180 + 10 = ADRs booked.

kylieh

DIS Veteran
Update page 4, post 47

I say x weeks to go as I need to save my message to see my ticker.

It's that long until we go to the World. I really feel comfortable in the Australian thread so I thought my pre-trip report would belong best here.

Last day of term 3 we're flying via Dallas to Orlando. DH and I, DD who will be 9, SIL and her DD (our niece) who will be 7.

We're staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, 2 rooms. We really need two rooms. Extended family, lots of girls, DD and DN sometimes, well a lot, squabbling like sisters - they spend a lot of time together - you get the idea. And space!! I did want to go to one of the deluxes but my budget didn't stretch that far for the two rooms. I would be looking about $2k more for just over the week, and then it starts adding up. I thought of renting points and I tried to get a two-bedroom but apart from Saratoga Springs couldn't get a 2 bedroom rental in our $$ range.

I'm glad POFQ is being refurbed, and will be completed before we get there. Queen beds! I thought about staying in Pirate Rooms at Beach Club but they were double beds.

Last year when we were going to DW (before our 7000 changes) I booked under free dining, at least for our room. I hadn't cancelled it for when we were planning DL instead, but something was telling me to hang on for a little longer. Glad I did. I have DD booked as an adult so she has more choices.

SIL and DN are on the current % off, but I got them regular dining plan as well so we all have the same and I don't need to worry about that either. If free dining comes out again I'll look at changing them if it's cost effective.

Here is the plan, including ADRs, and probably will get our tickets as Hoppers.

Day 1, Friday. Arrive 8.30pm into Orlando. Going to get a town car/limo/van to take us to POFQ. The thought of Magic Express and getting our own bags after the trip over doesn't do a lot for us!

Day 2, Saturday. At some stage head to MK. No lunch plans. Dinner at Chef Mickey's. DD wants to do that one

Day 3, Sunday. Epcot. Princess Makeover :scared1: and lunch at Akerhaus. DD wants to do Akerhaus for her chance to see Belle in her ballgown. DN wants lunch in the Castle. So we're doing both! We'll head probably to DTD BBB for DN to have her hair done then bus to Epcot. DD doesn't want the BBB (at this stage) as there is no hair suitable for her. Aaaahhh, 8 years olds. No dinner plans.

Day 4, Monday. Disney Hollywood Studios. Lunch at Primetime.

Day 5, Tuesday. Magic Kingdom. Breakfast when we're nice and fresh at CRT. This one is for DN. DH might do his Steam Train tour this morning whilst the rest of us are a breaky. After a lunch time rest we'll come back for Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party. I'm thinking of going as a pirate.

Day 6: Wednesday. We're spliting off into two groups here. DH and I are planning a day tour to Kennedy Space Centre. SIL will take both girls probably to Animal Kingdom. Thinking they may attending Rainforest Cafe for Lunch, but really no idea yet.

Day 7: Thursday. Some shopping, DD wants to go to M&Ms World. I would like to go to Sephora. Fortunately they are both in the same centre. Thinking of Chefs De France for an early dinner so we can see Remy hopefully.

Day 8: Friday. Not sure about the AM. Early dinner at Le Cellair, but that might change. Then by complete coincidence a colleague of DH's is in DW overlapping a few days of ours. So together we're planning on sharing a boat for Illuminations.

Day 9: Home time! I booked an extra night so we don't have to worry about not being fresh when we leave. Again we'll probably get a town car, which will give us an extra 1/2 hour or so. Might do a nice breakfast, but not sure yet.

So that's it. For now! When the hours and confirmation of EMH and MNSSHP comes out then I'll be able to set our plans a bit firmer. We're avoiding parks on EMH days.

Oohh! I'll be first...and have the honour of picking one thread or the other. And then you can go back and do "stupid double post" on the other one.

FANTASTIC and Congratulations on your new PTR.

Subbing in..

princess::upsidedow

Oohh! I'll be first...and have the honour of picking one thread or the other. And then you can go back and do "stupid double post" on the other one.

FANTASTIC and Congratulations on your new PTR.

Subbing in..

princess::upsidedow

Thanks PrincessInOz!! I can't believe I did a double post. Everything locked up for a bit, and you know how it goes. ;)

This is my third PTR. My previous two were for trips to DL, can't believe 3 trips, about 18 months apart. Never thought we would do that.

Sounds like a great plan :thumbsup2 And the 7 months will no doubt fly by!

Thanks PrincessInOz!! I can't believe I did a double post. Everything locked up for a bit, and you know how it goes. ;)

This is my third PTR. My previous two were for trips to DL, can't believe 3 trips, about 18 months apart. Never thought we would do that.

You don't have to tell me!! I soooo understand! :lmao:

We'll be there at exactly the same time, also in POFQ!

By the way the Magical Express is fine. We have caught it for the last two years. Hop off the plane at MCO, get the shuttle monorail to the main terminal, go downstairs, claim your suitcase, continue to the ME desk, they load your suitcases under the bus, the ME takes you straight to the hotel, they get the suitcases out from under the bus, and you check in.

People we met on the plane last time also going to the Pop arranged a limo because they thought the ME was all too hard - and we got there before they did! We just finished checking in when they came through the front door.

Looks like we will be there just a week after you! However, we'll be at your neighbouring hotel, POR, as we are a family-of-five and need an Alligator Bayou room :thumbsup2

Looks like you are going to have a great time:banana:. I did exactly the same thing when I started my PTR, I started 2 threads, I did leave a message for the moderators to delete 1 but it never happened :confused3 oh well.

Where is M&M World? I have never heard of it.

Can't wait to read more popcorn::

Sounds like a great plan!

I would vote for the ME as well. It made it so easy after 24 hours of travel. We didn't pick up our luggage, just gave them our luggage stubs and they delivered it to our rooms. We arrived at MCO at 6pm and our suitcases were in our rooms before 10pm. If you prefer to just crash as soon as you get there, just pack night stuff in your carry one, you can ask for the luggage to be delivered to your room in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your replies. A couple of more updates/changes :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Changes and notes are in blue!

We've decided to hire a car, but not for the whole week. On the Sunday we'll pop up to Hertz and get the car which is in the Bonnet Creek Resort, looking at Google Maps about 1km from Epcot. Return the car on Friday afternoon.

Day 1, Friday. Arrive 8.30pm into Orlando. Going to get a town car/limo/van to take us to POFQ. The thought of Magic Express and getting our own bags after the trip over doesn't do a lot for us! DH is convinced on getting the van/limo. He wants the bags straight away, etc. I've just spend $10k on airfares, accom, entries, etc, what's another $130 between friends. :scared1:

Day 2, Saturday. At some stage head to MK. No lunch plans. Dinner at Chef Mickey's. DD wants to do that one

Day 3, Sunday. Epcot. Princess Makeover and then it changes. Thinking of dinner now so we can go early, do a heap of stuff, go back rest up, get changed into gowns and head back for an early dinner Akerhaus. Whilst the girls are resting with SIL DH and I will pick up the car and bring it back to the resort. I think Hertz have the pickup/drop off at that location too, so we might use that. Because DD doesn't want to do BBB nor does DN. SIL can easily do both their hair princess like.

Day 4, Monday. Shopping and rest day. We'll drive up to M&Ms, maybe the outlets on the way back. Probably book a 4.50/5pm sitting for dinner at Chef's De France. A cab fare is estimated at $45 each way to go to M&Ms, and that was the catalyst for getting the car.

Day 5, Tuesday. Magic Kingdom. Breakfast when we're nice and fresh at CRT. This one is for DN. DH might do his Steam Train tour this morning whilst the rest of us are a breaky. After a lunch time rest we'll come back for Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party. I'm thinking of going as a pirate.

Day 6: Wednesday. We're spliting off into two groups here. DH and I are going to Kennedy Space Centre. We'll take the car. SIL will take both girls to DHS. Lunch at Primetime for the three of them.

Day 7: Thursday. We're off to AK, 8am start. CS Lunch. Rest, dinner at Rainforest Cafe I think in DTD.

Day 8: Friday. Probably take DD to DHS as she want's to ride Tower of Terror (this week anyway :laughing:) SIL Won't be able to take her on the Wednesday as DN is probably too short and definitely too scared. Not too sure on what the others are doing! Return the car. . Early dinner at Le Cellair, but that might change. Then by complete coincidence a colleague of DH's is in DW overlapping a few days of ours. So together we're planning on sharing a boat for Illuminations.

Day 9: Home time! I booked an extra night so we don't have to worry about not being fresh when we leave. Again we'll probably get a town car, which will give us an extra 1/2 hour or so. Might do a nice breakfast, but not sure yet.

Truly, the ME is absolutely fine - they are a fleet of huge, comfortable, clean, new air conditioned coaches with a Welcome to Disney video that shows during the journey from the airport to the hotel to get you in the mood. And you can take your luggage with you, you absolutely don't have to wait for it - it's put under the coach so it doesn't clog up the aisles and you don't have to handle it yourself, the assistants will put it under the coach at the airport, and the bellhops will remove it for you at the hotel, pile it on a trolley and take it right to your room when you check in. I've done both as I thought the ME would be a hassle and believe me, once I tried the ME I could have kicked myself for the money I spent on private transport. But if you have your heart set on a van....(don't forget to tip the driver)

With regard to car rental - have you compared your Hertz quote with National? They have two on property collection spots and they'll shuttle you to and from your Disney resort to pick up and drop off the car, no charge.

M&M's World is fun, but bear in mind it's a shop inside the Florida Mall (think Westfields) - I hope the family aren't too disappointed thinking it's a "World" (like a theme park or something). You could easily spend a day at Florida Mall just shopping.

If you want to take on the outlet malls it helps to have an attack plan as they're pretty big. If your time is limited to a couple of hours, try and work out in advance what shops you want to go to if you want to buy something specific (like shoes, sunglasses, handbages, luggage etc). It also helps to know your prices.

Just a tip - even if you're driving give yourselves plenty of time to make it to your restaurant bookings if you're going to a park for a specific meal. The first time we went to EPCOT for dinner we left the hotel about 20mins before the booking time - MISTAKE. I'd hate for you to miss a treasured booking like we did so...

1. You need to "check in" a the restaurant at least 10 mins before your booking time, especially at the really popular restaurants like Le Cellier.

2. Bear in mind you have to drive from wherever you are to the park, then park the car in the lot wherever they assign you, which could be a very long way from the entrance. If it is, you need to wait for a buggy/shuttle to take you to the entrance, go through security, and then walk to the restaurant inside the park - this could easily take an hour, especially at EPCOT.

Also - when you do park your car - if you have a digital camera, take a photo of your parking space number and then a photo of the section "marker" so you don't lose track of your car. Those parking lots are massive and you can get lost! Especially if you arrive in the daylight and try to leave in the dark. We also took a photo of the number plate of the rental car to check we had the right vehicle! Those car rental fleets can all look alike - when you're looking for a while Corolla in a flock of white Corollas....

I hope you have a blast at WDW!!!!

Truly, the ME is absolutely fine - they are a fleet of huge, comfortable, clean, new air conditioned coaches with a Welcome to Disney video that shows during the journey from the airport to the hotel to get you in the mood. And you can take your luggage with you, you absolutely don't have to wait for it - it's put under the coach so it doesn't clog up the aisles and you don't have to handle it yourself, the assistants will put it under the coach at the airport, and the bellhops will remove it for you at the hotel, pile it on a trolley and take it right to your room when you check in. I've done both as I thought the ME would be a hassle and believe me, once I tried the ME I could have kicked myself for the money I spent on private transport. But if you have your heart set on a van....(don't forget to tip the driver)

With regard to car rental - have you compared your Hertz quote with National? They have two on property collection spots and they'll shuttle you to and from your Disney resort to pick up and drop off the car, no charge.

M&M's World is fun, but bear in mind it's a shop inside the Florida Mall (think Westfields) - I hope the family aren't too disappointed thinking it's a "World" (like a theme park or something). You could easily spend a day at Florida Mall just shopping.

If you want to take on the outlet malls it helps to have an attack plan as they're pretty big. If your time is limited to a couple of hours, try and work out in advance what shops you want to go to if you want to buy something specific (like shoes, sunglasses, handbages, luggage etc). It also helps to know your prices.

Just a tip - even if you're driving give yourselves plenty of time to make it to your restaurant bookings if you're going to a park for a specific meal. The first time we went to EPCOT for dinner we left the hotel about 20mins before the booking time - MISTAKE. I'd hate for you to miss a treasured booking like we did so...

1. You need to "check in" a the restaurant at least 10 mins before your booking time, especially at the really popular restaurants like Le Cellier.

2. Bear in mind you have to drive from wherever you are to the park, then park the car in the lot wherever they assign you, which could be a very long way from the entrance. If it is, you need to wait for a buggy/shuttle to take you to the entrance, go through security, and then walk to the restaurant inside the park - this could easily take an hour, especially at EPCOT.

Also - when you do park your car - if you have a digital camera, take a photo of your parking space number and then a photo of the section "marker" so you don't lose track of your car. Those parking lots are massive and you can get lost! Especially if you arrive in the daylight and try to leave in the dark. We also took a photo of the number plate of the rental car to check we had the right vehicle! Those car rental fleets can all look alike - when you're looking for a while Corolla in a flock of white Corollas....

I hope you have a blast at WDW!!!!
Thanks Oz - kateer

Thanks for the tip about taking a pic of the number plate. I knew to take a pic of the area where we've parked, but not the number plate. I'll add that to my list! I'm not sure that we'll take the car each day to the parks. When in DL last year we hardly used the car, but really appreciated having it when we did need it including an emergency dash to the chemist one night a 9.30pm!

I checked National and a few others - they worked out more than Hertz! My work has an agreement with Hertz including worldwide and we get some significant discounts including for leisure use. Including all insurances for the 5 days it was around $250 cheaper for the 5 days for a car size like a Commodore (can't remember the name of the car.)

We did M&Ms in Las Vegas and DD is desperate to go back and view the wall of M&M colours. Can't work that out. There is a Sephora as well so I'll pop in there. At the malls on the way back we may leave SIL and DN there (agreed too! :rolleyes1) and they can cab back to the hotel. Reason being DH, DD, and I have done more than our fare share of outlet shopping on previous trips, and I think looking at the list probably only Sketchers, GAP, Eddie Bauer, Van Heusen, Disney Character, and Gymboree. It's SIL and DN's first time to the USA and they can't wait to go shopping.

Thanks for the info about ME as well - taking the bags with us. Is the walk from baggage pick up far from the bus? DD is unable most of time to drag luggage (physical issues), and I'm guess DN will be too tired to help or care! So DH, SIL and I may have 4 to 5 bag between us, plus a small carryon each + the girls. But I'm thinking there is carts! Might still do ME. Don't need to decide yet.

I recommend ME. You'll be travelling international and you won't necessarily be provided with the bag tags; unless you booked through an American TA.

We used ME and didn't use the express bag check going or leaving. As Ozkateer said - you pull the bags off the carousel and head up (or was it down) the escalators to where ME check in is. It took us about 2 or 3 minutes tops to walk there.

We took the bags to the driver and he placed them under the bus. When we disembarked, he pulled the bags out. We gave him a tip for this; but it was much cheaper than $130.

On the way out, because we were international travellers, we didn't express check-in our bags either. If Disney check it in, you will be charged the American fees for baggage. The Disney CM just don't know how to deal with that. So, we did the same thing - checked it with the driver, pulled it out at the airport, headed for the airline counter and weren't charged anything for our luggage.

7 months to go!!!!!

It's changed. Again. And will again between now and then. Can't wait to get the ADRs in so then I can't say... ooh, might do that instead...:lmao:

Here are my ADRs for now. When there is a gap we're eating QS or offsite. We are together more a family that eats early than late hence early reservations then have a snack perhaps at 7 or 8pm if needed. We tend to be early risers and fortunately SIL and DN are too.

Saturday
B:
L:
D: Crystal Palace, 5pm

Sunday
B:
L:
D: Akerhaus Princess Dinner 4.30pm

Monday:
B: 1900 Park Fare
L:
D: Chefs De France 5pm

Tuesday:
B: CRT, 8AM
L:
D: (It's MNSSHP tonight!)

Wednesday
B:
L: Prime Time (for SIL, DD, and DN, DH and I are lunching with an astronaut at Kennedy.
D:

Thursday:
B: Tusker House, 8AM
L: Rainforest Cafe (AK) 2PM
D:

Friday:
B:
L:
D: Rose and Crown or Le Cellair, 5pm

Saturday Home Day
B: Chef Mickeys 9AM
L
D: Qantas :laughing:

We're doing a lot of buffets so we can get a heap of characters in. And we've got a wide range of tastes involved. I'm doing 99.9% of the planning and everyone is saying "whatever you think...." and similar. :rotfl:

Thanks for the info about ME as well - taking the bags with us. Is the walk from baggage pick up far from the bus? DD is unable most of time to drag luggage (physical issues), and I'm guess DN will be too tired to help or care! So DH, SIL and I may have 4 to 5 bag between us, plus a small carryon each + the girls. But I'm thinking there is carts! Might still do ME. Don't need to decide yet.

Sorry I never got back and responded to you on this! The walk from baggage pick up to the bus - well, it depends on what you mean by far. It's a couple of minutes, tops, but like you said, there are carts. We came downstairs to the luggage carousels, got the bags, put them on a cart, walked down to where the ME is (same level), checked in for ME, they directed us to the correct queue, we waited all of about 3 minutes, and they came and got us to board. All we did was wheel out the cart to the waiting coach and they did the rest. Never touched my bags again until I was in the room at the Pop - they loaded them up under the coach, off loaded them at the hotel, and the porters at the hotel took them to the room.

Sorry I never got back and responded to you on this! The walk from baggage pick up to the bus - well, it depends on what you mean by far. It's a couple of minutes, tops, but like you said, there are carts. We came downstairs to the luggage carousels, got the bags, put them on a cart, walked down to where the ME is (same level), checked in for ME, they directed us to the correct queue, we waited all of about 3 minutes, and they came and got us to board. All we did was wheel out the cart to the waiting coach and they did the rest. Never touched my bags again until I was in the room at the Pop - they loaded them up under the coach, off loaded them at the hotel, and the porters at the hotel took them to the room.

Thanks Oz-kateer. There is trolleys, so I think we'll be ok to do the whole luggage ourselves. Qantas should be running the Dallas flights around 50% PAX capacity :cool1: so the flight overall will be a lot easier, and we'll have more energy.

We're going Deluxe Dining. I updated our plans yesterday. Our room is coming off Free Dining so it wasn't as much of a $$ upgrade. SIL's room is 1A and 1C from standard dining.

I added some more restuarants thinking it would be good for a break in the day. Counter service for us even when it isn't busy normally took 1/2 or more anyway so I figure we'll take an hour to eat instead and sit in air con, not line up, etc.

Then I did some maths, and some more maths, and some more. Based on a middle item from menus - ie, not the cheapest or the most exe added on the tax and we are just in front on deluxe dining Maybe $10! So not much really, call it break even. Takes into account the "free dining" vs room discount. But we also can have "appetiser" and "entree" and "desert." Or as I call it entree and main and desert!:lmao:

So I figure for the less stress (we're taking/paying for SIL and DN) I might as well get the deluxe.

Dont forget to add on tips!

For our family of five this can be up to $40 per meal. (without appetizers)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter