• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$160 a person for corona virus testing for incoming Hawaii visitors

VandVsmama

DIS Veteran
According to this report on the KHON news website, "the cost to the traveler will be $140 plus another $20 for administrative fees" for the corona virus test that you'll need to get done 72 hr before flying into Hawaii.

Of course, the alternative is to quarantine indoors for 2 weeks. No car rental. No stopping at a grocery store for food. No going to restaurants, the beach, anywhere. No stepping outside your hotel or condo lodging.

According to this report on the KHON news website, "the cost to the traveler will be $140 plus another $20 for administrative fees" for the corona virus test that you'll need to get done 72 hr before flying into Hawaii.

Of course, the alternative is to quarantine indoors for 2 weeks. No car rental. No stopping at a grocery store for food. No going to restaurants, the beach, anywhere. No stepping outside your hotel or condo lodging.
Don't those amounts add up to $160? The thread title says $180. Maybe that was a typo?

Regardless, I think this plan will go over like a lead balloon with prospective travelers from the mainland, especially families. It's so invasive (I've had a Covid test and they're quite unpleasant- they go way up your nose, not just a little bit). How many parents are going to have their kids endure this test just for a vacation? Not to mention that the cost of testing for a family of 4 would be $640. Double ouch.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Don't those amounts add up to $160? The thread title says $180. Maybe that was a typo?

Regardless, I think this plan will go over like a lead balloon with prospective travelers from the mainland, especially families. It's so invasive (I've had a Covid test and they're quite unpleasant- they go way up your nose, not just a little bit). How many parents are going to have their kids endure this test just for a vacation? Not to mention that the cost of testing for a family of 4 would be $640. Double ouch.

Yes. My math ain't so good today. I'll fix that. :-)

So I just read this article and it's not a rule yet thank goodness! From what I am reading and understanding is that you have to have documentation to enter Hawaii saying that you tested negative for COVID. You don't have to get tested once you are there or am I reading this wrong? I just booked my airfare for the end of October. I hope this doesn't take effect or won't be in effect by then

If you don't want to quarantine there for 2 weeks, then you have to get a COVID-19 test 72 hr before you fly to Hawaii. And you have to bring documentation with you showing the negative test results. This becomes effective August 1st.

Everyone should be aware that test results are taking a long time currently. Not sure if that will change. Expect at least 5-7 days. My neighbors (4 of them) were tested last Friday in suburbs of Dallas and only One of them has their result back after a week. Also, one of my friends posted this from Houston:
If you are in Houston and are looking to get tested for COVID, DO NOT go to CVS/Minute Clinic. Wait times for test results are now 7 business days (and labs are not working over the weekend), which, imo, defeats the purpose of getting tested. Not sure if this is state run, lab run (Quest, LabCorp), or CVS related, but testing is definitely an issue here. And unfortunately, there aren't many other options. Yet, another reason for the surge in this city.

Everyone should be aware that test results are taking a long time currently. Not sure if that will change. Expect at least 5-7 days. My neighbors (4 of them) were tested last Friday in suburbs of Dallas and only One of them has their result back after a week. Also, one of my friends posted this from Houston:
If you are in Houston and are looking to get tested for COVID, DO NOT go to CVS/Minute Clinic. Wait times for test results are now 7 business days (and labs are not working over the weekend), which, imo, defeats the purpose of getting tested. Not sure if this is state run, lab run (Quest, LabCorp), or CVS related, but testing is definitely an issue here. And unfortunately, there aren't many other options. Yet, another reason for the surge in this city.
I think the special deal with CVS will include expedition of test results. One reason why you have to pay $160 for this particular test & not just get a free test.

I understand the reason for requiring the testing. But it's a high cost and invasive enough that our family is going to opt out of travel to Hawaii for a couple of years until you no longer need a long Q-tip shoved all the way up to your brain just to go on a beach vacation. :-) I think we're going to explore Florida instead or maybe we'll also do a few nights in the San Diego area. There's a pretty nice hotel in La Jolla that's right on the beach!

I think the special deal with CVS will include expedition of test results. One reason why you have to pay $160 for this particular test & not just get a free test.
[/QUO

Fortunately where I live results are coming back in 48 hours

The alternative... don't go to Hawaii!!! Thankfully, we all have choices.

Great3

Sorry to make you mad / angry JM23457. I for one, won't do the coronavirus test even if I really want to go to Hawaii. I go to Hawaii every year, except I had to cancel this year. I still have one week left booked for Oct this year, but will probably move it as well, because I ain't spending two weeks in a hotel room, and I ain't going to pay for my family and I to get tested just so we can go.

Great3

Sorry to make you mad / angry JM23457. I for one, won't do the coronavirus test even if I really want to go to Hawaii. I go to Hawaii every year, except I had to cancel this year. I still have one week left booked for Oct this year, but will probably move it as well, because I ain't spending two weeks in a hotel room, and I ain't going to pay for my family and I to get tested just so we can go.

Great3
Oops! Sorry, I had meant to press the sad button, not mad button. I want to go to Hawaii next year & hope these restrictions won't get in the way.

Oops! Sorry, I had meant to press the sad button, not mad button. I want to go to Hawaii next year & hope these restrictions won't get in the way.

Okay, that makes much more sense. I was quite surprise and taken back by the mad/angry reaction that I felt I needed to explain myself better. Yeah, it makes me sad too, because I originally had 3 weeks booked for Hawaii this year. I am already booked for 2 weeks next year for May 2021, and will probably book another 2 weeks since we aren't going this year. So I really hope things get better by than.

Great3

but what happens if someone in your group tests positive and is asymptomatic...pretty hard to book a vacation there with this hanging over your head that it could get cancelled 3 days out.
This too. Good travel insurance would cover the costs, but it would definitely be sad for everyone.

This is going to be a problem. You will have false negative/false positive tests, ones where the family will not get the results back in time, people that will test negative then go to Target to get last minute items and become infected, etc. There are too many variables to make this an efficient system. Not to mention the cost, good grief. This feels more like one of the "feel good" measures that they are putting out there to make it look like they are doing something.

This too. Good travel insurance would cover the costs, but it would definitely be sad for everyone.

Travel insurance will not cover time share points. So if you are DVC and are using your point, and are past the date that you can bank, you will loose your points. Maybe Disney will work with you and maybe they will not.

Travel insurance will not cover time share points. So if you are DVC and are using your point, and are past the date that you can bank, you will loose your points. Maybe Disney will work with you and maybe they will not.
Right, I was referring to dollars spent. I think timeshare sales are going to fall off a cliff due to Covid. People don't take the ability to travel for granted anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter