Zika Virus and going to florida

cisco911

Mouseketeer
Hello All,
We are heading to florida in a couple of weeks and we just found out my wife is expecting. However, there has been all this news about the Zika virus which is freaking my wife out. Are there still mosquitos this time of year???? Does anyone know if this is something that would be covered by visa medical cancellation insurance? Thanks in advance for your help.

Florida is mostly swamp land, so yes, there are mosquitoes year round. While WDWs mosquito control measures work very well, they can't eradicate 100% of the little buggers.

However, while CDC has issued travel advisories warning of travel to quite a few countries or territories where Zika is present, the US isn't one of them. The very few confirmed cases of Zika patients in the US all contracted the disease while outside the US. There has been no reported case of anyone in the US becoming infected. So, no, I don't think your cancellation insurance would pay out on this.

^^This. While yes, they do expect the virus to eventually travel to Florida and southern United States, so far it has not been confirmed there. The only cases are those who were traveling elsewhere. The best thing to do will be to take proper precautions - use natural based repellents, and wear light weight and light colored long sleeved shirts and pants if necessary.

I wouldn't be worried about Zika in FL. Are you visiting the everglades or only WDW or the beach? Because we go to FL every year and I rarely saw mosquitoes at the beach or WDW. I would be extremely surprised if a trip insurance was covering for this since there's no reported case of Zika contracted in the USA. If I was pregnant, I would personally be more worried about contracting a childhood illness like the 5th disease or a food borne infection like listeria at WDW than Zika. BTW I went to WDW twice pregnant and even though I work in the field of infectious diseases and I know the risks, that didn't stop me from enjoying my trips.

IDK about Feburary, but we've been going to WDW/Universal every December for 2 weeks since 2008 and I don't recall ever seeing a single mosquito at that time of year. I don't think Feb. is any warmer than December so I'd be suprised if you encountered many mosquitos.

Thanks everyone. My wife is just freaked out because she is a mosquito magnet. Crazy what this virus can do though!

Thanks everyone. My wife is just freaked out because she is a mosquito magnet. Crazy what this virus can do though!

I really think, knowing how panic stricken a pregnant woman can become, she talk to her doctor. Seriously, do that and see if there is some ease of mind acquired, if not and if your doctor especially thinks it's unwise to travel I am sure a good old doctors note could trigger the cancellation insurance to work out pretty fast!

The Zika virus has not been found in Florida. Have your wife wear mosquito repellent and stick to covering up with long sleeves and pants. If there are no travel advisories, your travel insurance is not going to cover you for a cancellation unless you have a cancel for any reason policy.

Have you checked with whomever your trip was booked through to see if they'll allow cancelling or rebooking with no fees? A few tour operators are now putting this in motion..

Both AC and WJ have something in place for travelers with flights to affected areas. Florida is not on the list.

If/when this virus moves into Florida, I wonder if it will have a financial cost. I mean, how many expectant mothers are at WDW at any given time? Must be lots and if my DW was pregnant, we sure wouldn't go to FL with that virus present.

Your wife should be freaked out! Governor of FL has declared a state of emergency in 4 counties. These counties border the gulf coast.

Orlando is not included at this time, but keep an eye on the situation.

My husband is Brazilian and he is traveling down there this month along with our daughter.

I was concerned and wrote the CDC asking questions. She is not pregnant, but I do not like the fact that a lot of things seem up in the air about the illness.

I heard that once infected the virus stays in your system?? Do not know if this is true.

It seems to be a mild illness similar to west nile if you are lucky.

It is the dangers to unborn children which are just horrific. And again the connection is not understood.

There is talk of Brazil having to cancel the summer olympics.

This is serious stuff.

I am worried because they are saying use repellent and wear long sleeves, etc. It is hot in Brazil right now, so cannot imagine my daughter taking the necessary precautions. Frankly I wish she would cancel her trip. My in laws back yard is like a jungle, full of plants. They do not live near the coast, but they always have a ton of mosquitoes. I think they have had west nile before.

I would think Disney would refund your money if things escalate.

We travel next month, so I am keeping my eye on the situation. For the record, I do not remember mosquitoes in Disney, but these are some strange ones; they bite during the daylight hours.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Read the full report. Zika is still not in the Florida region. The people who have presented in these counties are all thought to have contracted the virus outside of the United States. Will it get there eventually? Most likely. But it is still a bit premature to be cancelling vacations. The state of emergency is basically a preventive measure to ensure that the counties and state stay on top of the situation. We have almost as many cases of Zika in Canada, and agencies like the Red Cross are beginning to use emergency measures like restricting blood donations to control it. I might note that travel to the US is not currently considered by the Red Cross to put you at risk of Zika, and those who have travelled to the US can still give blood.

I just read this news report http://abcnews.go.com/Health/florid...ergency-counties-zika-virus/story?id=36696887 Florida's governor has declared a health emergency in four Florida counties.
I certainly don't want to be an alarmist, but this is cause for concern. I hope they can get this under control.

JMO, but I think you are being alarmist, and this is not, at the present time a cause for concern. None of the cases reported have contracted the disease in Florida - they got it while travelling abroad. The SOE is to enable the state to up its preparedness level in case (when) the disease appears in the state.

This is starting to remind me of the Ebola epidemic, and everybody panicking over the threat of catching it from some sick foreigner while in the parks.

JMO, but I think you are being alarmist, and this is not, at the present time a cause for concern. None of the cases reported have contracted the disease in Florida - they got it while travelling abroad. The SOE is to enable the state to up its preparedness level in case (when) the disease appears in the state.

This is starting to remind me of the Ebola epidemic, and everybody panicking over the threat of catching it from some sick foreigner while in the parks.

Given that we're talking about an OP whose wife is first trimester, and that one mosquito bite could cause a serious, lifelong disability in their child, or very early death, I think an abundance of caution is in order here. And one mosquito bite to EITHER ONE, as it can then be spread husband to wife in bed.

BTW - my OB is normally an "oh you'll be fine" type ... but she is strongly urging her patients from travel to anywhere tropical, including islands that don't yet have proven transmissions because it is spreading so fast. Your wife's doctor should be willing to write a letter, which should help with applying for travel insurance assistance and/or cancelling airline and hotel reservations.

The OP posted 3 weeks ago. They would have already been there, if they went at all. And guess what' - Zika virus is still not active in Florida.

And if you think a note from your doctor is going to result in an insurance company paying out on a vacation to an area that doesn't carry a CDC warning, I've got some nice swamp land and a bridge you might be interested in buying.

I would consider a 'declared health emergency ' cause for concern. There is a difference between panic and concern, and the governor of Florida is taking the Zika virus very seriously, hence the public health warning. There is still so much about Zika virus that is unknown, and until we have all of the facts no one should dismiss a cause for concern. It is important for the public to stay informed. I hope that Zika is sent packing from the USA ASAP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter