Your thoughts? When should I tell my teenagers about our December trip?

KimFIGFern

Mouseketeer
I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this :confused:

Our Disney trip is from December 1st to the 9th. We are going during this time because my best friend will be at Disney ... and this is my only chance to experience Disney in December with my sons.

My sons will go to school on the 1st ... the first school day after Thanksgiving, then we will leave right after school to catch the plane. I want to keep the trip a secret until the last minute. (It is killing me!) However, two of my three sons are ages 16 and 14 (10th and 9th grade, my other son is in 4th grade). Since their grades are so important at this point in high school, I hesitate to wait until the last minute to let them and the school know. (My sons both do really well in school.)

If anyone has done this before, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Or anyone's thoughts in general. Thanks!

:santa:

It would be fun for you to hold on until you are at the airport and if you can unitl you actually walk to the Magical express. I have followed a few TR's where they surprise their kids just as they get to Disney!! it is such fun for the parents to see the expression of the kids when they see it with their own eyes and reconigtion from where they are
(can you tell them you are visiting someone at the airport?!? )
here are two
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2193921

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2305681

{Can you contact the teachers and let them know about the trip and at the same time let them know that you plan this to be a surprise trip--I bet they will let you know if there is any work they can take with them and have a blast helping you with your secret|

:wave2: Good luck and have fun with it!!!

I stayed at Pop Century that week last year with DD, DGD, and DSIL. We had a wonderful time and if you have never been over the holidays you are in for a treat! My children were in school (6th grade) the first year we went. They had one main teacher and other teachers for the the arts. I spoke with each of their teachers and the principal to arrange for all their school work so they would be able to keep up when they returned. We went for two weeks. The only reason we did this was because my DH had been on a tour of duty in Bosnia for the whole year. He arrived the day before we were supposed to leave. the chilren went to school that day and the next day we went to Florida. They knew that day and I brought materials for them to design a journal (one of their school requirements was to write a journal and name at least one new thing that they learned each day) and an autograph book. I would imagine that your older two would probably want to know ahead of time (especially if there are girls involved in their lives), but if they enjoy surprises, keep it a surprise. Do you own packing when they are away from the house and pack for them that morning after they leave for school. I am not really sure if this will work with your 16 year old as I remember what my DS was like when he was that age. If you want to tell them, do a mark-down calendar and let them participate in the planning by choosing a particular restaurant or give them time to review what rides they would most want to do. Children, even teenagers, feel empowered when they are allowed to make choices and that would allow you to plan your days around everyone's interests. This way, you would not have quibbling about one geting to do more of what he likes. Have them each pick 2-3 rides at each park that they feel are most important to them. Have you booked dining yet? If not, have them each pick out one restaurant that they feel they must experience. Given that you have older ones I would suggest the participatory planning process I just suggested in order to have each family member involved in the plans that will make up your family vacation. Best wishes and have a magical visit.

At those ages, I would give them plenty of notice so they can make arrangements with their teachers. Even kids who do well can have a problem if they suddenly miss a week just before the holidays with no preperation. Their teachers will probably be a little more likely to work with them if they are given the courtesy of advance notice. Have a great time, that is supposed to be a great time of year at Disney.

I would definitely tell them well in advance so they can make arrangements with teachers over missed assignments,tests, etc. and get work to take with them. Doesn't your school require that you give advance notice? Most do. Teens like having control and it is also fun to include them in the planning of what restaurants to make ADR's for ,etc.

It would be so awesome to keep it a secret but I could never do it. We are going over Thanksgiving and both of our sons' schools freak out about them being out so we give the schools notice. I did like the poster's idea of seeing if the school would give you the assignments so you could keep it a secret. Oh, how cool! Let us know what you decide and how you do it if you do save it as a surprise!! Have a great time!!

IMHO ... Those boys need a little "Advance Brag Time"!! Plus they might like to get on the 'net to do a little research and help in the planning. Good luck and have fun!

IMHO ... Those boys need a little "Advance Brag Time"!! Plus they might like to get on the 'net to do a little research and help in the planning. Good luck and have fun!

:thumbsup2

Last time we went, I kept the fact that I hired a limo to take us to the airport a surprise (it was actually around the same price as a taxi -- we have no family in our area and it was very early a.m.) -- even had chocolate milk for DD and Starbucks shots for DS. It was a huge surprise, and they still talk about it 3 years later.

Imho, I would tell them. Teens usually like advanced notice if they are going to be away from their friends and social groups

We are leaving the 3rd of Dec staying until the 13th this is an early Christmas present for DD and GD since DD works and had to have vacation time approved she has know since I booked it . She has talked with GD teacher who believes a vacation is a vacation . Teacher said she would have some review work to do when she returns. GD is in 3rd grade excelled class so I don't think she will have much trouble catching back up. GD will be told TGiving night and the invitation to go is already typed

Speaking as a former valedictorian who was ranked first in my class (2006) all through high school, if you haven't spoken to their teachers yet, you absolutely have to. Particularly if the 16 year old is in AP classes or any of the like. I remember if I missed a single DAY of high school, it would be incredibly difficult to catch up because the stuff they force us to cram in nowadays with less and less class time.

If they don't have girls in their lives, no worries about trashing their social lives :lmao:. If they truly like being surprised, then by all means try to surprise them, but in my opinion it's absolutely not fair to potentially give your sons a craptastic amount of stress and make-up work when they come back just for the sake of a surprise. I know if this was sprung on me and I knew my parent's HADN'T made any arrangements with my teachers beforehand, I'd have been a basket case the entire trip.

Since you're going to be leaving right after Thanksgiving, perhaps there is a way for you to get make-up work for them ahead of time to do around Thanksgiving? The time when everyone is in a food coma in front of football or whatever can be a good time to get some work done. Maybe you and the teacher can even figure out a way to get that work to them without them realizing its extra? Or if they won't have that much to make up when they come back, all the better. But please prepare beforehand! :thumbsup2

LOL I don't know how you people keep your trips a secret at all. We leave in 20 days. We booked our trip on Jan 31 of this year. My 2 daughters (6 and 3) were at the TA's office with me when I booked the trip. They have known since day one. :lmao:

It's been very hard this trip to keep trip a secret Jobs were a little un certain for a while and thought it better GD not know at all than to tell her trip is cancelled I just ordered her pins to trade yesterday When we did girls trip in 04 pick GD and DD up at 4am and thats when we told her where she was going , another time she was in on trip when I booked it but it's a long wait for little ones

LOL I don't know how you people keep your trips a secret at all. We leave in 20 days. We booked our trip on Jan 31 of this year. My 2 daughters (6 and 3) were at the TA's office with me when I booked the trip. They have known since day one. :lmao:

:lmao:

Me too! We're going right after Thanksgiving too, and booked it last December. I remember my daughter looking at me suspiciously, and asking, "what are you up to? Something is going on here!" I just could not keep quiet.

Back on topic, she's in 9th grade, and I want her to start telling her teachers about the trip TOMORROW. She can spend her Thanksgiving doing homework!! ;)

Thank You, Thank You ... everyone! From reading everyone's postings, I am planning on telling my two teenagers tomorrow. I am going to put a Disney Pez Dispenser in their lunchboxes with a note from us.

I am going to talk to my 4th grader's teacher and see if I can keep this hush, hush ... until the day we leave. Hopefully my older two will keep the secret from their brother :laughing:... we will see what happens. :)

:santa:

umm lunch box's, oh so cute...

at age 16 and 14, we didn't even bring our lunch's anymore...

but anyways yes glad your telling them , they need to let the school, girlfreinds, employer; freinds know!

Since you're going to be leaving right after Thanksgiving, perhaps there is a way for you to get make-up work for them ahead of time to do around Thanksgiving?

Brilliant!!! I'm with this poster right here. I'm speaking as a mom of a senior in high school and with the strict school rules they have now, there would be no way we could take our son out of school without giving the school prior notice. We would actually have to show up for court if we did, it's illegal to just pull a child from school without noitice past three days, and if they're gone for three days or more they have to have a dr.'s note to say they were sick.
Don't the kids have finals in the couple of weeks after Thanksgiving? I would think that's something else to think about. My son is an AP student and would have a total freak attack if we just took him out and didn't forewarn him or the school. And he LOVES WDW! :woohoo:
I'm all for going to Disney and I'm all for a surprise, but not at the expense of your kiddos grades and the possible trouble to come back to when the trip is over. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter