Zoomer Chair

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
I have had to set aside my beloved Figment (aka Figgy) by Fold & Go; that’s an ongoing saga, and when it’s complete, I will post about it, and be as transparent as possible. In the interim, I don’t want to color anyone else’s experience with either the brand, or their products. I will not be answering any more questions regarding my Fold & Go chair until such time as the situation is resolved. Please do not ask, and please do not PM me about it.

While I was searching for an alternative chair to use, I found the Zoomer Chair by Journey.

The Zoomer is the “sister” chair to the Zinger. The Zinger came first, and you may remember it as that strange device that requires you to use both hands to steer, while holding on to a handle in each hand. I have never been able to recommend it to anyone in good faith; it is not always as intuitive as a joystick (especially for new users). The mobility store where I bought my Zoomer told us that they no longer sell the Zinger; there was very low demand for the chair, and the few who did buy it, did not like it once they got it home, and tried to use it in RL.

The Zoomer is made exactly like the Zinger, (and appears to use the exact same frame and seat fabric) except it has a “standard” joystick (by default placed on the right side, although it can be set up for left-side use as well, like most similar chairs). The joystick is easily removed for travel, and if we had flown, I would have taken the joystick with me in the cabin, while sending the chair into the hold. The joystick itself is smooth, responsive and easy to use; it has a standard layout and the chair DOES NOT beep when in reverse! Top speed for the Zoomer is 4mph, which is plenty fast for WDW and the amount of pedestrian traffic that we encounter there. I found it to be very easy to drive at WDW, and it handled the patterned concrete quite well. It also rolled well over the tracks in MK; with this particular device, it is better to cross the tracks at a perpendicular point (so make sure you do not cross at an angle, but rather go “straight across” with this chair).

The frame is a standard round tubing, which makes it easier to find accessories if you want. The manual push bar (at the top back of the seat back) is curved. I think that might be so that if you pushed back hard on the seat, you still won’t hit the push bar. I did actually try to walk and push the chair while it was in “freewheel” mode, and it rolls easily.

It has an aircraft cable that runs across the back of the chair that you pull on to either open or close the chair; it is more of a quick tug than a hard pull, if that makes sense. It comes with a charger that is configured with an LED that lights up red while charging, and green when fully charged. The battery must be charged while locked in place in the chair. If you wanted to remove the battery for any reason, it’s very easy; there is a turn-lock, and then you lift it out. It has the same grooved surface on the top of the battery as the swing-away footrest.

It does have solid tires; earlier models did have air-filled tires. I had concerns about the foot rest at first, but it is very lightweight, and swings easily back when you are standing to exit the chair, or sitting down. It also has a grooved surface, and on several VERY rainy Disney Days, my feet never tried to slip off.

The chair has adjustable anti-tippers. The *only* downside to this (and frankly, the only thing I don’t like about the Zoomer) is that when you want to stand the Zoomer for storage (with the wheels locked), the anti-tipper wheels prevent it from standing in the position you think it would naturally fall into. Our family solved that by storing it on it’s side. 😉

The arms are in a “fixed” position; you cannot swing them up to do a traditional side-seat transfer. This means that the Zoomer Chair is NOT meant for people who need to transfer in/out of the chair from the side position.

The chair itself is quite comfortable; I have actually quite enjoyed the mesh-back seat this summer, including on an impromtu WDW 4th of July/Mamabunny Birthday trip we made earlier this month. My family members who typically load/unload my chair from our vehicles all reported that it is very easy to load; the size when properly folded and locked for loading means it can even be stowed behind the front seat of a Kia Soul!

The basket underneath the chair is actually a solid mesh metal basket; it has curved metal prongs that clip onto the lower structure of the chair. It will hold a surprising amount of stuff, however it was so much easier and faster to go through Disney Security with the basket empty that it tended to just stay that way.

So, yes. I bought a Zoomer chair (after trying it out in person at a local mobility dealer) and then literally hours later, my family surprised me with the trip!

57D0D469-0197-4218-ADB6-52EBDC0CAD97.jpeg

This is the “official” page for the Zoomer Chair

I was able to go a full “Disney Day” on a full charge, however I also used very aggressive battery management techniques, and there were a couple of nights when I was in “limp home” home by the time we hit our door at POFQ. Our daughter ordered me the larger battery for our next Disney trip, so that won’t be an issue!

I am currently towards the top end of the max weight for the Zoomer; (which is 300 pounds) and I fully believe that if I were closer to 250 pounds, my battery issues might have been non-existent.

If you have any further questions about the Zoomer, I will be glad to try and answer them!

Last edited:
Where is the battery? That chair looks amazing. It looks so "nothing", I can't see how it would run all day.

Where is the battery? That chair looks amazing. It looks so "nothing", I can't see how it would run all day.

Actually, the battery is located down at the bottom, where it helps create a nice center of gravity.

3B1DB2DF-9C4F-4BAB-8F86-53C3F5C5989F.jpeg

So, the battery is just that slightly raised area where the green arrow points. It tips in easily, and can be removed if someone needed to for loading/unloading. The object that sits ”below” the battery, and between the red brake levers is the chair’s CPU, or computer control box.

I estimate it weighs about 3 pounds or so. I think its very interesting that they put the same grooved surface on the top of the battery that they do on the footrest. It’s hard to imagine, but it’s just a really nice touch when you see it in person.

As you know, we are new to all these different tools. So kind of you to share. I'm sure there are others (like me) who don't know what is out there to make life easier.

Our latest tool is half steps for getting into house or van. Made all the differance going to DD house for a visit. Last trip DH struggled to get into house.

As you know, we are new to all these different tools. So kind of you to share. I'm sure there are others (like me) who don't know what is out there to make life easier.

Our latest tool is half steps for getting into house or van. Made all the differance going to DD house for a visit. Last trip DH struggled to get into house.

I have often wondered if a “step cane” would be helpful in getting on/off some of the boat rides at WDW; is this what y’all are using at your DD’s house?

Mamabunny,
Thank you so much for this review! The three years I spent using a similar chair to yours (the name is escaping me) was a fold up chair that you could "easily" put in your trunk. Not being very strong myself, I had a lift, as it was a good 55-60 pounds to pick up and I was having to live by myself for long term treatment, away from my hubby. I like that your chair looks like it might be a little lighter than mine?? (If that's accurate?)

I really liked the chair I used, but there were many problems with the small company it came from. While I had the chair there had been a hurricane near Miami that kept the company from getting replacement parts. One of the problems I had was difficulty in getting it to come on and needing a new battery. It took months and I was grounded in my apartment without being able to go anywhere as they said all the parts were in Miami and nothing could be done. This lead to many disagreements over the phone with the company and them being very misunderstanding and unhelpful with my dilemma (honestly there was probably little they could do.)

Other times a front wheel broke more than once for silly reasons like the chair sliding and going into a planter and it snapping the wheel. It was always a lot of trouble getting any replacements, then finding anyone who could "do" the replacing for me. I found customer service at this small startup company extremely unpleasant.

So, all that to say, do have any experience with your chair maker's customer service? Are they a big or small company? I think if I needed a new chair these might be some things I would ask about based on my previous experience!

By the way, I am very mindful of your kindness in responding to my out of the blue "return" to the boards last month when you said you hoped I'd stay around. I really do love participating here, and you made me feel very welcome. I don't feel that way most places and I can't thank you enough.

Take care!
Beth

I have often wondered if a “step cane” would be helpful in getting on/off some of the boat rides at WDW; is this what y’all are using at your DD’s house?

Another tool never saw/heard of. We are using half steps (like platforms from step aerobics). I don't think DH could do that little step cane with balance issues. Maybe if he had a cane in the other hand too.

But what a great idea for WDW. Each trip our list of rides get smaller and smaller. And those boat rides are being added to the list of no go. A year ago we did Frozen, might be the last time. Splash went on the list a few years ago.

Mamabunny,
Thank you so much for this review! The three years I spent using a similar chair to yours (the name is escaping me) was a fold up chair that you could "easily" put in your trunk. Not being very strong myself, I had a lift, as it was a good 55-60 pounds to pick up and I was having to live by myself for long term treatment, away from my hubby. I like that your chair looks like it might be a little lighter than mine?? (If that's accurate?)

I really liked the chair I used, but there were many problems with the small company it came from. While I had the chair there had been a hurricane near Miami that kept the company from getting replacement parts. One of the problems I had was difficulty in getting it to come on and needing a new battery. It took months and I was grounded in my apartment without being able to go anywhere as they said all the parts were in Miami and nothing could be done. This lead to many disagreements over the phone with the company and them being very misunderstanding and unhelpful with my dilemma (honestly there was probably little they could do.)

Other times a front wheel broke more than once for silly reasons like the chair sliding and going into a planter and it snapping the wheel. It was always a lot of trouble getting any replacements, then finding anyone who could "do" the replacing for me. I found customer service at this small startup company extremely unpleasant.

So, all that to say, do have any experience with your chair maker's customer service? Are they a big or small company? I think if I needed a new chair these might be some things I would ask about based on my previous experience!

By the way, I am very mindful of your kindness in responding to my out of the blue "return" to the boards last month when you said you hoped I'd stay around. I really do love participating here, and you made me feel very welcome. I don't feel that way most places and I can't thank you enough.

Take care!
Beth

Beth - I have not yet had to contact customer service for any reason with the Zoomer chair as of now; that includes having used daily during that impromptu trip!

I think that often smaller companies may have less preparation for the occasional unforeseen situation; it sounds like maybe they just weren’t fully prepared for warranty work?

Luckily, the company that makes the Zoomer chair had several years of “practice” with the sister chair, the Zinger, and I believe that may have helped them iron out some of the potential growing pains that it sounds like you faced with the other company.

I am always so happy to see you here, and I hope you continue to be active! You have always been a friend to me; I am only reflecting the friendship you have show me 🙂

Another tool never saw/heard of. We are using half steps (like platforms from step aerobics). I don't think DH could do that little step cane with balance issues. Maybe if he had a cane in the other hand too.

But what a great idea for WDW. Each trip our list of rides get smaller and smaller. And those boat rides are being added to the list of no go. A year ago we did Frozen, might be the last time. Splash went on the list a few years ago.

That is so clever, to use the step aerobics style platforms!

I know it feels like things are shrinking in; even if I could never ride another ride again, I believe I would still go and attend the Parks for the atmosphere and the shows and attractions that are most accessible. For me, it’s still the easiest place in the world to vacation.

I don’t think that step cane would be allowed to be used - too much chance of slipping. It would be different in a house where the steps have railings.
Also, it would be kind of a pain the bring with. The step piece would interfere with using it as a regular cane, so it would be one more piece to carry around. A regular cane can be brought with on most ride cars, but this cane would be too bulky.

One tool you might want to look at is the rides that have a transfer assist device. They are usually a set of bump steps used to help a person transfer from a seated position in a wheelchair into a ride vehicle. They usually look like a strange small set of steps that go into the ride car and down to the seat.
Person parks their wheelchair next to the step, then ‘bumps’ their butt to each step until they reach the ride seat. Someone not using a wheelchair could just sit in the first step and bump in and out the same way.

I don’t think that step cane would be allowed to be used - too much chance of slipping. It would be different in a house where the steps have railings.
Also, it would be kind of a pain the bring with. The step piece would interfere with using it as a regular cane, so it would be one more piece to carry around. A regular cane can be brought with on most ride cars, but this cane would be too bulky.

One tool you might want to look at is the rides that have a transfer assist device. They are usually a set of bump steps used to help a person transfer from a seated position in a wheelchair into a ride vehicle. They usually look like a strange small set of steps that go into the ride car and down to the seat.
Person parks their wheelchair next to the step, then ‘bumps’ their butt to each step until they reach the ride seat. Someone not using a wheelchair could just sit in the first step and bump in and out the same way.

We saw that bump step. They should call it bum steps. But it would seem you need a butt the size of a 2 year to fit.

But just to get a shout out to a CM. When trying frozen, the CM was so nice, like it doesn't matter how long it takes for you to get in and out, I'm here for you. I think most of the time, we think everyone is staring and that casues one to panic.

Did you decide not to purchase the Fold and Go? I thought you already purchased it? Today I ordered my “Pink Chariot” today - the Falcon Reclining Electric Wheelchair which is comparable to the Fold and Go. So excited.

Did you decide not to purchase the Fold and Go? I thought you already purchased it? Today I ordered my “Pink Chariot” today - the Falcon Reclining Electric Wheelchair which is comparable to the Fold and Go. So excited.

Congrats on your new chair - I hope it works well for you! I am not at all familiar with the Falcon, so I hope you will post more once it arrives, and you have had a chance to try it.

As I posted previously, I will not be discussing the issues that have been/are occuring. There have been no issues so far with either the Zoomer chair, or it’s parent company.

Thanks for the information, it was very interesting. I'm really wondering about the battery. I can't figure out how the 8 miles I read as its range compares to time. Did it last all day at WDW? Just recharge it overnight? How is it going up and down hills? Getting on and off buses? And I'm not really familiar with how joysticks work-can you easily turn the Zoomer on and off when in line? Thanks.

Which company did you have a problem?
Hi! Forgive me, iuki, I'm not sure if you were talking to me, mamabunny or someone else. I had some issues with the company my power wheelchair came from and they were called KD Smartchair. I got the chair in 2017 I think. I haven't used that chair or had contact with the company since about 2020. However, at the time I had various issues getting replacement parts from them and in general they had very poor customer service. They seemed to be an extremely small company, maybe even a new company, and they really weren't able to interact with the customers or keep their chairs running (if a part needed to be replaced) without extremely long waits (like months) and like I said, really poor customer service. It's possible that they've improved by now, but it was definitely problematic at the time!

Thanks for the information, it was very interesting. I'm really wondering about the battery. I can't figure out how the 8 miles I read as its range compares to time. Did it last all day at WDW? Just recharge it overnight? How is it going up and down hills? Getting on and off buses? And I'm not really familiar with how joysticks work-can you easily turn the Zoomer on and off when in line? Thanks.

It’s hard to equate miles to time at WDW, because no two groups will likely move around the Parks at exactly the same speed, in the same way.

Having said that…

What we *do* know is that the *average* Guest at WDW walks between 3 to 10 miles per day (those are the figures I see most often here on the DISBoards). Given that average, I was not too concerned about a “standard” Disney Day. For us, that meant leaving later in the day, but also closing down Disney Springs or the Resort bar every night.

We did hit very close to the limit one night, but the “limp home” mode kicked in, and it did exactly what it was supposed to do - it got me back to the hotel room. Slower than I am used to moving, but it did the trick!

Once we were back in our hotel room for the night, I would simply plug it in (it plugs in to recharge underneath the joystick, and there is a little button to make sure that the charger does not fall out while charging) and it would recharge fully in about 5-1/2 to 6 hours. I took the charger with me every day, but never felt the need to try and plug in, and I feel like my faith was well-placed.

Going up and down hills there will be a learning curve, just like there is when you first drive an ECV. What I noticed the most with the Zoomer was that going up hill it just chugged right along. Admittedly, I didn’t try to push it too hard; For example, going up hill from the entrance at AK, the chair did not feel like it was straining at all, but I also did not have it on the fastest setting either. Going downhill is very easy; you just need a bit of throttle, and the built-in braking system will keep you safe. The hardest thing about going downhill (or anywhere at WDW LOL) is other people, as we all know they can be a bit unpredictable!

Bus ramps were never a problem; frankly, it was dealing with drivers who were not as experienced that slowed down the process. When going on or off the bus, I was just very slow and very careful. I had no problems “parallel parking” on the bus, and I sat in the chair when riding on the bus with the seatbelt. I will say that I practiced backing up, and tight turns a bit before attempting my first bus ride at WDW.

We actually offered on several occasions to just fold the chair flat, and hold it (like a folded baby carriage) but we never had to actually do that.

It’s *very* easy to turn the Zoomer (or most any mobility device that uses a joystick) on and off; there is a power button front and center on the joystick itself.

If you want to see a bit more about the joystick that the Zoomer uses, they have a webpage all about it:

Zoomer Driving Guide

Hope this is all helpful 🙂

Last edited:
Good morning Mamabunny! It seems we are both night owls! (I'm on PST though so it's early!)

MamaBunny -

Hope everything gets resolved quickly. I’ll share my experience with my Pink Chariot. We ordered it Monday and is being delivered tomorrow. I allowed time for it to be there when we get to Orlando. But I was hoping it would get there August 1st or 2nd since we have only 15 days to return it if we’re not happy with it. The other caveat is pink and green colors are considered a special order and have a 50% restocking fee. 😱

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter