1st time in WDW solo - need reassurance

lc1965

One of them Disney freaks!
I was planning a trip to WDW for the 1st week of November -- haven't been in 3 years!! -- & my friend backed out last night. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm devastated. I actually cannot put the trip off until she can go because I have business to conduct in Orlando that week.

Here's where I need help -- I dislike travelling alone. It gets lonesome & I start to feel as if I have no friends in all the world. After all -- why else would I need to travel alone? Of course it's irrational, but I get that way sometimes. I couldn't possibly go to Orlando & NOT go to WDW. Please tell me what you do to avoid any loneliness when travelling alone. How do you fill your time when not actually ON or IN an attraction? Do you seem surrounded by families who don't want to chat w/ you on line & waiting for parades & fireworks?

Thanks. :sad2:

This will be of no help whatsoever because I cannot bring myelf to go alone! I hope lots of solos reply because it will be interesting.

There is another similar thread going..if I can find it I'll post the link.

A couple of years ago we met a teacher who was checking out of AKL while we were checking in . She said she was in Orlando for a conference and just had to spend some time at Disney, so she stayed 5 nights at AKL after the conference (Conf was at an Orl hotel). She said the CM's were great and people were esp nice to her because she was alone.

I don't know - I like having someone to share the fun, to eat with etc...

Good luck!!!

edit: here's the thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=658743

Cast Members!

If the tourists aren't receptive to conversation, talk to the cast members...they are from all over the world, read their tag, see where they are from and ask them about it.

Most are very receptive~Some can even be alot of fun!

Enjoy your trip! Relax! Have Fun! Make new friends!

:goodvibes

Remember that hardly anyone knows you're alone. So many people are alone only for a few minutes-spouse napping, bathroom, etc. Once I realized I didn't stick out like a sore thumb being solo, so no one felt bad for me, then I felt alot better. Another thing that can help you feel better is to help those "pack-mule" Moms (which alot of us have been)-you know, the ones trying to juggle a couple kids, strollers, jackets, all the assorted stuff. Then tell them you're solo, and see their look of envy. I remember sitting on a bus once, and the woman sitting next to me had a toddler on her lap, jackets, diaper bag, and who knows what else, but alot! I offered to hold some of the stuff on my lap, and when she got up to leave and turned to thank me, I said "That's OK, I'm alone, so I've got lots of extra room." Boy, the look on her face made me so glad I had the opportunity to go solo.

You can also volunteer to take people's pictures.

families really love it when you do it.

I have never had a problem talking to people in line - if the one in front of me doesn't respond - generally the one behind me will....

I get at food counters not restuarants - unless I am meeting someone.

I don't like to eat out - food allergies - so long ago I joined DVC - Disney version of a timeshare - there rooms have at least a kitchennett - the 1-bedroom and up have a full kitchen.

At the parks if I don't feel like talking to anyone (and sometimes I don't). I bring a book to read in line. Or a tape player - sometimes a game. just depends.

the most alone I feel is when I am with family and I want to do something that they don't want to do....makes me mad and I wonder while I brought these nuts (I paid for everything).

Last May, I had the opportunity to go solo for one day. I chose my favorite park, Epcot. I got there before noon and planned on taking a mid day break. HA, who was I kidding! I had such a great time, I never left the park until almost 10pm!!!

I never felt alone. While waiting for Illuminations, I met up with a couple who were waiting right next to me. We talked for almost an hour while waiting. Just remember, most people at WDW are happy to talk to others. Just stay away from those who don't look like they are happy.

I spent about two hours just sitting on benches, people watching. I spent alot of time going into the stores in the different countries and it was great being able to take my time and not worry about DH waiting for me!!!

I, too, used counter service to eat. I ate many times, small amounts, because that was what I wanted to do! I had cheesecake and fruit one time and sat by the fountains and just watched people walk by getting wet. I got a glass of wine in Italy and sat on a bench and enjoy the view while drinking it.

I had such a great time, I have a four day solo trip planned in December. So beware, going solo is habit forming!

Have a great time.

:wave:

I am truly amazed!

Do not think I could go solo, but it is great for those who do!!

Buy or rent a <B><I><a href="http://www.palmickey.net">Pal Mickey</A></I></B> and carry him with you everywhere in the parks. People will talk to you. I promise. :teeth:

I would be happy to hang out with you at the parks, but unfortunately I will be on another Disney cruise and do not get back until Nov. 6. But I really don't think you will feel too alone if you smile, take pictures for those who seem in need, and keep an eye out for other solos who may be feeling a bit awkward themselves. If all else fails, do what I do - - Head for the characters! Have a magical time! :smooth:

You guys are the greatest. I just LOVE this board. I am definitely going & will bring a book & a journal. I journaled every morning at breakfast when I was on a business trip to Tokyo. It really helped, so I appreciate that bit of advice very much. I'm not much of a sit-down diner, so I do like the food courts. I remember that on all my vacations I relished eating breakfast alone -- it was wonderful to people-watch & enjoy the POR food court (such a lovely view). Great things can happen when you're alone, I know. One morning a small boy (maybe 7 or 8) was alone while his mom went to the beverage area for coffee. The poor kid knocked over his cup & actually cried over spilt milk. I don't even LIKE kids & my heart went out to him. It felt great to be able to help & comfort him until his mom got back. It was a small incident & yet I remember it still, just like all those interesting chats I've had w/ strangers while waiting for parades & Illuminations. Why do I think I need someone with me? Well, I fear the many, many hours of being alone will do me in.

So, if anyone will be at WDW 11/2-5, please let me know! Would love to meet you & chat, get your WDW best tips.

THANKS, everyone! Please don't stop, though -- would love to hear more of people's experiences, esp. their 1st time solo. :wave2:

This will be my 2nd trip solo. Actually going to FL for work and then staying 3 extra days to play.
I like being solo, because I'm on no one's schedule but my own. I can also do things that I normally can't when kids are with me.
This trip I'm doing the KTTK tour, will stroll around the F & W festival and will snorkel with sharks at Sea World. I'm packing a lot into this short trip. Will probably need a vacation when I get back home. :rolleyes:

Terri

I've done the solo Disney thing twice now (although I had spent many days or parts of days alone). You may like the freedom of being able to do what you want when you want to :) It's fun :)

I have never had a problem yapping with the people I'm standing in line with. And others have said, cast members are also great to talk to. I have found the servers at Nine Dragons, the Kona Cafe, and the Concourse Steakhouse to be exceptionally friendly when dining alone.

I also try to meet up with DIS friends when I'm down there. Check out the DISmeet board--maybe someone else has something planned for that time. If not, put a feeler out there and see if someone else is interested.

Go, have fun. Don't worry about being alone. And if you do get too lonely, just find Mickey, and give him a big hug.

Karen

This next trip will be my 6th solo. And I love it.

Let me tell you some of my tricks when traveling solo.

Take a book to read, or music.

Pretend you're doing an article on travel flow of amusement parks, or interaction of families at WDW,or a trip report( I love those). And start writing.

If someone doesn't seem to want to talk to you, REMEMBER, it's them, not you!!!!.. Say it outloud to yourself if needed.

Take a tour. I've done Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom. All of them were great.

I always feel good when I offer to take a picture for a couple or group. I even offered to a family who didn't speak Engish. Thru hand gestures, we got it figured out. They kept bowing to me!!

Have a smile on your face. It's hard to feel lonely when you're smiling.

Go do something you always wanted to do. Mine was ride Thunder Mtn 5 times in a row. (this was in the old days when Sun morning was slow.)

Eat anything anytime as much as you want.

Sit down on a bench and wait. Someone will come by soon and sit next to you. Ask them a question(start with something about WDW). That usually starts a good conversation. Last trip I met a newly graduated Marine and her father. She was to be shipped out to Iraq in a few weeks. I said a little prayer for her safety over there.

Remember how lucky you are to be at WDW. And to have your health. Since I'm over 50, that one keeps coming up more and more!!

I feel totally safe at WDW. I've stayed at Moderates, Values, and Deluxe. All were fine day or night. Next trip is at Riverside.

Being alone does not mean you are unloved. As Keb' Mo's song goes,"You can always love yourself"

Have a great time. Sorry to talk so long.

Susan

I've gone alone, and my Mom used to go alone all the time for conferences. It's actually pretty nice. You get to do whatever you want to do, and no-one really notices that you're not with people because they're busy doing their own thing.

A great benefit is getting to round out 'threes' on rides and jump the line! :teeth:

I know a lot of people say the best part of going solo is not having to worry about what other people want to do, but that's never really been a problem for me. To me, that's just part of being a friend or family member -- in fact, it's the need to compromise that has proven one of the best parts of my previous trips, trying things we wouldn't have if we'd been travelling separately.

I suppose I will bring a book, but I can do that anywhere! I want to go to WDW to experience THAT world, not the world of a book. Can anyone suggest a good Disney-themed book to bring? Perhaps that would be a good compromise.

I also enjoy talking to people on line, even when I'm w/ my friends & family. I take a page from my mom's book -- she'll talk to ANYBODY! lol

In the interest of full disclosure -- since I started this thread, a friend suggested he might go w/ me -- and that prospect THRILLED me. So, I'm thinking I'm not too committed to this solo thing. :rolleyes: But I SWEAR I'm trying. Honest!!

Some people just feel awkward being alone. I'm an only child, so I actually ENJOY being alone. I took a solo vacation to a familiar place a few years ago and it was great.

You just have to remember...no one needs to know that you're alone if you don't want them to. Plenty of groups split up and do their own thing.

Even with all the rave reviews of solo Disney travel I honestly do not think it is for me either. I've enjoyed all the suggestions, but like you, lc1965, I do not feel I ever have to so something I don't enjoy and like the compromises that bring an experience I would not have experienced otherwise. Although there are times when I would sure like to have more time to walk through the shops!

I've read a few DISers mention they were an only and child and that perhaps that has soemthing to do with enjoying solo travel.
I am also an only child, but prefer being with others. I grew up in the military which required many changes and the ability to enjoy strangers who would quickly become new found friends.

Still, the thought of a solo Disney vacation does nothing for me. I enjoy the posts from the solos and maybe one day if I find the only way to go is alone...maybe I'll relent ;)

Thanks everyone!! lc1965, hope your friend goes along - any ofther friends who might be willing to go??

My friend is actually my ex-boyfriend (yeah ... um ... complicated relationship!) -- & he & I work in theatre where everyone is poor & they all think we're crazy for spending money on a vacation when the rent needs to be paid. I don't understand how anyone can live from hand to mouth & never leave town so I plan for it. To each his won, I guess.

But, anyway, I think you hit the nail on the head -- I am famous among my friends for being perfectly content to be by myself -- this very ex has accused me of being TOO independent. But, that doesn't mean I'd voluntarily choose to spend 4 or 5 days alone at WDW.

We'll see. He still says he's going & I still say I'll believe it when I see it. :rolleyes1

~I'm glad you might have company on this trip, IMHO you may still want to take a good book(LOL)~

~Try this book~
The Walt Disney World Trivia Book - Secrets, History & Fun Facts Behind the Magic
You can find it thru-
http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/forums/index.php?
(It is available in book stores, Lou Mongello can tell you where.)

I won one at a DISmeet-it is a very good book. I have to admit I cheat...I find it more interesting to go right to the answers, Lou writes the details so well it's like reading a "guide to WDW."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter