11/06/04 Western New and Improved Official Thread!

Jackie,
A question for you if you can answer. I told my dh about the jet ski tour and he's totally into doing this. Do you know anything about the $300 deposit (cash or cc) per each jet ski ? Specifically, do they actually "charge" your cc the deposit or just hold the card. I'd hate to tie up $600 on our cc for two jet skis. We've had experience with this in the past and sometimes the charge (even though it's just a "hold") can stay on your cc for days. This would freeze up alot of vacation funds for us while on vacation. That's my only concern really. I did email the company through the link you sent and waiting for a reply from them. Thanks.

Maria - I'll try to answer. Usually it's just an authorization, because if it's an actual charge, they they have to issue a refund. Also, most charges are just authorizations until the CC company receives the paperwork (your signed receipt) from the merchant. Also, most authorizations (which have not received a signed receipt) will remain on your card for 5 business days, regardless of intent by the merchant. So, most likely you'll have this $600 hold on your card until the cruise is over. A merchant can't withdraw an authorization (so don't believe it if they say they can), they can just choose to not submit a true charge, which when the authorization expires, your credit limit is increased. The authorization is a instant thing, and can not be removed, just allowed to become a true charge, with proper documentation, or allowed to expire.

most authorizations (which have not received a signed receipt) will remain on your card for 5 business days, regardless of intent by the merchant. So, most likely you'll have this $600 hold on your card until the cruise is over. A merchant can't withdraw an authorization (so don't believe it if they say they can),
Thanks Lori....this was my fear. We'd actually prefer to give them $600 cash/travlers checks over a cc for deposit if this is the case. I don't want to tie up $600 for the length of the cruise. I'm hoping to get a return email from the company tommorrow.

I did get the return email from islandwatersports this morning. They did confirm what you stated Lori. They even suggested cash/travlers checks would work better if having funds on our cc tied up would be a problem, so that's our plan now. My 17 yr old ds doesn't want to go with us. He's upset (mildly) because he can't drive (you have to be 18). Oh well......can't please everyone. He's going to stay on the ship so it's just dh, the girls and I. We did a family vote. It was either this jet ski tour or the DCL snorkel excursion. Jet skis won.
We're on day 3 with no sun here.....I'm craving the rays !

Maria,

Once again I wasn't able to answer your question promptly!! I haven't been online since yesterday afternoon! I see you got your answer (thanks Lori!!!) I was aware of the $600 deposit but not concerned because our credit card has more than enough availability to cover it. I was going to suggest that if you have more than one credit card you could bring it with you just for the JetSki deposit. Are you on the 1:30 tour with us? It looks like a blast. I told the kids about it yesterday and DS10 was worried about sharks and how big the island was, DS7 was worried about sharks and big waves and DD7 was jumping up and down saying how much fun it was going to be!! I guess she must take after her daredevil mother!! ::yes::

I went to WalMart today and picked up the last few items I needed. :Pinkbounc :bounce: There is only one other thing I would like to get, a new pair of sunglasses. :smooth: Not sure if I should pick up a pair here or maybe look in Key West.

We have had TWO sunny days in a row and the temps have been in the lower 60's. After we leave next Friday, I hope it snows 10 inches!!! (just kidding, well maybe not ;) )

TTFN,

Jackie

Are you on the 1:30 tour with us? It looks like a blast. I told the kids about it yesterday and DS10 was worried about sharks and how big the island was, DS7 was worried about sharks and big waves and DD7 was jumping up and down saying how much fun it was going to be!!
I requested the 1:30 pm tour but haven't heard back since this morning. Maybe I should call ? Or perhaps they answer all their emails in the evening. My two dd's (12 & 14) would flip out if they suspected sharks were anywhere nearby ! lol I'm sort of disappointed my ds 17 doesn't want to come with us but I can understand how he feels. It just wouldn't be cool to be seen on the back of a jet ski with mom or dad driving ;) Too bad they won't let him be a driver.
I'm hoping the 1:30 pm time slot is open because I'd like to do it early so we have the rest of our time to explore Key West ( a little disappointed we're not leaving at the normal 10 pm), though I bet a later time doing the jet skis would be cool riding across the water as the sun is setting :cool: If I don't get an email back from them in the morning I'll call their number.

Maria,

That is great to hear!! Isn't your family is doing the Catamaran Sail, Snorkel, Beach Party in Cozumel too? Looks like we have the same taste in excursions. To bad about your DS17. Maybe he will change his mind and join you afterall. I can understand why he would want to drive! Are you done packing? I remember you said you have to work this weekend. I take it you are a nurse? We love nurses in our family. SIL, MIL and StepM are all nurses!!!

TTFN,

Jackie

Hi again Jackie !
Yep....we're doing the Fury Catamaran in Cozumel too ! Hoping we all have a super time. I just got off the phone with islandwatersports this morning after I saw they hadn't returned my email. I was a little concerned that the 1:30 tour might not be available and this is the one we really wanted because it didn't chop up the day in Key West. I do want to retrieve my son after the tour so we can walk around Key West a little.
I'm not done packing.....the kids keep wearing the clothes I had all washed and folded to put in the suitcases ("buy mom....that's all our good clothes !" is all I keep hearing). I'm gonna have to hide everything I guess :rolleyes: I'm packing and washing on and off as I'm reading the boards. I anticipate being done by tommorrow.
Yep, I do have to work 3-11pm all this weekend (1st time ever missing Halloween with the kids :( ) But at least I have the next day to look forward to because we leave noon on Monday. And I am a nurse. I work in Labor and Delivery. Thanks for saying what you did about our profession :wave2:
How 'bout you ? All packed ? I still need to get waterproof cameras from Walmart. I keep forgetting them every time I'm out.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Next week at this time, we're at WDW!

Jackie & Maria, we will be on the Fury caterman excusion too! Looks like a ton of fun. You guys helped us find an excusion for Key West - THANKS! We're not taking the tour, but plan on renting jet skis. I still need to reserve them. Guess I'll call to get a quick reply.

Anyways, I'm close to being packed. We're busy this weekend with Halloween parties and Boy Scout events. So, I want to finish tomorrow. The only one not packed at all is my husband. He's that last minute throw it in a suitcase (whether it matches or not - LOL).

Anyone dressing up for pirate night?

Jackie & Maria, we will be on the Fury caterman excusion too!
See ya on the Fury thumpery ! :wave:
Anyone dressing up for pirate night?
My dh is giving it serious consideration---he has a pirate costume. I did buy a pirate hat but I think I'll just wear that and maybe an eye patch. I'm planning on just wearing a tropical shirt and skirt.
How 'bout you ----getting all decked out as a pirate ? pirate:

Hi Maria,

Yes, we are going to get dressed up as pirates. The boys (11 & 8) are all set. I picked up the UGLIEST skirt and a tank and shirt to layer. I'm not at all sure whether I look like a pirate or not, but we'll have fun dressing up! Our friends are going too, and they are dressing up too. I still need to work on my husband's pirate outfit. I have a hat for him and a Pirates of the Carribean t-shirt.

Can't wait to get out of this cold weather. At least we've seen sun the last couple of days. Actually, it's suppose to get up to 70 this weekend, but of course it's calling for rain too.

Pina Coladas and carribean sun here we come!:Pinkbounc :sunny: :Pinkbounc

I have a hat for him and a Pirates of the Carribean t-shirt.
My dd(12) has a Pirates of Carribbean shirt too. She's a big fan of the movie and the attraction at WDW. I'm sure she'll want to wear it.
Should be a fun meal.
We're also supposed to hit 70 this weekend. Halloween night should be around 60 and somewhat mild which is good for trick-or-treating pirate:

Well things are getting weirder and weirder for our cruise. Now, the Grand Cayman government has officially released that the port is re-opening on November 1st, with a list of the ships that are going to be in port through November 13th. Well guess what, the Magic is on the list for November 9th! I'll try to call DCL later on today to see what's up, but here is the link.

http://www.caymannetnews.com/2004/10/747/ships.shtml

Edited to add: If you go to the Cayman Islands Port Authority Website www.caymanport.com you can see that the Magic is also listed there. Here is the information on our arrival and departure.

Disney Magic
Disney Cruise Lines

Arriving on 11. 09, 2004 at 7:00 am and
Leaving on 11. 09, 2004 at 5:00 pm.

Passenger Capacity of 2500.

Database Last Updated: Fri Oct 29 03:01:10 2004

Very interesting link! I'll be curious to hear what DCL has to say about it. On one hand, it could very well be a public relations statement from the Cayman government with no bearing on reality (like a lot of what the government said just after the hurricane). Or it could be true... I am starting to think that we're in for a "mystery port" and we won't know until we get the final word onboard. I imagine a real final decision won't happen until after ships do start returning to the port and Disney finds out how smoothly things are running there.

I thought that the "sea days" were normally the day after GC and the day after Cozumel. If they have the Magic listed in port for Tuesday, that would put a day at sea before GC... is that possible? I mean, I thought the days at sea were reserved for crossing the Gulf of Mexico.

:confused: WOW! I just received a letter confirming that we are going to Costa Maya instead of GC. Now it could change again. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but my family really wants to go to Grand Cayman. My TA has already confirmed that my shore excursions for GC are canceled. Now what do we do? Rebook them in case we go? This is getting confusing! I agree that we probably won't know till we're on the ship. No matter what, we are sooo excited!

I am in total agreement with all of you. It's the kind of information that has me sittin' on the edge of my seat here.....lol
I agree, it could still go either way......just as CatLady said....could just be a publicity release. Secretly I am hoping for GC, but I'm accepting of anything at this point. I just can't wait to leave !

I thought that the "sea days" were normally the day after GC and the day after Cozumel.
I believe GC (or CM) is Tues and on Wed we stop at Cozumel. I believe Thursday is then our 2nd day at sea with Monday (day after Key West), being our 1st sea day.

I wonder if the port is open and Disney decided that GC would not live up to our expectations due to lack of repairs.

:confused: I just called DCL and got an agent who said we are still going to Costa Maya. Not that this means much since the agents are usually the last to know but I wanted to let you all know what she told me. It looks like Costa Maya.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter