͏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Except the thing is points coming in at 7 months don't matter at all in the equation. The equation is about people being locked in to the resort and it being hard to book at 11 months (which is the worry).

I don't think anyone cares if the resort is impossible to book at 7 months (I mean some will but it has no impact on the home resort owners).

You are misunderstanding what I am outlining. I am saying in 2042 there will be a good portion of RIV owners who sell their contracts to get BCV/BWV instead. I would suspect by then RIV resale will easily be "the same price" as direct is now. At that time BCV/BWV will likely get a healthy point requirement bump making RIV the cheaper alternative and possibly causing issues at that point.

I wouldn't be worried for the first 20 years though.

If buying resale at RIV would allow access to future resorts I feel like that would have been leaked/outlined already. Seems like everything points to it being locked to that specific resort for future resorts. Also not really a reason to do that system because in 20 years we will be back right to where we were in 2018.

Can’t say I agree that a good portion of RIV buyers now are doing so to tide them over for BWV and BCV when they become the new and improved versions with MFs and Point charts to match And plan to sell then.

Now, will some? Possibly, but I am not sure it will be at any higher rate than others.

the week starting 16 Aug 2020 was the 46th best selling week for all RVA sales (72 weeks from 7 Apr 2019 through 22 Aug 2020)

Makes it seem average when its not per your own charts. There just happens to be lots of weeks with no real recording of deeds for whatever reason. The 4 week average (when we get to 4 weeks) is going to be a better measure.

Someone would need to outline it but looks like typically DVC simply just sends in most contracts every other week. Actual purchasing I doubt follows the high low high low high low high low that you are seeing across the chart.

Makes it seem average when its not per your own charts. There just happens to be lots of weeks with no real recording of deeds for whatever reason. The 4 week average (when we get to 4 weeks) is going to be a better measure.

Someone would need to outline it but looks like typically DVC simply just sends in most contracts every other week. Actual purchasing I doubt follows the high low high low high low high low that you are seeing across the chart.
I also wonder how much impact Orange County's policies on "working from home" or furloughs might have impacted recording times. Could some of the results be skewed from "Catch up" / pandemic backlogs in both Orange County and Disney work flows?

while waiting for more Aug sales data, I decided to look at RVA vs. VGF sales; I've heard various positive things about VGF sales so thought it would be a good benchmark

RVA vs. VGF also seems to make sense because ...
similar high-end styling (a bit subjective)​
point charts similarly high (though VGF arguably higher than RVA)​
both have direct, non-bus transportation to one+ park(s) as a selling point​
until COVID-19, similar global financial status during sales​

... so overall, comparable products

they did began sales at slightly different times of the year ...
VGF first deed recorded 6 Jun 2013
RVA first deed recorded 12 Apr 2019

... but I took the first 72 weeks of sales so it's > 12 months and any seasonal aberrations should fall out

RVA does have more overall points compared to VGF but I think that would just extend the sales window for RVA, not drive any particular monthly sales interest in RVA over VGF (or vice versa)
VGF 2,520,412 points (37% of RVA)​
RVA 6,739,966 points (2.7x VGF)​

also, the weekly sales varied quite a bit so I used the rolling 4 week average sales instead (~one month)

View attachment 521373

View attachment 521375

View attachment 521374

overall, I see that ...
VGF had a surge of initial sales in the first ~12 weeks; likely due to the excitement and familiarity with the Grand Floridian resort​
before COVID-19, RVA sales were overall trending better than VGF sales in the same period​
while lagging new member sales, member add-on from existing members had caught VGF sales by the end of the first year​

so if we assume VGF sales were successful for DVC, it would seem RVA is selling quite successfully aside from COVID-19 effects; it would appear that new member or existing member add-ons have not been significantly affected by the resale restrictions on RVA 🤷‍♀️
I am relatively new to all of this, but after digging in a little I began to think the “Riviera isn’t selling well” narrative was more of a wish related to resale restrictions than backed by data. This shows that reasonably clearly.

How long was VGF competing with AKV for sales after it went on sale? What about VGC?

@i<3riviera
As always, great stuff. That was a really good comparison and I am not surprised by the results.

The resale restriction seems to be very unpopular for some. It's hard for us to understand major decisions like this because we don't have all the information that drove the decision. I would love to see survey results from new buyers. It may provide more insight into why they chose to implement that restriction. For now, it seems like it really hasn't hurt sales. But, you have to imagine that the decision-makers were shaking in their boots when COVID hit!!! Things can still turn south.

To me, the resale restriction is a huge perk for direct buyers (assuming you don't sell within the next 5-10 years). Each time a legacy resort resale contract is sold, those points are removed from the pool of eligible points for Riviera and future resorts. Each time a Riviera contract is resold, those points are removed from the pool of all other resorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter