid to venture to any other WDW resorts...very relaxing, great for walks, biking, swimming. BUT... we do not have little ones. Even though it doesn't have the dramatic main pool all the children staying (and swimming) there seem to be having a fabulous time as well! It's always a relaxing change of pace from the parks. We can't say enough good things about VWL.

When you enter the Villas lobby area, if you go to the right you will see a room that has chairs, couches, tables for playing checkers and lots of pics on walls about railroads. Walt Disneys personal train from his backyard.....there are two of the cars on display in this room. Very quiet....nice place to take a nap ;)

This is the Iron Spike Room

Love the Iron Spike room. I don't even mind doing laundry in the laundry room when we stay there because I just curl up in one of the nooks off the lobby/iron spike room with a good book. SOOOO relaxing.

VWL is our home resort, and we find it to be a very nice stay. We have stayed at all the VC resorts and find WL to be our favorite. With the grand entrance, the boat ride to MK, the quiet pool and the nice walks on the nature/bike trail. pirate:

Expect solitude. . .without missing the Disney magic given that MK is a short boat ride away.

Expect a relaxed ambience. . .from the music of Aaron Copland and classic westerns to the feel of a country lodge, everything is well-themed and harmonious.

Expect good food. . .we love Artist Point, and if you've never eaten there, give it a try.

Expect a less crowded pool and hot tub. . .the Hidden Springs pool and hot tub are right behind the Villas and never as crowded as the main pool.

Expect a second lobby to welcome you home. . .the Iron Spike Room actually is a second lobby on the ground floor of the Villas. There are no CMs or guest relations or check-in areas, just a large fireplace, game tables, overstuffed chairs and couches, rocking chairs, and quiet nooks to read a book or take a nap as one poster said.

Expect to exercise well. . .if you want. The Sturdy Branches exercise facility is just off the Iron Spike Room if you feel like you need to work off some extra calories. Or you can take the nearly one-mile long walk to FW via the main path or along the nature trail that starts next to the bike and boat rental dock.

Expect a big smile on your face. . .as you take the boat over to MK and see Cindy's Castle come into view on a bright, clear morning. Or on the way back to VWL, take a look at the main lobby area and the floors and parapets above it which look just like the face of a bear if viewed just right.

These are but a few reasons we can't wait to get back to VWL. :earsboy:

las3888 said:
Do you go through the main lodge to get to your rooms (so I can hear the music :) ) or do you have a separate entrance for the villas? If so, I am wondering if it feels second-rate in comparison to the great atmosphere when you go through the WL lobby???
You can go through the main lodge, but you really would be going out of your way to do so. VWL has its own entrance, and it is certainly not second rate in any way! No, it does not have a 7 story immense lobby...it is cozier and more of a retreat, and all the amenities of WL are very close at hand.

Its like staying at WL with some high end rooms, reserved exclusively in a separate part of the Lodge.

As for the lake view, I wouldn't sweat it all that much. I understand the hurricane did a number on many of the trees, but still the view will be primarily of trees for the vast majority of the rooms.

Have a great trip! :)

I was blown away by the lobby from day one. When we decided to buy DVC there was no question what resort we were buying.

The great thing about VWL is you can spend a busy day at the parks and go back to VWL and you'd never know you're at WDW. It is a great place to get away from all the crowds and noise of the parks. It is so quite and peacefull. We absolutely love the resort, that's why we bought our points there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter