10 Delicious Days of Deluxe Dining..Day5-Yachtmans Steakhouse-was it worth 2 credits?

Hello,

I just found your review and I am enthralled! What a wonderful dining review. I've caught up and am looking forward to more! I don't think I've ever seen one so well put together. Might I say that I discovered School Bread from Norway on our vacation less than 2 weeks ago and I am in LOVE! Totally surprised that something with a boring name like that is so fabulous. I went back for another!

I too loved this restaurant but my daughter wasn't that fond of it so we've never been back. I actually enjoy sitting with other people, when we last ate at Biergarten we had one of the most enjoyable meals we've ever had in the World! Four of the people we sat with didn't want to interact with anyone else at the table, but the others were amazing:love: Two young gentlemen actually purchased everyone at the tables meals, even the family that didn't speak to us at all:woohoo: My daughter thought this was one of our most magical experiences ever encountered:cloud9:

Can't wait for the next review Morgy!!!

Loved your review of Teppan Edo. I have an ADR there in August which the reservationist recommended when I couldn't get into LeCellier. After reading your review, I'm really excited to be trying it. I'll be asking for the "cheat"sticks too!:rotfl:

popcorn::popcorn::

I have just added Teppan Edo to my list! YUM

Sounds like you had a great time at Teppan Edo, I really want to bok this for our trip in September. We missed out last time we went as it was still going through the refurb!

We really enjoyed Teppan Edo last year as well & almost put it on our list for this year except my 13 year old son REALLY wanted to see the belly-dancer at Marrakesh...hmmm, wonder why?

On another note, those sushi jellies are really great!! Do you recall how much Mulan paid for them? I think they would make the perfect gift for a sushi loving friend of mine!!

Loving your reviews, keep up the great work!

We really enjoyed Teppan Edo last year as well & almost put it on our list for this year except my 13 year old son REALLY wanted to see the belly-dancer at Marrakesh...hmmm, wonder why?

On another note, those sushi jellies are really great!! Do you recall how much Mulan paid for them? I think they would make the perfect gift for a sushi loving friend of mine!!

Loving your reviews, keep up the great work![/QUOTE

I can't remember the exact price but they were around $4 or so.

we loved Teppan Edo when we went too and can't wait to go back! And thank you for the picture of the Green Tea Pudding! It looks more like a flan which I like. I was skeptical because from the sounds of it, I thought it would be like a jello pudding. I love green tea so I have to add this to my list to try.
Yeah, we were pretty surprised that the green tea pudding was as good as it was. None of the desserts sounded that great on the menu but they were all really tasty.

I know I have yet to say anything, but I have been an avid reader. Thanks for posting about Teppan Edo. I'm trying to decide where to eat for my upcoming trip and this pretty much put this resturant on the map. Only question is...with Food and wine festival going on (when I'm there) will this be too much food? Do they let you take some home?
I'm not sure if they let you take the food home. I can;t imagine why they wouldn't. It's not like an all you can eat buffet. You just get your portion and that's it. I didn't find that I was overly full with this meal either. They had really good portion sizes and I did not feel stuffed afterward. The only thing I did not finish was all of the rice.

Great Teppan Edo review. I've eaten at a Hibachi restaurant before, but never in WDW. It seems nice and I like that you are in smaller rooms- to keep the noise down.

And I love the Beverly hazing! :rotfl: I think I'm the only person who doesn't really mind it that much, but I used to hate it when I was younger.
We always have fun with the Beverly. Stitch still bugs me about how I got him to shoot a full glass of it down on our honeymoon. He still remembers how bad it was!!

Thanks for the great review of Teppan Edo, it is my absolute favorite restaraunt at Epcot. YUM, can't wait to go in August!
Mmmm...I'm jealous! Watch out for flying edamame!!

Can't wait to have lunch at Teppan Edo after your stellar reviews! Thank you.
Enjoy!!

Hello,

I just found your review and I am enthralled! What a wonderful dining review. I've caught up and am looking forward to more! I don't think I've ever seen one so well put together. Might I say that I discovered School Bread from Norway on our vacation less than 2 weeks ago and I am in LOVE! Totally surprised that something with a boring name like that is so fabulous. I went back for another!
Thanks so much. I;m glad you're enjoying the review. The school bread is the best. It doesn;t sound or look that great but something about the coconut and the cream is sooooo good!

I too loved this restaurant but my daughter wasn't that fond of it so we've never been back. I actually enjoy sitting with other people, when we last ate at Biergarten we had one of the most enjoyable meals we've ever had in the World! Four of the people we sat with didn't want to interact with anyone else at the table, but the others were amazing:love: Two young gentlemen actually purchased everyone at the tables meals, even the family that didn't speak to us at all:woohoo: My daughter thought this was one of our most magical experiences ever encountered:cloud9:

Can't wait for the next review Morgy!!!
Wow, what a great experience. We don;t mind sitting with other people either. The people we sat with were just really quiet and Mickey was not to into the group seating.

Loved your review of Teppan Edo. I have an ADR there in August which the reservationist recommended when I couldn't get into LeCellier. After reading your review, I'm really excited to be trying it. I'll be asking for the "cheat"sticks too!:rotfl:
The cheat sticks were great!! I felt authentic!!

popcorn::popcorn::

I have just added Teppan Edo to my list! YUM
Good!!

Sounds like you had a great time at Teppan Edo, I really want to bok this for our trip in September. We missed out last time we went as it was still going through the refurb!
You should absolutely book it!!

So Day 5 dawned with another bright and early breakfast reservation and yet another character breakfast. By this time I was starting to wish that WDW had more options for TS breakfasts that did not involve characters but regardless we had never been to Chef Mickey's before and I was excited to see what all the hype was about.

Our ADR was for 830am so we hopped the MK bus and took the monorail to the Contemporary. I have to say that the Contemporary is not my favorite hotel. I find it kind of cold and sterile looking with no theming but we do like that the monorail runs through it. I have to mention that we also had some of the worst bus service from the Contemporary after this breakfast. We were heading to HS afterward and we waited nearly 45 minutes for a bus to show up. Meanwhile we saw buses for everything else. I think it would have been faster to walk to MK and then catch a bus there.

DSC02524.jpg

CM is located in the main concourse at the contemporary and you can't really miss it. It's entrance is divided into three: one for each of the restaurants on that level. When we made our reservation for CM the policy was still the 180 day out thing so we were booking kind of late and were only able to get a table for 4 and a table for 2. However, when we got there it was no problem at all and we were seated at a booth to the back of the buffet....beside the kitchen again!! We we're even seated 10 minutes prior to our sceduled ADR time. This is a HUGE restaurant. It holds a lot of people. Even with all the people we found that the buffet held a nice assortment of food, the service was quick and friendly and the buffet was very organized.
DSC02527.jpg

DSC02526.jpg

Speaking of the service here it was really great. At the beginning of the meal our waitress asked each of us what we were celebrating and told us they would be a celebration for the celebrations at 900am. At exactly 9 all the characters scattered throughout the restaurant and sand a celebration song and we did some napkin twirling. We all got a mickey cupcake with a candle in it and the whole restaurant blew out there candles at the same time. It was a great idea to have the celebrations all at once so you are not constantly hearing happy birthdays sung the whole time you are eating. Plus, it was nice to have our other celebrations recognized like our anniversaries, retirement and graduations. Plus, if you've never had the Mickey cupcake they are fabulous. They are super fresh and melt in your mouth and the icing is great. The mickey confetti is really cute too. Mickey thought the confetti was not edible so he scooped it up and put it in his shirt pocket. Of course we all told him that it was edible and for the rest of the day he was picking mickey sprinkles out of his shirt pocket!!
DSC02533.jpg

Our waitress was also really chatty and she talked to Donald for about 10 minutes about his graduation from education. She was graduating that year with her masters so they chatted for awhile which was nice.

The atmosphere of the actual restaurant is nothing fabulous. I find that all the rooms are themed differently and it gives the restaurant a bit of a disjointed look. It's also a bit cold and sterile looking but I guess that matches the theming of the Contemporary!!

As for the characters they ere great here!! They actually spent time at our table talking with us and posing for photos. The only problem that we had was that because the restaurant is so big it took them a long time to come around. We ended up waiting quite awhile after we were done eating for Pluto to finally make it to our table. By the time we got to HS after breakfast it was already 1130am and almost time for our next ADR!! (Some of this time was due to the lousy bus service) They actually need a few more characters in there to make up for the size of the restaurant. The characters we saw that day were:

Mickey
DSC02534.jpg

Minnie
DSC02535.jpg

Goofy
DSC02532.jpg

Pluto
DSC02537.jpg

Here's a couple of picture of our plates of food.

DSC02531.jpg

Assorted fruit rice Krispies and rice krispie cake (yay, more dessert for Breakfast!! Mulan was happy)

DSC02530.jpg

Bacon, tater tots, breakfast pizza, hash browns, cheddar & bacon potatoes

DSC02529.jpg

Mickey waffles, bacon, scrambled eggs, and french toast.

DSC02528.jpg

Pancake, breakfast pizza, cottage cheese, sausages, grapes, cheddar & bacon potatoes, hash browns and bacon.

Ratings

Mulan Liked that the buffet was so organized and spaced out really well. Thought that there was nothing really fabulous that stood out about the food but it was all pretty good, standard breakfast fare. She did not like the long waits between characters.

***1/2 out of 5

Donald Thought that the breakfast was okay as well nothing really stood out. We were probably getting kind of sick of eating at buffet breakfasts at this point and the food does all seem to look the same. He was also disappointed in the long wait times between characters.

***1/2 out of 5

Tink
Loved the Mickey waffles but Tink and Mickey loved the mickey waffles anywhere that we went. She thought the buffet was very organized and liked the fact that there was a thermos of coffee on the table when we sat down so she could have her morning coffee before the waitress ca,e. She did not like the taste f the french toast, She found it much too sweet; too much cinnamon she said.

****1/2 out of 5

Mickey Also enjoyed the Mickey waffles and thought that the character interaction was great. It was especially great with the kids at the table beside us. They were fabulous with this little boy and girl. This is a great place to bring kids he said.

****1/2 out of 5

Stitch Stitch really liked this breakfast but especially enjoyed the cheddar & bacon potatoes. He also liked having dessert at breakfast and thought that the celebrations all at once was a great idea. The character interaction was one of the bets so far.

****/5

Morgy827
As for myself I really enjoyed this breakfast. My favorite was the oatmeal station and the breakfast pizza. There was a really good selection and variety on the buffet with a cold and hot cereal area, fruit and yogurt selection, breakfast breads and your usual eggs, omelets, bacon and sausages. The service was phenomenal and it was very well organized for such a busy place. We were also seated really quickly which was great. The characters were really slow to get around the restaurant but I guess you have to expect that when the interaction is so great. If you allot yourself enough time to enjoy the characters this is a great character meal for children. The only flaw in this meal was the horrible Contemporary bus service. Just another reason why we would never stay there.

****1/2 out of 5

Overall Rating
4.1 out of 5

Cost
6 DP credits

Actual Cost
$146.97

Gratuity
$24.83

Would we be back We're not sure. Even though it was really good it was just another character breakfast to us. It was one of the better ones and we would definitely recommend it for a party with children but for a group of adults we would probably choose a restaurant without characters. Also because of the poor bus service we wasted a good portion of our day. We would rather eat at the Crystal Palace and be able to get around a bit better then go to CM and have to wait so long.

Marrakesh food is yummy, we've been there a couple of times and it's always really good!!!!

So Day 5 dawned with another bright and early breakfast reservation and yet another character breakfast. By this time I was starting to wish that WDW had more options for TS breakfasts that did not involve characters but regardless we had never been to Chef Mickey's before and I was excited to see what all the hype was about.

Can't remeber if it's on your listy but you should try BOMA for breakfast, it's one of my fvourites. Kona Cafe is also great too.

enjoying your review. We went to Chef Mickey for dinner and really didn't like the food selection. Next trip my son wants to go to CM so we will try it for breakfast. Thank you for sharing.

:cool1:

Great review for CM, my kids love it here, some of the best character interaction we have had, we visited CRT as well and felt the princess rushed through photos and autographs with my daughter and nephew and hardly even spoke to us adults at the table......however my daughter was just excited to see all the princess so her reaction kept us all in the magic....

Just also wanted to say I live your rating system and layout of the reviews you provide...so we can see so many different opinions on each resturant thank you

loving your in-depth reviews..
Thanks

Marrakesh food is yummy, we've been there a couple of times and it's always really good!!!!
We've never tried Marakesh...maybe next time.

Can't remeber if it's on your listy but you should try BOMA for breakfast, it's one of my fvourites. Kona Cafe is also great too.
We never did Boma this trip but Stitch and I did it on our honeymoon. We thought it was just okay. Nice atmosphere though. We love the Animal Kingdom.

Your dining reviews are awesome. Can't wait for the rest!
Coming up next...50's Prime Time

enjoying your review. We went to Chef Mickey for dinner and really didn't like the food selection. Next trip my son wants to go to CM so we will try it for breakfast. Thank you for sharing.
The selection is good for breakfast. We are not too fond of any Disney dinner buffet so that's why we always chose buffets for breakfast.

:cool1:

Great review for CM, my kids love it here, some of the best character interaction we have had, we visited CRT as well and felt the princess rushed through photos and autographs with my daughter and nephew and hardly even spoke to us adults at the table......however my daughter was just excited to see all the princess so her reaction kept us all in the magic....

Just also wanted to say I live your rating system and layout of the reviews you provide...so we can see so many different opinions on each resturant thank you
Yeah, the interaction is really great at CM. Every other breakfast we felt that the characters were rushed though. I'm glad you're enjoying the review.

Well, by the time we ate lunch and took the incredibly slow bus ride over to HS we barely had any time in the park before it was time to eat again. This was the only day when I felt that we were eating a meal right on top of another meal. Our ADR was for 130pm and we arrived about 5 minutes early. As usual, it took awhile for our table to be called and we waited in the living room for about 15 minutes before we were seated.
DSC02586.jpg

For those of you who have never been to 50's prime time it is located right off the main street in HS beside the Hollywood Vine restaurant. The theming here is fabulous. We love the atmosphere. It is definitely one of the best themed restaurants in WDW. The TV's in the restaurant are great to. I love how they show the old clips of Walt Disney.
DSC02587.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02605.jpg

We were seated at a great table that was actually not within site of the kitchen this time so the meal started off on a positive note. We had all been here before except for Mulan of course so we sort of knew what to expect. We set our own table and made sure all of our elbows were firmly planted on the table beside our plates. Donald made sure that he did not take off hos baseball cap. However, despite our best efforts, the waitress was nothing but polite throughout the whole meal. There was actually hardly any antics going on at all through the restaurant. We were used to seeing people standing in the corner and we had some great memories of a little girl being sent back to the restroom to wash her hands the last time we were there but unfortunately nothing exciting happened. We were disappointed and we actually mentioned the fact that he did not say anything about Donald's hat through the meal and she said that one too many times she had used that joke and the person was wearing the hat for medical reasons. I understand why this would be a sensitive issue but, really I don't think that people would take it too seriously. I mean, that s what you tend to expect when you head to this restaurant. So, anyway, we were awfully disappointed that there were none of the usual antics going on.

Besides the lack of 'fun' the service was good. She was speedy and efficient and knew the menu very well. She was also very accommodating with the dining plan and always made sure our drinks were refilled in a timely fashion. We enjoyed the service but it was nowhere near as entertaining as we expected and we left kind of disappointed.

One thing we knew for certain about 50's Prime Time was that the food was fabulous and huge portions (the whole reason Stitch enjoys it here).

Mulan

Drink
Strawberry Milkshake $4.99
Even though we knew that we would be stuffed we could not resist 50's milkshakes and Mulan thought it was really good. It would be great as a dessert too.

Appetizer
Beer Battered Onion Rings for Two
"Served with horseradish sauce"
$7.99
DSC02594.jpg

These were shared with Donald as the appetizer at 50's is actually for 2 people only. Mulan enjoyed the onion rings but said they were nothing to write home about.

Entree
Mom's Old Fashioned Pot Roast
"cooked 'till fork tender, served with mashed potatoes, carrots, celery and onions"
$16.99
DSC02597.jpg

Mulan thought that this was okay. hHe thought that the meat was a little dried out and she wished that there were more veggies on the plate because they were so good.

Dessert
So of course we had a great time drooling over all the desserts on the "dessert menu". Mulan loved this menu.
DSC02590.jpg

Seasonal Cobbler
"Served a la mode"
$7.49
DSC02600.jpg

The seasonal fruit was apple and Mulan thought it was good but she said she was way too full to enjoy it properly.

Rating
***1/2 out of 5

Donald

Drink
Raspberry Light Lemonade

Appetizer
Onion Rings for Two shared with Mulan
Said they were not the best but they were not the worst either.

Entree

Dad's Traditional Meatloaf
"Blend of Beef and Pork topped with tomato glaze served with mashed potatoes and green beans"
$14.99
DSC02596.jpg

Donald thought that the whole meal was good. Considering that we were experts on green beans at this point in our vacation those must have been good as well.

Dessert
Dad's Brownie Sundae
"Rich fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge and caramel topping"
$5.99
DSC02598.jpg

This was really good and it was a really big portion. Donald finished though so it must have been fabulous.

Rating

****/5

Tink

Drink
Light Lemonade

Appetizer
Mixed Greens Salad
"Served with our house dressing"
$5.49
DSC02593.jpg

She thought this was a good portion with a good amount of tasty salad dressing.

Entree
Pot Roast
Tink enjoyed this as usual although we thought that the portion was a bit smaller than it had been previously. We remember trying to hide food under our napkins because we were so full. This time it was much easier to finish.

Dessert
S'mores
"A graham cracker square, topped with chocolate and yummy toasted marshmallows"
$4.79
DSC02599.jpg

These were fondly remembered for years after the last time we ate them and unfortunately they did not live up to expectation. Maybe we had built them up too much in our heads over the years but Tink though that they were a little tasteless.

Rating
***1/2 out of 5

Mickey

Drink
Raspberry Light Lemonade

Appetizer
Onion rings shared with Stitch
He thought these were good and were similar to all of the opther onion rings served in WDW.

Entree
Cousin Eric's Char-grilled Chicken Sandwich
"Marinated chicken breast topped with cheddar, grilled onions, BBQ sauce, lettuce, and tomato on a Kaiser roll served with a House salad or French fries"
$13.49
DSC02595.jpg

This was just okay. He had it served with fries and the fires are the usual WDW fare. The chicken sandwich was nothing great.

Dessert
S'mores
These Mickey enjoyed. He thought they were really good and lived up to his expectations. The only thing is that they are a little bit difficult to eat. They are too big to pick up and eat with your hands but they can;t be cut with a knife or fork because the graham crust crumbles. We'll just have to keep practicing!!

Rating

***1/2 out of 5

Stitch

Drink
Raspberry Light Lemonade

Appetizer

Onion rings shared with Mickey.
These were served cold but they were tasty. On par with the other onion rings in WDW.

Entree
Meatloaf
Stitch thought this was delicious. It had lots of flavors and even the beans were good. They were nice and fresh and flavorful. The mashed potatoes were also creamy and really tasty.

Dessert
S'mores
Delicious as always hes said

Rating
****/5

Morgy827

Drink
Vanilla Milkshake
$4.99
This was really great. I had never had the milkshake here before and I had to try one after reading other TR's in the boards and hearing how great they were. The only problem was that it was way too much ice cream to eat with your meal. It would make a really great dessert though.

Appetizer
Mixed Greens
This salad was great. It was crisp and fresh and I loved the dressing. It was a kind of citrus dressing and it went great with peaches that they had in with the salad.

Entree
Pot Roast
I always order the pot roast here. The first time I had it I loved it. It was the best meal of our trip. The second time I had it was good but not as greatr as it had been the first time. I chalked that up to expecting too much. This time I thought it was okay. It was tasty but the portion was definitely smaller than before. I also found that the veggies were a little undercooked so they were really crunchy on top of the pot roast. I love the gravy though and I would still order it if we go back the next time.

Dessert
Apple Crumble
I thought this was really good. The apples were well cooked and it was a really nice light cinnamon flavor. I was not as filling as a cake would be so it was great after a big meal. I still couldn't finish it though and I definitely did not need more ice cream after having had the milkshake as my beverage!

Rating

***1/2 out of 5

Overall Rating
3.6 out of 5

Cost
6 DP credits

Actual Cost
$187.32

Gratuity
$31.66

Would we be Back The two reasons that we loved 50's was 1) the great food and 2) the hilarious antics that went on. This was both lacking during this meal. We were very disappointed that the service was so ordinary. It was just like you would get at any other restaurant. The food was good but nowhere near as great as we had remembered. So, would we be back? I don't know. We took a vote after the meal between Sci Fi and 50's and 4 votes went to Sci FI and 2 went to 50's/ OI would probably say that we likely would not return but if we went on the DxDDP again there really is not much choice at HS and we may end up back there just for lack of options.

Awww, what a shame 50s PT wasn't everything you expected. Those Smores photos stil make me drool though!

Aw I am so sorry your server wasnt into the fun and games...the first time we went they were totally into it, a few years later we did it again and our server was a snooze...we just ate there last month and our servers and the ones around us were over the top into the fun and we had a great time...

I agree about the smores, they were just eh, nothing special, not really that tasty either.

So whats up next?

Another great review! We had an amazing server last summer (Cindy), my 2 nieces who were 4 and 8 were on their best behaviour, I really don't think they enjoyed the experience as they were too concerned about getting into trouble.:rotfl: She could sense this and only picked on the adults and my DD who was 16. My DD didn't eat her veggies so she brought them out to her in a bowl with whipped cream and a cherry on top:lmao: Jasmine was thrilled.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter