your rental point comparison is wrong.

soildr

Earning My Ears
I keep reading that people are upset that
1.people have made investment out of renting points.
2. the value of these point being $10/per point.

The debate is that we are giving away our investment by letting a renter have a room for $80/night. This is not correct.

The way I see it is that the DVC liturature says that the average 7 night stay at BW will be 210 points for a one bedroom which sould equate to 105 for a studio. So at $10/point it would cost $150/night.

This is about what Dixie Landing would cost.

I agree It's compairing apples to oranges, but give the advanced planning, risk, and lack of maid service its not a complete steal.

The rental market is not that great. I feel this problem is greatly overstated on theis board.

The majority of rentals on E-Bay and here seem to be studios for only Su-Th rentals. These run about 8-14 points per night so folks are paying $80-$140 a night for a studio at a DVC resort. If they were renting entire weeks and a variety of room sizes (like normal usage would) we'd have no problem at all. Maybe we don't now but I think DVC should take a look at whether usage patterns are changing or not.

I will re-post my opinion on this subject here in the hopes that this can remain a civilized discussion and that some good conclusions can come out of it. (The thread I posted it on was rightfully closed because of some posters who didn't adhere to the guidelines).

Trying to fight a free market is like swimming against the current.

Free market regulates itself. $10/point may sound low to us for purely sentimental value. We see it as having a higher value, but the truth is, it covers our annual costs including annual dues,original investentt, lost interest, etc.
Moreover..we, as members, are actually paying about $10/point to stay in a DVC resort. Why is it fair for us and nort for renters? OK..granted, we have a 42 year commitment, dues to pay and so on, but renters don't have any flexibility when going to a DVC resort..it is a matter of pure luck to find a date you might want for rent.
Availability of rented points is not so big. It is a random thing and either you get lucky and find exactly what you were looking for (for rent), or you just grab whatever you find for the price. We, DVC members choose when to go!!!!

Renting is a reassuring option when we buy DVC because you can never be sure you will be able to go every year, and it is nice to know you won't necessarily lose your money if you can't go.

We, in the DVC board are just a small percentage of DVC owners, and, although we have some influence, it is not enough as to drive the renting price up. Maybe it is enough to raise the price in the DIS renting boards for a little while, but there will always be somebody who really needs to rent the points and will go for $10 or less, driving the price down. (Just go to a recent thread that counts the number of DVC members on this board and divide it by the total of members).

If the price per point goes up, it will give way to a great business opportunity for people to make money purely by buying DVC points and renting them out, like somebody else pointed out before.

My opinion: Manage well your points and enjoy them with your family while they last. If you can't use or bank your points, try renting them out to your family or friends, and if you can't do that eitehr..don't worry, you will get your money back by renting them out. It will not be hard at all. Only don't expect to make money off it...You won't with the current price the market forces so wisely have set.

Pretty much all problems are greatly overstated on this board. People hear a rumour about some terrible thing that's going on (renting points for profit; taking towels from the pool back to your room; not using points to stay on weekends; buying "only" 150 pts) and then wax poetic about how it's going to be the ruin of us all. Renting points is just the latest outrage du jour.

It's nobody's business how I or anyone else use our points. Unless DVC changes it (and that ain't gonna happen unless it's costing them money)renting is every bit as valid a use as any other. If someone is morally offended by the thought of "non-members" getting to use "our" resorts, they should re-think their decision to be in DVC- 'cause that's part of the program.

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter