You're here ALONE?????

kab407

<font color=deeppink>Still embarrassed by her mom
I'm heading home tomorrow after being at WDW since Thursday. This has not been my first solo trip. It most likely will not be my last. This trip however, I certainly felt the stimga of traveling to Disney alone. I've gotten more strange looks by CM and people I've chatted with in line or at restaurants when they find out I'm here alone. I don't dare mention I'm a DVC member.

I travel for business ~30% of the time. Most of this is alone. Some of this is to not really great places in the world. Never any strange looks. Why should Disney be any different?

that is strange. most of time WDW is very friendly to us solo travelers.

I certainly don't know why your trip was so different.

sorry!!!!

there are several of us solo, single travelers who own DVC.

I hope things aren't changing . I used to travel solo , up UNTIL I bought at BWV. SInce buying everyone wants to join me <G>

Actually I usually go twice , once with friends and or family and another time solo. I feel doing it this way , I don't blow my top when we waste 2 hours in line cause friends want to do something fun like Small World !!!<G> I Know I get it my way solo.

I bought BWV BECAUSE of solo trips. I could be in the action and make it safely to my room without worries !

I hope it was just a couple of new cm's that didn't realize people go solo to WDW !!

Well, i went solo my first time last year, and I got great service at all my ADR's. The only weird look i got is when i went to check in at Le Cellier, and she asked if all my party was here.... so i looked behind me, and to my sides, and then i said yes, the whole party is here! :rotfl: Then thats when she figured out I was dining solo. But other than that, i didnt have any problems.

Hopefully, you wont run into any hicups... you should have a wonderful time!

Thanks all for the replies. The CM I enounter were friendly as always. It was just a couple of strange looks along the way when I indicated that I was alone. Something I never enountered before. It won't stop me from visiting. I plan on going there for the next 46 years.

most of the remarks Im getting about my 2 planned solo vacations this year is "wow! Im jealous"

this coming April will be my first solo week - another planned for Nov
I spent 3 days/nights at WDW solo last March but that was flying to/from and being later joined by a friend and her dd

I'm starting to get a little nervous about my 1st ever solo trip coming up soon....I am very much looking forward to it, but I've never gone away anywhere alone...Most people when I tell them I'm going alone, they think it's sad, or that I'm crazy.:rotfl2:

I know what you mean about being "crazy". All the folks i work with think i'm crazy, then they give the ole' pityful look your going on vacation by yourself. If they only knew how fun it is!! :lmao: I just dont let it bother me, i just dont think they have the guts enough to do it themselves! :)

My first solo was last year, and it was really great!! Its just a great adventure! If youve been before, and you are familiar with the bus system and the parks, you will do just fine. I'm already planning my next solo trip!

Oh, I am quite familiar w/the bus system, etc, so in that regard I'll be fine...I've also got the 2nd solo booked, so I guess I'm not too scared:rotfl2:

Thanks all for the replies. The CM I enounter were friendly as always. It was just a couple of strange looks along the way when I indicated that I was alone. Something I never enountered before. It won't stop me from visiting. I plan on going there for the next 46 years.

they were just jealous - that you got to do your thing and they had to go along with everyone else in their party.....;) :woohoo:

The few hiccups I encountered will in no way stop me from going solo. It was the first visit where I was aware of the looks and questions of being in Disney alone. I have no trouble traveling alone. I enjoy it as much as going with family and friends.

Pat, you may be on to something. Instead of waiting 50 minutes to ride Dumbo or Peter Pan, I'm riding a Segway around WS or on the KTTK tour.

that is strange. most of time WDW is very friendly to us solo travelers.

I certainly don't know why your trip was so different.

sorry!!!!

there are several of us solo, single travelers who own DVC.

I had to bold type that part. I'm chiming in as a solo, single traveler who
owns at BCV. :cloud9:

Sometimes I have people meet up with me, and some of the time I will be
touring solo, but I've never felt any stigma. Then again, I dine alone and
go to movies alone locally, so I guess I'm used to my independence.

Another single DVC owner here. My last three trips were solo. Although I did meet up with fellow Dis'ers while I was there.

Maybe it was the week, but I too had some strange happenings while I was solo at WDW this past week. Some of the restaurants where I had ADR's put me at the worst table of the restaurant. It left me feeling like they figured that since I didn't have anyone traveling with me that I would mind being at the worst table of the house. But at the parks, and most restaurants, the CM's were great.

I remember an experience dining solo at the 50's Prime Time that cracked
me up. I wasn't put into Solo Dining Siberia, but I had a book with me to
keep me occupied. My server did interact with me, but the best part was
that she used me as the Good Example for the "kids" at the next table.

"Look at her, she's so quiet, reading her book....and hey! She's going to
become a member of the Clean Plate Club! She ate all her veggies!"

And I did become a member. Even got the sticker that told me so. ;)

Hi,

Q: "You're here alone?"
A: "Of course! If I waited for someone to go with me, I'd never leave home!"

Jim

In the 8 solo trips I've taken since 1995, I've occassionally gotten random, wierd comments. I don't think the frequency of those comments has increased over the years. Occassionally, I've had a server say, "You're here alone? I don't think I'd have the courage to dine alone." I find that rather strange. And at work, I've had a few people comment, "You're going to WDW by yourself?" (as they step back in case I'm going to have a strange "fit" or something) "What do you do there? [very sarcastic]Ride the rides?" To which I always respond "Oh, yes-and I can't wait to ride Dumbo again!" By then they're backing away very quickly. But mostly, I get comments like "Boy, are you lucky to be able to worry about no one else!"

I got this from standing in line for Soarin from other people in line. And I had only did one day by myself at the parks because DH was spending the day with a friend who lives in Orlando.

There was a guy standing by himself in front of me and than a family next to me that started to talking to me. Well, the father commented that since this guy was alone and I was alone we should "hook up" and if we get married we can say we met at Disney:confused3 Umm...no thanks maybe if I was single.:sad2:

I live in Orlando and visit the parks often alone. Love every minute. As I am not shy i talk to anyone and everyone when I want to. other times I just go and ppl watch, or do what i want.

I too travel for work, about every other week I am out of town in hotels. So traveling alone is nothing new for me.

Vacationing alone isn't new to me either. I have been doing this for many years. Years ago I lived in Augusta GA. When the Masters came to town I would go to Hilton Head alone for a week's vacation. Loved every minute.

yeah I also enjoy vacationing with friends but if they aren't available then I go it alone.

I just finished a Disney cruise Feb 3 with a friend. we both had a great time. I have booked to go again Sept 22, but this time alone. Trying to tempt my friend in going but if no one can go then I still plan on going alone. Although I will have a stateroom alone, sorta doesn't seem so alone on a cruise ship of over 2000 ppl <G> I would like to have a friend to go but due to time of year, cost, etc.... factors may not be there for them.

so in Sept off I go for a 7 night cruise booked alone but sure to talk to many and be involved in many cruise activities.

If you haven't traveled alone it can feel a little ackward at first but before you know it, your having a great time. doing what you want, when you want, where you want, etc... and esp great part on your on own time frame. <G>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter