Zicam for colds

juju

DIS Veteran
A few years back I read in this board a discussion about the product Zicam to reduce the severity of cold symptoms. I have used it twice now and either it is a great placebo or it works. Gross part now. I had some dripping down my throat and some chest congestion, but my nose never became stuffed or runny. Have to start using it when you first notice the symptoms. My coworker (the one who used it and not the one who didn't) swears by it too.

Nik's Mom said:
Is it a pill, or nose swab?

It is either a nasal spray, or a swab. I prefer the swabs, but they are a tad more expensive.

ITA with juju--it's either a GREAT placebo, or it really really works.

I use the mouth spray form of zicam. I also think it works. Used it last week when I felt a cold coming on and no serious symptoms of a cold developed.

Maybe we need to try the spray or swabs. We've tried the Zicam pills that dissolve in your mouth. Not only do they taste horrible, but it didn't seem to help at all for me or my two kids.

I just discovered Zicam this year and I swear by it. As soon as I feel the sniffles or the scratchy throat starting, I get myself right on it. I use the swabs and all my colds so far have been held in check. I use Coldeze for my youngest DD8. They come in the lollipop or bubble gum form and it seems easier for her to take. I've also heard great things about Airborne, but can never find it.

Zicam is great! I swear by it for colds but don't forget the ENCHINCEA! We take enchincea at the first sign of a cold along with zicam. So far we have kept them at bay. We have not had a full blown cold all winter.

My husband is one of those who steps onto an airplane and ends up with a cold and then the sinus infection etc. Out of 7 trips to Disneyworld he ended up sick 6 times!

Now he carries and uses Zicam and takes echinachea as soon as he begins to feel tired; often a day or two before the trip.

He got to Hawaii and back last summer using these and STAYED HEALTHY!!!!

I've put reminding him to take these if necessary on my "To Do list" for trip preparation.

Airbourne is hard to find but it's great. Ask for it behind the counter at the Pharmacy.

katallo said:
Airbourne is hard to find but it's great. Ask for it behind the counter at the Pharmacy.

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area - I know they stock it. I just bought some and everyone else is out of it.

In Trader Joe's you will find it at the checkout area. :goodvibes

I LOVE zicam.

I love airborne also.

I just discovered zicam last week. MY DH thought it was gross that I was putting the q-tip thing up my nose... It worked....no more cold...

I only had to use it 2 times....

I gave a lot of them away to fellow teachers who were sick...

Great product!!

I bought the mouth spray and boy did it taste DISGUSTING!!! BUT it really did help. I was quite amazed, to be honest.

I only used it for part of a day, but every time I did it made me very nauseous within about 30 min. I don't know if I'm just sensitive to one of the ingredients, or what, but next time i'll just suffer through rather than risk side effects.

Did you take it on a full stomach? It does say not to use it on an empty stomach.

I don't remember specifically. I was already not feeling good, but it was Christmas so i suppose I did eat. I don't know why it made me so nauseous, but it certainly did. And once I stopped it the nausea went away, so I guess i'm just sensitive to it. My sister loves teh stuff and they use it all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter