18% Gratutiy

.........Only thing I can see that might have been missed is the $65.00 you have to pay to get the card to begin with.

Spend $65 to save 2%...what a deal! :rotfl2:

Any financial wizards want to estimate if it would be better to put $65 in the bank for a year instead?

I know it's at least some savings instead of nothing on alcohol, but it just doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I was considering this as an alternative to DDP next year but really don't see the savings.

I started to get all worked up about this, but then I thought it through. I usually tip 20%, so this will actually save me money on most servers. There are many people who don't tip well due to either ignorance or mean-spiritedness, so this new policy is really leveling out the playing field for the average, good server.

On the other hand, if service is terrible (like my Ohana nightmare that I recently posted here), I will tip poorly. With this new policy, I think that if I have really sub-standard service, like I did at Ohana, I will call the manager over and have him adjust the service bill down to what I want to tip. I, like the pper said, can not image that they will force me to pay 18% if I had a terrible experience.

Any financial wizards want to estimate if it would be better to put $65 in the bank for a year instead?

I know it's at least some savings instead of nothing on alcohol, but it just doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I was considering this as an alternative to DDP next year but really don't see the savings.

You still always had to leave a tip and the tip should be pre-discount not after the 20%. The standard tip for dinner is 15 to 20% so the 18% is kind of right in the middle.

Let's see, now if I use the 65.00 for wine...there's a nice pinot noir Disney sells for about 8.00 a glass. DH and I can get a total of 8 glasses, not including gratuity. I think I'll just use the 65.00 toward a little vino. :rotfl:

This is an interesting point. What if you do pay cash and decide you don't want to tip 18%? Even if it is 'added on' to the check already what's stopping me from paying less (or more) to reflect the actual tip I want to pay.

Is a Disney restaurant manager going to chase after me if I don't pay the full amount of what is presented to me? Legally I am only responsible for the amount of the food - are they going call the Orlando Police if refuse to pay the full 18%?

I guess I just hate the idea of being told what I 'have' to tip. Everyone who knows me knows I am very empathetic to the plight of the Disney Cast Member and their salary struggles. I in no way want to 'cheat' anyone out of a decent wage or tip - but the idea of making me pay a certain amount really rubs me the wrong way.

This is one of the things I hate about the Disney Cruise - how your gratuity is already added to all alcohol and soda purchases made at a bar. Even if you order soda through room service the gratuity is added.

It will interesting to see how this actually plays out.

John

Hi John! (Still love the podcast!)

There was an interesting situation here in upstate NY a few years ago. A restaurant added a gratuity to a larger party, and they didn't pay it. The restaurant called the police. Here is an article about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/nyregion/15tipper.html

I think it is very interesting, and am curious to see what will happen with Disney. I am a good tipper, even with bad service (sorry, I am non-confrontational and waited tables in college), so it doesn't really affect me, but I do find the implications fascinating!

This is actually going to save us money. We usually tip 20%. Sure, its not much of a savings.

Just so that people don't think I'm heartless, I do tip more (typically 25%) for certain servers at special places, like Pok at AP, or Oscar at YSH. But for other places, I've fallen into the over-tipping trap of just figuring 20% at some "run of the mill" kind of places.

This is actually going to save us money. We usually tip 20%. Sure, its not much of a savings.

Just so that people don't think I'm heartless, I do tip more (typically 25%) for certain servers at special places, like Pok at AP, or Oscar at YSH. But for other places, I've fallen into the over-tipping trap of just figuring 20% at some "run of the mill" kind of places.

Don't you just love Oscar?!! He's been one of our favorites for I don't know, 10 years or so.

I understand that there is a great deal of debate on this subject but according to Disney management, this is an "across the board" policy for all guests dining at a table service location.

I can not guarantee that Disney wont change this policy due to public outcr, but I am told that this is currently the new policy.

Yep this is going to be a problem. I supposed they added this automatic gratuity because they are taking it out of the DDP and in fear that people will forget to tip (because for the past 3 years or so it has been included).

I know that I don't tip 18% at a buffet, so when we do those, we will be calling a manager over to adjust the tip accordingly.

I wonder how long there will be a wait to see a manager now and how busy he/she will be adjusting bills left and right.

OK - so let's look at the numbers to see if the DDE card really is a good deal. I am using nice round numbers because my brain already hurts thinking about doing math. Your mileage may vary.............

With DDE Card
Cost of dinner (estimated) = $100
18% Gratuity before discount = $18
20% DDE Discount = $20
Final Cost = $100 - $20 + $18 = $98

Without DDE Card
Cost of dinner (estimated) = $100
18% Gratuity before discount = $18
Final Cost = $100 + $18 = $118

Savings with DDE card = $20
Cost of DDE Card = $65
# of $100 meals to 'break-even' point = 3.25
or $325 in meals

After $325 is when the discounts for DDE start to actually save you money over and above the purchase of the card.

If I put $65 in my PayPal money market account right now I would get less than 5% interest - so let's say for the sake of argument it is 5% interest.

Simple interest would pay $3.25 in one year on that $65 - compounding might bring it up to $4.00 - let's say $5.00 in interest in one year.

So if you plan on spending more than $330 in table service meals at Disney in one year then the DDE plan is worth it.

Granted, not everyone might spend that in a year. Being local and doing the restaurant reviews for the podcast I still think DDE is a good deal for us.

John

OOOPS - Forgot to add back in the $65 cost of the card itself. The 'break-even' point of the DDE card being worth it (especially after the 18% gratuity becomes mandatory for everyone) would be $395.

Ok, I am SOOO confused right now. Is this new "rule" just for those who pay cash or DDE at a table service restaurant? Or is DDP included in this mess? If DDP is included, then how are they going to do this? Make us pay a bill at every TS meal?? That's one of the main reasons people get the DDP so that we aren't having to pay a "bill" each time we eat!

I guess I just hate the idea of being told what I 'have' to tip. Everyone who knows me knows I am very empathetic to the plight of the Disney Cast Member and their salary struggles. I in no way want to 'cheat' anyone out of a decent wage or tip - but the idea of making me pay a certain amount really rubs me the wrong way.

I've always thought it appropriate to tip a variety of services and have done so willingly. But agreed that making it an automatic condition is not something I agree with :)

I think this topic will run and run. We always stay offsite and going to a Disney restaurant is a treat for us and all add to the holiday experience.

I understand Disney cast members are not well paid but a gratuity is optional. We have visited from Scotland for many years and we do base how many $ we leave on how good the service was - this was my understanding :goodvibes

I can only hope this does not effect the service and spoil the Disney experience !!

Just out of curiosity - does the server get to keep the full 18% gratuity?

Ok, I am SOOO confused right now. Is this new "rule" just for those who pay cash or DDE at a table service restaurant? Or is DDP included in this mess? If DDP is included, then how are they going to do this? Make us pay a bill at every TS meal?? That's one of the main reasons people get the DDP so that we aren't having to pay a "bill" each time we eat!

Through the end of this year the tip is included in the Disney Dining Plan. Starting in January the tip will NOT be included in the plan and it will have to be paid by you. Essentially there will be an 18% tip added to anyone who eats at a Table service restaurant, no matter what their form of payment and no matter how many people are in your party.

So if you plan on spending more than $330 in table service meals at Disney in one year then the DDE plan is worth it.

Granted, not everyone might spend that in a year. Being local and doing the restaurant reviews for the podcast I still think DDE is a good deal for us.

John
We live in Atlanta and it's about a 5-1/2 hour drive for us so we go to WDW from three to five time a year. We eat two table service meals per day because we like the break from the crowds and from the heat so we spend more than $330 in table service meals on each of those trips! Yes the DDE is a good deal for us and I tip more than the 18% for average or better service because, for simplicity and to save time, I generally go with 20% of the total of the bill including tax. I'm on vacation and don't want to spend time and brain power trying to subtract tax and multiply out 15%.

But for Disney to require me to pay a specified gratuity goes against my grain. If the service isn't good and I want to tip 10% or even less, I shouldn't have to call the manager over and debate the merits of my freedom of choice in the matter while at the same time loosing valuable park touring time.

Through the end of this year the tip is included in the Disney Dining Plan. Starting in January the tip will NOT be included in the plan and it will have to be paid by you. Essentially there will be an 18% tip added to anyone who eats at a Table service restaurant, no matter what their form of payment and no matter how many people are in your party.

Well this just stinks. I am starting to regret getting the DP in '08.:sad2:

We've all seen Disney roll out ideas and pull them back after a great deal of negative response. Who here thinks that this is one of those cases - they are testing public response to see if they can get that 18% back to the servers. Remember, DDP included the gratuity until recently - which meant servers might start getting stiffed. This is a great way to get it back, without costing the company a dime.

Or, is this just a precursor to putting the words "service charge" on the bill? You do that, and the guest has no recourse.

How can they justify removing the appertiser and the gratuity from the dining plan reducing the plan by a doller then forcing you to pay the exact same gratuity anyway.

If thats what they wanted to do why not just remove the appertiser reduce the plan by a doller then increase the price by the average gratuity to make things easier?

Hi John! (Still love the podcast!)

There was an interesting situation here in upstate NY a few years ago. A restaurant added a gratuity to a larger party, and they didn't pay it. The restaurant called the police. Here is an article about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/nyregion/15tipper.html

I think it is very interesting, and am curious to see what will happen with Disney. I am a good tipper, even with bad service (sorry, I am non-confrontational and waited tables in college), so it doesn't really affect me, but I do find the implications fascinating!

Interesting, his excuse for not wanting to tip the 18% was he didn't think the food was that good. OKAY so its the servers fault..:confused3

Interesting, his excuse for not wanting to tip the 18% was he didn't think the food was that good. OKAY so its the servers fault..:confused3

I'm not saying the guy isn't an idiot. I am just saying there is some case law for this type of thing. At least one prosecutor says that the term "gratuity" and "mandatory" don't work together. Probably all Disney has to do is change the term gratuity to service charge; but in any case, I found it interesting that this has been hashed out legally already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter