Ziplock baggies for carryon?

brighteyes

DIS Veteran
Don't mean to sound stupid but on the airline website it says all liquids must be no larger than 3 oz and all fit into one quart size ziplock bag. What size is a quart sized baggie :confused3

All the boxes say is small, medium or large... and cm measurements...:confused3

Can someone please clarify this for me???

We leave 1 week from tomorrow and am starting to freak out a little:scared:

Already can't remember what our TA told us, have to make sure I have all my documents etc....

and is otc medication treated differently than prescription meds? namely I am interested in my nasal spray and saline solution ( which are aerosols)

Stephanie

At Pearson, there is a security point before pre screening that supplies you with the zip lock bag and tells you what can go in it. You might want to see them before checking in your luggage to see what you can carry on.

I am not flying out of pearson, I am flying out of Breslau airport, near Kitchener. I THINK my meds are separate, I will check that again. I was looking on the northwest site. I am just not sure what size of ziplock baggie. I think I will just go with medium.

Stephanie

I used a large freezer size ziploc bag and had no problems at all. Truth be told they didn't even want me to take it out of my carryon when I passed through security. The medium is probably closer to the right size I suppose. Just for comparison sake, a quart is almost exactly the same size as a litre.

The regulations can feel painful if you are not used to them but most people go through security just fine.

A quart ziplock bag is about 15x20cm. I fly a lot and have never seen anyone measure the bag - so as long as it's about that you will be fine.

Each person in your party can have 1 ziplock bag. Every airport I've been through asks that you have it outside of your carry on luggage for screening.

Prescription medications do not need to be included in that bag but they will be examined so if they fit, put them in the bag. I am pretty sure that all over the counter liquid or gels (or gel tablets) need to go in the ziplock bag. Tablets such as Advil (except the gel kind) can just go in your carry on luggage or purse. I know my daughter's saline solution for her contact lenses needs to go in the bag. She learned the hard way. Aerosols are ok as long as they are no larger than 3 oz (about 85 grams I think).

A few other things that sometimes trip people up - the actual containers that go into the ziplock bag need to be 3 ounces or less, not the contents (in other words, you can't have a half full, 6 oz tube of toothpaste in the ziplock).

Most of the travel sizes sold in pharmacies are no more than 3 oz. You can also get small travel size containers and pour a few ounces of your products in them for carry on in the ziplock bag. I try to travel with a small set of thing I will need for 48 hours. Everything else I put in my checked luggage. If it's in your checked luggage, it is no problem but you need to have enough in your carry on or be ready to purchase what you need if your luggage is delayed.

Things I have seen people try to bring through security that get stopped if they are too big or not in a ziplock bag:
Liquid makeup, snow globes, fruit jelly, lip gloss, perfume, liquid filled vitamins, liquid filled glow sticks, baby's liquid filled teething rings, baby oil.

Not all airports hand out bags and if they do, sometimes they run out so I would bring your own.

When you go through screening if they find something and you didn't put in the bag and it is over 3 oz they will tell you they can throw it out or you can go back and check it. If it is under 3 oz and would fit in the ziplock bag they will probably just tell you to remember the next time and put it in the bag.

There is some variation from airport to airport on what gets through screening and what doesn't, but you don't want your favorite $60, 4 oz jar of face cream dumped in the trash, so take a little time to plan and prepare and you will be fine.

Relax and have a great vacation.

Its the medium size bag Steph, you can use the large ones just make sure it is not full. If the saline stuff is less than 3 oz each (90 ml) they will be fine and you can put them in the ziploc, you and ds each can have a bag so you should have plenty of space.

Relax and breath!!! My last day is Wed. if you want to drop in before then with any last minute questions. It will be fine, I promise you are overthinking the whole thing and everything will go smoother than you think!

Thanks everyone, I AM overthinking everything!!

Just nervous I guess. Tracey, trying to remember everything you said to us about checking in, customs, etc etc. LOL Have all my 3 envelopes with me.

I will go get the medium sized ziplocks, everything will fit in there.

I might end up calling you or stopping in or messaging you. I do have a question about if we check our flight online the night before and what if it cancelled? Do we still go to the airport at 5 the next morning, and we have to call disney and let them know we will be late?? That is my biggest worry.:scared:

Once I am ON the plane I will relax a bit... :banana:
Steph

Best thing to do is go to the TSA website (www.tsa.gov) and you'll get the official answers to all the questions you have about carry-on items and security. TSA started the whole 3-1-1 (3oz items, 1 quart bag, 1 bag per person) and it has basically been adopted around the world. Follow their advice and you'll have nothing to worry about :thumbsup2

From the TSA site...

Items: 3oz (100ml...really 3oz is roughly 90ml but they state 100ml)
Bags: 1 quart (7" x 8" ziptop...this is a Ziploc small storage bag or Ziploc over-sized sandwich bag...about 19mm x 20.5mm...most sandwich bags in Ontario are 15mm x 16.5mm)

A cautionary note for all...some on this thread and other threads have said you can use a large Ziploc bag or use a large Ziploc bag but don't fill it (I would suggest the latter is likely to be more acceptable) but...On the way back from Orlando I watched a gentleman try to pass a full large Ziploc bag through security and they wouldn't let him. He was not happy. They told him to take items out (I presume they'd have passed him through if he did this). He still wasn't happy. This made TSA unhappy so they asked if he had a 1 quart bag with him. He replied..."of course not!". They told him he would have to leave the bag and it's contents behind. Play it safe...follow the TSA advice in the first place and you shouldn't have any problems.

when exactly are you leaving.

were going aug 19 till the 26 staying at wl. im gonna have my lgmt with me.

hope to see you there

We are leaving the 17th, there till the 26th. We are staying at POP. :cool1:

So excited, nervous, stressed, trying to pack and clean and get everything done. I keep checking these boards for tips, but need to get off my butt and start doing things. lol

What is lgmt???

Stephanie

lgmt is alien green tags from home depot to put your tag on ur bag from the disboards.

look for yanjan.

also is this your first trip there? its our 3 in 18 months and were still excited to go. and yes we leave on sat but we have nothing ready for it yet except passports:thumbsup2

any questions let me know

nick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter