Your smoking/non-smoking request poll

How have your smoking/non-smoking requests been met on your trips?

• I request smoking and I have always received it

• I request non-smoking and I have always received it

• I request smoking and have not received it a few times (<2)

• I request non-smoking and have not received it a few times (<2)

• I request smoking and have received it only about half the time

• I request non-smoking and have received it only about half the time

• I request smoking and have only received it a few times (2 or less)

• I request non-smoking and have only received it a few times (2 or less)

• I request smoking and I have never received it

• I request non-smoking and I have never received it

• I don't make a smoking request of any kind

Results are only viewable after voting.

zulaya

DIS Veteran
I tried to read through the thread that was many pages long about the smoking/non-smoking requests and had to give up on it. So here's a poll and am hoping to see some stats from DIS-DVCers on how their requests were met.

Thanks!

We have requested non-smoking rooms on all 10 of our trips. There has not even been an attempt to put us in a smoking room. This has not been a problem with us, and hopefully is a problem for only a few. However, if we were given a smoking room, I would probably holler as loud as everyone else who has been through it. It really is asking a huge sacrifice for non-smokers to be put into a smoking room.

28 trips to Disney and have always stayed in a non-smoking room.

We've always requested non-smoking...was always granted non-smoking, but a couple of times the rooms, though marked non-smoking, had previous occupants who DID smoke! :eek:

Housekeeping was very good about trying to correct the problem with using one of those machines that cleans the air, but we've learned that unless they actually replace the airfilter in the unit, the smell won't completely go away.

In 11 DVC trips, all were non-smoking as requested (6 OKW, 5 BWV). None had a smoking smell from a previous occupant.

I was in smoking once at CSR because they had 2 connecting rooms ready when we arrived at 8:30am. They didn't tell us they were smoking at the front desk. We decided to keep them, which we regretted. The resort did not seem crowded, we could have probably moved.

We always request non-smoking and have always gotten it.

But, same as Patabel, we had a studio at either the BWV or BCV that someone had smoked in.

They offered to spray it, but I didn't want that smell either. Since it was a short trip, we tolerated it.

I request non-smoking for medical reasons. I have always received it.

My request is actually "non-smoking for medical reasons". My request is always done in advance and I always get a non-smoking room. I was told once by a CM that the note on my ressie in the system says not to change the room. I was told that means if anyone went after the fact and tried to reassign my room to someone who checks in before me - they would not do it because of the note.

I also request non-smoking for medical reasons, and have always gotten it. We too had one trip where the room smelled of smoke and I had major asthma problems with it. They tried to clear it out for us, but I still had problems that whole trip.

I always request a smoking room, both in my regular hotel requests and the three times I've stayed DVC. As I said in the smoking thread, I have never, not even once, received a smoking room.

Edited to add: I always arrive early too, usually before 11am.

We've requested a non-smoking and gotten stuck with a non-smoking that a terribly inconsiderate smoker infiltrated, permiated and stunk up prior to our stay, causing caughing and breathing problems for us. It was horrible, there should be very, very, very stiff fines for smoking in a non-smoking room.

DVC resorts should guarantee smoking vs non-smoking or go completely non-smoking.

Originally posted by Desperado
We've requested a non-smoking and gotten stuck with a non-smoking that a terribly inconsiderate smoker infiltrated, permiated and stunk up prior to our stay, causing caughing and breathing problems for us. It was horrible, there should be very, very, very stiff fines for smoking in a non-smoking room.

DVC resorts should guarantee smoking vs non-smoking or go completely non-smoking.
Part of me wants to agree with you, but I am afraid going completely non-smoking will cause even more smokers to smoke in non-smoking rooms. I just wish they would enforce the non-smoking rooms they do have.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
Part of me wants to agree with you, but I am afraid going completely non-smoking will cause even more smokers to smoke in non-smoking rooms. I just wish they would enforce the non-smoking rooms they do have.
Perhaps a $500 fine would be useful for infractions after implementing a guaranteed room policy.

On our previous four trips, no problems getting non-smoking. I always add this to our reservations when making the reservation. We were in a smoking room that had recently been turned into a non-smoking room at POR, which we were informed of at checkin. It had a slight deodorizer smell, but it wasn't too bad at all. However, I did have a problem at Pop Century a few weeks ago. I was so upset, I even sent a letter to the resort manager when we returned. Here is the letter:

Dear Resort Manager:

I am writing in regards to my stay at the Pop Century Resort for one night on July 4, 2004 (reservation # XXXXXXXXXX). My husband and I were on our Honeymoon and were eagerly anticipating our stay at Walt Disney World after experiencing exceptional service on the Disney Cruise Line and at Universal’s Royal Pacific Resort the week before. We realized our stay at the Pop Century was brief, however we were excited to experience Disney’s newest resort before checking into the Polynesian for the remainder of our stay.

We arrived at the Pop Century around 9:45 a.m. and proceeded to check in. During check in, I was informed that a King Bed room had been assigned to us since it was our honeymoon, but that it was not ready yet. I was told nothing else about the room or its location and told to call after 3 p.m. to get my room number. We stored our luggage with Bell Services and headed to the Magic Kingdom for the day.

After a long, hot, and exhausting July 4th in the parks, we returned to the Pop Century around 11 p.m. and found out that our room was in the 1950’s section. When I had made my reservation, I had made two requests; for a non-smoking room, and to be in the 1950’s section. We have stayed in Walt Disney World resorts 5 times since 2001, so I realize that requests cannot be guaranteed. We had not requested a king bed, so that was a nice surprise.

When we got to our room, I was happy to see that our luggage was already there. However, as soon as we walked into the room, we were immediately overwhelmed by the smell of smoke. We had not been told that this was a smoking optional room, and the odor was VERY apparent. My husband and I do not smoke, nor does anyone in our family, so we are especially sensitive to the smell. I was very upset, because a non-smoking room was my primary request. Had I been informed that this room was smoking optional when I checked in at 9:45 that morning, I would have insisted on a different room.

I immediately called the front desk and asked to be moved to a different room. The cast member offered to have the room iodized and have air fresheners brought up, but that she couldn’t give us another room because the resort was booked to capacity. I found this unacceptable because I did not want to smell smoke mixed with heavy air fresheners all night. I then asked to speak to a supervisor to see if I could get the situation rectified.

Vincent called me back in about 15 minutes and again offered to have air fresheners brought up to the room. I explained to him that this was not acceptable to me and that I wanted a new room. He said that the resort was booked and that they couldn’t get us another room with a king bed. Although appreciative of the king bed, I had never requested it and all I was asking for was a non-smoking room. Again I was told no other rooms were available. After several minutes of this, I demanded to be moved to another resort with a non smoking room. I was told there was a room at All Star Sports that was non-smoking so I agreed to move there for the night.

When bell services arrived 15 minutes later, the cast member informed us there was a non-smoking room available in the 1990’s section that we were being moved to. This had been all I asked for in the first place, yet I had been told numerous times that there were no non-smoking rooms available. The second room was satisfactory, and we had no further problems at Pop Century.

The reason I chose to inform you of our situation was that we have come to expect excellent service and problem solving from Disney. If I had been informed that our room was smoking optional when I checked-in, I would have had the problem rectified immediately instead of that night after a long and exhausting day in the Magic Kingdom. I realize that requesting a non-smoking room is not guaranteed, however I feel that if Disney cannot meet this particular request (especially with all the risks associated with second hand smoke), the guest should be informed immediately so that they have the opportunity to make alternate arrangements.

In closing, we still had a wonderful time during our stay at the Walt Disney World Resort and we are now in the process of purchasing the Disney Vacation Club at Saratoga Springs. However, after experiencing excellent service on our Disney Cruise, at Universal’s Royal Pacific Resort, and at the Polynesian Resort, our negative experience at the Pop Century Resort really stands out and put a damper on our honeymoon for a few days. We wanted to make you aware of the problem to hopefully prevent it from happening again.

Thank you for you time. Should you have any further questions, you can reach me at XXXXXXXX or my email XXXXXXXXX.

I am really surprised at the results of this poll so far.

Please keep your votes and comments coming.

Originally posted by Patabel
Housekeeping was very good about trying to correct the problem with using one of those machines that cleans the air, but we've learned that unless they actually replace the airfilter in the unit, the smell won't completely go away.
Patabel--what airfilter are you referring to? In the machine that cleans the air or in the villa somewhere? Just trying to understand your comment. Thanks!

LoveToDisney -

The time our room was so overpowering, maintenance came in and told us that each dvc apartment has it's own ac/heater unit that allows the apartment to be separately controlled from the other apartments. These units have filters (like the ones you have on your ac/furnace at home, though usually smaller). My understanding is that the regular hotel rooms are different, and don't have the separate air units.

Not sure how those ionizers (?) work. except that they remove the oxygen from the room, along with the smells. But they can't get everything out of the furnace filter.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter